June 29th, 2012

Morsi's 'fighting personality' and Egypt's future

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS" Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET.

On "Fareed Zakaria GPS" this week: How to shift Moscow from being part of the problem to part of the solution in Syria; a smart discussion on Obamacare and the economy, with Katrina vanden Heuvel, Jeff Sachs and more; and India's huge project to fingerprint 1.2 billion people.

Also: What's next in Egypt? Tarek Masoud, Assistant Professor of Public Policy at the Harvard Kennedy School and Steven Cook, Senior Fellow for Middle Eastern Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations, weigh in on how Egypt's president-elect Mohamed Morsi will jostle for power with the military.

Watch more in the video above and from this excerpt from the show:

Post by:
Topics: Egypt • GPS Show

1. Patrick-2

Let's just hope that Mohammad Morsi delivers on some of his promises and not cave in to the military Elitists over there. Maybe the right-wing thugs in Washington may lose control of things in Cairo as one may hope.

June 29, 2012 at 7:23 pm | Reply
    • Robinho70

Morsi is a monster with hatred for all things non muslim. As one of his first orders of business he wants the release of the blind sheik who masterminded the first World Trade Center bombing. The US must withdraw all support for Egypt as long as he is in power.

July 2, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Reply
  2. j. von hettlingen

Morsi is of a humble background and knows the grievances of ordinary Egyptians, who after years of Mubarakism are seeing an unpresumptuous figure who seems to have integrity. There's a chance that the U.S. would get along with him.

June 30, 2012 at 3:40 am | Reply
    • Marine5484

Not if Morsi doesn't play ball with the right-wing thugs in Washington, j.von hettlingen! Those bureaucrats still want to dictate their orders to Cairo as they do everywhere else! If Morsi fails somehow to carry out Washington's orders, the C.I.A. will depose him and replace him with another one of their stooges. Remember what happened in Chile back in 1973?

June 30, 2012 at 10:16 am | Reply
      • OJ

Egypt is Chile and it is not longer 1973. Although it is not wise, but I suspect he will cancel the pease agreement soon after his economy recovers and cleanup the heads of the army.

July 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
      • Marine5484

I say the dardnest things dont I?
        One day I am happy, the next I am sad.
        Other days, I take my pills and I can appear normal.

July 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm |
  3. Marine5484

Egypt is going to be a test case. A declared Islamist has been elected president and any parliament in the foreseeable future is likely to have an Islamist majority.We must be wary of cosmetic gestures and false accommodation. Mohammed Morsi's promise of having a non-Islamist prime minister, with a Christian and a woman as vice-presidents, whilst welcome, says nothing about any Islamist system which may yet be put in place. It is good that he has had an early meeting with Christian leaders but it remains to be seen whether Muslims and Christians will continue to be regarded as equal citizens.

June 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Reply
    • OJ

He said that he will appoint a Christian in the cabinet and a woman as a VP. He did not say he will appoint a Christian VP, or a Christian woman as VP. You are free to view this as you wish, but I don’t see it as appeasement to the west. I think he is looking after his own interest. Mubarak rules for 40 years with blessing from the west, and he never gave a Christian and important role. Even Yousef was not that important and was under surveillance 24/7. I think the man wants to please everyone in his country. He certainly said many things that that does not appeal to the west. My thinking he will succeed given he has a good start. The likelihood the US will be able to influence anything in the world now has diminished dramatically due to the Iraq and Afghanistan war. So, If I was him, I would ignore the US and Israel, and focus on internal issues, and rebuilding the economy, cleanup corruption, and the army with loyal troops instead of Mubarak loyal corrupt sergeants.

July 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Reply
    • Marine5484

Speaking of cosmetics, do you know that I tried Ponds cream on my face and my skin feels like a baby's bottom.

July 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Reply
    • JasonB

Iran was the test case, but most of you were either not born to remember it, or you turn a blind eye. Morsi's first act, thinking they can pull the same stunt on the U.S. that Libya did on Scotland? Even a blind man should be able to see where this is headed, but not those who are asleep.

July 3, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Reply
  4. Marine5484

Egypt has a long history of Islamic scholars seeking to understand Sharia in terms of contemporary conditions and a concern for the common good. Muhammad Abduh (d.1905), the Grand Mufti, who is venerated by both the Salafis and the Muslim Brotherhood, wanted a "pure" Islam as well as one which was compatible with reason and the conditions of the modern world. He wanted to do away with traditional interpretations of Sharia and favoured a radical reconstruction of Islamic law.

June 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Reply
  5. Mabar

Morsi starts by siding with a convicted islámico fanátic.not very hopeful.......

June 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm | Reply
  6. 100 % ETHIO

Morsi was an asylum seeker, who lived and studied Engineering in U.S.

At least, his U.S. Mentality might bring peace in his homeland and U.S.

July 1, 2012 at 4:31 am | Reply
    • OJ

He only did his Phd here, the rest of his eduction was outside the US.

July 1, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Reply
    • Christy9

I believe he spent enough time in the US to know what was right and wrong with our government. Hopefully we left him with a positive outlook. He cannot change things in Egypt over night, but I am optomistic that when changes start coming they will be for the better. Give him time!

July 1, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Reply
    • JasonB

So did Yamamoto, how did that relationship turn out?

