June 4th, 2011

Watch GPS: Muslim Brotherhood, jobs and innovation

On GPS this week, Fareed chats with two top economists: Jeffrey Sachs from Columbia University and Kenneth Rogoff from Harvard. What to do about U.S. debt? How will a disappointing job market affect growth? And then there's that other economic dilemma: Greece. What happens to its burgeoning debt, and who should foot the bill?

Then, to Egypt. We have more from Fareed's recent visit to Cairo. He sat down to talk with a top leader of the Muslim Brotherhood - Essam El Erian. It's a fascinating look into what Egypt might look like a year from now as the Brotherhood gains political power. Will women have equal rights? Will Sharia law gain traction? Why are so many people so suspicious of this group?

And then finally, one of the smartest men to appear on our show, ever. It's Nathan Myhrvold. If you don't know him yet, you really need to. He had a Ph.D. by the age of 23; he studied physics under Steven Hawking; he was Chief Technology Officer at Microsoft; he's a master chef; and a serial inventor whose company holds no fewer than 30,000 patents. We chat with him about all that and his plans to create a safer, cleaner nuclear plant for the future.

And of course, don't forget about our primetime Sunday 8pm ET/PT special, "Restoring the American Dream: How to Innovate."

So tune in Sunday at 10am ET/PT for GPS and 8pm ET/PT for the special.

And stay on CNN.com/GPS.  On Sunday at 8am it will launch its “Global Innovation Showcase” featuring the big ideas and inventions that will change our world.

Post by:
Topics: Economy • Energy • GPS Episodes • GPS Show • Innovation • Jobs

« Previous entry
  1. Charles de Rham

How to Create Jobs in America

This task is clearly the responsibility of the Legislative branch of the American Government.
    They must lower the taxes levied on American businesses to allow them to compete in the global market effectively.
    American businesses would then be willing to hire more people and stockholder profitability would go up.

Note #1: Businesses now pay at least 35% in Federal taxes. With the additional taxes levied on them in some states, the aggregate rate of taxation they face makes in practically impossible to operate competitively in the global market place and to be profitable at the same time.
    Note #2: Financial help for the least affluent among us. The minimum wage can be adjusted handled by adjusting the tax code as we propose to do in the New tax System for America (NTS) details for which are attached.

To: The Secretary of the Treasury
    Washington, DC
    Re: A new tax System for America (NTS)

Dear Mr. Secretary,
    I received a nice letter from the President for submitting my ideas on restructuring the Internal Revenue Service. Attached is a short description of my proposal to change the manner in which we collect taxes in the United States as well as how we could restructure the income tax code. I have been working on this idea for quite a few years. While doing the tax return for my wife and myself, using the latest Turbo-Tax® product, I realized that, if the IRS bought Turbo-Tax and did our taxes for us that would save a lot of administrative bother for tax payers and the IRS and get the data right at the same time! When Turbo-Tax® asked if we wanted to file our taxes electronically, I was certain that we have put the cart before the horse. The IRS has all the data needed to do our taxes for us and 95% of us would agree and acknowledge electronically or otherwise. The IRS already has an 800 number to call to get pass-codes by entering our SSN numbers and I realized that the IRS was already on the same track. This is excellent work on their part. Electronic filing is here!

My proposal makes the IRS into a “service” organization for the American taxpayer. Treasury will want to do this. Americans by the millions already want you to do this. My Web-site (domain name) will store and share this data. The website is not being “ready” yet but we expect to finish it by the second week of June, 2011. We need to implement this proposal this year. We have plenty of time.

My purpose in doing this is to create a process that will pay-down the national debt to manageable levels and let the country get back to work. My analysis leads me to believe, however, that taxpayers in the lowest three or four tax brackets cannot do this this debt by themselves. We need the backing of the wealthiest among us, who are legally able to avoid paying taxes by giving their earnings away to tax-free entities of many kinds. We must curb, but NOT eliminate this practice. My proposal does just that. Specifically, my proposal would limit the income that can be sheltered from taxation. I suggest that we do this with a new Congressional medal – not of honor but for patriotism.
    Best regards,

Charles de Rham

P.S. I was an IBM employee for 34.5 years and a consultant programmer on various assignments for fifteen more years after I retired. I would bid on this job myself, if I were younger. However, I think programmers already working the IRS could get this done in less than six months and I would be proud to get them started on the coding. I managed a special group of 120 programmers and 5 managers at IBM devoted to “special Projects.

