September 8th, 2012

On GPS Sunday: Is the Republican Party too angry? And is a global food crunch coming?

On Fareed Zakaria GPS on Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET: Syria, Iran, Afghanistan, and of course, the U.S. economy and elections.

First, Fareed looks at why the optimistic Republican Party of Ronald Reagan seems to have swapped places with the glum Democratic Party of the 1970s and 1980s.

“Today it is the Republican Party that often seems angry with America,” Fareed says. “Read the best-selling books by conservatives these days, watch Fox News or attend a Tea Party rally. They are filled with rage, often combined with a powerful nostalgia for an America that has gone away.”

Also on the show, a foreign affairs panel that includes Anne-Marie Slaughter, Richard Haass, and Martin Indyk; investor Roger Altman and historian Niall Ferguson debate whether we will be better off in four years; and in What in the World, Fareed takes a look at a looming crisis no one is talking about: the global food crunch.

Finally, the U.S. elections by the numbers, including a 1-on-1 with statistician Nate Silver.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Samuel

I wish you were a bit more analytically minded Mr. Zakaria. The fact that those who lack the ability to reason analytically are relatively more gifted in the art of discourse and vice versa is the most apparent imbalance that corrupts the integrity of the political system in this era of rising media influence.

Meanwhile, you, and many people like yourself are convinced that you are playing your part to make the world a better place. How can I take solace in that?

September 8, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Reply
    • zakariajoker

Actually he has made himself the Mr Know It All for each and every problem in the world and particularly the U.S.
      See it is only in the U.S. does he get the freedom to dish out his unfounded blather.

September 9, 2012 at 10:30 am | Reply
    • SEADOG

As a person that considers them self a decent careing human being I cant support the Romney/Ryan ticket, If you add the estimated 50,000 deaths due to lack of health care to the other vital social services that the Ryan Budget would eliminate or reduce such as nurseing home care, medicade, you could be looking at the death of up to million people over two four year terms.Fascism is capitalism plus murder. What makes it all the more reprehensible by the grotesque self righteousness with which Republicans routinely annoint themselves.

September 10, 2012 at 8:19 am | Reply
      • Jason

BULL$**T!!! Tell another lie and keep drinking your wh*re Wasseman-Schultz's green kool-aid.

September 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  2. ma.curd

Who isn't angry?

September 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm | Reply
    • deep blue

I'm not angry. Things are pretty ok.

September 9, 2012 at 12:06 am | Reply
  3. JAL

Fareed, To which Arab country would be the best to begin transitioning new business operations? I am planning on pushing a new business model that will hopefully be used as a blueprint for transitioning operations to the Arab world. We need to begin embracing the new peaceful future of prosperity all over the globe, also including Africa. Military build-up will cost lives and take creativity away from true needs.

September 8, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Reply
    • JAL

I am DONE listening to the rhetoric of Israel vs Iran. There are millions of people in Africa that are actually in real dire need and we need to have a major push for infrastructure and aid so as to help generate a viable economy in that region of the world. Israel and Iran BOTH need to stop talking and just work together to return everything to its rightful place, so that we actually have a chance in Africa. Stop bickering and team up, or we are lost.

September 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm | Reply
      • deep blue

Yes, we should stop dedicating our resources to war, and dedicate them instead to improving the quality of life for everyone! Why didn't anyone ever think of that?
        I admire your dedication, but conflicts require difficult diplomatic solutions. We can't just wish everything to be solved. We have to solve the problems. I say this not because I have a solution, but because the expectation that everything can be solved instantaneously is not achievable, and unattainable objectives lead to a lack of accountability.

September 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
      • JAL

A couple million bicycles and few thousand miles of paved trail that connects villages to major cities. Water, food and med runners. Many areas will need to be fully evacuated for a short time to root out war lords. C'mon man, if you dont buy this, then it wont be long before we all get sucked in. This is the only thing that will stop the fueding between Israel and Iran largely bc this project will fail without thier full cooperation with each other. Call thier bluff, I am sick of both sides arguing all the time.

September 11, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
    • Jason

So there really are fools here who listen to Zakaria. But thank you for showing his blatant agenda for what it really is.

September 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Reply
  4. Scott Anderson

I listen to Mr. Zakaria each Sunday and enjoy the programming that is generally more insightful then "the rest".

However, the "Anger", "Nostalgia" and "Pessimism" that Mr. Zakaria observes has little to do with Social, Technological and Global economic progress and everything to do with a $16 Trillion Debt, racked up by both parties.

