Dawkins: Religion no moral compass
September 27th, 2013

Dawkins: Religion no moral compass

By Jason Miks

GPS digital producer Jason Miks sits down with renowned evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins, author of the Selfish Gene and An Appetite for Wonder, to discuss readers’ questions on religion, its role in society and whether children can be described as “Christian.”

A number of readers noting your skepticism over religion’s role in society ask whether an absence of religion would leave us without a moral compass?

The very idea that we get a moral compass from religion is horrible. Not only should we not get our moral compass from religion, as a matter of fact we don’t. We shouldn’t, because if you actually look at the bible or the Koran, and get your moral compass from there, it’s horrible – stoning people to death, stoning people for breaking the Sabbath.

So the moral compass of any person is very much a part of the century or even the decade in which they happen to live, regardless of their religion. So we live in the early 21st century, and our moral compass in the early 21st century is quite different from 100 years ago, or 200 years ago. We are now much less racist than they were, much less sexist than they were. We are much kinder than non-human animals than they were – all sorts of respects in which we are labeled with a moral compass. So something has changed, and it certainly has nothing to do with religion.

You’ve been travelling to the States from the U.K. for a number of years. Have you noticed much of a change in the place of religion in the two countries over that time?

Notoriously, the United States is the most religious of the Western advanced nations. It’s a bit mysterious why that is. In Britain, Christianity is dying. Islam, unfortunately, isn’t. In Western Europe generally, Christianity is dying. Even in America, the figures show that religious adherence is being steadily reduced, and the people who now record themselves as having no religious affiliation is something like 20 percent. Many people don’t recognize what a high figure it is, and so politicians here who feel they have to curry favor with religious lobbies should maybe take a look at those statistics and realize that not everyone in this country is religious.

You say it’s a bit of a mystery why America is so much more religious than other advanced countries. Do you have any thoughts on why it might be? Tied to that question of disposition, several readers also wondered if there is a genetic predisposition toward faith?

There probably is, but I don’t think that really explains why America is so different from Britain. The least implausible suggestion that I’ve heard is that Britain and Scandinavian countries, which are also very non-religious, have an established church, and that kind of makes religion boring. Whereas in America, there is constitutionally a bar against an established church, and that could be one reason why religion has become so popular – it has become big business, it has become free enterprise, rival churches vie with each other for congregations and especially tax free ties.

Some readers see you as very evangelical in your atheism. Do you feel it a duty, just as some Christians might to share the word of God, to spread an atheist point of view?

Duty is a funny word. But when you say evangelical, I like to think that I don’t shout or shriek, but employ a quiet, sober voice of reason. And reason is on our side.

You’ve talked about feeling uncomfortable with the impact of religion on children. In fact, one reader asked whether you would prefer to see no under-18s at church. What’s your take?

I certainly wouldn’t wish to prohibit parents influencing their children. However, for the rest of the world, to label a child a Catholic child simply because its parents are Catholic, seems to me to be a form of child abuse. The child is too young to know.

You can see the absurdity of talking about a Catholic child of four when you think what it would be like if we talked about an existentialist child of four, or a logical positivist of four. In other words, we wouldn’t accept the labeling of a child based the parents’ belief, so why do we accept it when it’s religion? Why does religion get a free pass when it comes to labeling children in this way?

Post by:
Topics: Religion • Science

soundoff (2,950 Responses)
  1. Grafted Olive Branch

From my nearly 6 decades of life I have known myself to have a great propensity for evil thought. These evil thoughts have mostly been "checked" by my adherence to New Testament biblical morality. My evil thoughts have not been acted upon. It is to my community a good thing that this has been the case.

September 28, 2013 at 12:14 am | Reply
    • kenny

do you not understand the simplest rule that is instinctual in every man? here's a hint... its golden.... would your evil thoughts have brought pain and suffering onto others? would that pain and suffering have come back to you? its so simple a child can understand it .. why can't you...

September 28, 2013 at 12:27 am | Reply
      • mchavira2

Kenny are saying that if I can get away with an evil act without suffering any repercussions then instinctually I will do so or ought to do so?

September 28, 2013 at 1:36 am |
      • What?!

Kenny do you have children?

September 28, 2013 at 2:30 am |
      • Jim

"Instinct"? Did you read your answer before clicking 'reply'?

Is just another word for moral compass, that Dawkins claims doesn't exist.

Animals have instincts, but no jails. (That's called logic with a dash of evidence). Done.

September 28, 2013 at 7:22 am |
      • AJD

With no religion, I got involved in all kinds of bad stuff. I never hurt anyone, so I never broke the golden rule, but God knows I sure hurt myself a whole lot. Jesus pulled me out of the mire. So many people can claim there is no God, and that's fine, but nothing anyone can say can take away from first hand, actual, real, experimental knowledge I have of God.

That's what atheists can't argue against. They say, 'You can't prove God exists.' No, I can't. But why are you looking to me to handle that question for you to begin with? Why ask me to prove God when you can allow God to prove Himself to you?

September 28, 2013 at 8:31 am |
      • Ray

@Jim

He doesn't say that a moral compass doesn't exist. He says that it doesn't come from religion. Hence why Christians pick and choose what to follow.

September 28, 2013 at 9:20 am |
      • Xtian

Um, Jim, you clearly didn't read the interview. Dawkins explicitly states they he DOES believe in a moral compass; that compass, however, is not and should not be based on religious doctrine. Please take a refresher course on reading skills.

September 28, 2013 at 9:20 am |
    • Nate

I strongly agree. Left to my own devices I'm a bad person.

