September 14th, 2011

Zakaria: Only China can save Europe

I've written a column in The Washington Post about Europe's debt crisis where I argue that the true scale of the crisis is so large that neither Germany nor all of Europe can handle it on their own. A more drastic solution is necessary. Here's an excerpt:

Today, $10 trillion of foreign exchange reserves are sitting around across the globe. That is the only pile of money large enough from which a bazooka could be fashioned. The International Monetary Fund could go to the leading holders of such reserves — China, Japan, Brazil, Saudi Arabia — and ask for a $750 billion line of credit. The IMF would then extend that credit to Italy and Spain but insist on closely monitoring economic reforms, granting funds only as restructuring occurs. That credit line would more than cover the borrowing costs of both countries for two years. The IMF terms would ensure that Italy and Spain remained under pressure to reform and set up conditions for growth....

The time has come for China to adopt a broader concept of its interests and become a “responsible stakeholder” in the global system. The European crisis will quickly morph into a global one, possibly a second global recession. And a second recession would be worse because governments no longer have any monetary or fiscal tools. China would lose greatly in such a scenario because its consumers in Europe and America would stop spending.

Of course, China would have to get something in return for its generosity. This could be the spur to giving China a much larger say at the IMF. In fact, it might be necessary to make clear that Christine Lagarde would be the last non-Chinese head of the organization.

Read the rest of the op-ed over in The Washington Post.

Post by:
Topics: China • Debt Crisis • Economy • Emerging Powers • Europe • From Fareed

1. Jocelyn

Hi there, of course this post is truly fastidious and I have learned lot of
    things from it on the topic of blogging. thanks.

April 16, 2013 at 5:46 am | Reply
  2. http://Blog.halvarsson.se

I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts on
    this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site.
    Studying this info So i'm happy to show that I have a very excellent uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I so much indisputably will make certain to do not disregard this website and give it a look regularly.

April 21, 2013 at 7:18 am | Reply
  3. Kristy

I loved as much as you will receive carried out
    right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an shakiness over that you wish be delivering the following.

unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often
    inside case you shield this increase.

April 26, 2013 at 10:46 pm | Reply
  4. オメガ 時計

I'm curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be using? I'm experiencing some small security problems with my latest blog and I would like to find something more risk-free.
    Do you have any solutions?

May 9, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  5. Winnie

Article writing is also a fun, if you know then you can write or else it is difficult to write.

May 13, 2013 at 4:07 am | Reply
  6. Jewish Heritage Tour

I do trust all of the concepts you have introduced in your
    post. They are really convincing and will certainly
    work. Nonetheless, the posts are too brief for newbies. Could you please lengthen
    them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

May 23, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  7. catering dusseldorf

Hi superb website! Does running a blog like this require a
    massive amount work? I've absolutely no knowledge of coding but I was hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyhow, if you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I know this is off subject however I simply had to ask. Cheers!

June 28, 2013 at 11:45 am | Reply
  8. DynastyMattress 15-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Review

It's enormous that you are getting thoughts from this post as well as from our dialogue made here.

DynastyMattress 15-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Review

July 11, 2014 at 3:59 am | Reply
  9. William

Your means of describing everything in this piece
    of writing is truly pleasant, every one be capable of
    without difficulty know it, Thanks a lot.

July 11, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Reply
  10. Russian secret weapons

The confrontation puts Moscow throughout addition} Washington upon opposing attributes inside any Middle East conflict with regard to that will really original time since the actual COLD WAR.
    Russian secret weapons http://www.teamsoldier.com/