July 23rd, 2011

Watch GPS: David McCullough and Morocco's Foreign Minister

This week, a GPS show that takes a step back to look at the bigger picture.  Fareed Zakaria goes one-on-one with one of the world’s most decorated historians. David McCullough has won two Pulitzer prizes for his biographies of Presidents Harry Truman and John Adams. He delves into history to give us vital insights about America’s present, and where it needs to go in the future.

Also on the show: a smart discussion on Libya, Syria, and Afghanistan with Anne-Marie Slaughter and Gideon Rose; an interview with the Foreign Minister of Morocco; a polemical take on VeneCuba – the outdated friendship between Venezuela’s Hugo Chavez and Cuba’s Fidel Castro. And finally, a must-see segment on how to throw a beerparty, Afghan-style.

As always – the show airs Sunday at 10a and 1p ET.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Episodes • GPS Show

1. Mohammed Samad

The right wing Christian Jihadis are a real meance for the world, look at Hitler and now look at Norwegian Christain Jihadis? Is world ever going to condemn and blame the Christians?

July 23, 2011 at 9:14 pm | Reply
    • ANAND YOGENDRA.

......and here in the United States, the RIGHT WING 'CHRISTIAN' POLITICAL GROUP is made up for the most part of ABSOLUTE LUNATICS.....We have allowed this CHRISTIAN JIHAD to infiltrate our government/politics FAR TOO GREATLY......Let's kick them out and return to what the FOUNDING FATHERS intneded: SEPARATION OF STATE AND CHURCH......yogi, tucson desert.......

July 24, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Reply
  2. Laurie taylor

Why was the GPS shown one hour earlier today here in Europe without any notice of the time change? Really sorry to have missed it.

July 24, 2011 at 7:49 am | Reply
  3. Bill Crouch

Wow. What a fantastic "F-ing" interview that was! Please, please, please do a lot more of that. Brilliant, historically accurate and searing commentary by a brilliant man. MORE of McCullough and his wonderful host. Bring it men. Let's see the dopey talking heads that are currently minimizing our political discourse argue with THAT. Wow. Thank you CNN for McCullough. Finally an interview with real content and character. BRAVO.

July 24, 2011 at 10:57 am | Reply
    • ANAND YOGENDRA.

Could not agree with you more, Bill........GREAT INTERVIEW!!!!!!

July 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Reply
    • Ardis

It was a great interview and I have more respect for David McCullough than for these politicians who are playing Hide N Seek with each other. Mr. McCullough is so much more intelligent than all of these people who don't seem to know what is best for the U.S.A.

July 24, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Reply
    • utka

I agree with every word with the exception of the f word. That really took away from this accurate and well written feedback. As I was watching the interview I said the same things expressed here. I wish that every network channel interview this man so that EVERYONE can hear an intelligent and rational dialogue and not just those of us who watch cable talk shows.

July 31, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Reply
  4. allen spencer

Dear Sir,
    Please accept my compliments on another excellent show. GPS is the best of the Sunday interview shows by far. Also, I think your advice that the US should embrace a new foreign policy paradigm as espoused by "y" is correct. Your "take" on todays show makes several comments about the Tea Party and how the ideological purity of the Tea Party movement is preventing compromise in WDC. I would like to point out that the Tea Party is a reaction to the ram rod, no compromise tactics of the Democrats during the heath care debates and passage of the heath care law. the Democrats were very high handed during that period and vilified any republican or pundit who disagreed with any part of the plan ( even though they themselves did not know for sure what was in it). I work in Huntsville AL with a large number of scientists and engineers. These people tend to be more centrist or even center left in some cases. However, many of my acquaintances are sympathetic to to the TEA Party( and even belong to it) because of the " ideological purity" – they stand for less government intrusion and less spending and less debt ( a fairly narrow agenda). They are more aligned with a libertarian view of live and let live than with the Christian right wing aspect of the Republican party. In my view, the election of last fall was more about a reaction to the high handed Democrats forcing a huge bill through congress without any real compromise in order to give President Obama a political victory, and to the excessive spending from the democrats in control since 2007.Thus, it is the purity of the TEA Party message that attracts so many people from the right and center. Finally, let me point out that in my own experience and research, the more social conservatives and even some far right Republicans do not really like the Tea Party because the Tea Party refuses to be aligned with the right wing social agenda such as abortion and gay marriage etc. Please keep up the good work on your show.
    Sincerely,
    Allen Spencer

July 24, 2011 at 11:26 am | Reply
  5. AK

Congratulations Sir on a excellent and well thought out program. We appreciate it. I watch regularly and it is my Sunday Staple. Good Job and Keep it up...

