August 10th, 2012

A statement from Fareed

Media reporters have pointed out that paragraphs in my Time column on gun control, which was also a topic of conversation on this blog, bear close similarities to paragraphs in Jill Lepore's essay in the April 23rd issue of The New Yorker. They are right. I made a terrible mistake. It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault. I apologize unreservedly to her, to my editors at Time and CNN, and to my readers and viewers everywhere.

Topics: Uncategorized

1. Neil Pinto

I loved Fareed Zakaria's show – its the only good thing on TV besides John Stewart and Colbert. Come back soon Fareed, we miss you !! Great show.

August 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Reply
  2. RM

An excerpt from Christine Haughney's article from NY Times:

"The mistake, he said, occurred when he confused the notes he had taken about Ms. Lepore’s article — he said he often writes his research in longhand — with notes taken from “Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms in America,” by Adam Winkler (W.W. Norton, 2011), a copy of which was on his desk at his CNN office."

It is not clear as to who took the notes from the book though the implication is that his research assistant took the notes from the book.

If his assistant is referring to the book and taking notes, why it is necessary to take notes from Ms. Lepore's article rather than just reading it? It would have been adequate to read her article and make sure that his assistant's notes are largely consistent with her article as a double check of facts and history.

On the other hand, why not simply attribute Ms. Lepore's article? Why is the reluctance? It would have avoided all the troubles.

August 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Reply
  3. Kathryn

I really miss my podcast and Sunday TV progam of Fareed Zakaria GPS. It is one of the few intelligent programs on TV. I put it up there next to the BBC and Bill Moyers, It is hard to get intelligent international information and commentary that is not just a repeat of the Sunday talking heads. l look froward to his return soon.
    KD

August 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  4. Jerome Martin

tThe extraordinary number of posts coupled with the fact that I'm a terribly slow reader, makes it quite possible that I missed it somewhere, but I can't recall seeing anyone questioning what was in it for Zakaria to withhold accrediting Lepore for her article. Scholars have always taken pride in the number of quotations they could show in a given article. I mean, that's why footnotes were born! Zakaria is, first and foremost, a scholar, and he knows the value of backing what he says by providing his sources. Obviously it would have been to his advantage to give credit to his source in this instance, so why should he choose to hide it? It just doesn't make sense. Unless it was simply an oversight, .which is what it most certainly was. That's a sign of sloppy editing. But it is not the high moral crime that so many of the post-writers seem to want to make of it, and it surely doesn't prove that FZ was "trying to get away with something." Most of those who claim that FZ acted dastardly had it in for him before this issue arose, and when the 'plagiarism' story broke, they must have rubbed their hands with glee as the sat down to use a post with which to whip Zakaria. That's what's called a whipping-post.

August 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm | Reply
    • RM

It is true that there is no advantage for Fareed to not to attribute the LePore's article when using history information with style and format from it. Yet, it happened. This is very much unnecessary and is an unforced error. Only somewhat plausible explanation is that the notes taken from LePore's article were confused as that taken from the Winkler's book directly. After all both writers were supposedly getting the information from the book and summarize the history. Still, the puzzling aspect is that in the long hand notes from LePore's article, why the reference or attribution not included in the notes itself to start with. On the other hand, If the book was referred and notes were taken from the book, why it is necessary to take notes from Lepore's paragraph except perhaps to read it for double checking? This would clearly prevent potential problems. So it's not quiet making rational sense. It is true that for most part this paragraph involves providing a summary of history from the book and there are no opinions or highly creative work were involved. Therefore, it may be considered as not a severe violation. Anyhow, we cannot blame all critics as some of them take this seriously as tis is considered as a "cardinal sin" for a writer. It's good that CNN & TIME are satisfied that there are no pattern of these kinds of prblems and this is unintentional.

August 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  5. Poetry

It's really a cool and useful piece of information. I am satisfied that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

August 23, 2012 at 5:27 am | Reply
  6. Amit-Atlanta-USA

TO ALL MY FELLOW NON-MUSLIM INDIAN FANS OF FAREED ZAKARIA.

Check this out from Eric Tager in the Community Magazine 11-19-2008

"Mere hours into the horrific attacks in Mumbai, CNN/Newsweek bloviator Fareed Zakaria inaugurated the typical “root causes” debate by “explaining” away the terrorists’ motivation:

Rest of my comments are being censored.

August 23, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  7. Amit-Atlanta-USA

Will Yale Fire Fareed Zakaria?Michael Rubin | Commentary Magazine Michael Rubin

08.12.2012 – 2:40 PM

"There is now little question that Fareed Zakaria is guilty of plagiarism. He has admitted copying a portion of a New Yorker essay and apologized. Time, where Zakaria works as a columnist, has suspended Zakaria for a month, and CNN—owned by the same parent company—has suspended him pending an investigation. This represents a mere slap on the wrist for someone whose standard speaking fee is $75,000.

As Yale University lecturer Jim Sleeper notes, however, Zakaria has a perch not only at CNN and Time, but also at Yale University, where he sits on the Yale Corporation, the University’s governing board and policy-making body. There is no greater academic sin than plagiarism. Students can be expelled for plagiarizing papers, and professors can be fired. To let Zakaria off the hook on his own recognizance would be to eviscerate the principle of academic integrity for which Yale says it stands.

Whether Yale President Richard Levin will do the right thing, however, is another issue. While Levin has distinguished himself as a master fundraiser, he has also shown a disturbing willingness to undercut free speech (ironically, with Zakaria’s acquiescence), compromise academic integrity to foreign interests, and embrace fame over principle. Seldom is an issue as cut-and-dry as Zakaria’s plagiarism. Unless Yale seeks to demonstrate that cheating is acceptable and that there is no principle to which it will not turn a blind eye, then it really has no choice:

It is time to give Zakaria the boot.

August 23, 2012 at 11:06 pm | Reply
  8. Roxanne Nadolsky

Glad you are back on CNN on Sundays. You start my day with an eye on truth. Thank you.

August 28, 2012 at 11:14 am | Reply
  9. free vps

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to give something again and help others like you helped me.

September 4, 2012 at 4:29 am | Reply
  10. icon design

You are right, in it something is. I thank for the information, can, I too can help you something?

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

September 14, 2012 at 1:29 am | Reply
  11. icons package

I think, that you are not right. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will discuss.

P.S. Please review icons

September 17, 2012 at 6:25 am | Reply
  12. icon archive

I think, that you are mistaken. I can defend the position. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

P.S. Pleaes review

Hardware Icon Set Classic ... from Ikonod

September 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Reply
  13. icon design

Not logically

P.S. Please review

Sick-list Icon from health-care-icons

September 18, 2012 at 12:18 am | Reply
  14. icon archive

I think, that you commit an error.

P.S. Please review Standard Stadt Icons from icongraffiti43

September 18, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  15. Brandon

One of the only sensible journalist in the American news media.

December 8, 2012 at 3:30 pm | Reply
  16. homecleaners|domestic cleaners|house cleaning services|carpet cleaning|liverpool

Hey There. I discovered your weblog using msn. That is a really well written article. I'll be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn more of your helpful information. Thanks for the post. I will definitely return.

May 6, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Reply