June 28th, 2011

The longest TV show on Earth

It is the smash hit of the summer in Norway. More than one-half of that nation's population tuned in this week to see what has been billed as the world's longest TV program, 134 hours in length.

It isn't some gripping drama with great cliffhangers or a racy mini series.

I guess you could call it a reality show. But humans were only bit players.

It was a live camera, actually 11 of them, showing the ocean, some trees, rocks from a cruise ship as it navigated around Norway.

Really, this is what gets the Norwegians to rally around their television sets.

Take a look and a listen in the video above.

I actually find it rather soothing. I guess they did, too.

Post by:
Topics: Europe • Last Look

1. j. von hettlingen

I like the Norwegians. They have a good sense of humour and they too are down to earth. We in the Nordic countries love to joke about each, yet we really stand by each other in difficult times.

June 28, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Reply
  2. Burt

I thought it was the Casey Anthony murder trial. That junk is on every news channel 24/7.

June 28, 2011 at 5:58 pm | Reply
  3. Kristian T

Actually, the program had a reach of 75% of the population (12years+). It had a rating for those 134 hours of 4% day and night.
    It lifted the channel airing the program from a share of 4% to 35%. Needless to say, Norway is still talking of it :-)

kind rgds
    Kristian T,
    Head of Audience research, NRK.

June 28, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Reply
    • Verner (Werner) Steinbru

Born in Bergen in "41 , I sailed many times with my parents from Bergen to Tromso where relations on mother side lived. We always sailed on the ship that my great oncel Oskar Olsen was the pilot (loss) on. Some times he let me pull the cord to sound the horn when entring the harbour. I felt like the "King of the world".We immigrated to Canada in 49 to a place called Valhalla Centre in northern Alberta . I have sailed many times when single and married on the older Hurtigruten . Hope to make the trip very soon again before I end up in "Valhalla" .

July 4, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  4. Clayton B.

they must be SOOO BORED...

July 2, 2011 at 4:03 pm | Reply
  5. Sharilyn Prochaska

Casey Anthony is objecting to a proposal that she sell her life story as part of her bankruptcy. Her attorneys filed a motion this week in federal bankruptcy court in Tampa asking a judge to reject the proposal.:

Most recent post coming from our web blog
    <http://www.caramoan.co

April 27, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  6. 推薦行動電源

Firms many quick adopters exactly who benefited from it.When you want to create certain that Bebo account should be refurbished, only make the purchase anyway to do which.It is sometimes really useful to record information regarding you, such as what Internet sites you might be taking a take a look at, and then sending this info to their particular host on the net. 推薦行動電源 http://www.powerbankfresh.com

June 22, 2013 at 2:22 pm | Reply