Links mentioned in today's GPS
Cover of the 2002 UN Arab Development Report.
September 11th, 2011

Links mentioned in today's GPS

- The United Nations Development Program's 2002 Arab Development Report

- Francis Fukuyama's paper, Has History Restarted Since September 11?

- Fareed Zakaria's 2001 essay, The Politics of Rage: Why They Hate Us.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Sandra

Fereed,

You always make so much sense and get right to the heart of matters, I think you should consider running for office!

September 11, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Reply
  2. Jeanne Brown

What a wonderful interview with Donald Rumsfeld! You did not let him get away with any of the trash he usually comes up with. You called him on each attempt to validate his decisions. Too bad he wouldn't admit to his regrets. You were masterful! Thank you, I wish that the whole country could watch this.

September 11, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Reply
  3. KATHRYN FELTS

Hmmm....didn't agree with your comments. Is that why my post isn't showing? I'm NOT a fan.

September 11, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  4. KATHRYN FELTS

Gee, if say what you really think, it does not post. Must only like the posts of fans. Me, I can't stand you.

September 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm | Reply
    • Jeff Rudisill

Ms. Felts, without clarifying your objections, your comments aren't particularly valuable. If you don't have anything to say, except that you don't like the show, may I suggest watching something less intellectually challenging. Perhaps you could find something more agreeable on Fox News?

September 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  5. Andre

The interview with Donald Rumsfeld was a display of intellectual and journalistic brilliance!You did a great Job Fareed in keeping him on point and somehow I still admire Rumsfeld's though sometimes controversial forward thinking. I loved it! Hope you have him back soon!

September 11, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Reply
    • Jeff Rudisill

Andre, I support your suggestion to have Rumsfeld back on GPS, and agree with your observation of Fareed's superb interview. What I don't understand is your comment re: Rumsfeld's "forward" thinking. Are you referring to his plan to restructure the military?

September 11, 2011 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  6. Mary Grier

II am a GPS fan, but am disappointed that you would feature Donald Rumsfeld so prominently on this occasion. Why give this man yet another platform ? He will not admit to his past mistakes, will not answer a question that calls his judgment or conduct into question, and the fact that he has written a book that casts himself in favorable light by ignoring what he prefers not to address is not worthy of applause., A little bit of Rumsfeld goes a long way, and America has had far too much of Rumsfeld and his cronies.

September 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Reply
    • Jeff Rudisill

Ms. Grier, I too have had enough of Rumsfeld, and was skeptical about watching. I'm so glad I did, though, and had the chance watch Rumsfeld almost wither under Fareed's challenging comments.

September 11, 2011 at 4:33 pm | Reply
  7. Rob Press

Fareed, you're such a student of history but you always miss the obvious. The roundtable on the muslim world was excellent but this is not about repeating the Boer war. The arab spring and the problems in that region are still a playout of the fall of the Ottoman Empire. History has far from ended - the 20th century, and now the 21st, is still all about working out the end of World War I. This is still about the movement of political systems from Imperial-Religious monarchies to popular democracies, just in super slow motion. Russia is still working things out. The arab region, as the inheritors of the sick man of Europe, the Ottomans, were probably the least prepared and just got forceably caught up as pawns between the West and the Soviets because of oil. Now that that pressure has been removed, that region has to deal with the same issues the rest of the world had to in 1918. There's no reason this resolution will happen quickly.

September 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  8. Andre

Fareed, with America struggling emotionally and economically to sustain the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, I would love to hear Rumsfeld's views on America "sustaining wars in more than one theatre". Yes, I heard him! Search for the tapes! I personally would like to hear him discuss this proposal with his vision of a leaner, lighter Military!

September 11, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Reply
  9. Jim Pell

Thank you for a fine interview of Rumsfeld, although your hindsight may be superior to his foresight, he is an American hero nonetheless. Also thank you for giving us an hour of Sunday morning not saturated with wreath-laying and other maudlin celebration. And for an alternative to Joe Biden.

September 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Reply
    • Jeff Rudisill

Mr. Pell, I second your comments re: meaningful Sunday morning mind-food.\
      I must say, though, thtat Rumsfeld may be a hero to you, but to me and many others, he is a world-class criminal and, what may be worse for a man who had so much power, a world-class bungler (www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bungler).

September 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Reply
  10. Paula Kaper

Thank you for today's show. GPS segments are generally balanced and thoughtfull, today was no exception. I am a fan.

September 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Reply
  11. Terry Williams

The data on the Arab condition, the pervasive lack of education and exploitation by leaders, should cause one to reflect on the seemingly large numbers of US citizens who discount world education and prefer to rally around simplistic solutions offered by political leaders waving flags and extolling fundamentalism.

September 11, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  12. Lise, Costa Rica

Excellent program today! Having listened to F. Fukuyama for this occasion was really interesting to me. I didn't want the debate to finish.

September 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Reply
  13. Carmen San Carlos

300 million arabs living in poverty, uneducated and with no hope for a chance for a better life within those oil rich nations is scandalous. It is obviously in the hands of their leaders to correct this situation. The trouble is the culture of the rich and the leaders of the Arab countries doesn´t contemplate spending the time and money on improving the social status of their countrymen. A Sept 11 or a Jihad is a tool to not have to face these realities. The Arab Spring is a hope, but yet again a small minority is using the innocent to change the panorama for their own eventual benefit. Even if they start today, it will be 30 years before we see any results.
    The war on fundamentalism will only be won once we in the democratic world oblige the leaders and the rich of these countries to get their act together and correct these social problems and give their people a chance for a better life.
    So maybe we better start changing our tactics... today.

September 11, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Reply
  14. Prudent Man

I am a market analyst and national and global observer. I watch many many hours of business news and information programing every week. If I had to reduce it to only one hour, it would be Fareed's show. Thank you Fareed! and thank you for taking Rumsfeld to task!

September 11, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Reply
  15. robharp

Fareed, why not cover this story for CNN?

September 12, 2011 at 12:57 pm | Reply