March 19th, 2012

@FareedZakaria on #SavingHealthCare

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

Last night, my special premiered on CNN: The GPS Road Map for Saving Health Care. Thanks to thousands of you, the hashtag I used to live-tweet the special, #SavingHealthCare, trended on Twitter.  I've pasted some of the most re-tweeted tweets below.

Now, if you missed the special, you can catch it again on Saturday, March 24th, at 8pm and 11pm ET/PT in the U.S. If you live abroad, the special will premier on CNN International on Saturday, March 24 at 9:00pm ET.

Now to the tweets:

Post by:
Topics: From Fareed • Health • Internet • Technology

1. William Seno

Fareed gets at the core and is factual, honest, and informative as usual. The method used by Fareed to seek the truth should be used by our government to weigh these truths for the benefit of the people. However, lobbyists, political agendas, and selfishness trumps any good progress.

March 20, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Reply
    • Jake

16a13635158You actually make it apaper really easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be really something that I think I'd by no means understand. It seems too complicated and extremely huge for me. I'm looking ahead for your next put up, I will try to get the grasp of it! 18d

April 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  2. Fiona Tuan

I myself work as a nurse in Taiwan, and you know what?
    That's exactly the same words we health care professionals in Taiwan try to tell the public
    to stop them abusing the health insurance system!
    The health insurance here are so cheap that people don’t know to cherish it!
    Don’t encourage your people to do so.
    You have no idea how much we doctors and nurses here are paid for to support this “Low Cost system”

March 21, 2012 at 3:10 am | Reply
    • Mercy

James Canning says: January 12, 2012 at 2:26 pmIn my opinion, the eenimes of Iran chose (Siege) war against Iran in 2007.I have laready explained my reasons for believing so.Later, in 2010, when US destroyed the Turkey-Brazil-Iran deal, it was clear that the US-EU planners wanted to give their Siege War a chance.When the Siege War given that chance did not succeed, they began escalation last November.This escalation, like Israel's 2006 escalation in Lebanon, is one to strategic nowhere.It will not produce any strategic shift that benefits them (Axis Powers) in my judgement.As far as I can tell, Iranian leaders seem to have been prepared and are responding in a calculated manner.The problem with Axis Planners outside of their consistent refusal to concede to the changed geopolitical situation that their own actions had created is that they cannot push against Iran in isolation. In reality, there is wide physical front from Hindu Kush to the Mediterranean Sea; that is the theatre of operations.And then there is world economy that needs oil and will buy it when and where it can.At this time, Axis Planners are still thinking of somehow gaining control of Syria; I think that is no longer obtainable.If I were a US or EU leader, I would solicit Russians or the Chinese for a fig leaf to climb down from their perches.Say revive the Russian Step-by-Step plan or call an international conference on the Middle East.

April 23, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Reply
  3. Peter Lee

Dear Fareed Zakaria, CNN

Your show on March 17th, 2012 really got very “bad” influence on the healthcare system in Taiwan. As you had mentioned before, the cost of health care is Taiwan was “Very Cheap” and it was really that indeed. Compared with the other healthcare system with the same quality of care all over the world, the lowest expense of the healthcare system supplied by the government in Taiwan is based on the “Abbreviation” of the medical doctor, nurse and other medical specialists involved. With the lowest payment, overloading time and illegal discount of payment by the government, the healthcare system was “Amazing Cheap” and too good to be possible for you. In Taiwan, the doctor is accused as a criminal or a murder when medical problem happens even without purpose. The doctor would be sentenced to be in a jail with that. Very ridiculous, is not that? The family or even the court would like to abuse the criminal law to force the doctor to make an agreement to pay very high amount of money for the punishment. The evidence is as following

Frankly speaking, it is really unfair and unfortunate to practice medicine in Taiwan now and medical students would not like to get involved with internal medicine, surgery, gynecology, pediatrics, critical care and emergency any more. They would like to choose the specialists with less risk of legal problems such as cosmetics of dermatology. The healthcare system is now decaying and destroying in Taiwan. However, your show let our government to have a good chance to show the public that “ CNN reported that: We get good quality of healthcare system with the less expense” . Our government used your show to mislead our citizens. The evidence is as the following http://tw.news.yahoo.com/%E7%BE%8E%E5%9C%8B%E6%95%91%E5%81%A5%E4%BF%9D-cnn-%E5%AD%B8%E5%AD%B8%E5%8F%B0%E7%81%A3-190000800.html

