Fareed is taking your questions
April 2nd, 2012

Fareed is taking your questions

Do you have a burning question about what's going on in the world? From the U.S. presidential race to unrest in Syria; from China's rise to diplomacy with Iran, events are rocking our planet. Submit your questions in the comment thread below.

Post by:
Topics: From Fareed • Q&A

1. Nathan

I am very happy that you have recently given a great deal of attention to drug and prison policy. To me it seems obvious that the status quo is barely tolerable and yet there is bipartisan support for keeping things the way they are. Why is the US government (and the states) unable to find even marginally better solutions to fix our broken drug and prison policies? I think a great segment on your show could be done about how other countries compare in their drug and prison policies. Thank you for taking the time to answer questions.

April 9, 2012 at 2:59 am | Reply
  2. Andrew Lowe

Mr. Zakaria,

Hello, I have a question about TPAW V 2.0. You went in-depth with a brief history of China and India—giving us specific plot points in helping us understand better, where and why these countries have a place in our global future. Will there be any kind of follow-up pertaining to Russia and Brasil?

I really like the gamut of topics you cover in the book and how you touch on so many issues that have affected and will affect us in the coming decades. I am very interested in learning—specifically—about Brasil's society and the building blocks of their history; how this will determine their key role and influence on others in the world.

If nothing on this topic is planned, are there books, articles, and/or any authors who have written about it that you could recommend? Thanks.

Keep up the great work. The knowledge I have accrued over these years, really has been invaluable.

Much obliged,
    Andrew

April 9, 2012 at 10:15 am | Reply
  3. Alex

Hey Fareed. We have been hearing about the privatization of Social Security from the GOP candidates like Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum, though they have been mum on the topic as of late. They seem to believe that remodeling our current pension system to resemble something like Chile's mandatory individual account program would be beneficial to Americans in the long run and would halt Social Security's slow march towards bankruptcy. Do you think that there is anything from the famous Chilean pension system that our government can learn from?

April 9, 2012 at 11:06 am | Reply
  4. Chuxa A

HI Fareed,

Congrats on the Peabody award, you deserve it. My question has to do with the issue around the selection of a succesor to the current World Bank president. I'd like to hear your take on this, especially on choosing "merit-based' successor and the politics surrounding whether it is in Americas (and the worlds) best interest to maintain the status quo. Thanks.

April 10, 2012 at 5:06 am | Reply
  5. Arun

Hi Fareed,

I am a 1st year MBA at a top 20 business school, the McCombs School of Business, University of Texas-Austin. We are planning a conference on understanding India called Engaging India. The premise is the followiing:

- As an aspiring business leader, succeeding in a global environment is critical
    - No discussion on globality is complete without understanding India
    - To understand India you need to understand the critical themes of Political Structure, Business Dynamics, and
    Cultural Environment

We will have one speaker for each theme and make it an interactive session with MBAs, Public Policy, and Law students from the university. We would love to have you share your knowledge and perspectives at the event and would be honored if you could join us. The event is being planned for the spring of 2013.

Please let me know if you would be able to attend the event. Hoping to hear from you.

Regards,

Arun

April 20, 2012 at 1:21 pm | Reply
  6. boccherini

Did any of this get an answer?

April 21, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Reply
  7. Omar Dipp

Mexico´s War on a drugs working ?
    Fareed:
    As a Mexicali, Baja resident for all my life, i must desagree on your latest tv program on 4/22 stating that the mexican war on drug could be working. It may be working for the US, but not for Mexico. What we are seeing down here is a medusa complex. When you chop off the head of a cartel, 4 heads pop out. When drug cartels cant make money with the drug buisness, the move to extorsion, bank robberies and other crimes. Do we have to do the US´s dirty job ? We are supplying a demand, but who is making the sacrifice ? We see huge drug busts in Mexico, when will see one in the US ? Where is the retailer making the big bucks ?
    Mexico may be wining the war against the drug cartels, but its losing the war on crime and drug adiction. Is it worth it ?
    The problems were having along the border, used to happen along the Florida coast in the 80's. Who´s next ? Canada, the west coast ?

Omar Dipp

April 22, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  8. Buddy Mix

Check on-line, U.S. State Department. Mexico spends 4 Billion dollars every year on U.S. goods. No on ever mentions this.
    Is there a reason? Would it heop in the illegal immigration policies? Just wonder your opion on this.
    Thanks,
    Buddy Mix dot com.

