Zakaria: Comparing the status of women in Iran and Saudi Arabia

(Getty Images)
October 27th, 2011

Zakaria: Comparing the status of women in Iran and Saudi Arabia

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

I recently visited Iran. Upon my return, I wrote a reflections post in which I made some comments about women in Iran in comparison to women in Saudi Arabia. I pointed out that if you watch the women of the Islamic Republic of Iran - a regime that is, by most accounts, retrograde, particularly with regard to women’s rights - you are struck by how defiantly women try to lead normal and productive lives. They wear the headscarves and adhere to the rules about covering their bodies, but do so in a very stylish way. They continue to go to college in large numbers, to graduate school and to work.

In Saudi Arabia, another country that is run along strict Islamic lines, you see an elite core of women who are highly educated and very articulate, but in general, the most striking thing about Saudi Arabia for an outsider traveling around is the absence of co-ed facilities. Some of this is changing, but my impression of Saudi Arabia is still that women are not well integrated into the workforce or mainstream life.

Behind the closed doors of homes, of course, it’s an entirely different matter.  You see intelligent and articulate women, but it is almost as if that is left entirely to the private realm, not the public.

Those are my impressions of the two countries.  I decided to make a quick tabulation to see whether the facts bear these impressions their out. What follows is a simple comparison between Iran and Saudi Arabia with regards to women’s rights.

– Women are not allowed to drive in Saudi. They are in Iran.

– Saudi women have been barred from voting, while in Iran women’s suffrage began in 1963. In September of this year King Abdullah granted Saudi women the right to vote and run in the next round of municipal elections, which isn’t expected until 2015.

– In 2010, Iranian women held 3% of ministerial positions and 5% of parliament seats. In Saudi, none did.

– The World Economic Forum measures disparities between men and women across a range of criteria - economic participation, health, political empowerment and access to education. Iran ranked 123rd out of 131 countries. Saudi Arabia was six places lower, at 129th. For political rights, Iran ranked 129th out of 131 countries. Saudi Arabia came in last.

– Women outnumber men in college in both Iran and Saudi Arabia (as they do in the U.S., too), but education doesn’t necessarily translate into employment. In Iran, women have outnumbered men in entering college by as much as two to one in the last several years. However, after graduation, women are one-third less likely to work as men. Thirty two percent of Iranian women participate in the workforce, about half the average of advanced economies. In Saudi Arabia the rate is even lower, at 21%.

I'd love to read your thoughts on this matter below. It's clear that both countries have a very long way to go.

Post by:
Topics: Iran • Saudi Arabia • Women

1. sorazeh

women in these places are so severely threatened abt the punishments they face on the last day that submissiveness is ingrained in them. but iranian women are far more fiesty. theyll overcome anything

July 6, 2012 at 6:51 am | Reply
  2. audi r8

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the long run and it's time to be happy. I've learn this put up and if I may I wish to suggest you some attention-grabbing things or suggestions. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to learn more things about it!

July 20, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Reply
  3. how to get rid of eczema

Hi there, simply changed into aware of your weblog through Google, and located that it's truly informative. I am gonna be careful for brussels. I will be grateful in the event you continue this in future. Numerous other people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

July 23, 2012 at 2:02 am | Reply
  4. bosch power tools

Good info, a lot of thanks to the author. It can be incomprehensible to me now, but in common, the usefulness and significance is overwhelming. Thanks again and great luck!

July 26, 2012 at 11:00 am | Reply
  5. diabetes lancets

I have been browsing on-line more than 3 hours these days, yet I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours. It is pretty price sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made just right content as you did, the internet will likely be a lot more useful than ever before.

July 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Reply
  6. simulador creditos personales

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all people you actually recognise what you're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly also visit my web site =). We will have a hyperlink alternate arrangement among us

September 7, 2012 at 10:32 am | Reply
  7. ArbStore World

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I to find It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to provide one thing again and aid others such as you aided me.

September 15, 2012 at 10:14 am | Reply
  8. pesaddonshop

Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clarity for your post is simply cool and i could think you are a professional in this subject. Fine along with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with coming near near post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the gratifying work.

October 5, 2012 at 6:47 am | Reply
  9. safe boating classes

obviously like your web-site however you need to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the reality then again I'll certainly come back again.

November 6, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Reply
  10. elien

through your article, I can understand the situation.

December 3, 2012 at 8:11 am | Reply
  11. usb sticks

Someone essentially help to make severely posts I'd state. This is the very first time I frequented your web page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to create this actual publish extraordinary. Excellent activity!

March 7, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Reply
  12. Bruno

I find Iranian society to be more westernized than Saudi society, even after all these years of the mullahs ruling the nation. This is not to say that Iran's culture is not rich, because it is very much so, even more than Saudi culture, as Persia was once a great empire. What I mean is that you'll find more liberal, tolerant, freethinking Iranians, both in Iran and oversees, than you will find liberal Saudis.

April 20, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Reply
  13. asad kazmi

Iran is a really islamic country where each and every one is freely offers islamic cusioms as per their believe because islam is not allow to any one that he will impose his views on the other persons believe

April 29, 2013 at 8:32 am | Reply
  14. kubjivloicpo

June 10, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  15. thank you for an awesome website lwspjpnuup click here :-X dzmcbzl, :'( uodmgvddzx [url=""]or here[/url] :-/ qgdht, 3:) sooglgqbwj :-* dzmcbzl, :-* celimutfaw [url=]dzeddscfau[/url]

June 16, 2013 at 2:04 am | Reply
  16. yaefakzdyeve

June 18, 2013 at 5:28 am | Reply
  17. where did you receive this theme? ugvcvflsck click here O:) fgpcqegklfieotf, >:O wxbtdnjulx [url=""]or here[/url] >:o tjlqrnabudri, 8| dltkahxgep >:O fgpcqegklfieotf,

July 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  18. maral

this is my pic and i dont know hooooowwwwwwwwwwww it comes here in cnn website !!!! im so shock maral esfahani , in this pic i was at tehran's fine art university and i painted cuase i studied paintand art!!!you all can visit my work in my facebook page : maral esfahani

August 11, 2014 at 5:48 am | Reply
    • Vincent

You look like a talented artist as well as being a fine looking woman, Maral.

March 21, 2015 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  19. Connor

Why should the gender of the person play a role in politics? If they're a good politician their gender shouldn't matter.

April 16, 2015 at 8:43 am | Reply