Lumberjack worst job of 2012; computer programmer best
April 12th, 2012

Lumberjack worst job of 2012; computer programmer best

Editor's Note: The following text is from GlobalPost, which provides excellent coverage of world news – importantmoving and just odd.

By David Trifunov, GlobalPost

Obviously, ax throwing and logrolling are not part of the selection criteria.

CareerCast.com suggests lumberjack is the worst job you could have in 2012, while computer programmer ranks at the top.

“The top-rated jobs have few physical demands, minimal stress, a good working environment and a strong hiring outlook,” said Tony Lee, publisher of CareerCast.com's 2012 Jobs Rated Report. “Conversely, lumberjacks and dairy farmers, two of the worst jobs in the nation, work in physically demanding, precarious, low-paying professions with a weak hiring outlook.”

The website ranks occupations based on five areas: environment (physical and emotional), income, outlook, physical demands and stress.

CareerCast used statistics from the Department of Labor, and other sources.

Based on rankings in each category, software engineer climbed to the top. It was followed by actuary, human resources manager, dental hygienist and financial planner.

Read: Rwanda’s economic miracle

Other than lumberjack, CareerCast ranks dairy farmer, enlisted military soldier, oil rig worker and newspaper reporter among the five worst.

According to the researchers, those in the bottom categories earn a $32,000 to $36,000 mid-level income per year.

Those involved in these trades blame the “younger generation.”

“We’re still using paper and wood products all the time, but nowadays, kids would rather play video games instead of working hard and getting their hands dirty,” lumberjack Jake Rosa said, according to the Los Angeles Times.

It’s the same story for newspapers, said Pennsylvania editor David Campbell.

Read: US economy grew 3% in fourth quarter of 2011

“Today's younger generation doesn’t seem to care about the news, and, if they do, it’s more about celebrities and Hollywood and not what's going on in their backyards.”

As for the best, software engineers earn a median income of more than $88,000 with few physical demands in an industry with a bright outlook and little stress.

Lee’s advice? Higher education will play an increasing role in a secure future, he told the Tampa Bay Times.

“While it’s true that some people are happy washing dishes, waiting tables or slicing meat as a career, job seekers who want to compete for the nation's best jobs need to gain a competitive edge by expanding their knowledge and skill set with a college education,” he said.

Post by:
Topics: Jobs

1. urgent

urgent

Fares Raslan MD

خبر عاجل وهام جدا جدا ::::::
    تقوم المخابرات العامة في دمشق بأخذ كميات من الدم الفاسد من المشافي الحكومية الى افرع السجون حيث يتم حقن المعتقل بكمية 5 سم من هذا الدم وعلى اثرها يتوفى وفاة طبيعة /يرجى النشر لجمعيات حقوق الانسان/
    By: شبكة اخبار حمص العدية (عاصمة الثورة السورية)
    reliable sources from my collegues syrian doctors in syria .
    the intelligence services in syria are collecting spoiled blood and injecting forcefully prisioners with 5 ml of it to let them die naturally ...please share to human rights watch and all human organizations around the world ....
    also they are sending 50 truks aday since 3 months ago those trucks going to hizboallah south of lebanon , full of weapons , cash, arms, rockets, and some chemical weapons please take a note this is an eye wotness ....why no body is doing any thing to those thugs , war criminal shiia thugs?

April 12, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Reply
    • Christo

Well the western people ...just dont care. Im from Africa and we have our own damn problems to worry about. We have more murders a day than die in your war. People getting chopped up for body parts or just their shoes.... Life sucks, get to know this. The world is a sick place and its just luck of the draw if you have to live in a war zone, Crime central or some nice place in Sweden.

PS. Best job in the world......Winemaker or perhaps the Braumaster of Duval family brewery

April 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Reply
      • j. von hettlingen

The best job is one that gives satisfaction. Most people hate their jobs, they work just to get by.

April 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Alex

Who cares?

April 12, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Reply
    • roger ulrich

we dont care about you, because you dont care about us.

April 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Reply
    • Me

The problem is not with the westen countries, the problem with russia and china that doesn't let them to attack

April 12, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Reply
    • Zoidberg, MD

So, Saudi-funded propagandist, why do you think we care? Hey, I have an idea, maybe you should ask the Israelis for help.

April 12, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Reply
  2. Anand Yadav

Whaaaaaaaaaat? That's not true. The worst job in the world is PhD student. It's the most temporary but still stressful and yes without prospect. Becuase no matter what you achieve, you will always be pushed.