June 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Reply
    • j. von hettlingen

According to Forbes Magazine America has the highest concentration of super-rich in the world. I reckon wealth taxes in the U.S. must be palatable for them, otherwise they would have moved to other tax-havens. Isn't it a paradox, that corporate taxes are higher than wealth taxes? No wonder multinational companies rellocate their production and manufacturing to low wage countries and have their holding companies in the Carribean, the Channel Islands or Switzerland to manage the finances. These companies were set up in America. Out of fiscal political reason they see no point to repatriate the profits they make abroad. I do think it's time for these companies to commit themselves to their motherland, out of patriotism!

June 4, 2011 at 5:29 pm | Reply
  2. Bashy Quraishy

In general Fareed Zakaria's GPS programmes are informative but often prejudicial towards Pakistan and the Islamic world. His line of questioning towards ESSAM EL-ERIAN, SPOKESMAN for EGYPT'S MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD reflected very much the perceptions created by CNN and the other western media. There was no effort on his part to be nuanced or balanced in his questions or even listen to what Mr. El-Erian was trying to say.
    The same attitude was very obvious when Mr. Zakaria talked about the so-called 20 billion dollars USA is supposed to have handed over to Pakistan, without any strings attached. Funny enough, to make the amount look eye catching, the figures were shown on screen with all the great numbers of zeros.
    All this is takes an extra dimension, when one realises that Mr. Zakaria has an Indian-Muslim background. To some this fact alone can make his comments partial. If he wants to be taken seriously, he should make an effort to be neutral and objective.
    Kind regards
    Bashy Quraishy
    Secretary General – EMISCO -European Muslim Initiative for Social Cohesion – Strasbourg/Copenhagen
    Chair-Advisory Council-ENAR – Brussels

June 5, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Reply
    • Mina

Oh give me a break. The fact that Fareed Zakaria gave him the time fo day on TV should be commendable. Mr. El-Erian was given the ability to represent his organization well. And Fareed Zakaria related to the problems of Egyptians perfectly. The truth is Mr. El-Erian was exposed in showing how political his answers were and how straight-forward he is avoiding to be in order to look "moderate" or "peaceful." However, the Muslim Brotherhood are now working with groups like the Salafis and Gamaa el Islamiya to gain a stronger voice. And Fareed Zakaria is right for mentioning that Egyptians are worried about them no matter how moderate they try to sound, because they're known to lie at times to gain traction.

June 28, 2011 at 9:31 am | Reply
  3. David Schaum

Fareed, I love your show! Why were you so afraid to ask him any tough questions? He didnt answer any of your questions, but by not answering he did answer so why didnt you push him further to give you a firm answer. It was your first interview where you seemed terrified to ask a tough question and then you gave that nervous smile look after your question.

June 5, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Reply
    • forest

why don't you let us what kind of tough questions you looking for ,david.

June 6, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  4. Joseph B. Houston, Jr.

"Innovation" was a great beginning for a national dialog on creating...and keeping....jobs in America. Education IS the key including an appreciation of Science and Technology Policy and how it affects the process of innovation. Scientists for the most part understand the importance of communicating information and ideas within their profession. However, beginning in 1982, the U.S. began to exercise more and more control over what scientific and technical societies could publish. See Report of the DOD-University Forum for Calendar Year 1984 published by the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (Dr. Edith W. Martin), Washington, D.C. 20301. Technology Transfer and "Dual Use" became by-words. Today, ITARs and EARs contain lists of items which fall into "sensitive" categories and in the opinion of many, produce a chilling effect on disseminating information and publishing within the scientific community as a whole. Obviously, there is a gray area between what is research or knowledge and what is know-how or application. Further discussion with in-depth investigative journalism on this subject could be another winner for CNN. For further information and ideas, CNN might wish to contact Dr. Edith W. Martin, vice president and chief information officer at INTELSAT or John L. Hennessy, President of Stanford University and Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. These two leaders have extensive knowledge AND experience in Technology Transfer Policy issues and have been engaged in these issues at the national level over the past three decades.

Very respectfully yours,

Joseph B. Houston, Jr.
    SPIE President, 1978 and 1979
    SPIE Advanced Technology Advisor, 1982 – 2002
    SPIE Liaison Representative to the DOD-University Forum Working Group on Export Controls, 1984

June 6, 2011 at 1:58 am | Reply
  5. Bruce Razban

Fareed,

Thanks for your emphasis on innovation as one solution to solve the present American high unemployment and inability to compete with Singapore and China among others.

