July 3rd, 2011

Watch GPS: National Security Advisor Tom Donilon

This week on GPS,  I conducted a rare and exclusive interview with the National Security Adviser, Tom Donilon, who many believe is President Obama's principal adviser on foreign policy. We talked about the whole range of foreign policy challenges confronting the United States.

After that I explore a country that's more politically divided than the United States.

Finally, I look at what's really behind the revolutions in the Arab world.  Who will be the driving force going forward?

You can read the transcript of the show here.

Let me know what you think.

Topics: Global • GPS Episodes • GPS Show • Middle East • United States

1. Jim

People on TV are constantly expressing how the fiscal stimulus did not work. I would like to hear some discussion regarding what would have happened if no stimulus had been done. Thanks

July 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Reply
    • sundownr

I believe things would have been much worse... but I would have rather seen the money dispersed from the bottom up rather than giving failing banks rewards for poor financial decisions.

July 8, 2011 at 9:45 am | Reply
  2. Gene Kinn

I disagree that people who watch Fox don't watch CNN. I love Fox News Sunday and the Fox Report at 6 pm daily..also watch throughout the day....but do not watch O'Rielly, Hannity or Beck (who has now departed). I think their reporting is as fair as NBC, CBS or ABC and their evening hosts are just as biased on the right as the other networks are on the left. I also watch GPS and think it is the best, most-thoughtful program on TV. I love your not-run-of-the mill guests and your commentary.

July 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  3. Norma Lee Nichols

Fareed, I have never seen an official side-step every question and topic with such pre-programmed robot -like response.I heard three " dismantle,disrupt and destroy Al Quada " out of context sound-bites.
    Phrases such as "engaging", productive talks","no knowledge of core involvement in Pakistan's leadership re: bin Laden.
    Afgahnistan -progress? In response to your pointed question regarding talking with Iran, he spewed out again..it's their decision to come to the table then reported the even stronger sanctions to persuade them. Don't those 1,500 intelligence listeners, actually listen to the Iranians? It's just because of our sanctions that they cannot see a fair table?
    Woe is us and Obama with this advisor who can't think ouside of the box.
    ...

July 3, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Reply
    • Yariel

6 of 6 ppolee found the following review helpful: shotmiser g500, 12 Dec 2010By  (scotland uk) – This review is from: Shotmiser G500 Golf GPS Rangefinder *100 Free Courses* (Misc.) Bought this just as snow started to fall so only managed 14 holes of golf with it switched on on the course.As with all technical items, I tend to flounder around for a while untill they become familiar, this bit of kit is no exception,indeed if you relied on the included printed instructions you would get nowhere, they are pretty basic. But, once you switch it on, it more or less helps you along, the instructions could and should though, be made simpler and more detailed. Once up and running and out on the course,IT IS BRILLIANT, very detailed info and course maps. Right now I reckon it is a bargain buy, 100 free course dowloads included if you buy before Dec 31st 2010.The help desk at Shotmiser is very very excellent any queries I have had or advice needed, and they have been on the phone or sent e-mails within hours of contacting them, cant praise them enough. Just one or two problems, you will find you dont hit your seven iron 180 yards like you thought you did, and if you can not hit your shots with some degree of consistancy, then these devices are a waste of money and you should spend your cash on lessons instead.Will try to remember to update you with my progress as and when the weather allows me out on the course.Help other customers find the most helpful reviews Was this review helpful to you?  |

February 12, 2012 at 12:07 am | Reply
  4. Jim

Fareed,
    I think you conduct the most even-handed, probing series of interviews available to the American TV viewing public, and I greatly appreciate the preparation and effort you put into each and every show. But your interview with Tom Donilon on today's GPS proved to be MOST disappointing and not at all up to those standards. First, I would echo the same points about Donilon's replies that were made by another responder only a couple of hours ago. You did no probing of any of the pre-programed, evasive answers given by Donilon. I'm obviously not the only viewer who expected a lot more! But even more, you were interviewing President Obama's chief advisor on foreign policy, and you didn't ask him a single question about America's role as a "mediator" between Palestine and Israel in the so-called "peace process'?!? Our unconditionally supportive relationship with Israel is arguably the one single foreign policy of the US which defines the way the rest of the world views our commitment to equal human rights for all to a greater degree than any other! At a time so crucial in that "process', with the rest of the world finally waking up or finally having the moral courage to speak out about the humanitarian crisis that has been years in the making in Gaza and the West Bank, and about the constant appropriation of Palestinian land while we allow that process to stall day after day, year after year, President after President, we are the one and only significant nation who supports Israel's constant flaunting of every relevant UN resolution with the shameless use of our veto power, causing us to gradually lose the respect we had once earned from every nation who DOES believe in equal human rights for ALL! THIS topic would seem to be important enough to fill at least a month-long series of GPS episodes, you you didn't see fit to give it one single moment of the interview?!? Your excellent shows of the past have conditioned me to expect more!

July 3, 2011 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  5. j. von hettlingen

"After that I explore a country that's more politically divided than the United States".
    Belgium had been part of the Habsburg empire. Later it was divided between France and Holland. It broke away from France in the 1830s and got its independence from the Dutch later. The two camps seem to believe that they are better off without each other.

July 3, 2011 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  6. mike whatley

There's a reason TV interviews with National Security advisor Tom Donilan are "rare". He's awful. Even where I agree with him, he comes off as a hack.. The administration would do well to keep him off TV. He's not even likable!

Norman Lee Nichols comments above are spot on!

July 3, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Reply
    • j. von hettlingen

"The administration would do well to keep him off TV."
      I found it very interesting to listen to him and he knows his metier, yet I couldn't look at him. There's something about his grin!

