August 24th, 2012

On GPS Sunday: Fareed speaks with Colin Powell and Pulitzer winner Robert Caro

On Fareed Zakaria GPS on Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET, Fareed speaks with former U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell about what to do in Syria, how to tackle Iran and its nuclear program, and the state of politics in the United States – is partisanship in Washington really as bad as its ever been?

Also on the show is two-time Pulitzer Prize winning author Robert Caro, who has spent more than three decades researching, thinking about, and writing on the life of President Lyndon Baines Johnson as part of his epic series of books on the 36th U.S. president. A web extra with Caro discussing the Civil Rights Act is available here.

And Fareed will also be looking at the underlying dynamics shaping the presidential election. Is it all about the economy, or are there other major factors that will decide the next American president?

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Scott

Why do you keep having Caro on over and over so that he can make LBJ look like Lincoln? Caro leaves out that LBJ kept us in Vietnam, and ruined the country economically when he tried to finance the Vietnam War and the Great Society at the same time. Johnson was a brutal politician, not a lovable Southern uncle.

August 26, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Reply
  2. Komal. Saraf

Very

August 26, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Reply
  3. Komal. Saraf

Very happy to see Faree Zakeria on CNN today. He was excellent as always inhis commentory and interview. My friend had to cancelled all her appointment at 1Pm. Komal saraf

August 26, 2012 at 2:49 pm | Reply
  4. Gai

I had set my DVR to record Fareed the last couple of weeks and couldn't figure out why he wasn't on until I did a little research. Yippee, he's back but I'm still hunting for that human rights report card on America by China.

August 26, 2012 at 5:22 pm | Reply
  5. Bill

I am so happy that Fareed is back!!! Thank you CNN for doing the right thing. Now we are again blessed with having Fareed's insightful analysis of world affairs to watch each week. Fareed's work is a great contributio both to journalism and public education.

August 26, 2012 at 6:59 pm | Reply
    • Marcelle Loren

Fareed is an incomparable intermediary of worldly analysis.

August 29, 2012 at 7:31 am | Reply
  6. jkd33

Except Fareed in CNN, everybody else are reporters. The kind of intellectualism Fareed brings, the depth of international exposure is beyond compare with anybody in US Media. The articulation of complex issues are excellent. I am glad, he is back.

August 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  7. GOP Word Association

WORD = GOP Association
    Old People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Sick People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Poor People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Female People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Non-white People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Non-christian People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Unemployed People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Gay People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Glob of cells in a womb = Something we PRETEND to care about just to get votes.

August 27, 2012 at 9:50 am | Reply
  8. Marcelle Loren

You, Fareed, are an incomparable intermediary of worldly analysis.

August 29, 2012 at 6:53 am | Reply
  9. Mary Kenny

Two things:

Can I get a text of Colin Powell's interview?

For all fans of LBJ ... Just saw a brilliant play in Ashland Or called "All The Way" not sure if there are plans to travel nationwide, but if so, don't miss it. It's said that in his first year as President, Johnson signed The Civil Rights Bill, The War on Poverty, The Right To Vote Act and Medicare. It 's thought that most of this wouldn't have been passed without the passing of JFK and a sympathic bi-partisan vote. Pretty amazing!

August 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  10. Midgick

Dear Sir,

Have you read the NY times article on how Romney, through bane, purchase HCA?? If not I suggest you research this. It will show you a clear picture of how Gov. Romney intended to run Mass. he alt care system through Bane and HCA who as you know has been caught violating the law many times. In his backing of purchasing HCA, He and his friends(the Frists) made billions of dollars. Check it out if you don't believe me. Here's the link http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/15/business/hca-giant-hospital-chain-creates-a-windfall-for-private-equity.html?partner=rss&emc=rss. Do you have the stones to do some real reporting/I hope so.

August 29, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Reply
  11. Chelsea

You don't know what you've got, till it's gone. Glad to have the show back, it's one of the highlights of my week. I can't wait to have the audio podcast reinstated (PLEASE!). Please keep up this stimulating program. I love Fareed!

August 30, 2012 at 11:32 pm | Reply
  12. Cyndia

Welcome back Fareed, you were missed. I was so happy to see your GPS show back on the air. You are my favorite journalist! You manage to inform your viewers in the most unbiased style I've ever seen. You also cover topics that are relevant to our times and I always feel I learned something new after your show. Thank you Fareed and CNN for bringing the BEST journalist back to viewers.

September 13, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Reply