Zakaria: Reflections on 9/11 and its aftermath
September 9th, 2011

Zakaria: Reflections on 9/11 and its aftermath

Editor's Note: Tune in this Sunday in the U.S. at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. for a special edition of GPS: "9/11 and the World".  (If you're watching internationally, tune in Sunday at 4 p.m. ET, 8 p.m. ET and Monday 7 a.m. ET.) Fareed will have a one-on-one with former U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and an expert panel on how the world has changed - and not - since September 11, 2001.

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

Those of us who live in New York have our own special memories of 9/11/2001. I was driving down the Long Island Expressway, about to begin a month-long leave from my job at Newsweek to work on a book. Around 9 a.m., I switched from the CD player to the radio to listen to the news. The reports were chaotic but the outlines of what had happened were clear. I turned around and headed back to New York to get to my wife and 1-year-old boy. As I approached the Triborough Bridge I saw huge barricades and dozens of police cars. All bridges and tunnels were closed. Manhattan had been sealed off. Cell phones were useless that morning because 8 million people were trying to use them simultaneously and the result was cellular gridlock.

I turned around and headed to my destination in Long Island, the home of friends where I had been planning to work on the book.  As soon as I got there, I turned on CNN and watched with horror and anger. Finally, I was able to talk to my wife and knew that she and my son were fine. But soon I got a call from one of my dearest friends, my roommate from college. His brother, Chris, worked on one the high floors of the Towers. No one had heard from him. I began calling friends and contacts at the New York Police Department, the FBI, the CIA - anyone who might have any ideas about what I might do to help. I remember looking at the hospital emergency rooms, with beds set up on the streets, waiting for patients to come streaming in. But, of course, they were all empty. No one ever came. Chris was never heard from again.

I guessed instantly who had done it. I had followed Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda for a few years, through the attacks on the U.S. embassies in Africa and on the USS Cole in Yemen. In my previous job, as Managing Editor of Foreign Affairs magazine, I had published a commentary on bin Laden’s then-little-known fatwah against the United States by the eminent Princeton historian, Bernard Lewis. But I was still stunned by the attack - by its audacity, simplicity and success. In one respect, I was thoroughly American. I imagined that America was an island, a rock, far away from the troubles and infections of the rest of the world. And like most Americans, I felt a shock, an intrusion, a violation.

I put my book project on hold and spent all my spare hours reading and thinking about what had caused the attack.  What explained this monstrous evil? I wrote my columns for Newsweek on it and then, a couple of weeks later, I was talking to Newsweek’s Editor, Mark Whitaker, and we decided that I would write a full-length essay explaining the roots of this rage against America. I spent three days and nights in a white heat, reading, researching and writing. The result was a 6,000-word cover essay that ran in Newsweek worldwide titled, “Why They Hate Us?” It got a lot of attention - more than anything I had ever written. It was a moment that Americans - in fact, people around the world - were deeply curious for answers, explanations and understanding. The piece did deal with America and American foreign policy in small measure, but it was mostly about Islam and the Arab world in particular. It was mostly about them.

That’s how 9/11 was discussed and analyzed at the time - mostly with a focus on them. Who are they? Why are they so enraged? What do they want? What will stop them from hating us? That discussion of Islam and the Arab world had its problems, but its was a fruitful discussion, especially once it was joined by Arabs and Muslims themselves. I have often said that the most influential piece of writing of the last decade was a United Nations report, the UNDP’s Arab Development Report, written by Arabs, that documented in granular detail the decay of the Arab world. Once Arabs began to focus on how stagnant and repressive their societies had become, it set off a chain of ideas and actions that I believe has led to the discrediting of al Qaeda and its philosophy and the rise of the Arab Spring.

But if 9/11 was focused at the time on them, ten years later the discussion is mostly about us. What is America’s position in the world today? Are we safer? Are we stronger? Was it worth it? Some of these questions are swirling around because the United States is mired in tough economic times and at such moments, the mood is introspective not outward looking. Some of it is because of the success in the war against al Qaeda. The threat from Islamic terrorism still seems real but more manageable and contained.

But, in large part, the discussion about the United States is the right one to have. History will probably record this period not as one characterized by al Qaeda and Islamic terrorism. That will get a few paragraphs or a chapter. The main story will be about a rapidly changing world and perhaps about the fate of the world’s sole superpower – the United States of America. History might well record 9/11 as the beginning of the decline of America as planet’s unrivaled hegemon.

