December 13th, 2011

Zakaria: The 'Angry Birds' dress

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

This week there was a gala event held at the Finnish Presidential Palace to celebrate the anniversary of the nation's independence. Guests were dressed to the nines - proud as peacocks of what they were wearing. But one woman was interested in a different kind of bird. Look closely at her dress in the video above. What do you see? It's an Angry Birds dress. Yes, that addictive smartphone game.

So is she the biggest fan ever of the game? No. It turns out she's married to a company executive.

Now, if you think I've just wasted 30 seconds of your time telling you about this, think about this: The world has wasted a total of 200,000 years playing the game - much of that in the last 12 months alone.

Just imagine what we could have accomplished if that time was spent productively.

Post by:
Topics: Last Look • Odd

1. Michael

Humans have spent a lot of time on developing and enjoying the arts of all kinds, from painting, sculpting, music, movies/television, sports. Imagine what could be done if we gave up on all that and worked on something more useful.

Moral of tale: get that stick out of your butt. Everyone needs something to decompress and just enjoy life. It just turns out a large number of people like one simple game.

December 13, 2011 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  2. deb

at least Zakaria offered a printed version of his story. The news' sites force us to watch minutes of ads before offering us two seconds of news....much of it so shortened, so poorly reported, or reported by us, ireporters it is not worth our time

December 13, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  3. Rufoscoe

Non sequitur. Define Productive.

December 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Reply
  4. tim

they need to get over this angry birds thing because its not that big of a deal as everyone is hyping it up to be its a kids game kind of like facebook

freenapkin(dot)com free stuff for cnn readers

December 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  5. bxgrrl

Thank goodness I thought the game was boring and tedious and quickly uninstalled it. That saved my life!

December 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Reply
  6. Neeneko

Meh.. people who consider video games to be unproductive time are either hypocritical or blind. Play is a major element of building your brain well into adulthood an old age.

December 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Reply
  7. Bill

1% – Those that create games like Angry Birds
    99% – Those that waste time playing

December 13, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  8. Fnordz

Learning strategy and angles/geometry IS being productive, Fareed.

December 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  9. Wild assumption

This assumes that those who spent the time are actually capable of being productive.

December 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  10. Ya but ....

That's 200 years that people weren't out raping and pillaging

December 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  11. Kevin

Hey RhagHead; Get a freaking life!

December 13, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Reply
    • AMERICA WE ARE ON NOTICE

Hi Fareed, Thank you for sharing this very pertinent information. We do waste plenty of precicious time on games like this. Personally, I do play Angry Birds, but I will cut down after reading this article. America has to realize that we will become a third world country if we don't wake up. If you can't quit the game completely (because it is rather addictive) at least cut down severely on the amount of time spent engaging in it. As an American, i'll be the first to admit that much productivity and time is wasted and lost to the less important and menial things. Thanks for opening our eyes Fareed! Keep up the good work! WAKE UP AMERICA – WE ARE ON NOTICE IN EVERY AREA OF OUR LIVES & IN THIS ONCE GREAT SOCIETY. Let's all wake up and do better to make this nation the great place it once was, before it's too late.

December 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm | Reply
      • jross

omg.

December 13, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  12. ryananthony

i love you fareed, but i have to say: playing a fun game is a million more times more productive than talking about any of the gop candidates endlessly on 24 hour news channels, considering none of them will ever be president anyway...

December 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  13. Daws

Given that I play it for like 2 minutes at a time I'd love to hear what groundbreaking thing I could otherwise do in those short increments?

December 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  14. Song

I was playing the game while being productive, I was nursing my baby.

December 13, 2011 at 4:10 pm | Reply
  15. ShaneB

I was entertained. Please continue.

December 13, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Reply
  16. Folks

I agree with Fareed's point about angry birds as time waster. But don't you guys think Fareed is reaching as far as to expect all humans may be like machines or perhaps like himself. :)

Not joking but we do spend so much time in the toilet, shouldn't we eat less so spend less time in WC? or we press our clothes and it takes time, considerable amount of it, shouldn't we just put on wrinkled ones and go on :)

December 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm | Reply
  17. MeatLover

Sorry Zakaria – you are correct. I will make sure that I am much more productive when I'm on the toilet – I'll bring my laptop with me that way I can play Modern Warfare 3.

December 13, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Reply
  18. Sean

Just imagine what we could accomplish if we spent our time productively?

I'm sorry this one of the most asinine comments I have ever heard. I can make you this promise Skeletor; I won't be wasting anymore of my time reading your crap articles.

December 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  19. jcandle

I think more time (and money) has been wasted listening to Fareed. Just having an accent doesn't make you an expert at anything.

December 13, 2011 at 4:24 pm | Reply
  20. LoEntropy

Imagine how much humanity could accomplish if no one ever took a break or a vacation .... =/

December 13, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  21. vintage 274

By this argument we would have NO leisure activities. Our lives would only count if we are engaged in PRODUCTIVE activities. We should be little worker bees, endlessly contributing to society and the greater good. Sounds like USSR propaganda to me. Imagine life without lying on your back occasionally just to look at the clouds. Sad.

December 13, 2011 at 5:00 pm | Reply
  22. jross

Never mind the game, seriously, let's get to the point, THAT DRESS IS HIDEOUS! I hope they paid her a lot.

December 13, 2011 at 6:07 pm | Reply
  23. Zerde

Honestly I feel like Fareed decided to take a cheap shot at angry bird simply because it a video game and not as "mainstream" yet as other forms of media. I dare Fareed to do the same to movies, sports, tv or any other leisure activity.

December 13, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  24. Adnan Khan

I don't even find Angry Birds that fun. It gets really annoying and then I turn it off. I usually spend my time outside, and in my neighborhood.

December 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm | Reply
  25. Ryan

My son loves Agry Birds. My brother in law and his wife gave him a stuffed red bird at their wedding reception for my son being the ring bearer. I just downloaded it to my laptop over here in Afghanistan so i can play it at night before I go to bed. Even my seniors in my office play it on their iphones.

December 13, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Reply
  26. Angela

Maybe some of these people would have done bad stuff with that time "I was gonna shoplift stuff at the 7-11 but I sat around all day and played Angry Birds instead".

December 13, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Reply
  27. yahmez

I have wasted years of my life as a CNN junkie. We should all work 168 hours a week so we don't get labelled as "unproductive".

December 14, 2011 at 7:18 am | Reply
  28. Mike

With all due respect Mr. Zakaria, lighten up, the world is so tough and drastic, whats wrong with some mindless entertainment now and then?

December 14, 2011 at 7:27 am | Reply
  29. rusne

rusne jurga robe

December 14, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Reply
  30. kablah

i wish we could fling a few angry bird bombs at iran!

December 15, 2011 at 3:18 am | Reply