What's wrong with eating dog meat?
A Chinese animal lover consoles a dog after a convoy of trucks carrying some 500 dogs to be sold as meat, were stopped along a highway in Beijing on early April 17, 2011, and the dogs were later rescued to the China Animal Protection Association. There were about 58 million pet dogs in 20 major Chinese cities at the end of 2009 and the figure is rising about 30 percent each year, according to a survey, as pet owners in China spend an estimated two billion USD a year on their animals.
June 30th, 2011

What's wrong with eating dog meat?

By , Global Post

Barbecued dog and steamed paws?

These and so much more were to be had at this weekend's dog meat festival near Seoul.

Alas, it was not to be.

Animal rights activists put up such a stink that the organizers, from the Korea Dog Farmers' Association, said there was no way they could go through with the event.

"We couldn't possibly go on with the plan due to endless phone calls of complaint ... now there are few willing to rent us a place for the event," Ann Yong-Geun, a professor of nutrition at Chung Cheong University and an advisor to the association, told AFP.

Organizers of the festival had wanted to showcase the positive side of the dog meat industry in South Korea, where there are about 600 farms that raise dogs for meat, according to Ann.

Dog soup, or Boshintang, is a summer delicacy in South Korea, though the Wall Street Journal reports that it isn't as popular as the media would make it seem.

A minority of people eat it regularly. It’s consumed most frequently in summer but is available year-round. And it’s more popular with men than women and is said to possess qualities that "help stamina."

They were, for example, going to show videos of farms raising dogs under sanitary conditions — something, they will tell you, that would become a more ubiquitous practice were the industry legalized and regulated.

But for many activists, the humane treatment of the dogs is beside the point. To them, dogs are companions not a main course, end of story.

Read: North Korean propaganda.

The irony is that in South Korea, that wasn't really true until more recently. And even now, it's really only true in the city, where they raise "pet dogs," as opposed to "meat dogs."

As William Saletan wrote in Slate a few years back:

In the country, they raise "meat dogs," also known as "junk dogs" and "lower-grade" dogs. But you don't become a "lower-grade" dog by flunking an IQ test. You're just born in the wrong place. Then you're slaughtered and fed to a man who thinks he's humane because he pampers a Golden Retriever that has half your brains.

So, what's really wrong with eating dog? Just because we don't do it in the U.S. doesn't seem to make for a very good argument.

GlobalPost's Dog Meat Mafia series, delves into the seedy world of the booming dog meat industry in Southeast Asia.

Post by:
Topics: China • Culture • East Asia

« Previous entry
soundoff (2,494 Responses)
  1. uos_spo6

I ran six dogs over while reading this article on my Android. And one vegan.

July 1, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  2. L.Reed

Whats the big? We eat animals all the time. Why is eating dogs such a taboo? Their lives are not more important than pig, cow, chicken, lamb....Just because they are supposedly mans best friend does not mean they do not taste good. At the end of the day if I had to decided weather or not I would eat a dog or starve to death. That dog,cat, snake, bird, any animal is a goner.

July 1, 2011 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  3. Maude

Try this:
    1lb of fresh dog meat. Heat little olive oil in a wok. Place dog meat in the wok and let is simmer for three minutes. Add half a clove garlic, two teaspoon sugar, some ginger and fresh onion (to taste). Add two tablespoon soy sauce.
    Add chilli paste to taste. Serve with rice or noodles. Yum Yum enjoy. White wine please.......

For desert some monkey turd on a tick.

July 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  4. S L

Every one is ignoring the real reason that people do not eat dogs. It is because dogs are sacrificed to the goddess of fortune and buried at forks in the road to appease fate. Therefore, their meat is unclean. It is the same as eating the goat villiagers let leave with all of their problems (the scapegoat).

July 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  5. Scott

Beside the fact that the emotions of dogs are much more human than cows, pigs, chickens, etc., I'd say there is nothing wrong with eating dogs. A dog is not called "man's best friend" for nothing. Think about it. Or maybe the dog eaters need to have a dog as a pet for a short while to realize why it might be a poor choice for meat..