Because you show was abused as an advisement of our government, please correct that at your show and maybe you could make a “new issue” and “discussion” about the healthcare system in Taiwan. We are very happy to help you for that. It is interesting to know more about the “ Too Good To Be Possible “ health care system in the world, is not it ? Maybe you could find the real truth of healthcare system in Taiwan and maybe that might be helpful your government to avoid the awful mistakes made in Taiwan.

March 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  4. migeli

Democrats answer to our health care problem"Obamacare". Republican answer "Wedon'tcare."

March 22, 2012 at 12:13 am | Reply
  5. Zach

So can I get this episode on iTunes?

March 22, 2012 at 9:57 am | Reply
  6. deniz boro

Lot's of talk

March 23, 2012 at 12:09 am | Reply
    • deniz boro

While all this talk went on, I broke my nose at home on Monday morning early. The overall "curing" time was 40-50 minutes as I went to emergengy. YEP health care can be a big issue for USA, but it isn't for Turket anymore. Looking back to the history I am forced to say that "IT TAKES INTENSION"

March 23, 2012 at 12:17 am | Reply
  7. whitehousevscannabis

IT'S TIME FOR A RIGHT TO DIE. Fareed Zakaria, Your Grand Plan for Health Care simply won't work without people given the Right to Die via a $10.00 Death Drug. Millions and millions of Seniors and Disabled will not be able to afford this private care you talk about, and so will need another solution: The Right To Die. Otherwise your Plan is DANGEROUS and will cause untold Suffering to millions. Seniors and disabled beware! The so-called Religious are against the Right to Die but not the forced Suffering from schemes like yours. This is ironic because the Religious should be glad to "move on to heaven" when there time comes; to not be selfish and live beyond the natural time God gave them, thus putting their children in danger of a collapsed medical system. DUMB. I will be the first to sign up and help save our country billions of dollars. Fareed Zakaria, be aware, this is the Massive Blowback your scheme will receive from AARP and all 21st century rational people. So add it to your Plan NOW.

March 24, 2012 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  8. Steve

Fareed Zakaria has a thoughtful style of reporting, which I appreciate, but unfortunately the report is very one-sided. I wish he would read this post and look from ALL the sides of the system. I always felt that comparing costs across the borders is a useless exercise. It's apples to oranges. Let me ask Fareed a few questions. Let's take Taiwanese system:
    1) How much money and how many years does it take a person in Taiwan to become a doctor? Any investment has to be recouped, right? So, here in the US, the private colleges charge $35-45K per year for the Bachelor's degree, then a medical school will cost about the same per year. So, by the time you graduate you invested $280K-360K USD and 12 years (including residency). Most docs start practicing when they are around 29-30 years old. By that time most other professionals are 7-8 years out of college, have savings, a house, etc., not just a $200K loan.

2) How much do docs in Taiwan get sued? We have the highest number of lawyers per capita and they all want to eat. So, the find the ways to sue everyone left and right and the docs waste a ton of effort and money to protect themselves. Is that the same case in Taiwan?

3) How much does the medical equipment cost in Taiwan?

4) Pharma companies run commercials on TV here in prime time, not only causing people to request sometimes unnecessary meds, but also someone has to pay for the prime time spots – that's us, the patients. Do pharma companies run commercials in Taiwan?

5) Most the cost savings in healthcare can only come from one place – reducing the doctors reimbursements and increasing their work hours, like the did in Taiwan. It's in your program, stated clearly. So the question is, would you like to be the patient #200 at the end of the day of the overworked and underpaid doctor? Do you think he/she will be able to diagnose your complicated condition given the workload? A related question is – if the medical career promises to be 10-11 hour days for half the compensation, how many bright and talented individuals will chose it? I'd think they will go to investment banking, where even today by the age of 35-38 they will be making $500-700K per year without medical school loans and given the comfort the government will always bail them out in case they screw up.