April 12, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Reply
  3. Doctor

The best job in the world can be made the worst by your boss.

April 12, 2012 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • Alex

+1 on that one.

April 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  4. Akrav

Little stress in being a computer engineer? Hi-tech people work for about 12 hours a day under murderos deadlines. Remember the stories of Steve Jobs pushing his workers to do it in 2 days instead of 20? And then those guys come to pick-up schools, because their proffession makes them incompetent at flirting. Other than with their Iphone that is....

The best Job in the world is an Sports Illustrated photographer. Or for a similar man magazine, if your'e a woman. It's not the most payed, or completely stress free, but it's a creative big world job. Lot's to see, lot's to talk about.

April 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Reply
    • Chris

Wow, that sounds awful! Especially the part about deadlines, and difficulty picking up women. Tell me, how many computer engineers die or are maimed on the job every year?

April 13, 2012 at 10:41 am | Reply
  5. CollegeEngineer

As a 20-yr old college student studying Civil Engineering, this is not true. Pretty sad for someone to say that about "all" younger kids. Sometimes adults just don't see the good in younger people. Always complaining .. I still read the newspaper and love the articles found on MSN just to read what's going on in the world. Yes, many young students don't do that, but I'm sure many do. Can't put us all in the same category – pretty rude. Exactly why younger people don't just "give" you respect. There are SOME adults that don't respect a younger generation.

April 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Reply
    • CollegeEngineer

PS we are the FUTURE

April 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Reply
    • 12' OS Grad

Yeah i completely agree, I'm 22 and grew up logging with my family during the summers but am now about to graduate with a civil engineering degree as well. I don't think its necessarily that young people are afraid to work hard (many of my classmates do work hard), they don't want to work a life threatening job with bad hours for 12 dollars an hour.

April 13, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  6. "Old Guy"

CollegeEngineer,

I'm a 38 year old professional working for far less than I deserve. I find your comments offensive to say the very least. While I'm not ready to put everyone in the same category, there is a significant percentage of the generation behind me that has absolutely no respect for their elders, their world (why throw trash out of your car window?), their parents, or themselves. You may not be among that percentage, but at the same time you need to consider the rest of your peers.

You are sitting there at school with virtually no responsibility other than running Daddy's Platinum AMEX to the limit. Grow up and realize that the real world that you haven't even entered yet will slap you in the face in the next 10 years.

THIS is why we don't respect your generation. You won't have any Social Security benefits either, just like me. Welcome to reality.

April 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Reply
    • "Mid-20s Gal"

"Old Guy,"

I find your response to CollegeEngineer and to the younger generation insulting. Nevermind that you are encouraging very negative stereotypes about the "generation behind" you, but you clearly don't know about our generation at all. Yes, we're not all the same. But there is a significant number in this generation that respect and fight for the "world," as you put it, as well as respect our elders more because most of us had to grow up much faster than we probably would have liked.

No, I didn't rely on my "Daddy's Platinum AMEX." I was too busy working 3 jobs in college while earning a degree. I was too busy fighting for internships and my major-related jobs to even think about using my daddy's AMEX. I was too busy graduating and then fighting some more just so I can make my rent and paying for my own medical bills and my college loans.

Old Guy, I suggest you look at the generation before you a little closer. We understand that respect is earned and not everyone in our generation has earned it. But not everyone in yours has earned it either. We've seen reality. It's not glamorous. We've already been slapped with it. But we are also the ones trying to change it for you and the generations after us. So you're welcome.

April 12, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Reply
  7. "Old Guy"

And PS... the future looks bleak.

April 12, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Reply
    • Mike

Especialy if the world starts to trade oil in another currency, Like other countries are proposing. You will see the $ Drop to 1/4 of it's worth.

April 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm | Reply
    • MoIOWA

Old guy

you seem to very self righteous when you have no idea what the typical college student goes through these days. You are the same person that talks about the "real world" like you got it all figured out...I tell you what buddy you are ONE LAYOFF or ONE CUTBACK from being a statistic. Whoever employed you could cut your job tomorrow; remember that. Be grateful you have an income.

I made my own way; I worked full time at a meat packing plant and went to school full time while paying for my schooling and my books. I would work from 10p-6a school from 7am-3p homework from 3-5p and slept from 6-9p. I lived in public housing and ate top ramen and I did that for 4 years and now I am fighting for a job while you stomp in here complaining about making far less then you deserve and how reality is gonna slap us in the face. You got some stones man that is all I will say.