The day on 9/11, the world was at peace, and the United States strode that world like a Colossus. It posted a large budget surplus. Oil was at $28 a barrel. The Chinese economy was a fifth the size of America’s. Today, America is at war across the globe; it has a deficit of $1.5 trillion and oil is at $115 a barrel. China is now the world’s second largest economy.

Al Qaeda will be forgotten. Few people today remember what the Boer War was about. But what they do know is that, around that time, the dawn of the 20th Century, Great Britain spent a great many of its resources and, more importantly, its attention, on policing the world and sending its troops to Africa and...Afghanistan and Iraq - some things never change. But Britain forgot that the real threat to its power came from the economic rise of Germany and the United States, which were challenging its industrial supremacy.

America needs to get back its energy and focus on its true challenge – staying competitive and vibrant in a rapidly changing world. That requires not great exertions of foreign policy and war but deep domestic changes at home. The danger comes not from them but from us.

For more of my thoughts through the week, I invite you to follow me on Facebook and Twitter and to bookmark the Global Public Square. Also, be sure to tune in this Sunday at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT for a special edition of GPS"9/11 and the World".  I'll have a one-on-one interview with former U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and I'll convene a group of experts to discuss how the world has changed - and not– since September 11, 2001.

1. Abdul Ameer

Obama, with the help of flacks and hacks like Zakaria, is doing his Orwellian best to shove 9/11 down the historical memory hole. The most important fact of 9/11 was that this mass murder was perpetrated by religious Moslems in the name of Islam, supported by an ideology based on the Islamic holy texts of the Koran and Muhammad's sayings. This jihadist ideology goes very far beyond al-Qaeda. It is still very much alive, and it still motivates many other religious Moslems to commit mass murder in the name of Islam. We must never forget that.

September 10, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Reply
    • ArabGuest

You need to take responsibility for what your elected officials do outside your country instead of blaming it on other people's faith.

The Middle East is not going to be another of your killing fields like your tyrannical governments did in Vietnam in which 3 million souls were mass-murdered like they are flies.

Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq:

We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it?

Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price–we think the price is worth it.

–60 Minutes (5/12/96)

September 10, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  2. Bucktooth McGaw

What is this 9/11 thing I keep hearing about lately?

September 10, 2011 at 12:52 pm | Reply
  3. ArabGuest

We are hoping that China will rise up to the challenge of putting an end to the US hegemony in the Middle East.

China should tell the cowboys that they can drill for oil in their own continent and that there is NO justification WHATSOEVER to have their imperialist troops stationed in the Middle East killing and maiming innocent people and creating all these tensions.

OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST.

CHINA PLEASE SAVE US FROM THE NAPALM-BOMBERS.

September 10, 2011 at 1:04 pm | Reply
    • kyle

again why do you blame the entire country for the mistakes of our leaders? you say the civilian causality were wrong and you are right they are , but so are terriosts attacks, no one is free of blame. in WW2 millions of civilians died and yet we do not hate Germany, or Russia for that. it was their leaders that committed the crimes so do not blame America for what Bush did

September 11, 2011 at 12:25 am | Reply
  4. DD

It has been my opinion for years that USA is indeed making the same mistakes Great Britain made a century ago, and France a century before that, and so on, and so forth back through the ages of humanity. None of us are immune to repeating doom, not even when we remember it in all of it's terrible detail.

September 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Reply
  5. Brad

George W. Bush will always be remembered for his charisma and strong leadership during that horrific period…make no mistake, ‘history’ will judge him kindly…for the great leader he was.

September 10, 2011 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  6. Ryan

History will remember it as a day when religion (even moderates) can no longer be ignored because believing without evidence provokes people to do anything, even if it clashes with reason.

September 10, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  7. vel

I suspect history will remember 9/11 as a tragedy and as terribly puffed up by Americans who couldnt' possibly imagine that they would be living like the rest of the world and not as some "chosen people". How many people died from terrorism before 9/11? I'd guess a lot more than 3000 or so.

