Fareed Zakaria named Harvard's 2012 Commencement speaker
October 18th, 2011

Fareed Zakaria named Harvard's 2012 Commencement speaker

Journalist and author Fareed Zakaria did not wake up on time to hear the Class Day speech when he graduated from Yale College in 1986. “I had celebrated quite a bit the night before,” he admitted in an interview with The Crimson on Friday. Eight years later, after completing his Ph.D. in government at Harvard in 1993, Zakaria was once again unable to attend his Commencement ceremony—this time, because he had already started a job working in foreign affairs. That summer, Zakaria received his Harvard diploma in the mail.

But on May 24, 2012, Zakaria—who is now editor-at-large of Time magazine—will be the principal speaker at Harvard’s 361st Commencement, the University announced Friday.

“There’s a Groucho Marx moment in that I don’t know that I would want to attend a Commencement speech given by myself,” he joked. “But I am enormously flattered and honored.”

Read more here.

Post by:
Topics: Uncategorized

1. straton

Yes, Fareed, Greatly inspired by your success, you make a great example for all of us.

October 18, 2011 at 5:16 pm | Reply
    • Lucille Smith

Ditto to all the positive comments. When I hear the promo for GPS about giving context to world events I'm asking myself – how did they know what I was thinking?

As someone who also got her diploma in the mail, I look forward to reading the speech online. Meanwhile, congratulations!

October 19, 2011 at 1:45 am | Reply
  2. charles

I am one of the new followers of your great comments and its pretty cool. Wishing you the best as you make your speech there. Spare us of via here

October 18, 2011 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  3. 100% ETHIO STRONGER!

"Enormously, flattered and Honored". Yes Sir! You deserve it.
    "Ph.D. in Government at Harvard in 1993". That is Hilarious, so greatfull.
    America doesn't have that many like you. You are very well armed and loaded, academically.
    You should thank your beloved Family who raised you well.

Sir, you got a good heart and mind, that crushed the barriers.
    Now, the hardships gone, keep-up the good future with your Family and friends.

Thanks for sharing your great story.

October 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Reply
  4. Rakesh Sharma

You motivate us to work hard in the life and contribute in our own capacity. Thanks Fareed! Love from India!

October 18, 2011 at 5:51 pm | Reply
  5. Helen Bobaj Rager

Congrats to the best!

October 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm | Reply
  6. Rz

I am honored sir. Not quite ready to present you with my pen, but very much honored. Congratulations.

October 18, 2011 at 6:22 pm | Reply
  7. Mirza Baig

Fareed, every day I wikipedia your name and check your accomplishments. That gives me the motivation to try a different path in life. Congrats! you deserve all the success.

October 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Reply
    • usman narejo

if there is qamar between mirza and baig, then you happen to be my boss in tdap? any way good luck!

October 19, 2011 at 3:22 am | Reply
  8. usman narejo

i make it a point to listen to his gps program because of the quality of coverage and the guest speakers fareed manages to bring to the discussion!

October 19, 2011 at 3:20 am | Reply
  9. zahid wazir

Hats off to u, Fareed. It is a great honour, and keep all this up, as you are a source of inspiration to million across the globe. Many congrates!

October 19, 2011 at 6:48 am | Reply
  10. j. von hettlingen

He makes the world constantly aware of the primacy of education! Indeed the U.S. can't get enough of naturalised Americans like Fareed.

October 19, 2011 at 8:44 am | Reply
  11. Toppolina

It is an honor for Harvard to have Fareed Zakaria as their commencement speaker

October 19, 2011 at 11:35 am | Reply
  12. ClubJ

Most sincere congrats. No one better. Whilst I miss your columns in newsweek (yeah I still do) I have something else awesome to expect! Truly inspiring and admirable you are...

October 20, 2011 at 3:03 am | Reply
  13. كمال

بالرغم أنه لا يهمني مقدار معرفتك بلغة غيري ، غير أني سعيد لسعادتك ،و فخور بنجاحك. خالص إخلاصي

October 20, 2011 at 3:28 am | Reply
    • Get lost, fakystan.

This is not Chicken farm, this is CNN.

What kind of writing is that?
      It looks like the foot prints of fakystan-Taliban on Afghan border.

October 22, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Reply