August 30th, 2012

The Republican platform on Latin America

By Shannon O’Neil, CFR

Shannon K. O’Neil is senior fellow for Latin America Studies at the Council on Foreign Relations. This entry of Latin America’s Moment originally appeared here. The views expressed are solely those of the author.

With the Republican Convention underway, the Republican Party platform, in its entirety, has finally found its way onto the internet. The 50-plus page document touches briefly on all of the hottest election year topics, addressing everything from traditional marriage to Medicare to foreign policy. In regards to Latin America, the Republican platform focuses almost exclusively on the two states toward which the GOP has the greatest antipathy: Venezuela and Cuba.

On Cuba, the language harks back to the past, describing the regime as mummified and anti-democratic, and strongly declaring Republican support for Cuban opposition groups. Although the tone is decisively anti-Castro, the platform is less strict than in the past. Quite noticeably, there are no calls for a roll-back of the Obama administration reforms that loosened remittance restrictions and expanded family travel, perhaps because of their popularity with Cuban-Americans.

For Venezuela, the GOP’s concerns extend beyond President Hugo Chavez’s non-democratic practices. The real threat, as they see it, is the transformation of the country into an “Iranian outpost” in the Western Hemisphere. While the platform explicitly accuses Venezuela of offering safe haven to thousands of Middle Eastern terrorists, it stops short of suggesting what a GOP president would do about this threat.

On Latin America’s two biggest economies – Brazil and Mexico – there is close to nothing. Apart from saluting Mexico’s cooperation in the drug war, the more important mention is on energy. The GOP highlights the abundant resources of Mexico, Canada, and the United States and presents a long term vision of North American energy independence. While a good idea, making this a reality depends much more on Mexico’s next president, Enrique Peña Nieto (and his willingness and ability to change the Mexican constitution), than on the next U.S. president.

Another issue outlined in the platform that affects Latin America is immigration, and here the GOP takes a tough stance. The platform declares that illegal immigrants “pose grave risks to the safety and sovereignty of the United States,” and unequivocally opposes any programs that might allow undocumented immigrants a path toward citizenship or that would grant in-state tuition to undocumented college students (adding that it would go even further and deny federal funding from schools offering such rates). The posturing stands in stark contrast to Obama’s recent directive and the general Democratic Party position, which provides a means for undocumented youths to stay and gain legal work permits.

The GOP platform also calls for securing the rule of law along the border and completing a (double layer) border fence. At least in this first objective, the Republican Party is in line with the Obama administration’s actions over the last four years, which increased the border patrol from 14,900 in 2007 to 21,400 in 2011.

Overall, the Republican Party generally seems to see the region (when it considers it at all) as a threat rather than an opportunity. The question remains whether this matters to the descendants of Latin Americans, which make up 16 percent of the U.S. population and may play a decisive role in the November 6 election (especially in swing states such as Colorado, Florida, and Ohio). With little to entice Latinos in regards to immigration or foreign policy, it will remain to be seen whether the GOP can attract their votes based on U.S. domestic concerns alone.

Post by:
Topics: Latin America

1. GOP Word Association

WORD = GOP Association
    Old People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Sick People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Poor People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Female People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Non-white People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Non-christian People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Unemployed People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Gay People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Glob of cells in a womb = Something we PRETEND to care about just to get votes.
    Gun Control = Something ELSE we PRETEND to care about to get dumb redneck votes.

August 30, 2012 at 3:06 pm | Reply
  2. Here It Is

"Tax cuts for the rich to create a platform on Latin America!!!!" Hahahahahahahahah

August 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  3. Killer O'Bama

How much more damage can the Rupublicans do to Latin America than I'm currently doing? Not a great deal, I'm proud to say. I'm already applying the politics of hunger to Cuba as that has been going for the last 50 years or so!

August 30, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • Henry

The correct spelling is Republican fool.
      Are you aware that Obama is a Democrat?
      You are a ignorant rambling fool!
      Your other names are:
      JosephMcCarthy/Quigley/LyndsieGraham/krm1007©™/JoeCollins/J.FosterDulles/Marine5484/OldManClark/Willie12345/KillerO'Bama

September 1, 2012 at 9:07 am | Reply
      • Patrick

Who are you to call President Obama an ignorant rambling fool? He is our President and he hates Muslims as bad as you do! He slaughters them day after day with those drones of ours. He was the one who condoned the wanton murder of Ossama bin Laden or whoever it was who was impersonating him on May 2 of last year!!!!!

September 1, 2012 at 9:53 am |
      • Henry

Sorry Patrick, I was just kidding here. No offence.

September 1, 2012 at 9:55 am |
      • Joseph McCarthy/Quigley/LyndsieGraham/krm1007©™/Joe Collins/J. Foster Dulles/Marine5484/OldManClark/Willie12345/KillerO'Bama/Patrick-2

I am the same guy. I am a useless piece of camel dung who works at the moron stage. I post anti-American, anti GB, anti-Semite, anti-India, anti-modern anything because I am a good Moslem from Pakistan. I have stolen Patrick’s moniker because I am so ashamed of myself and I post the most stupid comments because I am an imbecile. Mohammed the pedophile has taught me well. When people get angry with me, I claim they are the stupid ones. If I am not careful, my brain will explode because it is so full of hate and puss.

September 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
  4. jana

Republican plans for latin america: ANNEXATION!

September 1, 2012 at 9:58 am | Reply
    • Patrick

Thank you, jana. You said it all.

September 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Reply

September 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
  5. j. von hettlingen

The GOP is still dwelling on the era of Barry Goldwater. Many of their proponents are hopelessly out of touch with reality and the world outside their realm.

September 2, 2012 at 7:20 am | Reply
  6. herrer

Cuba is not exactly a communist threat and already other nations have opened relations with Cuba and are actually doing business in Cuba. Brazil and Mexico are emerging as economic power houses in fact immigrants are moving back to Mexico so there is an opportunity to work with them regarding immigrant relations. Then there is Hugo Chavez and well his countries oil yet we can't play nice with the guy because he is communist threat sheesh when is the GOP going to get rid of this notion of communist threat.

September 4, 2012 at 10:47 am | Reply