Debate: Has President Obama lived up to his Nobel Peace Prize?
Chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, Thorbjørn Jagland hands the diploma and medal to Nobel Peace Prize laureate, U.S. President Barack Obama during the Nobel Peace prize award ceremony at the City Hall in Oslo on December 10, 2009. (Getty Images)
October 7th, 2011

Debate: Has President Obama lived up to his Nobel Peace Prize?

The following is an excerpt of my interview with Thorbjørn Jagland, Chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, which is responsible for awarding the Nobel Peace Prize. In this section, Jagland speaks about whether Obama lived up to the expectations of the Nobel Peace Prize he was awarded in 2009. The rest of the interview will be published later today covering topics from the tragedy in Norway to Europe's role in Central Asia.

Has President Obama lived up to his Nobel Peace Prize?

Yes, I think so. I’m as convinced as I was when he got it that he deserved it for many reasons. He changed so many things in American foreign policy; During three months’ time, he, for instance and that’s what’s the main reason why he got the prize, namely that he paved the way for new negotiations with the Russian Federation about nuclear arms. If you look at the will of Alfred Nobel that goes directly to what he said that the prize should go to the person that has worked for - he called it reduction of standing armies but in today’s terms it means arm control and disarmament. So President Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize because he paved the way for such negotiations; he said that he was willing to discuss the nuclear shield of Europe and therefore, the Russians were beginning to come back to the table and negotiations started again.

We couldn’t avoid giving the prize to President Obama given the will of Alfred Nobel and what he did on this point. But, there are other things also, which we looked at, for instance, the fact that he started immediately to build bridges to the Muslim world throughout the time.

1. Smiley of Baltimore

As I read all the responses to the original question, most are so off base with their reply that it has become a bash the President session! The one thing I know or think I know to be true is this, most people that are replying don’t even have their own homes in order, their own bills paid on time or can’t keep the people close to them happy. So now we are looking to the 44th President to have every answer to every problem in the United States, YEAH RITE. For what this President has had to overcome with the fact of even getting elected was monumental, then having two wars that one had nothing to with the price of tea in China ‘Just a saying that means not justified”, just about everyone knew that OBL was in Pakistan but we went to Iraq and got Suddam Hussein for what? A GOP that works for Wall Street and will not tax them the same way I “a blue collar work” has been taxed for the 22 years of working. A TEA Party that has some of the believes that the KKK has WOW! No one wants the Government to have control of things until something affects them. We had a previous president that did what? We had a Vice President that was the CEO of a company called Halliburton that received hundreds of millions of dollars of no bid contracts to supply the military during the wars with faulty equipment that has killed our service man as well. Where is that Senate hearing at? The only thing GWB is good for is the acronym of WMD! That we still haven’t found 10 years later!

October 14, 2011 at 3:41 am | Reply
  2. doug

^

November 25, 2011 at 1:06 am | Reply
  3. Fred Furner

I find it absurd that when someone criticizes Obama, the immediate response is generally "but BUSH blah blah blah". LOL as if stating your opinion on an entirely different person wins the argument or is even at least acceptable.

BTW, I have never heard in my life someone responding to criticism of Bush with "but CLINTON blah blah blah". If you can't answer the debate with valid points, either:

1. Don't Debate
    2. Change your Opinion

March 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm | Reply
  4. If you liked that checkout this All 44 US Presidents are linked and compared in this Epic historical doumentary on American Presidential Politics.A great reference tool for the 2012US Presidential election with Obama vs Romney.It will change the way you v

Thank you for the good writeup. It actually used to be a amusement account it. Look advanced to far introduced agreeable from you! By the way, how could we be in contact?

April 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  5. hong kong massage

Normally I don't read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to try and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great post.

May 4, 2012 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  6. massage in hong kong

It's appropriate time to make a few plans for the longer term and it is time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I could I desire to counsel you few interesting things or suggestions. Perhaps you could write next articles regarding this article. I wish to learn more things approximately it!

May 10, 2012 at 2:18 am | Reply
  7. massage in hong kong

You really make it appear so easy together with your presentation however I to find this matter to be really something that I think I might by no means understand. It seems too complex and extremely vast for me. I'm having a look ahead on your next submit, I will try to get the hang of it!

May 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Reply
  8. Techniques To Kiss A Girl

I've been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts in this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i'm satisfied to convey that I've an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I discovered just what I needed. I most surely will make certain to don?t put out of your mind this web site and give it a look on a relentless basis.

July 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm | Reply
  9. Hydraulic Wire Winders

Thanks for every other informative web site. The place else could I get that kind of info written in such a perfect manner? I've a mission that I'm just now running on, and I've been at the glance out for such info.

July 16, 2012 at 9:44 pm | Reply
  10. Engraved Nurses Fob Watchby The Personalised Touch

Excellent post. I'm facing some of these issues as well..

September 10, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Reply
  11. Increase your social presence easy & fast for FREE!

You recognize therefore significantly relating to this matter, made me in my opinion imagine it from a lot of numerous angles. Its like men and women aren't interested unless it is something to do with Lady gaga! Your own stuffs great. Always take care of it up!

September 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm | Reply
  12. EO Essential Oil Products Therapy Pre-Shampoo Treatment Rosemary and Cedarwood -- 4 fl oz

Very superb visual appeal on this internet site, I'd value it 10.

December 16, 2012 at 9:36 pm | Reply