I have lived in a walking distance of Google, NetScape, and others in the heart of American innovation Mecca, the Silicon Valley; I have one patent grant that resulted in a new product line for two giants in industry; I had several patents pending; I was selected as a Silicon Valley leader in the job creation by the White House.

In your program you point out that innovations create jobs. I think this is partially true. A well managed job is the prerequisite for employee job satisfaction that results in inventions and innovations.

In my first book (in Amazon.com) called “Layoffs and Hope” I pointed out in 2009 that one of the most powerful ways for America to recover is to innovate.

But, how can American workers innovate in the age of massive and frequent “at will” layoffs?
    How can Americans innovate when unofficial estimates are that more than 75% of employees hired at Google, and many others are recent arrivals (mostly on H1 Visas) dumping Americans on unemployment? Based on several news reports Google did have alleged age discrimination cases filed against them. American unemployment – even at the so called ideal 4% - costs Americans $3.4 Trillion per year! Our CEOs must decide to go to war with this high unemployment. At this point, they are just as important as the generals in the army to lower the American unemployment!

Do not get me wrong, I admire Google and Apple. However, please take a walk in Silicon Valley; most workers are recent arrivals from India and China.

In “Layoffs and Hope”, I point out that many work places have become toxic; there is little or no job security; outsourcing and layoffs have damaged mutual trust and loyalty that is needed to foster an environment needed for inventions.

I do highly respect Google, and in particular one of their scientists, Wint Serf! I also admire Apple. Yet, your observation was right to the point that Apple manufacturing in China has created a great deal more jobs – in China – that Apple has created here.

At some point in the program, one of the participants was saying that innovations made outside USA will help us too. This is not true. Many of our patents are not respected outside USA, while we fully respect patents of other countries.

My second book, “Foreclosed America” is a true story of what it feels like to lose one’s house. Many foreclosures are a direct side-effect of job loss!

America can and will be the world leader in innovation, if and only if we value our intellectual capital just as much as we value our materials capital.

June 6, 2011 at 4:37 am | Reply
  6. rose macaskie

Fareed Zakaria, i dont know what reasons you had for asking the questions you did to the politition of the muslim brotherhood you interveiwed but the interveiw left me gasping for you to ask other questions. What about getting him to feel over confident and then starting a brotherly conversation abourt how women, as they are different from men, really enjoy being at home did they but know it. What about addressing that long known truth that the religiouse while very good on some bits of moralitiy let other go by the wayside. Sociial and sexual justice for examjple, they tend to support the strong asking the weak to be humble. They are good at stopping sinfulness in women as in sexualy inappropiate behavior while men do what they want . Have you seen the film "Lady and the Taliban", the man is a religiouse teacher and a very abusive person but all the while does not cross islamic law or if he does gets away with it is a relisiouse teacher and the behavioral patterns we see in him are a know facet of religiouse societies. Meaness combined with sanctyimoniousness. They stop sinful sex but are a breedign ground for tyrants. Tyrany is surely sinfull, atached to pride and lack of humility i suppose. Ask him to study and give a report about why states that are religouse tend to be so corrupt that the businesses in their countries cannot work. Ask him if it is better that people go to heaven because they have been forced to be good or if it is better that goodness be a ppersonal choice. There must be many more such questions. Are you setting things up for egypt to have a new ruler that is safe for America but not so safe for their people. rose macaskie.

June 6, 2011 at 10:42 am | Reply
    • Pipin

Hey Kary,Welcome to a hcahaede my recruiter and HR colleagues have. We run searches all the time by city or within a certain number of miles of a postal code.I did a very informal survey about a year ago. At that time 8 of 10 were not aware they were showing GPS coordinates and most were using one of the BlackBerry apps for twitter. My guess like you and others have mentioned is this is not just a BB app issue.As I look at UberTwitter right now, click on "Options" scroll through when I get to "Setup Twitter GeoTagging" and "Default Location Settings" this is where most people are not knowingly going from Minneapolis, MN to GPS coordinates.