June 17, 2012 at 12:45 am | Reply
  9. Gavin Cooke

As a person that is exposed to all news outlets I must say you are very unusual in this field. I can detect no bent towards a political party or agenda. I cannot easily predict what youropinion might be in advance like is so easily done with most political commentators. You seem to shy away from no subject and are even willing to say people that you differ from RADICALLY are correct when they occasionally are. This may sound condescending but I greatly admire you. What I would really like to see you do is examine specific types of proposals that might be "game changers" in certain areas. A few examples:

1. Removing ethanol from gasoline.
    2. Putting unpopular laws on a national ballot like drug laws.
    3. Putting other things on a National Balot like term limits, gay marriage, and other "hot topic" issues congress won't address.

Your opinions are unique and well thought out. You are one of the few that comment on issues who brings a unique perspective along with a dry sense of humor that is not well enough appreciated. I imagine that a conversation with you would never be banal or routine in any way.

Signed,

A Fan!

June 26, 2012 at 1:30 am | Reply
  10. khalid khan kakar

Fareed Zakria
    Global Public Square
    july 9 2015

Dear Sir,
    your program, G.P.S aired June 7,2015 is very much relevant to my case-overzealous america has stretched its legal arms to Swiss head quarter 4000 miles away from its soil,where judicial system in Pakistan has failed to in force its own legal orders of arrests in own domain.
    i am emailing a letter about my thoughts.my thoughts on the subject, hopefully you will appreciate my take on the matter.

truly yours
    khalid khan kakar
    senator(R)

Fareed Zakria,
    Global Public Square,
    CNN Channel U.S.
    Date: 02-07-2015
    Dear Fareed,
    I don't miss your public square program. i am a part of it. i have a copy of your program, aired June 7. 2015. it is not doubt that America has long reach and above all very long arms of justice and many a time crossed red-line, to which, Vladimir Putin has objected that America is spreading jurisdiction to other countries. See RT dated 1-6-2015. But unfortunately the jurisdiction of the courts in Pakistan are shrinking day by day in its own country particularly, in Balochistan Province.
    very long arms of American Justice has reached 4000, miles away to the Swiss head quarter and made arrests over their. it is said that these detainees were involved in corruption. Although the deal and weal may have been struck outside the domain of U.S.
    it is a great surprise to me that America has imposed its orders of arrest in a separate continent 4 thousand miles away from it legal jurisdiction and according to you Mr. Fareed, Vladimir Putin, President of Russian Federation has pointed out to this over steps. it response to your question Tellipman answered if not the U.s; who else through you i ask Tillipman to load me to this magic wand of justice and lend me for a short period of time, because our justice system has miserably failed in our province Balochistan. for the last four years the judicial system has failed to enforce non-bailable warrants in its own country.
    the accused are residing in Islamabad and the distance between Quetta and Islamabad is less than one thousand miles, where the reach of the American judicial system is more than 4000 miles that is the reason i aspire for the magic wand of justice, which America possesses and other countries are devoid of such mysterious power.
    More than 60 times this aggrieved person has appeared before the court of law and these four accused have never appeared before the courts for a single moment in these 4 years.
    through your Mr. Fareed, I assure Tillipman, this mysterious device will be returned back safe and sound. i need this device to catch these absconders who have run away from law.
    I have filed this complaint in the last week of December 2011, and now middle of 2015 has passed away, the court has not seen the faces of the absconders to this day.
    i have high hopes you will help me in this genuine complaint as you deal with issues in your global square programme. Late king John Luther junior was right when he said"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    i may tell you all the 4 accused / absconders reside in Pakistan and none of them has joined Isil in Iraq of Syria, nor any of them has joined Boko Haram in Africa, but why the case of defamation lies dormant.
    one of the accused Hamid Mir is a columnist in Newspaper (Jang) and anchor of the capital talk, which he conducts weekly and the judiciary of Pakistan is seeing his face and hearing his questions put to the interviewees, but unable to produce him before the court of law.
    Discussing the subjects of Biology and History in their book, the lessons of History. Discussion the subject will and Ariel Durant, have correctly noticed that animals eat one another without qualm, civilized men consume one other by due process of law. My complaint has been eaten without qualm. What a civility?
    As mentioned before none of the accused has joined Jihadi Groups in Iraq and Syria, then why the court-Additional Session Judge Quetta has kept my complaint relating to defamation has been kept in dormant till the arrests of the accused. when my case will be reactivated, I know nothing but do know one of the dormant volcano has suddenly erupted after 40 years peaceful slumber in last month of June, 2015. Lastly wheel of justice should not be blocked and law should move towards right path of justice. i have turned into 80, whether in my life span I will see my case reactivated and non-bailable warrants enforced.
    KHALID KHSN KAKAR