As an analogy, they are not angry that their kid came home after curfew....they're angry that he wrapped the car around a telephone pole and won't accept responsibility.

Demonizing and minimizing the anger of people who recognize the danger and history of countries with unsustainable debt is not moving the discussion forward.

September 9, 2012 at 10:15 am | Reply
    • David

Well said. Zakaria loses credibility with me when he speculates about what motivates the Tea Party without mentioning our massive spending/taxing/debt problems. To disagree with the Tea Party about spending is one thing, but to suggest that they aren't primarily driven by concern about spending suggests bias.

September 9, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Reply
  5. zakariajoker

Zakaria I read your article in Time this week.
    The only comment I have on your condescending words is "YES THE FOOD WAS BETTER IN THE 50'S"
    If you were around you would know that.
    And don't you go around systematically attempting to shred EVERYTHING about the republican party.
    YOU really don't know much about this country. Though you think you do and think that you are god's gift to this country.
    Wrong!!

September 9, 2012 at 10:16 am | Reply
    • azindow

PLS STOP THIS NEOCON BS.

September 9, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Reply
      • zakariajoker

What is a neocon??????

September 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  6. kramer46

I find your program to be informative and enjoyable-unlike the left and right blather of most other shows. I must take issue with your reliance of Niall Ferguson for the conservative perspective. After his factually inaccurate (formally know as 'lies') Newsweek cover article on Obama, his credibility is in serious question. To put it lightly. I avoid political hacks and turned the channel for that segment.

September 9, 2012 at 10:56 am | Reply
  7. Amy

I find the people who call FZ a know it all incredible. Face it, he knows a lot more than you do on most things. It's ok if you don't agree with him, but you probably aren't as smart as you think you are.

September 9, 2012 at 11:01 am | Reply
    • zakariajoker

Amy
      fantasize much? Zakaria a confirmed plagiarizer is someone that you consider full of knowledge on all things earthly?
      And you don't know me or the extent of my knowledge, so you cannot comment on that. Just like I respectfully refrain from making comments about your pea brain. : –))

September 9, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Reply
      • GMB

People conveniently forget that their witing style is a reflection of themselves.

September 9, 2012 at 2:43 pm |
    • Jason

I don't call him a know it all aAmy. I call him a dangerous anti-American with a clear arab agenda against us.

September 10, 2012 at 2:10 pm | Reply
  8. ma.curd

deep blue: give it some more time. I'm not terribly angry-yet. The system hasn't collapsed yet.

Perhaps you think it can't?

September 9, 2012 at 11:15 am | Reply
    • deep blue

I'm an optimist. Problems are solvable. We have a talented workforce. It concerns me that politicians like to pretend that solving our problems will be painless, but I believe that delusion will be short lived.

September 10, 2012 at 8:05 am | Reply
  9. Claus Gehner

I find it distressing that supposed policy experts like Anne-Marie Slaughter can still maintain that the Afghanistan disaster might still prove to have a positive outcome. I am not sure how any thinking person, after Iraq, can still come to that conclusion. In her case it might just be an attempt to avoid admitting to her own mistakes.
    I am disappointed that Mr. Zakaria just allows his guest on these occasions to state their "opinion" and does not follow up with questions, such as, in this case, what evidence Anne-Marie Slaughter can cite for her optimism.

September 9, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Reply
  10. Rick S.

Shilling for Obama is what one would expect from CNN, but to suggest that Republicans are pessemistic about America's future is stating the obvious if by that you mean that they are aware that the country is going down the drain under Obama. Overall, it is the Republicans who want to preseve and strenghthen American excpetionaism, and it is the Democrats who want to "lead from behind", whatever that means.

September 9, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  11. Ed Mac

You overlook the o9bvious answer to the food crunch – fewer people. If there were 3 billion people in the world there would be no problem. Read Collapse by Jared Diamond – when a culture's population outgorws its ability to feed itself, it collapses. The answer is for countries like Bangladesh and others to stop having a dozen kids and expect us to feed them. Have 2 and feed them yourselves. Food isn't the problem, people are. As to the anger in the US (I am not American) – dissatisfaction is the first phase of significant change. Failure to accept that anything is wrong removes the motivation for positive change. Obama just gave you 4 more years of George Bush – more war in Afghanistan, he pushed the Bush bailout for the rich, he passed a health care bill tat transfers taxpayer cash to big medicine (Bush owuld have loved that). He is just more Bush. Ironically, it appears that the Republicans are the ones who might give less of the Bush era. Not that they are much better.

