January 17th, 2012

Zakaria: South Korean soldiers train in freezing cold

Now, this is certainly not my idea of fun, but the South Korean soldiers sure seem to be smiling as they frolic half naked in the snow. Just letting off some steam after the ratcheting up of tensions with their neighbors to the north?

No, these Special Forces soldiers are actually preparing for war with North Korea. About 250 of them this week were embroiled in these tests of raw endurance to prove themselves in war-like conditions. Half naked soldiers did push-ups, skied with their rifles, and took a dip in icy cold water, all to test their physical and spiritual abilities.

Not to be outdone, female members of the Special Forces also joined in on the military exercises, but they got to keep their clothes on and presumably stay a little warmer.

Check out the video above.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show • Last Look • Odd

1. Hahahahahahahahahahaha

What ever happened to that drone in Iran? Magnetic bomb anyone? Hahahahahahahaha

January 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Reply
  2. j. von hettlingen

North and South Koreas are – still – technically at war, despite the end of the Korean War. Relations between the two remain fraught since 2010 following the sinking of a South Korean warship and an exchange of artillery fire across the disputed western maritime border.

January 17, 2012 at 5:31 pm | Reply
  3. Sam

Republicans are so ariafd of Ed Schultz, they wish he would go away. He calls it right down the middle, even when it comes to the Democrats. The right wing is not interested in facts or reality so it's useless arguing with them. By the way, people love to watch crap like the balloon incident. That's how we are as Americans, we enjoy drama on TV. The balloon incident was drama. And to tell the truth I don't see a lot of people tuning into MSNBC to watch "balloon family" CNN will win that audience every time.

February 10, 2012 at 5:24 pm | Reply
  4. Linda

Thanks for the good words. I appreciated being able to acsces Al Jazeera and keep up with the protests and was impressed with their attempts to keep objectivity in their reporting and provide viewpoints from various sides. I also strongly second your plea to beware of the conspiracy theorists who originally backed Mubarack for fear of the protests being orchestrated by Muslim Brotherhood. I have thrilled to see video of churchmembers from Kasar Dubara church leading worship for the masses in the middle of Tahrir Square!!! I join you in praying the transition from Mubarak will lead to the growth of God's Kingdom community in Egypt. Just a side not from my perspective on social media in outreach. Having worked in the Middle East for ten years and having followed these protests intently I can tell you clearly that those phones were feature phones capable of texting and limited web acsces- they were not iPhones or Blackberries (an iPhone would cost your average Egyptian more than four months wages). Mobile outreach is key in places like Egypt but we must keep the focus on what device people really use and what services they can really afford to acsces!

July 5, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Reply
  5. Asha

I'm quite confident that if she derlievs a performance on the par of the Couric interview, the candidacy is dead in the water. Presumably she's working on this, however. If she can muddle through, perhaps they can score some points, but talk about the soft bigotry of low expectations!

July 21, 2014 at 11:29 am | Reply
  6. Ismail

Lew,Maybe it is you who can't see the forest turghoh the trees (or more like you can not see the individual trees due to the forest), related to corporate taxes.Did you understand my argument at all, you can't refute it.I can refute yours.I believe you did use the word You, addressing me.Interesting that you disliked both candidates. I grew to like both candidates (each for different reasons). At one point I disliked both of them. Perhaps I was expecting too much.And Obama did improve turghohout the campaign.Anyway, just give the guy a chance, stop calling him names, referring to him as a savior, and other slants.Wait and see what he does. I am sure some of it I won't agree with. When he does something, think to yourself, how would I feel about the same thing if McCain did it. Today is the first time I have ever thought Bush to be stupid. And it is possible I just don't know enough. Maybe someone is gaining something in this deal, like maybe someone involved in the decision works for a company that will profit from the decision or something.

July 25, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Reply