People like me and college engineer are what college looks like for the VAST majority so shut your mouth since you have no clue you self righteous ass. I would never want to learn from a person who goes on the internet and "gets off" telling us "college kids" how "life is"...spare me man.

April 12, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Reply
  8. Mike

Rig worker makes only $30,000 a year!? I don't think so. Try $70K To $100K for even a staringt roughneck. By the way, I'm a Data Aqyuisition feild engineer on the most well known drilling project in Saudi arabia. And I'm at work right now typing this. Oh yeah, I only work six months out of the year and make 6 figures. They need to recheck their figures a little.

April 12, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  9. CollegeEngineer

"Daddy's Platinum AMEX"??

VERY professional comment. I actually pay for my own school through loans and have a job while a full time student. SUPER excited to pay those off just as soon as I can't find a job (which you do–and don't seem aren't grateful for). Those comments are offensive but you have a true right to free speech. And as a professional adult, YOUR comments do not seem very insightful. As a young student, I would've liked to look up to you and learn how to be a "professional" that you say to be, out of RESPECT, because you have way more experience in a workforce and life in general.

Also, I'm slightly confused why you are telling me to grow up. I have quite a bit responsibility. I buy things with my own money that "I" have earned, do chores at home, pay my own taxes, bought my own car/fees/insurance, volunteer my time, and don't party like movie college students. You shouldn't stereotype the fact that I use my parents money - as seen in "Movies" about teenagers. My parents don't treat me like a princess like the way you are stereotyping it.

I don't consider myself in the same percentage as my peers, but by the fact you say "Daddy's Platinum AMEX" you are trying to put me there. If I take the time to respect older, wiser adults, you should take the time to respect young people who try to set examples for their "peers". There are still "good" kids out there.

Quit looking at the kids that drive BMW's their parents gave them. Sometimes the one you are looking for drives a rusted out piece of crap with broken muffler and is embarrassed they can't keep up to the kids with free money. Those are the kids honest, hard-working adults.

April 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Reply
  10. bill

By the sounds of these people worldwide it is best to live in a english speaking country no matter what job you have, and everybody but the whites anglos are exploting and murdering each other, USA #1.

April 12, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Reply
  11. Lumberjack

I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
    I sleep all night and I work all day.
    I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
    Suspendies, and a bra.
    I wish I'd been a girlie,
    Just like my dear Papa.

April 12, 2012 at 6:02 pm | Reply
    • ken

nudge-nudge say no more. say no more :)

April 13, 2012 at 1:57 am | Reply
    • Patrick

“Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. Know what I mean?”

April 13, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Reply
  12. Darketernal

Seriously people who work in the sewer have it worse. Time to become a sewer programmer.

April 12, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Reply
  13. Berns

In the end it takes all these types to make the world go round,from the people who make 5 cents to 5 million, we all disagree because ...well... we are different and different is ok, if these arguments were over music it would still have the same result different views and opinions, just because we are all equal doesn't mean we are the same.... I respect all your views. But it doesn't make any of us right or wrong...they're just our views of the situations at hand...Cheers!

April 12, 2012 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  14. Plopez

Programming has little stress? I spent over 15 years programming and the job was nothing but stress. Creating and testing complex applications with numerous last minute changes and unrealistic schedules was a normal part of the job. I worked for 4 companies and at each job it was the same. After too many years of 50+ hour work weeks, bad diet, and poor exercise and life balance I had to quit. My blood pressure was through the roof and my weight was up. If I hadn't quit I would be dead. There's nothing harder on the body than "riding a desk". It killed a friend of mine, also in IT, and it almost killed me. I quit and I am now healthier and happier.

April 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Reply
  15. Geist

Little stress for programming... BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA! That's why I'm getting some Scuba Certifications... because at 20 meters down and 3 atmospheres pressure its still less than up there! Pay is good though, I'll give it that. Just too much life out of you to enjoy it if you aren't careful.

April 13, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Reply
  16. Paid Social Media Jobs Online

That is really interesting, You're an excessively skilled blogger. I have joined your rss feed and sit up for in quest of more of your excellent post. Additionally, I've shared your web site in my social networks

June 5, 2012 at 1:38 am | Reply
  17. new parka coats

http://www.futureidealhomesltd.com/sale/canada-goose-in-london.html canada goose in london
    new parka coats http://www.celticflooringwales.co.uk/outlet/new-parka-coats.html

September 22, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Reply