March 30th, 2013

On GPS Sunday: King Abdullah, Ambani, Howard and Medvedev

"Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

This week, GPS highlights some of the most memorable interviews so far this year.

First, Fareed speaks with Jordan's King Abdullah about the state of the Arab Spring, and his own country's evolution towards democracy.

“We’re still living in the shadows of the Cold War. And during the Cold War, it was more sort of, let’s say, the monarchies that were allied to the West and the republics that were allied to the Soviet Union. And so maybe you've seen the reaction more in the republics than you've had in sort of the countries that are either emirates or monarchies. But this is what makes maybe the transition to political reform even more difficult.”

Then, India's richest man, Mukesh Ambani, on India's road ahead – and why he's bullish on America.

“There has been a fundamental transformation in the energy scene in the US. For many decades, we’ve heard that the U.S. will be independent of foreign imports of energy. Realistically, I can now tell you that it is my judgment that this will happen in the next five or seven years. The U.S. has truly found non-conventional energy in shale oil and gas which is really, really bringing benefit not only to the population in the U.S., but across the world."

Next, the story of a country that responded to gun violence with an assault weapons ban: Fareed’s 1-on-1 with former Australian Prime Minister John Howard.

“We funded, with a one-off tax levy on everybody, the buy-back of something like 700,000 guns. The American equivalent of that would be 40 million weapons. And that was implemented over a period of time. And they were taken in by the police. And I have to say, the Australian experience overwhelmingly was of strong support. And, again, I emphasize, it came from both sides of politics.”

And finally, Fareed speaks with Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev about his job swap with President Putin.

“We achieved the main goal – to ensure continuity. Just like in any political competition we made sure that the political forces that we represent would stay in power for the years to come. And the people supported us. I am often asked ‘why did you do this?’ Well, let me ask you a question. What was I supposed to do? Start a race with my close colleague? With my friend? For what reason?"

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Wm. Feldbaumer

Fareed –

When I allocate an hour of my time to watch your show, I do not want to see a rerun. I am very disappointed.

March 31, 2013 at 10:34 am | Reply
    • Piyush

I agree. What a waste of time.

March 31, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Reply
  2. RussCrush

I watched the one-sided interview with Former PM Howard and all I heard was that the suicide rate is significantly lower. Does this mean that it is all sunshine and lollipops? All gun violence is down? Could Fareed has kissed this guys bum any more passionately? Where is your Journalistic credibility? Are all statistics down? All of them? If so, then why didn't you bring that up? There is absolutely no downside? None at all? Pathetic.
    Thanks for providing an unbalanced and lopsided endorsement for the Obama Administration.

March 31, 2013 at 11:32 am | Reply
  3. Anurag

Which book was recommended by Fareed at the end of this episode?

March 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Reply
  4. Robert Wilkinson

With the divergence between the stock market and the economy so pathetically obscene,you can't expect any significant recovery to happen,period.I've barely got a grade 9 education yet i have seen in plenty of time all the recessions from 1979 untill recently.I watch you interview so called educated people and wonder if they are actually that stupid or do they have a hidden agenda.Example-Most analyst on your show point to the USA as soon to be independent in energy and that will help the economy.Think about it because it dos'nt mater if the USA had an ocean full of oil,If it is still over $50.00 a barrel it won't help.I'm not kidding you,not too many people have common sense anymore and that's really why we can't fix anything anymore.

March 31, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  5. TRI-GEM

Awesome Post. GPS is the top topic and technology in the world. I like it.
    Thanks for sharing.