6) Are Taiwanese people as sick as the US people? Do they gorge themselves on burgers, while already being obese? It strikes me that the sickest in this country are obese or/and smokers. These conditions are under people control and can be avoided, if people were taking care of themselves and not putting the responsibility on the gov't to fix them. Yes, it's hard to work out and eat veggies. It's much easier to eat french fries and sit on the couch watching football.

7) What about the retirement? Do Taiwanese have to put their own money away at the same rate as we do or does the gov't provide a reliable pension system?

In conclusion, the health care system cannot be viewed just from one point of view. It's much more complicated than that and involves so many other things – legal system, education system, retirement, equipment costs, pharma costs, patients' expectations for quality and time, etc., etc.

I would hope you could address the question from many other viewpoints.

- Steve

March 24, 2012 at 9:34 pm | Reply
  9. Richard Corey

Stark contrast between British healthcare and that of the US. Brits pay less per person, but support all citizens and is much cheaper, but has limitations for the extremely rich. The American system allows for anything money can buy, but has expense limitations for the poor and middle class. Politically, a difficult situation in the US for many reasons.

March 24, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Reply
  10. John

First of all, I think if you are going to present the good of other systems, you also need to present the short comings and the differences between the US and other countries. Because I'm from Taiwan and I'm a physician in the US, I will only comment on the Taiwanese system. First if all, the cost of the system is much less than the US. But because of the low cost that the government forces on providers, doctors in Taiwan sees 200 patients over a span of 8-9 hours. That works out to be 2-3 minutes per patient. There is no way a physician can possibly evaluate a patient properly, come up with diagnosis, write the correct prescription and dosage, explain the side effects of the medication, explain the signs that the patient should look for should the medication not work in 2-3min. That's why medical errors are on their 7PM news broadcast almost daily. This problem is rampant in taiwan. As a person example, my relative who is 60 went into a Taiwan hospital, with chest pain and blood pressure of 190/110. The ER doctor in Taiwan gave him a blood pressure lowering medication and told him to leave. No EKG was done. They didn't even bother making sure his blood pressure actually went down before discharge. In the US, this would have been a malpractice case and the doctor would have been fired. My relative's chest pain could have been a myocardial infarction but they released him without checking him out. This is what you get with 2-3min visits. This is what you get when the doctor makes less than what your barber makes.

March 25, 2012 at 1:23 am | Reply
  11. Ramin Sabeti

I have a new plan for health care.
    Do you interest on it?

March 25, 2012 at 8:39 am | Reply
  12. paul

get off the drive thru and the TV, stop worrying about what the do nothing "celebs" are doing, try exercise and real food
    less drugs , less long term care etc

March 25, 2012 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  13. James Maloney

What most of you and above all, Fareed, misses is that the American governement is so inefficient and corrupt (see Jack Abramoff on 60 minutes tonight?) that I don't trust them to run anything. Perhaps the Taiwanese are a more group think culture?

My wife is a physician at a Children's Hospital. It took 10 years of training and about $300K of loans (and my cash) to get where she is. At the end of those 10 years, she had nothing, no savings, no retirement, no car, at 34 years old. She makes about $170K now. If I worked as many hours as she did, I'd make over $120K as a cop (no debt, no college) She works more than 60 hours every week (sometimes I lose track at 80). The hours she put in for the training (came out to less than $5 an hour for residency), the payback on the loan, the forgoing of all assets until now....It would have been much better to take her 130+ IQ to politics, engineering, business or better to sit on an Obamacare committee making a GS-15 salary with benefits and 40-50 hours per week on her way to being an SES.

Thanks Fareed, but I remember you saying going into Iraq was a good thing in 2003. In 2006 I was in Iraq, so I'll ignore you on this. Your track record isn't so good. The only person who spoke the truth about Iraq was Joe Biden. Fareed and W apparently don't read the history of the British and French Empires.

Oh, and maybe we should take into account that no other country spends $660 billion on defense per year. China, second to us in military spending, only spends $60 billion ber year. We spend 10 times that.

If you want to fix health care spending, fix end of life care...

July 8, 2012 at 8:52 pm | Reply