September 9, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Reply
  12. zakariajoker

Lame attempt Zakaria trying to call the election through the poll taker who was smart and honest enough to say that he woulen't bet on the prediction as he valued his reputation.
    THAT IS ORE THAN YOU CAN SAY FOR YOURSELF ZAK !!

September 9, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  13. zakariajoker

THAT IS MORE THAN YOU CAN SAY FOR YOURSELF ZAK !!

September 9, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  14. Tayebeh sharif

Mr. Zakaria I like your program and watch it every Sunday. This Sunday, however, I am very disappointed with you. You bring up the issue and tension between Iran and Israel , and let your guest talk about how dangerous Iran is with its nuclear program and how Israel and United State should take action, then you fail to confront them about Israel having over two hundred nuclear bomb and not being part of NPT. How is it possible for a country which hasn't made a bomb yet and is part of NPT to be a threat to a country which is not part of NPT and has over Two Hundred nuclear bombs already! Also, you faild to mention that NAM conference recently held in Iran, where over two hundred country approved Iran's nuclear program.
    If educated journalists like you start reporting the whole story and demand their guests to answer all the questions, the conflict in the Middle-East could honestly be resolved. Why are you recycling false information? .

September 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm | Reply
    • deep blue

Iran's nuclear program is extremely dangerous. Iran has been using military proxies to wage war against its neighbors. Israel has no regional allies to do so with. If Iran obtains a nuclear weapon, they would likely become even more aggressive in their proxy war efforts, destabilizing the region. I don't believe either country would use a nuclear weapon. Neither is that stupid. However, the Cold War was far from bloodless. The Cold War contributed to the rise of Al Qaeda, the installation of dictators around the world (including the Shah of Iran) that abused their people, and the loss of millions of lives. The true danger of nuclear weapons is proxy war and arms races. I'm not a fan of the current Israeli administration. I'm not a fan of Iran's either. However, I know that Iran obtaining a nuclear weapon will be bad for the world.

September 9, 2012 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  15. Patti S.

You talked about Republicans & the Tea Party being angry on your show Sunday. But I didn't hear anything about the angry Wisconsin Union protest that caused $7.5 million in damages to the Capitol. Nor did I hear you mention the angry "Occupy Wall Street" and the violence, vandalism and theft of property associated with that group. I thought I was watching NBC!

September 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Reply
    • deep blue

Zakaria in the past has discussed the effects of a high Gini coefficient.

September 9, 2012 at 7:09 pm | Reply
      • deep blue

*on social unrest, including in the US.

September 9, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  16. TheDA1983

Fareed, like many journalists, work really hard to put their facts together and present it in a comprehensive way and as a reporter myself, I have immense repsect for the craft, especially with very fastidious viewers, listeners and readers (and rightfully so because these are the foundations of good democracy) but for me the bottom line is that his reporting especially this weeks "What In The World?" should be an eyeopener that there's something we need to do to evenly distribute food to every human being on this earth. Coming from a developing country, it's disheartening to know that still politics have a profound impact on food and that skewed partisan politics Fareed alluded to is really something that people all over need to stand up against. This is our food. This is our survival we're talking about.

September 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Reply
  17. billybobcarville

I find that Zakaria shows his bias for Obama and it is glaringly evident.
    That's what makes his program a flop from the start since you know what the arguments will be.
    The other stuff, the international slant is just a sideshow and a distraction.
    I am not a republican and neither am I a democrat.

September 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Reply
    • deep blue

Mr. Zakaria is a news commentator, not an original news castor. He has no obligation to be unbiased. I like to hear Mr. Zakaria's opinions.

September 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Reply
      • johnjohn

Zakaria's comments are worth crap. He is using CNN's platform for his own advancement.
        I hope he gets hired by the dems to be secretary of state soon. Then surely we will be in trouble.
        Deepblue can then be asst sec state.

September 10, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • deep blue

In any case, if "the international slant is just a sideshow and a distraction" to you, then I can see why you would support Governor Romney. To me, foreign policy is more than a distraction. President Obama's foreign policy has been excellent. Governor Romney's foreign policy is unexplained. Maybe you should watch fox, and just go to the other room when they go around the world in 60 seconds. I think its a bit more important than that.

September 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  18. kathy eileen

Hey, anybody who disagrees with the likes of Zakaria is considered "angry," "biased," "glum" and even a possible source of violence.

