The secrets of the male hand
July 5th, 2011

The secrets of the male hand

Editor's Note: The following piece comes from Global Post, which provides excellent coverage of world news – importantmoving and odd.

All those jokes about the size of men's feet...or hands...

Well, new research demonstrates that there might actually be something to the idea that there is a correlation between length...and length.

A team of South Korean researchers studied 144 men, and came up with what may be a reliable guide: the ratio of the length of a man's index finger to that of his ring finger. The lower that ratio, the longer the penis may be, the researchers wrote Monday in the Asian Journal of Andrology, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The team, led by Tae Beom Kim of Gachon University in Incheon, said it investigated this apparent correlation because it believed there was a lack of research on the male appendage, according to the Sydney Morning Herald. "To date, there have been few studies that reveal why men who undergo normal puberty have different penile lengths," it said.

The researchers studied the men's right hands. Digit ratio, or the length of the second, index finger relative to the fourth, ring finger, was calculated. In most women, those two fingers are about the same length, but men's index fingers tend to be shorter than their ring fingers, giving a lower digit ratio.

The length of the penis was measured both when it was flaccid and when it had been stretched to its full length, according to the Los Angeles Times. Stretched length is thought to correlate to erect length, the researchers said. They found that, in general, the lower the ratio of the lengths of the two fingers, the longer the penis was in its stretched state.

The key to this relationship may lie in the womb, the team said. Previous research has indicated that prenatal testosterone may determine finger development as well as penile length, a relationship that inspired Kim and his colleagues to design a study to focus on it, according to Reuters, which added:

The findings offered "circumstantial evidence that prenatal testosterone is responsible for both traits (penile length and digit formation,)" said Denise McQuade at Skidmore College in New York, who was not involved in the study.

Other recent findings have suggested that men with a lower ratio have a more symmetrical face and are more attractive to women, a phenomenon that has been referred to as the "sexy ratio," according to the Los Angeles Times. And last year, researchers at Warwick University and the Institute of Cancer Research in Britain reported that a man's risk of developing prostate cancer is also related to the ratio of the two fingers. Men whose index fingers were longer than their ring fingers were found to be one-third less likely to develop prostate cancer.

Post by:
Topics: Odd

1. Boko

I think that the female care about walet size not the finger size.

July 5, 2011 at 10:19 am | Reply
    • Delilah

I guess you don't know me. I have turned down 2 suitors who were very wealthy men in favor of a man who works very hard for a living. Personality is what does it for me.

July 6, 2011 at 2:34 am | Reply
    • Soulcatcher

I don't know about you but it's always been the performance and length of my index and middle finger in foreplay that matters.

My ring and index are of equal length.

Also, I find it funny asians are doing this study.

July 22, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Reply
  2. UncleJohn

Maybe the ratio of the two fingers is related to pain tolerance when the p is stretched.

July 5, 2011 at 10:44 am | Reply
  3. Ashley Riegle

Very intriguing indeed! Ashley of http://www.singleforareason.com

July 5, 2011 at 11:45 am | Reply
  4. calling b.s.

my index and ring fingers are the exact same size and i'm very well endowed.

actual measurement:: 5.25 flacid, 8" erect.

i'm calling bullshit on this study.

*the method for measurement is that which guinness uses for their record keeping. top center of base, to the tip at a perpendicular right angle.

July 5, 2011 at 12:23 pm | Reply
    • Peter Principle

Calling BS on obvious BS...

1. Guinness does NOT publish a record for longest human penis and never has.
      2. 8"? Average penis length in humans is 5.1" to 5.9" 95% of human males are within this range. Less than 1/10th of 1% of human males are longer than 7".
      3. The correlation cited in the Korean study is better than 97%, meaning in more than 97% of the cases 2D:4D ratios are accurate penis length predictors, peroid.
      5. While there's a very slight possibility that you are some kind of massively improabale statistical anaomoly, the probabaility is astronomically higher that you, like many males discussing their genitallia, are full of poo.

July 5, 2011 at 7:19 pm | Reply
      • Craig

I find the study suspect as well. Both my digits are the same length and I'm just over 8" fully erect. The practice of stretching the penis in this study is ridiculous. Perhaps Koreans who have smaller penises on average could get away with stretching....but believe me when I tell you that you aren't going to stretch my flaccid penis to 8 inches even tho it is that long erect.

