September 10th, 2012

Is the Republican Party too angry to win?

It used to be that the Democratic Party was the glum party. In the 1970s and 1980s, Democratic party leaders often criticized the country relentlessly for its behavior at home and abroad, for its inequities and injustices. Think of civil rights and Vietnam. The Democrats, Jeane Kirkpatrick said at the 1984 Republican convention, always blame America first.

But today it is the Republican Party that often seems angry with America. Read the best-selling books by conservatives these days, watch Fox News or attend a Tea Party rally. They are filled with rage, often combined with a powerful nostalgia for an America that has gone away.

Watch the video for Fareed's take on how the winning party is usually the most optimistic one in U.S. elections.

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,155 Responses)
  1. St John

I am a white, middle class, reasonably successful business man and I voted for Obama and will again. I don't love him and I don't think he's the greatest thing ever. What I do have is an immense distrust of the most wealthy and powerful in our society. I don't hate success or want to punish it, but without a doubt in my mind the GOP are in the pocket of these folks historically and they are now. I have insurance through a great corporate plan and I still pay a hell of a lot of money for healthcare and premiums and my employer pays even more. How can any regular person in their right mind think the money we pay for healthcare is not beyond insane? Yet, because their buddies in the medical community and insurance ownership and management might make a little less money while Joe Average might feel like he's not getting it broken off in him the GOP is against it. I believe "Obamacare" could have serious budgetary issues and could be a big mess but for God's sake let's try something. The GOP would never do anything if it meant their pals would lose so much as a dollar. Regular people see these clowns for what they are, hypocrites and whiners who will obstruct anyone other than themselves that try to do ANYTHING EVER. But wait, they don't ever do anything but lower taxes on "job creators". The proof will be in the pudding in November. If Obama wins maybe the GOP will finally realize they really don't represent regular Americans, propaganda to the contrary be damned.

September 11, 2012 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Leave My Country

You're not too bright either. Obama is one of those wealthy people you distrust. This country is falling apart with him at the helm. Credit rating in the toilet, no balanced budget, economy, employment, national debt...etc, etc. America needs a new "chnge" cause this one is not good. But, it's because of people like you that voted for him that we're in this mess. Thanks for that!

September 11, 2012 at 11:46 am | Reply
  2. jimmy cracorn

I think many conservatives don't understand that because you prefer universal healthcare through socialized medicine that does not mean you want a socialized economy. I sure as hell don't. I think capitalism is human nature and to fight that is goofy. However nothing is the right answer every time. Healthcare is one of those times.

September 11, 2012 at 11:17 am | Reply
  3. Leave My Country

Yeah, just get out Fareed. Go report on Mid East stuff you freak.

September 11, 2012 at 11:37 am | Reply
  4. helen brown

Mitt support where he can make money. It's not about white to him, after all he sacked white men and woman, and paid himself $230 million, he shipped all his manufacturing jobs to China for cheaper Labors, and the Chinese are not white. Mitt and the Republican party knows they are enough anger racist in the USA. The Republican, have clear all decent people out and now the Republican party is filled with hateful racist people. I think Obama is far ahead of Mitt, but the media want is run by the right their want Mitt to win. The elect if Mitt wins will be stolen. I believe Obama is far ahead of Mitt. I want to see a stop to Obama working with the vile Republicans it's like working with the Klan.

September 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm | Reply
  5. Obelisk

If Republicans are angry then Hindu Goddess Kali must be really p!ssed.

HINDU KALI – And Her Thirst For Blood

A recent report by United Press trust of India (UPI) stated that during the past three years more than 2,500 young boys and girls were sacrificed to goddess Kali in India. Another of AFP's recent reports say: hundreds of young boys and virgin girls are sacrificed every month for the deity Kali. In one case Rama Sewak hacked his eight year old son to death in broad daylight in Delhi because goddess Kali had told him he would come back to life and bring him good fortune. Bloodthirsty Kali is worshipped openly the length and breadth of India. Kali's statue stands naked astride the inanimate body of the Hindu deity Shiva, tongue stuck out with blood dripping from fang-like teeth. She holds a noose, a skull-topped staff, a blood-encrusted sword and a severed head. She is also known as Durga, Devi, Shaktima, Uma and Parvathi in other manifestations. The priest of Delhi, Kali Bari, says that a child sacrificed to Kali ensures a man the birth of a son. Human sacrifices are also made to these gods or goddesses, either to appease them or to ask favours of them.

September 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Reply
    • DG

Do you know that the Bible is filled with numerous stories of human sacrifices to please God. Do you know that there are many insane people in the world today who are killing other human beings in the name of God. Do not give Kali bad name. Goddess Kali is the manifestion of the motherhood who will go to the extreme to destroy evil forces to protect her children.

September 13, 2012 at 1:38 am | Reply
  6. JAL

I think Fareed is great, but I have to stick my neck out for the GOP here. Romney is not mad. However, Fareed is allowed to have his view and it is within the realm of good taste. It is time to shift our focus to Aid in Africa. China can help in many easy ways, so can America, Brazil, India and most of all the Arab League. This is the station I am tuned into. Critical Priority.

September 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Reply
    • max3333444555

sure. why not a few more free trade agreements. we have more manufacturing jobs to ship away, dont we?