That's all it takes. Just disagree with liberals like this misguided individual and you get labeled.

What was it Emily Dickinson said?

’Tis the Majority
    In this, as all, prevail –
    Assent – and you are sane –
    Demur – you’re straightway dangerous –
    And handled with a Chain -

September 9, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Reply
  19. gthog61

You idiot – what do you call all that bile spewed at the dnc last week?

September 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Reply
  20. hinckleybuzzard

Pretty glib essay. Which democrat did Fareed lift this one from?

September 9, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Reply
  21. herrer

He does have a point one has to wonder if the republicans are angry because of the state of America or because they are not in the oval office. Seriously the arguments they have made over and over again really becomes puzzling. Accusing people of bing unamerican the birth certificate fiasco their so call argument about sharia law and the list goes on and on. It comes to the point were they are claming that we need to take back our country from politicians I think and this whole we are undersige by the government mentally is what concerns me cause they are the government and they sound like sound like a group of rebels in a guerilla war.

September 10, 2012 at 10:33 am | Reply
  22. Jason

Zakaria, go back to Hell where you came from.

September 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  23. deniz boro

I watched the program only for the global food crises. It looks as if a confirmed persentage of 12% of the grains has been lost to weather cahnges.Non-recorded amount is not known. Mind you...I am not crying out for the purpose of "Humaen spoil the world" kind of thing. I believe this was the unusual activity of the sun...What I realy need to know is that : a) if so much grains suffered from this year- for any cause whatsoever- what realy happened to people; b) Is there a way to protect things that grow along with humans other than high UV SUNCREAMS.

September 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  24. GOP Word Association

WORD = GOP Association
    Old People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Sick People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Poor People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Female People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Non-white People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Non-christian People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Unemployed People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Gay People = Glob of cells that we don't care about. Let them die.
    Glob of cells in a womb = Something we PRETEND to care about just to get votes.
    Gun Control = Something ELSE we PRETEND to care about to get dumb redneck votes.

September 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Reply
  25. setnommarih

Wouldn't you be angry if your country was hijacked by a 3rd world leftist and was trying to turn the USA into EU or African 3rd world country. Under Obama's thinking the US has to shrink so the rest of the world can advance? That is unamerican.

September 11, 2012 at 6:36 am | Reply
  26. phishbohn

Is the Republican Party too angry... ummm yes. But I think it's better defined as conservatives. They have deluded themselves into an absolute frenzy. I KNOW of more than one who think the re-election of Obama will start a civil war which they seem to be anxious to undertake. Talk about whipping the fringe into a froth. One plays Rush Limbaugh all day and quotes him like Jesus, Another is waiting for Obama to try to come and get his guns so he can go down Waco style. Yet another curses the President every time he sees his face on television.

This isn't one sided though, Liberals overtly hated Nixon, Reagan and Bush with just as much passion. It's nothing new, Lincoln was hated, Roosevelt, Truman, Kennedy, LBJ, as a matter of fact I think you'd be hard pressed to find one President that didn't have opposition who where often angry and deluded.

September 12, 2012 at 11:30 am | Reply
  27. Louis Kellman

GPS December 30, 2012

I was very concerned when you or Kissinger did not mention the visit to China in 1970 by Pierre
    Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada., who Nixon had labeled as 1) an Ass Hole and as a 2)
    pompous ignoramus, this is the same Nixon who had a dubious history and will forever live on as
    ‘Tricky Dicky’.
    Trudeau had gone to China (without U S State Department’s permission (as if he needed it), and
    had established Trade Relations much to the chagrin of U S Businesses. He was labeled a
    Liberal, which he was, a Pinko, Socialist and Commie lover. (His father sold the infant ‘AAA’ to
    Rockefeller)..
    The American Right Wing has since mounted a campaign to never let it happen again.
    I am happy that they hate nthe democrats not as much as they hate the Democratic President, not
    so much for being a Democrat as for being ‘Black’ even though he is half ‘white’.
    Why was the 2 nd Amendment passes, was it to prepare for a ‘Slave Revolt’. (look at the dates.
    Why is the Second so important as the 13 th., 14 th., and the 15 th.?
    I resolved, in 1974 to never cross the 49 th., even though I have relatives living there since the
    1860's.
    Louis Kellman Fergus Ontario Canada.

December 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  28. Gazeta de maine

Hello my family member! I want to say that this article is amazing, nice written and come with almost all important infos. I'd like to see extra posts like this . Gazeta de maine http://www.gazetademaine.ro/

February 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Reply