September 10, 2011 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  8. Anonymous

Zakaria is correct. The greatest threat to all empires comes not from the outside, but from within. Only with internal decay will a global empire be weakened enough to allow it to be superseded, or in some cases, conquered by a rising power. This happened to the Roman Empire, the Ottoman Empire, the British Empire, and is slowly starting to occur in the United States as well. In the case of the United States, there are similarities to both the Roman Empire and the British Empire. Like the Roman Empire, we have an increasingly impotent legislature, and the aristocrats (i.e. CEOs and Interest Groups) are far too cozy with the politicians in charge. Like the British Empire, we have established a vast global empire, not of colonies, but of allies. However, just as the British were forced to stretch their military resources to the limit to keep peace in its colonies, so are we forced to stretch our militaries to the limit to protect our allies from their enemies, and in some cases, even themselves. This combination of vast internal corruption, combined with highly expensive military campaigns, have substantially decreased the economic power of the United States, which had always been our greatest strength. The time to change is now. We must stop wasting billions of dollars fighting other people's wars, focus on building America here at home, and thoroughly reform the campaign contribution system to prevent influential individuals from "buying" politicians for their own gain, at the expense of our national security.

September 10, 2011 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  9. Sam Cunningham

Here is what happened 10 years ago this day: A bunch of arabs attacked US on its own soil, just the way the US has been attacking others on their own lands for centuries. US lost about 3000 people, Other nations have been losing hundreds of thousands of people... We keep bragging, they never say anything.

September 10, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Reply
    • kyle

america made mistakes in Vietnam and Iraq but you can not say the country has always been evil, every country makes mistakes i will make a bet with you that not one country has not invaded another and killed innocents

September 11, 2011 at 12:27 am | Reply
  10. Curtis Gwin Jr

Ten years ago at this time I was about to get off my shift at King Fahad hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. I turned on CNN has I normally did and drifted off to sleep only to awaken a short time later by the increase in volume by the TV. I thought it was a dream, I was just in time to see the 2nd plane crash into the Tower, Barely able to talk I called my friend who was on the dayshift(he was from NY) to alert him what had happened so he could call home. The actual only highpoint was when the news came about Flt # 93 brought down by the people aboard to save lives on the ground. The only thing I could feel was wonderment at how the other flts. had allowed themselves to be brought down by hijackers with box cutters! We heard the Saudi's behind closed and sometimes partially open doors LAUGHING! Most of the other Americans left shortly thereafter only 4 of us refused to be run out of the country, we stayed long enough to hear their laughter turn to angers has the retaliation by the US started! To this day I will always feel a special connection to those true Americans on Flt 93 who refused to be brought down on someone else's terms, because in their shoes I couldn't have thought of any better way to go!!!

September 10, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Reply
  11. Garda

I don't agree with Al Qaeda way to terror US, but why america have to be another terrorist with its invasion to other country just for oil? its a shame that powerfull country like America have to be the puppet of Israel.

September 10, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Reply
    • KeithTexas

You are right America is a puppet of Israel, but you can't reason with religious people they are all idiots who believe in fairy tales. The American Fundamentalist Christians are every bit as stupid as the Muslims we are fighting.

The sad thing about us attacking Libya for their oil we won't even get the oil or the profits. We are fighting a war for campaign contributions. Isn't that stupid?

September 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Reply
    • Anonymous

America listens to Israel because there are 10 million Jewish voters in the US, and most of them are pretty wealthy, so they contribute millions of dollars to political campaigns. Now if the Arabs want the United States to stop coddling Israel, maybe they can start selling their oil to America at a cheaper price, say 1/2 the market rate? I'm sure an offer like that would be sufficient to shift America's allegiance in the Middle East

September 11, 2011 at 12:13 am | Reply
    • Patrick

There are only 6 million people of Jewish descent in the US – not all of them are of voting age or rich.

September 11, 2011 at 8:54 am | Reply
    • NonZionist

On the surface, we have a huge kickback scheme. Congress gives Israel $3,000,000,000 per year and, in return, AIPAC helps corrupt congress people to get elected.

We are also dependent on the central bankers, Goldman Sachs, and the Rothschilds. Now that our economy is collapsing, we Americans are beginning to question our subservience to this financial empire.