July 1, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  6. Arch Stanton

Let's start eating Koreans. Carpet bomb that damn peninsula. Ask any WW2 POW under the Japanese–the Korean guards were by far the most cruel. And what they do to cats–dropping them alive into boiling water–is sick and cruel. Allright, don't eat Koreans, but just kill them. I say, they are sub-human.

July 1, 2011 at 2:09 pm | Reply
    • Maude

I have eaten korean before. Her name Kim Chi. Very good, Very tasty

July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Reply
    • IMPERFECT-DUMB-HUMANS

Asians are probably the worst culture that care about animals and nature.

July 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Reply
      • chieatfetus

I agree, a lot of asians are ROTTEN. They do not care about the well-being of the animal before it's put to its death...I've seen pictures of cats being blow-torched alive because the chinese believe that the meat actually tastes better when done this way...so much more for a dog/puppy. They even eat human fetusus (called baby soup). They even have sex with the animal before eating it (look up the '8 most terryfying restaurants' & #1 is 'roppongi').

July 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • Martha Stewart

Your whole post is subhuman. You want to kill Korean babies? Because the grownup ones eat meat that you don't approve? You are more extreme than Hitler. It's Not a Good Thing.

July 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Reply
      • IMPERFECT-DUMB-HUMANS

It was sarcasm Martha.

July 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • Dog

Shut up and play your call of duty in that hole of yours you fat ass.

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Reply
    • Eunjae

I feel really bad to read ur comment as Korean.

July 4, 2011 at 3:39 am | Reply
  7. J Richards

I didn't read the article. Doesn't matter what the contents are. This sort of provacative headline has one purpose. Sell papers or whatever the author works for. Might as well ask if selling a child is justified if it will save others. I have a reduced opinion of CNN.

July 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Reply
    • Martha Stewart

Reading makes your head hurt? To summarize: less dog is being eaten worldwide. It's a Good Thing.

July 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  8. j man

Look all you imbosiles an animal learns all it knows from instinct and what happens around itself, if a dog is loved as a pet then you would be pretty weird to eat it for lunch tomorrow, the only reason we have biases is because of what people thought before, essentially instinct. And what we experience on a day to day basis so all these morals and such are stupid because we're going off what life is in todays sense which isn't the best choice. What we really need to do is let other cultures do there own thing, until they are bored of such rituals or desires so that maybe one day we can all get on a psychological plane of understanding

July 1, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  9. oldboldgold

I'll pass for now, I'm a dog lover. I find dogs much more engaging than some humans. Humans have eaten any meat when hungry enough, including each other. To prevent such barbarities, I suggest birth control planet wide to lower our population to an extent that is sustainable without eating anything that moves. In India they starve in full sight of beef on the hoof. I have eaten bear meat, and they taste rich and wonderful when they are eating berries and nasty when they eat fish. I understand the emotional appeal of vegetarianism, but our teeth suggest we are omnivores.

July 1, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  10. Mary J

I want to take the pictured dog home with me. 😦 How someone can have a dog as a pet and eat dog, I will never understand. This article is quite upsetting to me.

July 1, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Reply
    • IMPERFECT-DUMB-HUMANS

AGREE

July 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Reply
    • Maude

Makes me hungry.....

July 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Reply
  11. Alex

Gasp. To me, this is about as acceptable as eating children to help curb the world's overpopulation problem.

July 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Reply
    • Dean Swift

Hey, that was MY idea.

July 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  12. Nuclear Threat

Joe S. you continually post that the dogs are tortured and you may be right, I don't know. But let me ask you this, our biggest source of meat in America is cows, how do you think they are treated? In many cases I'd say inhumanely and with a lack of respect, same goes for turkeys, chickens, pigs in America...so how is it different?