July 24, 2011 at 11:36 am | Reply
  6. Shawn

What a wonderful interview with Mr. McCullough. The optimism of the famous historian made me feel better about the future of America than I have felt in months. GPS is by far the best Sunday morning show on television. Please keep up the good work. Fareed is awesome!

July 24, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Reply
  7. Maria Asunta Bucco

Dear Sir,

Congratulations on your show, I watch it regularly.

I have to disagree on your piece about Venezuela/Cuba relationships. I agree that these two countries are far from perfect, and many of their policies are not working, but I consider unfair your analysis of their economies: you are not taking in consideration the economic blockade imposed by the USA on Cuba as a factor when measuring their poor economic growth. You are also ignoring the fact that economic growth is only determined by the value of goods and services sold, but not the well being of the people: Countries you mentioned, like Brazil or Chile have had a good economic growth, it's true, but it has only benefited the top 1% of the population, and lives of the bottom majority has not improved.
    Cuba and Venezuela are leaders in the region implementing policies to improve the lives of millions, like free health care, education, or food and housing subsides.

You also point out that Cuba is surviving thanks to Venezuela's subsidies, particularly heavily discounted oil. and it's true, but you can't blame Venezuela to try to forge alliances with other countries: the USA does it too, right? and spends billions of dollars doing that. I think exchanging oil for doctors is a better deal than waging wars on other countries to impose puppet governments that will provide us cheap natural resources.
    Sorry for being so harsh, I do admire you.

Sincerely

Maria

July 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  8. John Ruchalski

Dear Sirs:
    It seems as the shows unfold , you slide a little left and selectively apply labels to positions you do not agree with.I find it very difficult to apply 'uncompromising' to only the Tea Party(House)unless the definition changes as we stagger thru the Senate and the Executive branch. No attempt by the Senate to vote on the house plan ,no effort to develop a plan and as far the Simpson plan when is Obama scheduled to read and take action.

ARE YOU AUDITIONING FOR MSNBC?????

July 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm | Reply
  9. RF

Fareed – I'm a big fan of you and your show. However, I have to comment on today's opening segment. You lay the blame much of today's polarization at the feet of those on the right end of the political spectrum – not just the Tea Party but the more mainstream right as well. Surely this is an oversimplification – many on the left demand the same level of ideological purity of democrats. NARAL, the unions, multiple NGOs and public interest groups and many democratic voters mirror their counterparts on the right in this regard. I feel that you could have been far more balanced.

Also, I'm not sure why you refered to Castro and Chavez as unlikely allies in the opening. I find it difficult to see how they can be viewed this way other than the fact that Chavez has not been quite as successful as Castro in foisting a totalitarian state apparatus on his country despite his best efforts. With all due respect to Maria's post above, I wonder how those rotting in Castro or Chavez's prisons or those frightened into silence, those killed by the regimes or those whose standard of living has suffered under their hare-brained policies feel about Srs Castro and Chavez. For the record, I'm in favor of lifting the U.S. embargo against Cuba, but using the embargo as an excuse for the state of the Cuban economy is a tired canard, much in the same way that citing unmeasurable and subjective measures of 'well-being' is. Food shortages, rolling blackouts and crumbling infrastructure cannot be obsured by unverifiable assertions that somehow life is better under these regimes, period. The biggest shame is that the loudest defenders of these regimes usually make their statements from the relative comfort of Europe or the US.

July 24, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Reply
  10. ANAND YOGENDRA.

Thank You, Fareed Zakaria....for by far the best NEWS presentatioin on T.V......by far the best...!!!! I wait all week to watch you twice on Sundays.......THANK YOU, FAREED ZAKARIA....!!!!!

July 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Reply
  11. Tom Cooper

What happened? You drank the Yankee Kool-Aid? Fareed, first and foremost you have the best news and politics related show on TV by far, due to your personality and independent thinking. I was surprised by your comments about Venezuela and Cuba re. the exchange of large numbers of doctors for oil. After your show I did a quick search of life expectancy throughout the world. The U.S. and Cuba are tied close to the top at near age 80. Venezuela and virtually all of South America lags by approx. 5 years.

So think about it. Despite all the bad things about Cuba, and there are many, they have excellent health care and loads of doctors. So importing health care to Venezuela from Cuba seems to make a lot of sense.

July 24, 2011 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  12. Richard Hudecek

What a show I wish all people and special politics see it .Mr. McCullough is hell of the man.Thanks for it Fereed.Please post all interview on your's page.

July 24, 2011 at 2:12 pm | Reply
  13. raz neal

McCullough is the first guy i have heard anywhere, who not only understands what the prez has before him, but how immense the issues are. who would want that on their head everyday, especially with the GOP pitbulls barking and biting him daily....

good show, i always learn something. not something i can say for other cable news feeds.....

