June 8th, 2013

Kissinger: China wants stability

Watch the full interview on "Fareed Zakaria GPS" this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

Fareed speaks with former National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger about U.S.-China ties.

You have been to China for 40 years, but you have also been over the last several months. And you’ve met this new leadership. What about Xi Jinping particularly? What do you make of him?

Xi Jinping is a strong personality, very thoughtful. And he, I believe, knows that he has to define a new direction for China, no matter how successful their previous efforts have been.

So what do you think this leadership is looking for from the United States, in its relations with the United States?

The leadership, as I understand it, looks now for a period of stability. They know that they have formidable tasks in adjusting many of their domestic activities. And they don't want to complicate those by a crisis with the United States.

Post by:
Topics: China • United States

1. afsomaali

Great program, even my kids liked it, except Kiesinger and Assoc. should have send someone else. With all due respect Henry didn't sound coherent.

June 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  2. Pro-active

He is right. China wants stability for the following reasons: Unfortunately for China, even though it has the wealth and military/technological power, it is now going through what the Western powers went through following industrialization as cost of labour has skyrocketed and the manufacturing base has shifted to places like Vietnam, Indonesia, Bangladesh and most recently Myanmar. China desperately needs new infrastructures to cope with the surge in population in the cities/urban centers together with issues of overcrowding, pollution & corruption in govt, which they are having to deal withMyanmar

June 9, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Reply
  3. j. von hettlingen

No doubt Henry Kissenger is hugely popular and highly respected in China. The leadership in Beijing should award him an honorary citizenship.
    This interview gives me hope that Henry Kissenger might live long enough to celebrate his 95th birthday! Last time he appeared on the show, I could hardly understand what he was saying. Indeed he still has a sharp mind.

June 10, 2013 at 9:27 am | Reply
  4. rightospeak

Removing my comment just proves how paranoid you are about political correctness. It is not important to me that you removed it ,because I recognize the censorship and almost giggle when you guys can not handle the truth and just spew your propaganda. I am also fully aware that only fools in this country think that they live in a democracy.
    I noticed that at the time of my writing there was a comment -the first one ,that called Kissinger a war criminal and that comment was removed as well. On LINKTV Kissinger is known as a war criminal, so that first comment was correct – maybe some CNN "investigative journalist " can find out why. I will give you a clue- think genocide on islands near Australia.

June 10, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Reply
    • LiveFree

I think there is a problem with CNN soundoff. I used to encounter this kind of problem even for non-inflamnary comments. I hope they will fix it some day.

June 12, 2013 at 3:13 am | Reply
  5. rightospeak

My apologies ! Maybe it is I , who is getting paranoid after removal of so many of my comments. The comments I mentioned were left in another place in reference to Kissinger and so was the one calling Kissinger a war criminal. I must give credit where it is due.

June 10, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Reply
  6. Jo Black

Person: Time to retire or die Kissinger. You do not know what China wants neither does China.

June 10, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Reply
    • LiveFree

Agreed. Even my kids know China dont want a crisis with USA when most of toys nowadays made in China. Maybe, he learned that from his grandchildren.

June 12, 2013 at 3:16 am | Reply
  7. Claudia

Mr. Kissinger, please, do not worry about China, because Asia is far richer than USA. Please, tell us, how can the West become one success again.

June 12, 2013 at 4:48 am | Reply
  8. russell lee

The West is too much founded on slave labor. Such, in the long haul, is a loser.

June 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Reply
    • Picard

Really? Are we again going backwards to the days of slavery in America that officially ended 148 years ago? It would be best if we not forget that piece of history in America but learn from it and never repeat it. There is slavery going on in parts of the Middle East and Africa to this day, let's focus on eradicating that.

June 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  9. kc

GO DIE Kissinger-sick and tired of listening to this snake speaking for China! We dont give a rat's ass what china wants–stop calling him a China expert–he's a Panda hugger and an apologist for China...His secret rendezvous to china was the start of America's decline–compromising our principles to suck up to this regime–Betraying the Taiwan and the Taiwanese people–note i DID NOT say the Nationalist regime-I said the Taiwanese people and Taiwan...the IDIOT snake got cornered by China in agreeing to the One China policy...F-U Kissinger...how about what the USA WANTS vis a vis China-Take your groble to the grave.

June 13, 2013 at 12:02 am | Reply
    • Really?

^ Drank too much kool-laid and filled with too much hate. A reason for America's downward spiral.

June 13, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Reply
  10. joe grinm

and we want kissinger to go away and retired. we do not want to hear his stupid opinions any more

June 13, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Reply
  11. joe grinm

he is a war criminal for what he did in chile in 1973. many chilean were killed by the nazi chilean government and kissinger.

June 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  12. ray

I believe that Dr. Kissinger is the greatest western strategist after World War II. He really knows about China.

June 14, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Reply
  13. GaggedinUSA

I snurkled a bit on that one. Doesn't everyone want stability?

June 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Reply