July 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Reply
    • Arch Stanton

He is right. Koreans drag out animal deaths as long as possible because they believe that adrenalin improves the taste of the meat. They typically hang dogs by their necks and beat them with sticks, to gurantee a slow, horrible death. Search online. You can find the videos. Cats have their fur burned off of them while their alive and then dropped into a vat of boiling water (still alive). Koreans are sick. (Let's put our PC tendencies aside, please.) Also, U.S. servicemen are briefed before being sent there that they will witness horrible treatment of animals (and people) and are not to interfere. Why the hell we ever defended South Korea is beyond me. Let North and South battle each other and kill each other off.

July 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Reply
      • Eunjae

The cruel acts to animals is not the problems of Koreans, but the problems of thoughtless people. Please do not condemn Koreans like that. As a Korean, I feel hurt. And I even saw an american soldier dispatched in Afganistan or somewhere throw a puppy away from a very high cliff. I was struck dumb. But I didn't criticized Americans that they are so cruel. Because I knew that's the problem of some kind of people.

July 4, 2011 at 3:58 am |
    • Joe S

Cruelty to animals or humans should not be tolerated ANYWHERE. If animals are being mistreated in the US you should be pissed out about it too! The culture that produced this practice is decadent and broken. If you actually traveled in Asia and visited the parts that tourists were not supposed to see you would be horrified.

Parts of our culture are broken as well. For example, dogfighting exists in the United States. Slavery exists in the United States. This should be fixed.

July 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Reply
  13. 3DogNight

Yes, many tests say that pigs are smarter than dogs yet we eat pigs. But, the difference is that dogs were domesticated by man to be our companions. They want nothing more than to please us. They greet us at the door, comfort us when we're ill, guide the blind, search for disaster victims, help the hearing impaired, visit kids in the hospital, warn us of intruders, comfort children in court, serve as police officers and arson investigators, follow the trail of kidnap victims, sniff out cancer, help diabetics know when their blood sugar is slow, warn epileptics of upcoming seizures, pull sleds across the arctic, herd sheep, flush out pheasants, sniff out drugs and bombs, and were even used by the Navy Seals in the Bin Laden raid. To toss all of that aside and treat them like this, then eat these loving companion animals who unconditionally love their masters is just plain wrong.

July 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Reply
    • Nuclear Threat

I dont agree w/ it either. I see dogs as pets, but to call a cultural difference wrong? I wont do that. Its not for us to decide what other countries should or should not eat.

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Reply
    • Primitive Man

They came out of the darkness when we had nothing to share but a fire and some charred meat, and they've had our backs ever since. They fought besides us and slept at our doors all night. We beat Nature back and built our houses of sticks, stones and bricks, and never had to fear the big, bad wolf. We owe it to them to try to have their backs as well.

July 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Reply
  14. faretheewell

Dog isn't bad. It's not wonderful either. Had it in the Phillipines years ago unbeknownst to me until the meal was over. Based on my own prejudices, I would have been unlikely to eat it if I'd known beforehand. It is unusual for a Western diet in that the dog is principally a carnivore, where most of our meats are herbivores.

Americans have also been upset about horse meat. This is much closer to our normal diet than dog. Yet, because some people own horses as pets, the meat is stigmatized. Horse also is not bad.

July 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Reply
  15. Cory

if you and your dog (who is your best friend ) fell in a large hole and the only way to live was to eat and wait for a search party to find you.... would you eat your dog or die with it because it has a personality and a soul? The truth is, everything that has ever been hunted (human or otherwise) has a soul and personality, but we still need to eat. I would never eat an animal I had a personal connection with, but I would eat it's sibling.

July 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  16. john jay

Dogs and cats form deep emotional ties with people that last even after their human companion dies. They also work in the military and medical care among many other fields helping their human companions. They are highly intelligent beings, on par with humans, and eating them is cannibalism. What a disgusting, sad and backward practice.