September 11, 2011 at 10:41 am | Reply
  12. KeithTexas

It will be recorded in History books how America over reacted to the attacks of 9/11 and sent 6000 of their young men and women to die on the altar of the Military Industrial Complex. It will record how an ego manic President attacked another nation and imperiled more men and women for the enrichment of the Military Industrial Complex. History will record how Americans of all different beliefs voted for a black man, a Democrat, in hopes he would stop the senseless destruction and wars over seas. It will record how disappointed we were when the new President continued the policies of the Republican administration and didn't stop the wars or do anything else he promised to do. It will record that the Democrat president was a Corporate Slave just like all the other politicians in Washington

History will show how the autocrats in Washington and the new secrecy and intelligence agencies, started as a result of 9/11, eventually stole all our rights and privileges as citizens of America, History will show how the Congressmen and Senators finally gave what was left of the middle class to the Corporate Oligarchs and America finally collapsed.

If there is anything I can do about it History will show how some of us were willing to die for the real America and fight for what was right.

September 10, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Reply
  13. samuel george udoh

.it is clear that islam condems and does nt surport the killin of innocent life,so lets stop accusing islam,but the bad religion leaders who miss quotes the qu'ran.it is clear dat we condemm reed 4his article,but not takin not dat its our government dat is responsible 4d decline of our economy and the killing of 3000 innocent lifes.its just bad dat we fail to open our eyes in time and see dat the number 9/11 has already been in existances and has been a worning sign given to us by our own Hollywood movies industry ever be4 the horrible event had happen,or do we think its a coo-inccident?its just too bad dat we dnt realise dat our own government is capable of such a thing,also wasting our resources,then divertin our total attention to arab world,so dat we will nt notice wat they are planning undrground and just pretendin to be fighting, but wasting our money.itp just to bad for us,but we need to open our eyes wide and see things so dat we can change them now or never.plz wake up.

September 10, 2011 at 11:54 pm | Reply
  14. samuel george udoh

its unfortumate for us.we will still witness more attack because we are nt concious of the people dat are attackin us .its our government not talibans whom we think are behind our miss fortune.people open your eyes and see now b4 you'll see no more when you fall a victim of dis wicked conspiracy goin on wit our world leader.A word is enough for the wise.

September 11, 2011 at 12:07 am | Reply
  15. smile

to those who are against religion. thoes killed in the attackes are now turned into pieces of material and dust and atoms and there is nothing left to be apprecated or honored.

September 11, 2011 at 1:13 am | Reply
  16. Robin Bray

And what about the loved ones killed on Iran Air Flight 655 shot down by U.S. missiles on 3 July 1988, over the Strait of Hormuz was flying from Bandar Abbas, Iran, to Dubai, United Arab Emirates, when it was destroyed by the U.S. Navy's guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes, killing all 290 passengers and crew aboard, including 66 children. This was during the Iran iraq war when we were selling arms to Saddam's Iraq. Accident?

September 11, 2011 at 8:00 am | Reply
  17. Patrick

I could give a rats @ss about the muslims or the jews. What I don't understand is why are we getting in the middle of their conflict? Why are we wasting young lives, trillions of dollars, and making enemies abroad? It's not our fight, it's not worth our lives. Let the Jews and Muslims fight it out.

September 11, 2011 at 8:45 am | Reply
  18. Brad

History will remember 9/11 as he day America lost its mind. The country lost 3,000 that day in in response, not only have we lost an additional 5,000, but killed possibly a hundred thousand civilians. It makes you wonder about the nature of terrorism.

September 11, 2011 at 9:50 am | Reply
  19. wilbur

Too many anti Muslim and anti Jewish statements. How is this a religious war? Are we doing the Crusades over again?

September 11, 2011 at 9:54 am | Reply
    • NonZionist

Religion is being used to con gullible Americans into supporting the NWO and the secular Israeli regime.

The alleged 9/11 hijackers spent the previous night in strip joints. One group left a Koran on a bar-stool. Boozing it up and desecrating scripture on the night before one is to die: Is this the behavior of a "Radical Muslim"? Is this the behavior of a religious person?

Yet those who push the Fear drug and the Hate drug have used 9/11 to hook us on Fear of religion.

How hilariously ironic: Just two decades ago, we were all hooked on Fear of Godless Communists: We feared the LACK of religion, and we were ready to blow up the world to stop the spread of Atheism!