February 12, 2012 at 12:14 am | Reply
  7. forest

muslim brotherhood will never get majority in egypt fareed knows that .iam no supporter of them but i hate mubarek and his thugs 40 years of brutal dictatorship supported by every democracy specialy us leader of the free world in the name of what ...stability ...so many poor egyptians died and disapeared by mubarek and his sons .my opinion is mubarek was no better than sadam both the same school with so much blood on their hands .so let egypt have fair and free elections let the people decide .i beleive it's in america best interest .

June 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  8. Little Buddha

I can't believe you just had Ann Coulter on your show. There are plenty of decent conservative intellectuals you could and have had on your show. It was like having an eight-year old at the grown-up table. She offers nothing to the discussion except clearly erroneous statements and personal invectives. What achievement has Ann Coulter ever accomplished besides being nasty to those she disagrees with? I know you're producers probably made you have her on your show, but think it through: The people who watch GPS are not looking for a cable TV food fight with the likes of Ann Coulter. Who's on next week? Sean Hannity?

June 12, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
    • Ramsukh

GPS for Geocaching: Top Picks & Reviews | Rated4Stars on July 27th, 2008 4:41 pm [...] The smlsiept solution is to use a GPS with a built-in paperless geocaching feature, such as the Garmin Colorado series or nuvi 500 Crossover series. With these units you can simply download waypoints from [...]

February 11, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Reply
  9. molly ivins

Always watch GPS for unbiased, thoughtful exchanges – until today.

I will not watch again if Ann Coulter is hired to spew forth her vitriolic vomitous rants.

June 12, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  10. Valerie Phimister

The so-called "all-star panel" with Elliott Spitzer and Ann Coulter was a disgrace! We watch GPS because of the integrity of the interviewing, reporting, and analysis. None of those things were present during this free-for-all. It was nothing but a shouting match and one-upsmanship with sophomoric remarks, sans real content.
    Please don't do that again. Our trust in the value of this program has truly been shaken.

June 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  11. Lawrence Holland

I agree with those who were displeased (that's putting it mildly) to see Ann Colter on today's program. My guess is GPS has attracted the viewers it has because of its thoughtful discussions. Colter has shown no capacity to add to - and a great capacity to detract from - that kind of dialogue. There are intelligent conservative voices that would add to any dialogue. If those running the program have decided to go in a different, Colterish direction, I have far better things to do with my time.

June 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  12. Joetta Stone

I will give you credit for trying something new by having Ann Coutler on your panel, but I have to agree with Little Buddha and molly ivins that she is incapable, it would seem, of participating in a thoughtful, well-mannered panel discussion. She is not on a par with the other respected guests I always enjoy hearing from on GPS even if I don't always agree with them. Coulter is a joke among most thoughtful people and a tiger not likely to change her stripes! Kudos to Chrystia Freeland for trying to referee the heated discussion, but your experience didn't work. Please, no more Ann Coulter.

June 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  13. John Schumacher

Mr Zacharia, I tuned in just a bit late today to find the Eliot Spitzer full-faced on GPS. Why do you permit an admitted fleabag like that to appear on your show? Did CNN pressure you? I used to have great respect for you, your opinions and GPS. Now I'm not so sure what to think of you and your show. You do yourself no good by consorting with the likes of him. Please do not have such people on your show in the future.

June 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  14. Larry Land

Fareed,
    GPS is my favorite news program. It's the only cable news program I've known of where participants aren't trying to shout over eachother to express their points of view. That is until today, unfortunately, when you decided to have as one of your panelists Ann Coulter. Unfortunately, today's roundtable discussion degenerated into just the type of uncontrolled free-for-all that is characteristic of too many other cable "news" programs I know longer watch. I learn nothing when everyone is talking at once. I hope the same mistake is not repeated. Thank you very much for your consideration of these comments.

June 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  15. Jennifer Poser

I have to agree with the above post. I rarely post online but I couldn't believe you had Ann Coulter on as one of your guests. There are many conservatives you could have had on your show other than her. She does not have the credentials nor the standing to be invited onto your show and her contributions as always were disruptive to the flow of intelligent exchange. Hopefully, she will not be invited back.

June 12, 2011 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  16. Flemming Rhode

It's hardly surprising to see people angry at having to endure Ann Coulter during a show intended for grown ups. I'm sure Mr. Zakaria and everyone on the show predicted that loyal viewers would be upset, though probably not the hysterical shouting match concerning what is and is not Keynesian economics. So what was the idea then? Drawing in more viewers by having "controversy"? If that is the brand the show is going for, I will sadly tune out, because this is the one Sunday political show I like, because it seems like qualified people have civilized conversation. Was the prediction that this trend would continue with a more moderate and respectful Ann Coulter? Even if she had been, how is she qualified to speak on any topic of relevance? Hardly the person to publish her thoughts in Foreign Affairs or The Economist is she?

