China bans ancient dog-eating festival after online uproar
A Chinese animal lover consoles a dog after a convoy of trucks carrying some 500 dogs to be sold as meat, were stopped along a highway in Beijing on early April 17, 2011, and the dogs were later rescued to the China Animal Protection Association. (Getty Images)
September 22nd, 2011

China bans ancient dog-eating festival after online uproar

Editor's Note: The following text is from GlobalPost, which provides excellent coverage of world news – importantmoving and just odd.

China has banned a dog-eating festival that dates back more than 600 years after a Chinese internet uproar over the way dogs are slaughtered, the official Xinhua news agency reports.

Dogs are chopped up and skinned in the streets of Qianxi township in coastal Zhejiang province during the ancient festival, which is usually held in October, state-run Xinhua says.

After the victory, dog meat was served at a celebratory feast, and since then local people have eaten dog meat at temple fairs held during traditional Chinese holidays.

"The ancient fair was replaced by a modern commodity fair in the 1980s, but dog eating has been kept as a tradition," Xinhua says.

"However, vendors began to butcher dogs in public a few years ago to show their dog meat is fresh and safe, as a way to ease buyers' worry that the meat may be refrigerator-preserved or even contaminated."

Thousands of Chinese internet users criticized the dog-eating festival on social networking sites, and called for the local Qianxi government to intervene.

Post by:
Topics: Animals • China • Odd

1. Dog Lover

Before i begin i would like to say that i am not american i am European!!! I have never being to China, however I would love to go. It is understandable that it is their culture and their tradition, however we most all evolve and grow spiritualy and moraly. I see a lot of comments how when your starving you would eat anything, well maybe!! The fact of the matter is that a dog would be the last thing in my mind. After all every single other civilization lived and survived without eating dog and we all went thru starvation. Therefore, i dont see how China couldn't do the same. Furthermore, the text says "The festival marks a local military victory during the Ming dynasty, in which dogs in Qianxi were killed so they would not bark and alert the enemy. " as I interpet this nowhere it says they were eaten due to starvation. In addition, I believe it was the moraly corrupt that started eaten dog in that province and blamed it to the war. Moreover, people say that it is a 2500 year tradition and that it is justifiable because of that! OK! Well in Europe dogs were used in war and we never ate them. In addtion, in my country we had a very old tradtion of Bullfighting, which was deemed cruel and unhumane. Immediatelly after we STOPPED, our oldest tradtion. To conclude, I believe that Chinese could rise up to the ocasion and get a litte bit of humanity in them and stop that cruelty towards our best friend. We have lived and been with dogs and their ancestor for about 200,000 years.

September 27, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  2. Garrick

This does not surprise me at all. In the name of culture all sorts of barbaric behaviour is condoned in China. Here in South Africa Chinese backed poachers are daily killing critically endangered rhinos in our game reserves,just so that they can supposedly have a better erection . Other Chinese have almost wiped out our coastal abalone shellfish, they are starting to poach our lion population because some big deal figure in China supposedly had a miraculous cure from some ailment after consuming some part of a lion. In neighbouring Mozambique they are have the local population killing sharks by the thousands for their fins, which are used for soup. This wholesale barbaric slaughter is evidently their culture!

September 27, 2011 at 6:53 pm | Reply
    • Dog Lover

I agree with you , they are a very morally deprived culture! I just think it is amazing how nobody or any association ever stops them. It is about time some one stops them!!!

September 27, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Reply
  3. melkeon

I'm glad they called it off!!

November 25, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Reply
  4. 韩某某

I always think I am stupid
    .But today I think I am bright because of you.
    亲~~Because after I read the article I know what you will say

December 11, 2011 at 4:12 am | Reply
  5. wow

So if a country had a tradition of consuming humans, it would be o.k.? Yes most here sound like morons. You never eat PETS...

March 22, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  6. Mary

Forgot to also mention their other so called aphrodisiac the rhino horn........they keep eating the stuff even though it has been proved to have about as much use as eating toenails eg none. And rhinos now are becoming extinct because of them. How can they kill our beautiful animals in such barbaric ways.

March 23, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  7. V Festival

We're a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable information to paintings on. You've done a formidable job and our entire neighborhood will be thankful to you.

April 10, 2012 at 11:13 am | Reply
  8. redflag

if you no longer eat beef, we might stop kill dogs

April 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  9. pizza delivery

That is very attention-grabbing, You are a very skilled blogger. I've joined your rss feed and look forward to in search of more of your fantastic post. Additionally, I've shared your web site in my social networks

May 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Reply
  10. BettyWang

I've seen enough dogs in cages in shelters and going hungry on the streets; some people treat them like any other animals- meals.
    I think it's more sympathetic to end an animal's suffering as a meal than let it live miserably until it's a rotting corpse on the side of a road.
    I am a dog-owner and thinking of my Susie as a hamburger is revolting to me. But I'm sure if I got to know a pig a little better, I wouldn't enjoy porkchops as much.

July 2, 2012 at 7:41 pm | Reply
  11. KTSP | KTSP Smart System | Laporan Hasil Belajar | Program Analisis Soal

Unquestionably consider that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the internet the simplest thing to remember of. I say to you, I certainly get irked at the same time as other folks consider worries that they plainly don't recognize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the entire thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

September 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Reply
  12. Ena

I hate chinese people all my life for million reasons! I hate china.

December 19, 2012 at 7:09 am | Reply