If they wanted this to be a real scientific study they would have removed as many variables as possible ...this means they wouldn't have stretched which has variance depending on pain threshold and force used ....and instead would have measured actual erect penises.

July 6, 2011 at 4:07 am |
      • u haz micropenis?

me thinks "little" peter principle has small penis and is just mad.

July 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
      • dangling fury

peter, according to your figures there are 3,500,000 males on earth who have penises larger than 7 inches. That's quite a lot of large man meat swinging around. are you mad that you aren't in that club? lol

July 6, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
      • harper

@peter i don't know if you are correct 95% men have 5.1" to 5.9" wow i didn't konw i am freak.

July 16, 2011 at 1:20 am |
  5. Peter Principle

I editied out point 4 and didn't change the numbering. Oops. All else stands...

July 5, 2011 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  6. Odessa

Stupid article. Men, you exist to glorify God and protect women and children and provide for them. For no other reason. Stop all the false notions for everyone's sake. Size of anything is nothing; it's the quality of your dream and your character, men. You are allowing women to take over leadership because you forgot God and refuse to excel.

July 5, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Reply
    • Dick

Get in the kitchen

July 5, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Reply
      • Craig

hahaha right on!

July 6, 2011 at 3:57 am |
  7. Odessa

Man, once you live to con-cen-trate on making yourself happy or any type of pleasure, you are in-stantly a loser. Con-cen-trate on finding truth in the universe, on exploring the world filled with wonders, and on making your only woman and children happy, as a responsible male human being. I know many of you didn't have good fathers, but it won't be an excuse to ruin your own life. Wake up. Stop blaming others or having self-pity. Take up your own responsibility as a man and battle. People, many women and children, are going through a lot harder time than you. Do something to help. Seek God. Read the Bible.

July 5, 2011 at 10:12 pm | Reply
    • Sillyness

Odessa, I am sure you meant well by your comments but being a responsible man to God does not equal exploring the wonders of the world, marrying women and having children. Much to Satan's joy, those are primary distractors of men in this world (KJV, 1 Corinthians Ch. 7; with much emphasis on versus' 32 thru 35!).

To rebut myself before some else "clevery" does, I would also say reading this article and its comments are equally a distraction from God as well.

July 30, 2011 at 7:11 am | Reply
  8. Odessa

Men become feminized and purpose-less and pleasure-centered if they ignore the Biblical principles. They care about the stuff that women or children usually care about.

July 5, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Reply
  9. Oscar

This article merely suggests that there is a positive correlation (i.e. not zero or negative).

And bodily measurements are rarely normally distributed far from the mean.

July 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Reply
  10. Andrew

Odessa: Put down the bible and read the works of Richard Dawkins – It'll help you with your mental issues: I Promise.

July 16, 2011 at 2:59 am | Reply
  11. Don

I have a normal willy and a normal sized tongue......BOTH of which I know how to use to concentrate on the needs of my date.

And THAT, my friends, is what's important......

July 16, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Reply
  12. WTTF08080

There is a precise ratio between the length of the longest finger to the base of the hand and size elsewhere . . . . . . . .

July 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Reply
  13. ColoraradoRed

Really...this is what they do over there in their pursuit of science? Why do we keep our troops there?

July 24, 2011 at 8:26 pm | Reply
  14. Brock Steeleman

If my fingers are long enough, they make up for other shortcomings! HE he he

July 25, 2011 at 11:58 am | Reply
    • Butch Steadman

Way ta go bud. As LONG as ya leave the girl smilin'.

July 25, 2011 at 11:59 am | Reply
  15. Leroy Longfellow

Let da fingers go da walkin and da talkin brotha!

July 25, 2011 at 12:00 pm | Reply
  16. Jananobanana

wow if I had a dick, it would be enourmous!

July 25, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Reply
  17. Paganguy

This is all nice but I wear size 13 shoes. Can I lick my eyebrows? No, not even close.
    I am a dedicated orgasm donor.

July 30, 2011 at 12:33 am | Reply
  18. Matthew

I wonder how much government money we wasted on this useless research.

August 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  19. shooter

Heya, Thanks a lot for this fantastic posting! I have to bookmark this website. Thanks.

January 31, 2012 at 12:19 pm | Reply
  20. Jimmy 2 times

the info is presented wrong. The actual study says that the index finger needs to be shorter than the ring. The bigger the diff the more testosterone exposure in the womb

March 8, 2016 at 4:19 pm | Reply