July 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Reply
  17. Outraged Dog Parent

I am not happy about the fact that I incorporate meat into my diet; I have tried to go vegan many times, but my health, skin, and hair suffered from lack of nutrition over time. This failure on my part ot have a successful vegan diet does not mean that I will not try again to go vegan; I just need perhaps a better mix of nutrition. That said, I find as I grow older, that apart from eggs & dairy sans rennet, I truly am horrified by two things; that suffering of animals is underwritten by me and my diet, and that I am enamoured of the taste. As far as this dog eating issue, a line has to be drawn at some point by man not to betray the bond between canine and man by refraining from eating what is our closest counterpart in the animal kingdom, and I do not mean via DNA with regards to pigs; Dogs deserve actual dignity and protection, and if I had the financial means, I would endeavor to be the ASPCA's largest giver of funds to ensure we treat our neglected pets compassionately. The eating of dogmeat should be as hideous as whalemeat and anyone who contributes to the dog eating market has no compassion or sense of karmic retribution.

July 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm | Reply
  18. Waffle boy

Are they delicious?

July 1, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Reply
    • Garfield

They stink, so probably not.

July 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  19. Changling42

Oh you silly, self-righteous, holier than thou, Americans, always trying to impose your morals onto the rest of the world. Let me guess most of you are still running around asking yourselves, "Why do they hate us?"

People own all types of pets and all animals can learn commands and understand some human words, if they comprehend those words in another matter all together. Cows are kept as pets and people claim they are also VERY intelligent. Horses are kept as pets and also eaten as food. Countless species of birds of comsumed the world over and they are considered to be FAR more intelligent than any animal that has been discussed here thus far and they too are kept as pets. That being said monkeys are also kept as pets and are more intelligent than birds. They too are also comsumed with monkey brains being a delicacy in many parts of the world.

Who cares what people eat in other parts of the world. In India, they think Americans are disgusting for eating cows but you do not see them on some crusade to stop the rest of the world from comsuning beef. Jewish people do not eat pigs or seafood but you do not see them trying to stop the rest of us from eating them, do you? Alll cultures have different eating practices. This is what has given us the food rich cultures of the world. If they were all the same, how boring would that be. As long as a species is not endangered there should be no issue. If you find it morally reprehensible, than simply don't eat said animals or do not visit that country or town.

Please stop trying to make the rest of the world America. America is nice but it's not all that great people and you Americans are getting harder and harder to tolerant all the time.

Lastly, I am a dog lover. I have owned many dogs. I am also a avid traveler and backpacker, having visited over 40 countries... I have eaten dog (along with many other animals) on many occasions. Dog is actually not bad tasting, very lean, probably very good for you and is probably more environmentally friendly than eating beef.

July 1, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Reply
    • JD

And what "country" are you from? I'm thinking if we knew, we could easily say that you are becoming or already are intolerable to us as well. Fair is fair. Don't tell others what to do while looking down your nose at them. It only makes you a bigger hypocrite.

July 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Reply
      • Changling42

"And what "country" are you from?" I am from New Zealand.

"I'm thinking if we knew, we could easily say that you are becoming or already are intolerable to us as well. " Still think so?

"Fair is fair. Don't tell others what to do while looking down your nose at them. It only makes you a bigger hypocrite." Funny, I thought that is exactly what is being do to those who eat non-western forms of meat.

July 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Arch Stanton

What a heap of PC, patronizing BS. Yeah, and let's encourage the Indians to practice sati again. Also, American black slaves' greatest fear was not to be killed by their owners but to be delivered to the Cherokee for torture then death (Cherokee a noble savage?). Sorry, moral evolution is on (I hope) and where it can victor, let it. Unless you really are pissed off at the English banning the forcible immolation of Indian widows on their already dead husband's pyres. Hopefully we will all be veg soon.

July 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Reply
    • WDW

Changling, I could not have said it better myself. These touchy-feely libtards don't have a clue what the rest of the world has to do to survive, they only know they don't have to do it here in the U.S., so it "must be wrong" to do it elsewhere. It's a very narrow-minded and wrong opinion.