September 11, 2011 at 10:51 am | Reply
  20. NonZionist

/ / / When are we going to get around to INVESTIGATING 9/11?

/ / / If someone steals $100 from a convenience store, we have an investigation, we preserve the crime scene, we collect evidence, we ask about motive, we look for accomplices. But when 3,000 Americans are murdered, the parties with the most to gain simply TELL us what we are supposed to think, while they dismantle the crime scene, dispose of the evidence, block the investigation, and stall even the underfunded congressional whitewash. The victims of 9/11 deserve better.

September 11, 2011 at 10:16 am | Reply
  21. NonZionist

/ / / 4,200 Americans and over a million Iraqis have died, because we Americans allowed the neo-cons to USE the 9/11 victims as a pretext for military aggression. ....

/ / / Yet NO ONE has been held accountable. Just as NO ONE has been held accountable for stealing a trillion from our IRAs in 2008, and NO ONE is being held accountable for wrecking our economy. When accountability breaks down to such an extent, we have a PROBLEM that cannot be made to go away by shooting a feeble old man in Pakistan.

/ / / When planes are hijacked or go astray, the U.S. immediately sends up fighters to escort the planes. But on 9/11, hijacked flight 77 was allowed to fly all the way from Ohio, unescorted - a 300-mile 45-minute trip - while at Andrews AFB, 10 miles from the Pentagon, two squadrons charged with protecting the capital sat on the ground.

/ / / How did Osama do it? How DID he get the U.S. Air Force to stand down on that one particular morning? Now we will never know. And the incredible thing is that most Americans do not even WANT to know. For many of us, asking questions is seen as "Unpatriotic" and Ignorance is deemed "Strength".

/ / / I simply ask that crimes be INVESTIGATED, so that the guilty parties can be held accountable. Our failure to properly investigate 9/11 has allowed the neo-cons to level a country of 24 million people.

/ / / The longer the Official 9/11 Conspiracy Theory stands, the more our own country will suffer - for the same reason that a community suffers when criminals go free while innocent people are locked up. The absence of accountability means that there is no deterrence to crime and incompetence.

/ / / When we ask for an investigation, the Zionists ridicule us and try to silence us. If they had nothing to hide, wouldn't they WANT an investigation? Wouldn't they WELCOME an opportunity to prove their innocence?

September 11, 2011 at 10:20 am | Reply
  22. Syed

Our Condolences for all those 2,900+ innocent souls who died on September 11, 2001 brutal attack. Our Condolences also for all those innocents who died in retaliation to that attack – in a post 9-11 madness – over 1 million in Iraq, 300,000 in Afghanistan, 34,000 in Pakistan and thousands in other countries. Let's not spend precious money on war and creating hate rather for peace which would be much cheaper and full of love and kindness much needed at this point in time globally !!

September 11, 2011 at 10:22 am | Reply
  23. mag

muslims are laughing at us now. mocking us. look at the americans mourn 9/11. hahahahahaha

September 11, 2011 at 10:46 am | Reply
    • NonZionist

We act like sheep. We believe whatever we're told, no questions asked, however absurd - and what could be more absurd than the tale that 19 morons defeated the biggest military empire in history? We shoot first and ask questions never. We beat our chest with bravado, while cowering before the Israeli lobby. We claim to love freedom, while we subsidize a regime that keeps millions under perpetual occupation and bombardment.

Who WOULDN'T mock THAT?

September 11, 2011 at 10:59 am | Reply
  24. Garda

No crusades will happen if christiant and moslem back to their roots of religion. All good religion are supporting peace, i studying christiant, jewish, and islam. If u have question about a verse in bible u can look for the answer in quran, if the questioned verse in quran u can look for the answer in bible, they are all connected. So it is not the matter jewish or islam, its a matter of israel do since the begining to other country.
    If u want to know about the truth just look and study the history, both largest religion are having the same vision. I'm not anti jewish also since moses are a prophet of God. What i dont understand and dissagree is what israel do to other country or i must say tribe, for supporting their black campaign, israel print their own version of quran (the islam holly book) and spread it all over America to create propaganda about islam. Fortunately more people curious about islam and when they found they have been missguided by israel propaganda they are changing their religion to islam and even the family of 9/11 victim do that, thats proof that islam and christiant are non violence religion. Western mass media making all the black propaganda smoothers fo israel. People in europe must realize after Israel taking down Islam they will headed for Christiant, it happen once in the past in Jesus time and when they force to leave europe and it will be happen again.
    9/11 is a crime but it doesnt mean u have the right to invading the whole country and killing hundred thousand to get a revenge, Invasion to other country also a crime, what israel do to palestinian is a crime, wipe an israel from map is a crime, all are a crime against humanity. This war is not about a religion, its about power and oil. the fact is Israel using Americans resource for their goal.

