Lindsay: America's lost decade
January 28th, 2012

Lindsay: America's lost decade

Editor's Note: Dr. James M. Lindsay is a Senior Vice President at the Council on Foreign Relations and co-author of America Unbound: The Bush Revolution in Foreign Policy. Visit his blog here and follow him on Twitter.

By James M. LindsayCFR.org

Economists and journalists like to refer to Japan’s woeful economic performance in the 1990s as the “lost decade.” Have the past ten years been a lost decade for the United States? That’s a reasonable conclusion to draw when you look at the growth—or to be more accurate, the lack of growth—in payroll jobs in the United States in recent years. In 2011, the U.S. economy generated 131.9 million jobs, that’s not only below the peak number of 138 million jobs reached just before the 2008-2009 financial crisis, it’s below the 132.5 million jobs that the economy generated in 2000. These numbers explain a good part of the dissatisfaction currently roiling American politics.

Read more from Lindsay's blog here.

Post by:
Topics: Jobs • United States

1. www.twitter.com/hlmelsaid

the real face,rate,dimension of the problem.

January 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  2. jakson

The most powerful horror film in the history of world cinema

January 28, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Reply
  3. Rz

Mr. James M. Lindsay.

I cannot recall any of your previous write ups, although I'm sure I've probably run through a few, and may even have commented. But this one?? Not too shabby. Good job sir !

HEY FAREED ?!? Have you seen this guy?? Check it out! It's not bad. Not bad at all. I like it!

January 29, 2012 at 3:11 am | Reply
    • Rz

Just checked out the CFR.org website. First time ever.
      Ok....maybe I did hear about it somewhere before, but not too sure.
      Please forgive my unbridled ignorance and any unnecessary prior comments, you can't expect me to know everything.
      (Gee, nothing like getting hit in the with a sledge hammer or something.)
      I'm just gonna go shut up and be awe struck with humility for a liitle while.

January 29, 2012 at 3:53 am | Reply
      • Rz

Reply to this debacle! Don't even think of it! Just go their website, you'll understand. http://www.cfr.org/

January 29, 2012 at 4:03 am |
  4. j. von hettlingen

Mr. Lindsay. as a result of the financial debacle in 2008/2009 and in light of the bipartisan brinkmanship in the Congress, the world is surprised that the U.S. economy has gone into the abyss. America is recovering, growth comes slowly. So be patient and stop nagging Obama's administration.

January 29, 2012 at 4:40 am | Reply
  5. Matthew

Thanks bro, you are right about the landscape, I took a few of those but this was more apenalipg at the time because the landscape ones had distractions around it. But yeah the offroad area could use some cropping.I am happy that you are getting inspiration from my ideas, we will both need to take ideas from each other as we move along coz at days we will not find anything to shoot so any kind of inspiration will do.

April 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Reply