July 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm | Reply
    • Joe S

Here is how the dog is prepared for food:
      1) It is kept in a small cage with other dogs
      2) The dog to be prepared is bound and hung by its hindquarters
      3) The dog is then beaten with a stick
      4) The dog is then skinned alive, typically by burning off the skin

July 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm | Reply
      • Changling42

Here is how the dog is prepared for food:
        1) It is kept in a small cage with other dogs – so are veal, chicken, pigs, birds, fish and hundreds of others animals not only on farms but in zoos and labs as well.
        2) The dog to be prepared is bound and hung by its hindquarters – again, so are pigs, deer, veal, cows, boars, turkeys, ostrich, emu, bear, gator
        (Here is where you leave out the part where the animal is usally stunned or rendered unconsious some how. It is also here where it's throat would be slit so that the blood can drain, which is why all animals are stung up from their hindquaters, very misleading of you)
        3) The dog is then beaten with a stick – so is veal and many many other tough meats, this is what we in the food industry call tenderizing... I also think that that putting these out of order is also very misleading.
        4) The dog is then skinned alive, typically by burning off the skin. – actually it is the hair that is removed and again, this is done after the animal is dead.

Good thing my family runs an local abattoir and butchers shop.

This is done to elevate the level of adrenalin because they believe that this will give the consumer of the meat increased libido and strength. – And what does comsuming a 75 oz steak in under 30 mins so that is free do for the libido?

Do you have any further stupid comments about Americans to make? I await your response. Seems like you are the only one making stupid comments and trying to spin thngs to fit your agenda, sorry you don't like being called out on it. My bad.

July 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
      • Joe S

VERY WRONG and an obvious lie. The dog is beaten with a stick and skinned while it is ALIVE. Otherwise it would not raise the adrenalin level of the animal which is the entire purpose of slaughtering the animal in this manner. I do not know why you are lying, perhaps you are attempting some spin control on behest of China, but this is what happens during the preparation of the meat. Any yes, torture of any animal is wrong no matter where it occurs.

July 1, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
      • Changling42

In my experience the only people that have to resort to calling other people liars are the ones that are doing the lying and get caught doing so. That was seriously WEAK.

Behest of China?!? What is that all about?!? Do you work for FOXNews trying to draw these kind of loose, emotional connections?!? Does logic form any part of your being what so ever?!? At least we can now see you are exhibiting the very typical overly paranoid traits that most Americans seems to be dealing with these days. Along with an underlying nationalist agenda that you are trying to overlay on people. Good luck with that. I for one am not buying it, I know better.

July 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
      • Joe S

Ah now the personal attacks come out now. Please visit these links below to be educated. I WARN EVERYONE these links are very disturbing but "Changling42 from New Zealand" is clearly wrong about how the dog markets are run.

July 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
      • Joe S

Oh by the way "Changling42" I am not American, I am from Spain. Wrong again of course. But nice try.

July 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
      • Changling42

I see what is problem is now, you have a comprehension issue along with being arrogrant and pigheaded. Where did I ever say anywhere that you were American? Actually is was you that said, "Do you have any further stupid comments about Americans to make? I await your response." Inplying that you were American. Thank you for posting this, as it shows you are nothing but a lair yourself and always looking for the a new way to spin your rhetoric. SUPER HUGE FAIL!!!!

July 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
      • Joe S

You are clearly lying when you say that they kill the dogs and THEN beat them [to tenderize the meat] and then skin them alive. I am awaiting the apology for your lies or at least a retraction of them. Did you see the videos posted below?

July 1, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
      • Changling42

"I am not American, but Spanish, and I currently live in America and I lived in Korea for 10 years. In my home country we brutally kill bulls for sport, which is immoral and disgusting. I would rather you think of me as an American, because in general Americans are good people."

Nice try at backpedaling there but, you have been caught. I no longer believe a thing you say about anything. Where you are from, where you live, etc. Nothing you say from here forth can be accepted as truth. As for wanting to be American, I think there is nothing sadder than someone that wants to be something other than what they are. I do not share your admiration of America, sorry.

"You are clearly lying when you say that they kill the dogs and THEN beat them [to tenderize the meat] and then skin them alive."

Yes, that's it more of this calling everyone a lair business. As I said before only lairs run around calling others liars and we can see from this thread that it was in fact you that launched personal attacks first by calling me a liar.

