Zakaria: Comparing the status of women in Iran and Saudi Arabia

(Getty Images)
October 27th, 2011

Zakaria: Comparing the status of women in Iran and Saudi Arabia

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

I recently visited Iran. Upon my return, I wrote a reflections post in which I made some comments about women in Iran in comparison to women in Saudi Arabia. I pointed out that if you watch the women of the Islamic Republic of Iran - a regime that is, by most accounts, retrograde, particularly with regard to women’s rights - you are struck by how defiantly women try to lead normal and productive lives. They wear the headscarves and adhere to the rules about covering their bodies, but do so in a very stylish way. They continue to go to college in large numbers, to graduate school and to work.

In Saudi Arabia, another country that is run along strict Islamic lines, you see an elite core of women who are highly educated and very articulate, but in general, the most striking thing about Saudi Arabia for an outsider traveling around is the absence of co-ed facilities. Some of this is changing, but my impression of Saudi Arabia is still that women are not well integrated into the workforce or mainstream life.

Behind the closed doors of homes, of course, it’s an entirely different matter.  You see intelligent and articulate women, but it is almost as if that is left entirely to the private realm, not the public.

Those are my impressions of the two countries.  I decided to make a quick tabulation to see whether the facts bear these impressions their out. What follows is a simple comparison between Iran and Saudi Arabia with regards to women’s rights.

- Women are not allowed to drive in Saudi. They are in Iran.

- Saudi women have been barred from voting, while in Iran women’s suffrage began in 1963. In September of this year King Abdullah granted Saudi women the right to vote and run in the next round of municipal elections, which isn’t expected until 2015.

- In 2010, Iranian women held 3% of ministerial positions and 5% of parliament seats. In Saudi, none did.

- The World Economic Forum measures disparities between men and women across a range of criteria - economic participation, health, political empowerment and access to education. Iran ranked 123rd out of 131 countries. Saudi Arabia was six places lower, at 129th. For political rights, Iran ranked 129th out of 131 countries. Saudi Arabia came in last.

- Women outnumber men in college in both Iran and Saudi Arabia (as they do in the U.S., too), but education doesn’t necessarily translate into employment. In Iran, women have outnumbered men in entering college by as much as two to one in the last several years. However, after graduation, women are one-third less likely to work as men. Thirty two percent of Iranian women participate in the workforce, about half the average of advanced economies. In Saudi Arabia the rate is even lower, at 21%.

I'd love to read your thoughts on this matter below. It's clear that both countries have a very long way to go.

Post by:
Topics: Iran • Saudi Arabia • Women

1. simulador creditos personales

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually recognise what you're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also visit my web site =). We will have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us

September 7, 2012 at 10:32 am | Reply
  2. ArbStore World

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to provide one thing again and aid others such as you aided me.

September 15, 2012 at 10:14 am | Reply
  3. pesaddonshop

Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity for your post is simply cool and i could think you are a professional in this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with coming near near post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the gratifying work.

October 5, 2012 at 6:47 am | Reply
  4. safe boating classes

obviously like your web-site however you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the reality then again I'll certainly come back again.

November 6, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Reply
  5. elien

through your article, I can understand the situation.

December 3, 2012 at 8:11 am | Reply
  6. usb sticks

Someone essentially help to make severely posts I'd state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this actual publish extraordinary. Excellent activity!

March 7, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  7. Bruno

I find Iranian society to be more westernized than Saudi society, even after all these years of the mullahs ruling the nation. This is not to say that Iran's culture is not rich, because it is very much so, even more than Saudi culture, as Persia was once a great empire. What I mean is that you'll find more liberal, tolerant, freethinking Iranians, both in Iran and oversees, than you will find liberal Saudis.

April 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Reply
  8. asad kazmi

Iran is a really islamic country where each and every one is freely offers islamic cusioms as per their believe because islam is not allow to any one that he will impose his views on the other persons believe

April 29, 2013 at 8:32 am | Reply
  9. kubjivloicpo

scqdygsohhup

June 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  10. thank you for an awesome website lwspjpnuup click here :-X dzmcbzl, :'( uodmgvddzx [url="http://www.zmmzhmsdnmgk.net"]or here[/url] :-/ qgdht, 3:) sooglgqbwj http://zmmzhmsdnmgk.info :-* dzmcbzl, :-* celimutfaw [url=http://zmmzhmsdnmgk.ru]dzeddscfau[/url]

nqwsdzijztni

June 16, 2013 at 2:04 am | Reply
  11. yaefakzdyeve

zihcyulhirfk

June 18, 2013 at 5:28 am | Reply
  12. where did you receive this theme? ugvcvflsck click here O:) fgpcqegklfieotf, >:O wxbtdnjulx [url="http://www.mauhkhtrijdr.net"]or here[/url] >:o tjlqrnabudri, 8| dltkahxgep http://mauhkhtrijdr.info >:O fgpcqegklfieotf,

ipblofxqzbhx

July 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  13. maral

this is my pic and i dont know hooooowwwwwwwwwwww it comes here in cnn website !!!! im so shock ....im maral esfahani , in this pic i was at tehran's fine art university and i painted cuase i studied paintand art!!!you all can visit my work in my facebook page : maral esfahani

August 11, 2014 at 5:48 am | Reply