June 13, 2011 at 1:44 pm | Reply
  17. Terence MacAuliffe

Dear Fareed, I love your show, so informative, so many great minds, For that reason, please do not bring Ann Coulter. She is the worst right wing "comentator" and realoly does not have substance, only noise and slogans. There are so many great conservatgive mninds available.
    Bestg regards
    Terence

June 13, 2011 at 8:01 pm | Reply
  18. Shayee Khanaka

Dear Fareed,
    You asked Essam El Erian, of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, about women in Islam. You question was about equality for women. And, you mentioned inheritance laws among other islamic laws and practices that suggest that women are not equal to men in Islam. In reply, El Erian said that there are many other of Islam where women have either equal or superior status to men's.

At this point, I was expecting you to challange that and ask to elaborate/enumerate the ways in which women are equal/superior rights. unfortunately, you let that pass unchallenged.

This is not the first time you have been less than forthcoming on women's issues in your program. I am quite disappointed!

Shayee Khanaka

June 20, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  19. Jim Kosinski

If the Muslim Brotherhood is so committed to democracy in Egypt, why don't they start with democracy in their own organization?

July 4, 2011 at 9:55 am | Reply
  20. Sagda

If only Metro wasn't so dgntusiisg to look at i wish there will be nicer apps now that iPhone has set a high mark...

February 11, 2012 at 10:13 pm | Reply
  21. Robbin Goal

Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you're working with? I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something completely unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask! Robbin Goal http://www.robinhoodchina.info

January 31, 2013 at 5:14 am | Reply
  22. veste ralph lauren sport

Rihanna vraiment raide dingue de football ? La chanteuse venue de La Barbade a suivi avec attention la dernière Coupe du monde au Brésil en tweetant à plusieurs reprises sur les résultats des matches ou en consolant Karim Benzema après l'élimination des Bleus. "Riri" a même assisté à Rio de Janeiro à la finale du tournoi remportée par l'Allemagne aux dépens de l'Argentine (1-0) le 13 juillet dernier. Et une drôle d'idée aurait germé dans la tête de la pop star.Et si elle rachetait un club dans le pays où le football est né, l'Angleterre ? Selon la presse britannique, Rihanna aurait évoqué son envie de s'investir dans cette nouvelle activité et elle aurait même demandé des conseils à son ami Didier Drogba. Est-elle au courant que des milliardaires comme le Russe Roman Abramovich à Chelsea ou les Qataris du PSG dépensent des fortunes dans l'achat de joueurs et ne voient pas forcément l'argent revenir dans les caisses du club ? Peu importe, l'interprète de Russian Roulette rêve de jouer les propriétaires d'un club de football à l'image d'Elton John, patron du club de Watford en Angleterre pendant 25 ans ou encore Robbie Williams, ancien actionnaire du club de Port Vale.Rihanna est devenue une figure incontournable de l'industrie de la musique. Depuis le début de l'année, elle aurait engrangé plus de 82 millions d'euros de gains selon le magazine People with Money mais elle doit savoir que la masse salariale des joueurs de l'effectif du Paris Saint-Germain était estimée à 237 millions d'euros la saison dernière. "Riri" ne va pas donc s'amuser à dilapider sa fortune et va sans doute se contenter de continuer à jouer les supportrices de charme en tribunes. Pour se faire la main, celle qui a donné le coup d'envoi jeudi d'une mini-tournée estivale aux côtés d'Eminem envisage dans un premier temps de créer une école de football dans son île natale de La Barbade. Retrouvez cet article sur CloserMag.frAmal Alamuddin "inquiète" avant son mariage avec George ClooneyChristina Ricci est maman !Kim Kardashian complexée par ses “kilos en trop”, mais toujours en robe fourreauCristiano Ronaldo s'offre un nouveau jouet à 200 000 euros (Vidéo)Léa Seydoux bientôt James Bond Girl ?Le 20h people : Carla Bruni-Sarkozy blessée, les ministres privés de Corrida
    veste ralph lauren sport http://www.carta9gennaio.it/veste-ralph-lauren-sport-8873-2950-3597/,

October 15, 2014 at 9:34 am | Reply