27 “But I tell you who hear: love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, and pray for those who mistreat you. 29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer also the other; and from him who takes away your cloak, don’t withhold your coat also. 30 Give to everyone who asks you, and don’t ask him who takes away your goods to give them back again. 31 “As you would like people to do to you, do exactly so to them. 32 If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive back as much. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing back; and your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind toward the unthankful and evil. 36 Therefore be merciful, even as your Father is also merciful. 37 Don’t judge, and you won’t be judged. Don’t condemn, and you won’t be condemned. Set free, and you will be set free.(Luke 6:27-37)

"Be quick in the race for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Garden (paradise) whose width is that of the heavens and of the earth, prepared for the righteous – Those who spend (freely), whether in prosperity or in adversity, who restrain (their) anger and pardon (all) men – for God loves those who do good." (Quran, 3:133-134) "O mankind! We created you from a male and a female and made you into nations and tribes that you may know and honor each other (not that you should despise one another). Indeed the most honorable of you in the sight of God is the most righteous." (Quran, 49:13)

September 11, 2011 at 10:54 am | Reply
  25. Debbie S.

I have some very unusual reflections on 9/11 and what we really lost as Americans that day...http://12amusings.wordpress.com/2011/09/11/end-of-the-innocence/

September 11, 2011 at 11:31 am | Reply
  26. breeplus3

From my brother, Rich, stationed in the Middle East: "Support Your War Effort Regardless if it spreading Democracy, or Hunting Terrorist.. We have been in the middle east for 10 years, right or wrong. The majority of the middle east are having an awaking and ready to start dying for their freedom.. It's contagious and we need to keep pushing out here... That the only way we are going to change the dynamics of radical oppressive terrorist in the middle east? Ask me, it is working..."

September 11, 2011 at 11:32 am | Reply
  27. Total Nonsense

History will remember 9/11 as the main reason why religion need to be ban, why islam need to be competly destroyed and why it should bea crime to be a muslim.

September 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Reply
    • NonZionist

History repeats: Germans thought that the Reichstag Fire ( 23 Feb 1933) was the main reason why Judaism needed to be completely destroyed.

Many historians now believe that the fire was set by the Nazis themselves, to give themselves a pretext for enacting the German version of the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. Acts.

Your id is certainly apt!

September 11, 2011 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  28. Debbie S.

I will remember 9/11 as a day of significant loss for America – so much more than 3000 lives obliterated. http://12amusings.wordpress.com/2011/09/11/end-of-the-innocence/

September 11, 2011 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  29. Abdul Ameer

It is not enough to mourn the murdered and sympathize with their loved ones. Despite all the hack politically correct journalists like Zakaria and Obama's Orwellian attempt to shove 9/11 down the historical memory hole, we must never forget that this massacre was perpetrated by religious Moslems in the name of Islam, motivated by their jihadist Islamic ideology which is based in the Koran and the sayings of their prophet Muhammad. The murderers of 9/11 are dead, but that Islamic ideology is still very much alive and motivates more religious Moslems to commit more murders in the name of Islam. The fact that America has to spend untold billions of dollars to protect ourselves from Moslem terrorists proves the point.

September 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm | Reply
    • NonZionist

According to the Official 9/11 Conspiracy Theory, all of the defenses of the biggest military empire in history were magically defeated by a conspiracy of Muslim flight-school drop-outs.

What did these alleged hijackers do on the night before they were to die? They boozed it up in strip bars. One group left a Koran on a bar-stool. Desecrating scripture and wallowing in hedonism: This is what "religious Muslims" do on the night before they are to die?

The alleged hijackers seem more like "Radical Hedonists" than Muslims. So maybe we need to make war on hedonists.

September 11, 2011 at 1:17 pm | Reply