July 4, 2011 at 4:10 am | Reply
      • CJS

It's his dentures, they don't fit his mouth. You would think with the excellent health care he has he would have it fixed. I agree, my family and I found it very distracting.

July 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  7. Onesmallvoice

Here comes another kill crazy, right-wing nutjob to tell Barack Obama to send more troops around the world to kill more people who don't deserve to die. I have no reason to believe that this Tom Donilan is any more morally principled than the rest of the right-wing thugs in Washington!!!

July 4, 2011 at 12:14 am | Reply
  8. Abbas Najam

I watch GPS every week because many times I have similar questions to policy makers in DC about their policies, especially foreign policies. I really liked and enjoyed set of your questions about American stand on Syria and comparison of Mubarak and Asad. Your tried your best to get answers out of National security advisor but I was disappointed with Tom’s response because I still don’t have answer for those question. Why USA is not saying Asad to leave the way they said it to Mubarak?

July 4, 2011 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  9. Shank Says

Fareed, You are the man!

July 5, 2011 at 11:29 am | Reply
  10. Bob

Fareed –
    On Sunday you said that rolling back the Bush tax cuts would cure the deficit problem. But that's just not the case.
    The deficit is too large now, but if it were trimmed and HELD CONSTANT, we could manage it.
    The Deficit Problem is that the deficit, without something being done, is going to grow out of sight as we fund medical care and retirement programs. The Bush Tax Cuts aren't in the same league.
    We all need to understand the real problem, its magnitude, and how hard it will be to get it set right. Please tell us how it REALLY is – we depend on you. And in this case, David Walker.
    Thanks – your show is a godsend!
    Bob

July 5, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Reply
  11. Bob

Tom Donilon is the President's chief advisor on foreign affairs??? OMG!
    Thank you for letting him have air time so we could see him. Mr Donilon is the ultimate administration apologist – he doesn't think about things, he spins and prevaricates and tells how perfect everything is. In the best of times, nothing is as good as he paints it. If that unbalanced view of things is what the President gets for briefing, woe unto us all!
    An almost comical note – on the list of common concerns we have with Saudi Arabia, starting with terrorists, terrorism, the war on terrorism, about number 8 was "a continued flow of energy". Never a drop of oil crossed his lips, and the whole topic was buried. Is he more realistic in the Oval Office?
    Thanks again for a great show and great education.

July 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm | Reply
  12. Bob

Fareed –
    Your Round Tables have great people, but they have a tendency to degrade into "Cross Fire" shouting matches. Please don't let that happen. It's a complete waste of time, and puts otherwise interesting people into ridiculous situations. Keep them calm, under control, and with good conversations – so we can learn.
    thanks

July 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm | Reply
  13. Odessa

Americans, you are wasting everything – your effort, energy, time, money, man-powers, and the lives of your troops – by failing to provide Muslims Bibles and literacy. Anything secularism provides is futile.

July 5, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  14. Odessa

By the way, the present condition of America reminds me of the Book of Micah, Haggai, and Malachi in the Old Testament Bible. Americans should read the Bible.

July 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Reply
  15. Prassoon Suryadas

The only way out is a Global Government and Global currency. So no war and no money devaluation, isnt it Fareed?
    Let us make American Union and Asian Union similar to European Union and then Trilateral commission make polices and UN execute it, how about that? All problems created solved...

July 12, 2011 at 1:27 am | Reply
    • Cecilia

it would be once but then it beocmes once a week and then more frequent until she starts stalking you and threatening to tell your wife. She is too young to handle any complications or feelings she would have from sleeping with a married man.

February 11, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  16. Gere Johansing

About your interview with Bjørn Lomborg today – he argued that instead of buying the “state-of-art” green technology, because of the current economic hardships, we should invest the same money on research of more efficient and effective solutions. If it were up to Bjørn Lomborg, Henry Ford should have stayed in bed until Detroit auto companies completed their development of a car he could mass produce to go thousands of miles on one gallon of ethanol. Who can say the money spent by consumers to buy roof top solar panels in Germany producing many jobs for thousands of workers and exercising the option to change from using coal to generate electric power was wrong? Should the consumers and government subsidy money have been spent instead on a few hundred researchers developing a better solar panel for a future generation?

Fareed, I think you wanted to tell Lomborg something you didn’t say. I think it might have been impolite to let him know your true feelings – at least that was my impression. I think that Lomborg still doesn’t get it.

July 17, 2011 at 2:45 pm | Reply
    • Emre

Hi,I love this feature, I just laitnlsed it on my Blackberry Curve, 8300. It worked flawlessly and positioned me within like 500 feet.Also, this does something I've wanted for a long time: search based on your location. The previous version of GMaps would search within the map area, but it seemed random, it would show me items hundreds of miles away... This works well and is awesome!

March 12, 2012 at 2:09 am | Reply
  17. CJS

Sorry, I know this is off topic but...Anyone know where this interview was conducted? That mantelpiece in the background is stunning. Is this in the White House? Would love the know the history of that piece. Thanks

July 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  18. international financial advisers

By far essentially the most succinct and also up-to-date information I found about this topic matter. Certain pleased that I stumbled upon your write-up by opportunity. I will likely be signing up on your rss feed so as I'll receive the newest posts. Enjoy everything right here.

March 20, 2013 at 10:35 am | Reply
  19. denver car accident lawyer

Denver car accident lawyer Thanks for this blog post!

June 21, 2013 at 11:11 am | Reply
  20. John Putt

If you have been hesitating about getting a golf GPS unit because you weren’t sure how they worked, the time is now to invest in one. The technology is constantly improving and as these improvements take place the prices are also going down. If you want to raise your golfing level, the price is really a small investment when you consider how important the game of golf really is to you.

August 23, 2013 at 12:42 am | Reply