October 20th, 2012

On GPS Sunday: Kofi Annan talks Syria, Evan Osnos talks China

"Fareed Zakaria GPS" this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET.

On Fareed Zakaria GPS this week, former U.N. Secretary General and former peace envoy to Syria Kofi Annan explains why he believes military intervention wouldn’t work in Syria.

“[I]t will not work. It will make the situation much worse,” Annan tells Fareed. “First of all, Libya – people refer to Libya as an example. Syria is not Libya. Syria is located in one of the most volatile regions of the world. Syria is next to Iraq, next to Lebanon, where we have major problems. And in a region where you have all sorts of jihadist elements.”

Watch the full interview Sunday.

Also on the program, the other “election” – China’s once-in-a-decade top leadership change is set to take place from November 8. The New Yorker’s Evan Osnos gives us a sense of the mood in China.

Topics: GPS Show

1. Diane Rodriguez

Kofi Annan was interviewed by Rachel Maddow Friday on this subject. His knowledge is invaluable in understanding the situation in Syria. Like most foreign policy issues, the situation is very complex. The general American public, myself included, are ill equipped to understand the number of diverse players and their motivations in Syria. Our ignorance about the Middle East, its history, culture, regional relationships and many Faith groups makes it easy to think about the region in an overly simplified cold war era manner. The US tends to bluster forward and then have to clean up the ensuing mess. We are so invested in the iinfallibility of our own economic and military power that we expose ourselves to extremist who are willing to strap suicide bombs on their children. Force,as a single policy position, will not win against these factions – it energizes them. Global issues are no longer containable simply by superior force. Diplomacy, strategic thinking, and a complex understanding of global relationships must anchor our foreign policy and be balanced with force. Annan speaks clearly and simply about these issues. Looking forward to the interview. Dan Senor could improve his understanding of effective foreign policy in the contemporary world by listening to Annan.

October 20, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Reply
    • Steve

It is interesting to see how you view Kofi, it is very different from my view on him. I tell you, it is much more interesting to me to communicate with people I do not agree with. I see Kofi as a bad influence. I also do not see him as having had any positive accomplishments. I do not see him bringing any good result to Syria.

October 21, 2012 at 10:32 am | Reply
      • j. von hettlingen

Indeed, I don't think Kofi Annan would get what he wants. It's highly unlikely that a political solution would end the conflict in Syria. The civil war will be fought to the bitter end. Looking at Assad's involvement in Lebanon, perhaps the region would be safer without him.

October 21, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
  2. Steve

Kofi gets trotted out on a regular basis. Look at his cataloge of speeches; he once said (and I paraphase) "the notion of personal liberty is a narrow Western concept" He gets presented as if he is some benevelent personality. In my opinion, this is not true. The entire UN has become a sad shadow of what it was. Look at the salaries, look at the number of relatives employeed, look at how little gets done. Move the UN to Mexico City or Darfor, or the center of the famine in Africa. How many of those clowns would show up?

October 21, 2012 at 10:25 am | Reply
    • Diane Rodriguez

"Benevolence" isn't something I think about or even care about in regard to Annan. Understanding doesn't mean acceptance. His deeper, nuanced understanding of other cultures is a function of his intelligence, experience and wisdom. In my view, that should be a core value in our shrinking world in order to move toward mutually beneficial co-existence. I think his suggestion that "personal liberty is a narrow Western concept" has merit. Many non American ethnic groups operate for the benefit of the whole rather than in support of the individual. I don't see that as a value judgement in a global context.

I would agree that the UN has been significantly lacking in many areas. Michael Soussan"s book "Backstabbing for Beginners" about the UN's failures in the oil for food program is a very good review.

October 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Reply
  3. Art

Regarding the Romney/Ryan position on Syria Kofi Annan stated: "He is dead wrong." Nothing left to be said.

October 21, 2012 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  4. Jim

I'm wondering why the story of the mall shooting takes precedent over this show. What I learn from Fareed Zakaria's show is more relevent to me and the world than a single incident like this. I'm not saying that I do not care about what is happening in the Milwaukee area, I just don't see why it is worth interrupting GPS. I can learn about this type of situation during the regular news times that come regularly throughout the day.

October 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm | Reply
    • Paul Tiffany

It's nice to know that there are other viewers of Zakaria's GPS who have much the same reaction. These pre-emptions have been getting worse and worse and the people @ CNN seem to be oblivious to their slide into tabloid journalism. There seems to be no meaningful judgement with respect to the relative importance of various news items. It seems they intersperse items from page 46, with page one.

October 21, 2012 at 2:05 pm | Reply
      • KaRin Zimmermann

AMEN to comments by Spirit, Paul and Jim. Those at CNN making the decisions to replace thoughtful analysis of current events with the equivalent of 'reality TV' insult many viewers.

October 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm |
    • JOY

BOY O BOY, I'M WITH YOU JIM,PAUL & SPIRIT 110% !! CNN DID THIS TO US LAST WEEK DURING GPS.
      WE WAITED LISTENING TO ENDLESS NOTHINGS ABOUT THE SPACE BALLOON GOING TO LAUNCH ,
      SOON BUT HAD TO MISS PART OF FAREED. AGAIN WAKE UP CNN!! GET WITH IT.

October 21, 2012 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  5. Spirit

This is not the first time CNN has interrupted the only substantive international magazine show on its network (and the only show I ever make time for on their network). I too sympathise with the victims of the mall shooting but I don't see why a tv station like CNN ought to interrupt GPS to cover it as if it is a small local tv station.

Get serious CNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is no wonder your ratings are heading south!

October 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Reply
    • Paul Tiffany

Do you get the feeling that nobody @ CNN is listening or even cares? Time to change the channel. I am mystified as to why they're continuing with this incredibly lame coverage. Somebody should be fired. Where's The Donald when we need him. Time to bring back Ted Turner.