" I am awaiting the apology for your lies or at least a retraction of them. Did you see the videos posted below?" You might be waiting quite some time for that. I would not count on it coming anytime soon. Just sayin'. Won't want you waiting around for it.

July 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
      • Joe S

But you ARE a liar! That's why I called you one. You said that they killed the dogs THEN beat then and burned off the skin, which is CLEARLY A LIE! Go back to the Ministry of Truth and figure out what your strategy is.

July 5, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  20. Bribarian

Get hit by a bus Emily

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  21. peter

barbaric practice that should simply die. "humane" would be a nice twist. A friend of mine serving in Korea, watched as a man burned the skin off of a live dog chained to a post before he prepared it for cooking. I've had it with the ENTIRE country, north and south. If it were up to me, we would push them back into the 15th century where they'd rather be anyway.

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  22. Jay

@ Maya : Because you keep spewing out ignorant, uneducated comments that are formulated by superficial research from Google. So if you don't want people responding to you, then be quiet or at least come up with something that holds weight. Dogs change too in the wild. Hell, even humans physically would change if they were shoved out in the wild. Point is: IT DOESN'T MATTER. Meat is meat. I have no problems with vegetarians. I have no problems with carnivores. I just have problems with hypocrites, and the people who criticize other cultures with their hypocrisy - which is exactly what the author of this article is trying to get at.

July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  23. JeffB

What is wrong with this article! What the heck is up with CNN! The dog eating festival occured in China , not Korea yet everything is about Korea. GET YOUR STORY RIGHT! Just because large group of human population have emotional tie with dogs doesn't mean it is 'wrong' to eat them.

July 1, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  24. sylv

Only sick F***ks would do this.

July 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  25. Jamie

This disgusts me to no end. I cannot believe cnn.com would ever allow an article like this to be written by such an ignorant person. Can someone dice up the author of this article so I can eat him raw?

July 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Reply
    • Garfield

She's not saying we should eat dogs, just that it's done worldwide.

July 1, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Reply
  26. JD

Eat the liberals instead. Better than eating dogs.

July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Reply
    • Mr. Fabulous

Ooo! You can eat ME, you naughty, naughty boy. I guess it's true what Larry Craig said about you closeted conservatives.

July 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Reply
  27. james p.

I think some country's are blessed with plenty of food and have developed cultural beliefs believing it is wrong to eat dogs,cats, horses,ext....As some have stated, let these ppl go hungry for awhile then ask them, it's all revelant to what you are raised to believe and what you have available to eat...i personally don't eat dog, i have better options,but i see it being no different then eating any other animal...

July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  28. cicisbo

This writer condones the eating of a dog? What's wrong with it? The fact that these animals display intelligence. The fact that dogs become loyal companions to their owner. The fact that these animals will willingly defend their owners with their lives. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. It's sick and this writer needs a lobotomy for even suggesting that it's okay.

July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Reply
    • Mr. Fabulous

Get real, she's not saying we should eat dogs. Are you really trying to talk us out of eating your dog, mister? We don't eat dogs in this country.

July 1, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  29. Dolt Patrol

I'm a dog lover. Any dog eater is not a friend of mine. So many other resources to choose from. Human scum...

July 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  30. Bob

What's wrong with eating people? Sure, we don't do it in the U.S., but what's wrong with it? And Changling42, it is definitely environmentally friendly!

July 1, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Reply
    • Yummy

You forgot Jeffrey Dahmer
      Packer was an American gold prospector and convicted cannibal. On February 9th 1874
      Albert Fish

July 1, 2011 at 2:30 pm | Reply
    • Whatever

Are you kidding? Prion diseases result from cannibalism (vCJD, BSE (mad cow)). Yes, Physiologically humans are omnivores–they can eat meat and/or vegitation; however, that does not mean you should. And eating pork–did you know that if you consume undercooked pork, you run the risk of getting a parasite that can pass the blood-brain barrier and eat your brain? (And yes, the parasite is only found in pigs).

Not to mention, serial killers display a tendency towards cannibalism. And they're not crazy–they're psychopaths.

July 1, 2011 at 4:28 pm | Reply