July 3, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Reply
  7. John Smith

FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

July 1, 2012 at 9:16 am | Reply
    • OJ

Halal meat is like Kosher meat. I don't see it as of occupying anyone ones land. It is just food:)

July 2, 2012 at 4:59 am | Reply
      • OJ

Wow, this is scary stuff. Thanks for posting.
        Islam is very dangerous. Here is a quote about islam's invasion techniques:
        It is important to understand that in some countries, with well under 100% Muslim populations, such as France, the minority Muslim populations live in ghettos, within which they are 100% Muslim, and within which they live by Sharia Law. The national police do not even enter these ghettos. There are no national courts, nor schools, nor non-Muslim religious facilities. In such situations, Muslims do not integrate into the community at large. The children attend madrasses. They learn only the Koran. To even associate with an infidel is a crime punishable by death. Therefore, in some areas of certain nations, Muslim imams and extremists exercise more power than the national average would indicate.

July 2, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  8. Patrick-2

Mind you, I have no idea what I am saying.
    I am an islamist and I hate everyone who is not muslims.
    I hate some muslims though – you know the kind of muslim who wants to make friends with Christians, Jews, Hindus...

July 1, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Reply
    • Patrick-2

I was kind of wondering just when you were going to get around to post something like the above, Phunnie boy. This I've been expecting for quite a while.

July 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm | Reply
      • Patrick-2

Actually, Phunnie Boy is another one of the names I use here. Wow, man, this is so cool I can actually talk to myself.
        hahahahaha....

July 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
  9. Marine5484

A Palestinian state that met it's reason for existence involves the annihilation of the Jewish State. After which it would immediately both self destruct and be divided up – bloodily – amongst it's neighbors. They fed this monster and know the menace of the Beast. The Palestinians are a fiction without any History or even name until the camps in 1964. They will vanish one way or another if not by deed then by ending UN and International funding, or if not perhaps by their Victory. They have no reason to exist if that unlikely event occurred.

July 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Reply
    • OJ

I am thinking both people can live side by side without having to kill each other. There will alway be hard feelings etc.. but I think it is possible for both live in peace. Both the Palestinian and Jewiesh are nations without a true state. Just the Jewish made one 1948, the Palestinian. That fact they don't have one it does not mean it should never exist. Americans existed as a nation before the union came to be.

July 2, 2012 at 4:47 am | Reply
      • Marine5484

Come on!
        I am muslim and I need war, main, hurt, lie, deceive, abuse, kill...

July 2, 2012 at 10:41 am |
  10. Don

With the election of Mohamed Morsi as president of Egypt, beware the nose of the camel into our political tent. Morsi represents the camel's nose into the tent of U.S.-Egyptian relations and politics. He is U.S. educated as an engineer.

The only way I would trust dealings with Morsi would be if he renounces, denounces and bounces allegiance to the so-called Prophet Muhammad and the teachings of Muhammad in the Koran. If you ask why, you haven't yet read the summary offered in Koranlore at http://www.biblelore.com.

Read Chapter 9 "The Islamic Principle of Deception" wherein the prophet Muhammad laid out his doctrine of deception:

(Quoting from Chapter 9...)
    For unbelievers – infidels – Muhammad had a different principle. Muslims were not bound to be truthful with unbelievers in Islam. "War is deceit." (cf. p. 79, "The Politically Incorrect Guide to Islam (and the Crusades)," Robert Spencer, Regnery Publishing Co.) Muhammad taught that lying was permissible in war (see p. 243, op. cit, Spencer).
    Lying in wartime led to two principles: the allowance of political assassination to honor the Prophet and Islam, and the allowance for the practice of deception in wartime. ( p.80, op. cit, Spencer).
    Spencer states that the doctrine of taqiyya or concealment was developed by Shi'ite Muslims when they were persecuted by Sunnis. Shi'ites could lie about aspects of their beliefs that were offensive to Sunnis.
    Closely related to doctrine of taqiyya is the doctrine of kitman (mental reservation) which is telling the truth, but not the whole truth with the express intention of misleading one's adversary.
    Muhammad demonstrated another trait closely allied to his principle of lying in wartime: insincerity. The Treaty of Hudaybiyya is an example of Muhammad's lack of sincerity in making a truce with the Quraysh in 628 A.D....
    Read more of Chapter 9 at biblelore.com.

July 1, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Reply
    • OJ

It appears the non-muslims broke the treaty, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Hudaybiyyah

July 2, 2012 at 4:55 am | Reply
      • OJ

Sorry I lie.
        I am going to take night school so that I can elevate my comprehension skills.

July 2, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  11. Marine5484

I see that I'm getting mocked by some senseless Tea Partier here again. I guess that I'll stop posting here for a while. Gee whiz!

July 2, 2012 at 8:53 am | Reply
    • Marine5484

I will say anything I want because the Qur'an allows me.

July 2, 2012 at 10:45 am | Reply
  12. OJ

I lie, cheat, deceive, kill, abuse in the name of Allah the magnificent and Moorhamed the profiteer.

July 2, 2012 at 10:43 am | Reply
  13. OJ

I lie, I am always going to be here to destabalize anyone who listens to the crap I write.

July 2, 2012 at 10:44 am | Reply
  14. so now obama is inviting the muslim brotherhood to meetings in the white house...

interesting....