October 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm | Reply
    • Eric M

I totally agree. GPS is the only balanced news show including discussions with world leaders – and we get interrupted by an irrelevant camera shot from a helicopter showing a few stationary fire engines and police cars, complete with narrative of nothing but speculation about what has happened.

I just changed the channel, and kept checking back every 5mins but it was exactly the same camera shot. CNN is seriously going downhill, and becoming irrelevant.

October 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Reply
      • Nancy

I AGREE, JOY,SPIRIT, PAUL AND ERIC –
        WE NEED TO PERSUADE ZAKARIA TO GET ON A REAL NATIONAL NEWS STATION – CNN IS MAKING US WATCH LOCAL NEWS – AND THIS WASN'T THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENED! i LIVE THOUSANDS OF MILES AWAY FROM WHATEVER STREET WAS BLOCKED IN WISCONSIN – WAKE UP CNN -

October 22, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  6. LT Wright

I watch Global GPS religiously, but take issue with your opening remarks about the difference between the Presidential candidates! You distilled Romney's 5-point plan and vision into one comment about his stance on taxes, and gave the President great credit for wanting to "invest" in exactly the things Romney would focus on – with particular emphasis on education. Obama has had 4 years to demonstrate commitment to education, and taking over of the student loan program is his only real accomplishment. Romney emphasizes training people for the jobs ahead, as well as getting those who want it a college education. Obama emphasizes only college. There will be many, many technical jobs ahead, especially in the energy industry – and also in manufacturing, if we can grow in that area. And not everyone is suited tor college; a college degree should not be the only goal. I dislike your short-changing Romney. At least you should state the case accurately.

October 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  7. Spirit

Oh and I forgot to add; CNN should have the common courtesy to tell GPS viewers when they can watch the rest of GPS. I am just so fed up with being taken for granted.

October 21, 2012 at 1:56 pm | Reply
  8. Paul Tiffany

CNN seems to be rapidly sliding into tabloid journalism. Most viewers of GPS are interested in national and international issues of large import, yet CNN keeps interrupting the show with Candi Crowley and "breaking news", most of it of trivial import in the larger context. The coverage of the shooting in Milwaukee was premature with almost no information of value. Pre-empting this show with the poorand relatively insignificant coverage on was an abominable production decision. Stop it! It's beyond annoying and very frustrating. Get to know your audience better. Blood and guts in one among hundreds of shootings around the country this year is just not that important.

Stop pretending that CNN is interested in high-integrity journalism and news of import to its wider audience. This is not the way to compete with Faux News.

October 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm | Reply
    • Don Sith

I think CNN is more concerned with competing for Fox News viewers than reporting serious news. This is why I turn to Al Jazeera, which I have found to be the most competent and the most objective source, for international (and sometimes even U. S.) news. Fareed Zakaria and Christiane Amanpour are the only CNN people to whom I will pay attention.

October 21, 2012 at 3:09 pm | Reply
      • J. Foster Dulles

Right, Don Sith. CNN is part of the right-wing news media trying to brainwash about the Middle East. In fact, we need to quit butting in as this enflames the resentment the Muslims feel toward us. Did you notice how the right-wing media never mentions the atrocities committed by the so-called "rebels", only those committed by the Assad forces? I'm sick and tired of all this right-wing news bias!

October 22, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
  9. Don Sith

Stop interrupting Fareed Zakaria with your stupid "breaking news". No one watching Fareed
    Zakaria wants to hear about your stupid sensationalist crap!!!

October 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Reply
  10. Frank Zimmermann

Going from intelligent news (GPS) to presenting police activities in hopes of sensationalism – Shame on CNN

October 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  11. contrast in obama.... 2008 v 2012

In 2008, obama ran on healing, bringing together, unfiying...

in 2012, he has divided american along every conceivable demograhic.

rich v poor
    women v men
    young v old
    muslims v "intolerance"
    black v white
    legals v illegals
    black harvard professor v white("racist") boston cop
    trayvon("looks like he could be my son") v white justice
    obamacare v throw grandma off the cliff
    bogus alternative energy v rich bad oil companies
    ground zero mosque v "intolerance"
    I killed bin laden v "republicans love war"

in short, obama has DELIBERATELY chosen to divide americans along every line imaginable....he has chosen to make people agnry at one another....

you tell me, how is that "presidential"? How is that a unifier? a bridge builder? The TRUTH is, he has completely LIED about what he said he was going to be when he duped everyone in 2008.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

October 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Reply
    • Don Sith

This is DEAD WRONG!! The American oligarchs who control American and international big business have decided to divide the country, through the influence of the legislators (both Republican and Democrat) they control and the "news" media they control. You are a prime example of the success of their scheme.

October 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm | Reply
  12. Ender Cam

Please stop interrupting GPS (Fareed Zakaria ) this is not the first time .... It is very rude. Hope not repeat again......?

October 21, 2012 at 4:06 pm | Reply
  13. paulwhois

What can we expect for next week's interruption of GPS? Maybe the re-opening of Al Capone's safe? Countdown for the end of the world by the Aztec calendar? Live cams of haunted houses? One more interruption of GPS and I'm gone for good. Doesn't the fact that there isn't ONE post in favor of "Breaking News" tell the execs in CNN anything?

October 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm | Reply
  14. 100% ETHIO

First, he have to solve his own Country problems. Ghana has too much problems. From health issues to economic.

October 21, 2012 at 9:10 pm | Reply
  15. Bruce Murphy

Stop breaking into GPS with your ....ongoing....Breaking News. I watch very little of CNN as it is. Take away most of GPS and you lose yet another viewer.

B