July 24, 2011 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  14. Benyam

First of all I just want to express my sincere appreciation and admiration for the the great job that you do. Dr. Zakaria, you are such a knowledgeable, fair minded, person from whom I get nothing but a tremendous amount of wisdom on a weekly basis.

Thank you very much for every thing that you do.

July 24, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  15. Tom Brooker

McCullough is a national treasure. His books on Adams and Truman should be required reading in every high school in America. My only problem with the interview is that it was all too short. Of course, that's the hallmark of all good interviews. I don't think there's a person alive who understands this country better than McCullough. One other point on Zakaria's opening piece: It's right on the button. As a former congressional aide, I can testify first-hand that that there's a fundamental flaw in our federal system that allows Congress to make its own, private rules and allows redistricting to be almost entirely a political exercise. That fractional politics can hold the Senate hostage is a disgrace and, for the foreseeable future, virtually guarantees gridlock, regardless of which party has a majority. All this (and more) spells built-in structural disfunction at a time when we need thoughtful, diligent action.

July 24, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Reply
  16. ANAND YOGENDRA.

I'd like to listen to the Zakaria/McCullough interview in it's complete version.....any idea where I can find it in it's entirety/??? THANK YOU.....yogi, tucson desert....

July 24, 2011 at 3:39 pm | Reply
  17. Richard Wagner

Fareed, we stay up every Sunday night in South Africa to watch your program. What happened tonight, 24 July, ibecause the program was listed on CNN at 10:00 pm but we just got News of The World with Ralitsa

Richard Wagner

July 24, 2011 at 5:17 pm | Reply
  18. JustMe

Hilery Clinton supports Terrorism in Syria

Hilery Clinton also supports Terrorism in Syria...Leave The Syrians Alone ... America is falling apart ....work to Build it instead of using ur money to kill people ...jeez

July 24, 2011 at 7:26 pm | Reply
  19. Ajeethaa

Great interview with Mr McCullough. Very insightful and interesting facts about the Goddess of History. We need more people like him to remind us about our history to do betterment in the future. Impressed with Mr McCullough's thoughts. I like the sentiments to the clock in the Capitol.

July 25, 2011 at 10:17 am | Reply
  20. Roger Hale

WOULD LOVE A TRANSCRIPT OF McCULLOUGH'S TAKE ON OBAMA

July 25, 2011 at 11:28 am | Reply
  21. Steve Tharp

I accidentally deleted the last GPS and was bummed but realized I had it via podcast, only to find "iTunes stopped downloading GPS because you haven't watched them in awhile." What?!! I noticed on FB that I could watch it here and now I'm much, much better. To take in hours and hours of the crap that's pumped out as "news" all week and then miss Fareed, especially, as others have stated, the great interview and insight of Mr. McCullough was depressing. Now if I could only get the Closed Captioning for the hearing impaired here, I'd be ecstatic. Close enough.

July 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm | Reply
  22. Nick wylie

Fareed,

You asked Christine Lagarde a great question: Why is the medicine for bringing countries out of dangerous credit and inflationary episodes always austerity and hard times in the country being treated?

She gave the answer that I am sure she believed. However you did not follow up with the next and much harder question.

Austerity is required but it is always the little people who suffer. They almost never caused the problem; they just dont have the financial impact unless their collective actions are permitted to flower by higher ups who somehow benefit from the situation.

Thus it is either the direct action or inaction of well placed policy makers or a blind eye from same allowing an almost illicit problem to get out of hand.

The economy will be as well served if the punitive actions are taken against the wealthy and well placed. Tax them to pay for the problem; some of them caused it and some of them, probably most of them benefited from the problem in the first place. They wont like it but the next time round they will self police those amongst them who want to skate near the edge.

The additional beauty is that the lower echelons will have money to keep buying what they need and keep the economy growing. Just what you wanted Lagarde to say.

This policy has never happened because the well placed and wealthy dont like the solution; it will gore their ox.

Look at the US today. The economy cant grow. We are always told that two thirds of the US economy is the consumer. 20 million of them are out of work, 44 million are on food stamps millions have lost their homes and their collective wages have actually declined over the past 20 years. Yet we spent Trillions bailing out the other third; Why?

The economy will never grow again unless and until the consumer gets bailed out.

Let me see you start to carry this question, Nick

August 1, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Reply
  23. Abiye Johnson

i am an adicted listner of your programme from nigeria clould you please send me the name of the Aurture of THE GAME CHANGER AS REPORTEDLY REED BY MICHEAL BACHAN A TEA PARTY REPUPLICAN CANDIDATE

August 10, 2011 at 7:13 am | Reply
  24. Joe Wagner, Plymouth, MN

I was wondering how many of the Afgan people can read the Koran?

February 26, 2012 at 11:19 am | Reply