September 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm | Reply
  7. max3333444555

im not happy with obama and im not a republican. i suppose someone will call me a racist now?

September 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm | Reply
  8. Caterina

Zakaria, the plagerist, cranks out more anti-Republican, anti-American garbage. Look at the union thugs, look at the New Black Panthers, look at the Chicago teachers and tell me who are the angry ones? Who hired this radical idiot to either write for CNN or advise Obama?

September 11, 2012 at 7:04 pm | Reply
  9. White knight

NO,Democrats too scared to lose
    Despite down economy,millions unemployed,millions on food stamp,
    High gas prices,high foreclosure rate ,this obama lovers,obamaniacs,
    Romney haters,mitten haters still dont get it.you will never fool
    The majority of ordinary amaricans who are suffering from this 4 hrs of failed presidency
    Whatever polls dems rigged the down economy will bring Obama-Biden down to it's knees.
    So excited to vote in nov,4 years is enough.

September 11, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  10. White knight

NO,Democrats too scared to lose
    Despite down economy,millions unemployed,millions on food stamp,
    High gas prices,high foreclosure rate ,this obama lovers,obamaniacs,
    Romney haters,mitten haters still dont get it.you will never fool
    The majority of ordinary amaricans who are suffering from this 4 yrs of failed presidency
    So excited to vote in nov,4 years is enough.

September 11, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Reply
  11. dontbow

This guy has no brain. now he touts anger with politics as something new to a party. he must have not been in the US when bush was president and we had to hear all the angry hateful crap out of the demorats mouths.

September 12, 2012 at 4:45 am | Reply
  12. Bubba Joe

No, no, not too angry. Just too white.

September 12, 2012 at 11:30 am | Reply
  13. Lynna

FUNNY – So if you are going down in the polls, then just be optimistic and you will win ? IS that the Democratic party strategy. No matter how bad things look, if you stay optimistic you will win ? No matter how badly President Obama's JOB approval rating is. NO matter how low he goes in the opinion polls, no matter how many democrats leave their own party to vote republican because they are disgusted with the fact that the ONLY change that President OBAMA has brought in his presidency has been for the worse? JUST BE OPTIMISTIC and you will win ? Ummmmm ok. I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale, want to buy ?

September 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  14. Nathan Erondu

I thought I was the only one who has observed this danger. I think they are just adamant to changes that are all inclusive and relevant to changing times. Sorry for them the ground is shifting beneath them and there is no reverting back to old regressive and selfish ways of life. This is really eating them up.

September 12, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Reply
  15. M Houston

Not only are they too angry to win, they're too much out of touch with the real world to win. They've become a party
    of oligarchs and religious nut cases!

September 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm | Reply
  16. sam

Yes the Republicans are very angry people, if they have the chance they will not hesitate to go back to the lynching days, they will kill just to send a message.

September 13, 2012 at 2:14 am | Reply
  17. rgibson1

Outstanding, Fareed. The most concise, accurate portrayal of the Republican party I've heard or seen. Afraid. Scared. Clinging to a nostalgic America that's gone. Long gone.

September 13, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  18. Tensai13

HOW DARE YOU EVEN ASK THIS QUESTION YOU LIBERAL FASCIST COMMUNIST WHO LOOKS LIKE OBAMA'S IDIOT BROTHER IF HE EVEN HAS A BROTHER AND I DON'T HATE ANYONE BECAUSE I'M A CHRISTIAN, A CHRISTIAN! UNLIKE YOU AND OBAMA WHO DON'T EVEN HAVE BIRTH CERTIFICATES AND ARE SECRET MUSLIMS IN ANY CASE. FROM A NON ANGRY REPUBLICAN. OH YES, AND GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!!!!!!

September 14, 2012 at 2:41 pm | Reply
  19. superman

SERIOUSLY yea I look like obama and I have a mind of my own (he doesn't have a birth certificate)u were looking for reason to hate him fact is you really hate yourself and I don't blame you, your stupid you believe u have a deed 2 this country (lol) the rest of the sperm must of been really handicaped to of let you win how unfortunate for REAL CHRISTAINS. So read your bible go2 your church but REMEMBER GOD KNOWS YOUR HEART..... (OBAMA2012 POTwholeUS)

September 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Reply
  20. Pat

Haughty GOP seems to have gotten what it deserved; from Palin's ill treatment to misdirection in Bush's eight years to mockery of Presidency because of Obama's 2008 win, and the nerve of placing before the public someone they, themselves, had no faith in, it is a disturbing pattern of leadership displayed that has caused the GOP permanent harm in current generations that may take a long time to recover from. Until it is proved that those in the GOP consider themselves a part of the 100%, no solution appears on the horizon. There is nothing for Boehner to crow about in keeping the House, and it makes him look foolish to try.

November 10, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  21. Ilson

Good post. I'm dealing with a few of these issues as well..

May 15, 2013 at 8:03 am | Reply
  22. Cordeiro

I want to to thank you for this fantastic read!! I certainly loved every little bit of it. I have got you bookmarked to check out new things you post…

June 5, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Reply
  23. Cordeiro

Hi, I do think this is an excellent site. I stumbledupon it 😉 I may come back yet again since I bookmarked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to guide others.

June 16, 2013 at 8:39 am | Reply