September 28, 2013 at 12:42 am | Reply
      • TexasGuy

You too are hiding behind religion. I can go read the yellow pages and tell you it helped me make a good decision, but you could not prove me wrong. What a sham religion has become. You, your preacher nor any other person knows what happens when people die. When I'm dead I am as dead as a dead dog.

September 28, 2013 at 2:26 am |
      • Kevin

A comment like that from a Texan makes me think that things are getting better overall.

September 28, 2013 at 3:32 am |
      • davvvyc

Religion is my efforts to get to God. Doomed to frustration.. A relationship WITH God is different. Peace with God is only by his Doing at the cross where should recognize God's way to be saved.

September 28, 2013 at 6:16 am |
      • Ian

i feel so sorry for you......

September 30, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
    • TexasGuy

People like you use religion all the time to justify their decisions. If you act out on what you call an evil thought, you and you alone should be held responsible for the decision. Also, you are responsible for deciding to not act out. Please drop the false premise that religion is doing something related to your decision. It's your deal no matter what you say about religion.

September 28, 2013 at 2:21 am | Reply
      • janetmermaid

Exactly! Religion is a scapegoat AND a crutch. We alone are responsible for our choices and our actions. Some people who were raised in abusive situations become abusers themselves. Others (like my Dad) rise above it BY CHOICE and become amazing people. Religion also gives people an "out" - gee I'm sorry I hurt you but I prayed for forgiveness so no you need to forgive me too since God did. No thanks. I'll take my belief in karma - what goes around comes around/you reap what you sow.

September 28, 2013 at 9:46 am |
    • Sam

What I find odd is that my natural state of being is not one that involves constant thoughts of doing evil acts. I am not perfect but I don't seem to have the issue that you are plagued by. Despite this, and because I don't believe in your religion, I am the one who is considered to abnormal by most of American society.

September 28, 2013 at 3:41 am | Reply
    • xirume

Clearly, you need psychiatric care.

September 28, 2013 at 3:41 am | Reply
    • Nicole

Oh, I have evil thoughts. Tons of them. Yet somehow my atheist self manages not to act on them, hmmm. Could that be because I'm an empathetic, sane human being?

September 28, 2013 at 6:05 am | Reply
      • davvvyc

I am responsible as long as I act morally well. This is so not like our fallen nature it isn't funny nor right. We need a Savior who will deliver us from the excuse of religion and make us into totally new creations in Christ with a new spirit! This is not situational ethics. It is born again salvation through a Blood washed repentance in a life where that one cannot lift itself by its bootstraps but trust in God continually and attempt at consistancy, to BELIEVE Jesus, His Risen Spirit. We deny yourself, take up your cross, FOLLOW Christ! Stay in His love!

September 28, 2013 at 6:23 am |
      • TiglathPileser

but my question is why? From a purely Dawkins point of view, if you are actually a simple mistake or chance in biological evolution then you (or i) as really of no more relevance than an ant, spider, fly etc. as such it makes zero sense NOT to act on any and every impulse you have. That is EXACTLY what the ultimate result of Dawkins' religion is, of course he espouses that I am wrong and that 'human morality', 'empathy' etc. is the rule, but it has been proven that many people are without empathy or have very little of it. Does that make those with empathy somehow superior? Is it simply Dawkins who will decide? This man spews so much hate and drivel mixed together I am shocked that anyone actually listens to him.

September 28, 2013 at 9:42 am |
      • Nicole

I never said I was a fan of Dawkins- in fact, I'm not, I think he's a bit of a misogynist with a bad habit of extrapolating his personal experiences as a universal human experience. That doesn't mean he's always wrong, though, he's quite skilled biologist. He's just no my guru on atheism.

Humans are the result of evolution. Empathy is useful and is seen in other animal species, but not all species, as it's only a trait that's evolved if it is useful to the community (otherwise the empathetic or pre-empathetic would die). That doesn't mean there aren't outliers who are less empathetic due to genetics, environment, or brain injury, but generally humans have a degree of empathy in their neuro wiring. Ditto for other traits that create functioning human beings that don't do evil things.

September 28, 2013 at 10:30 am |
    • JW

That says a lot about you and it's all extremely disturbing. However, if you look at your holy book, you'll see that god often advocates the absolute worst of crimes in his name when it suits him. So I really hope you don't find those passages because if you do, your community may regret it.

September 28, 2013 at 6:14 am | Reply
      • davvvyc

Read a book, "is God a moral monster," by Capon. You will see the answer..

September 28, 2013 at 6:32 am |
    • Randyb12

Dawkins and the New Testament agree...Romans 2:14-15 says that the laws of right and wrong are written in men's hearts...that is why the Gentiles do by nature what is right. Religion has been in every society in history and helps keep the less intellectual and capable individuals in check by the elite. It does serve a purpose.

September 28, 2013 at 8:33 am | Reply
    • ed dugan

Anyone that gets guidance from that book of christian fiction they call the bible is simply combatting evil with evil. Try thinking for yourself once in a while. However after six decades I would say you're just hopeless. Maybe slightly nuts as well.

September 28, 2013 at 8:47 am | Reply
    • Leonard Washington

I believe that's the Id and Ego being checked by the Super-ego.

September 28, 2013 at 9:22 am | Reply
  2. Bill the Science Guy

Jesus gives us a moral compass to love our neighbor although we have not always lived up to it over the centuries. Atheism has no dogma other than there is no God and thus cannot provide a moral compass. Dawkins seems to think morality is important but indicates morality is based on the times. Thus, you could conclude from this logic that living in Germany in 1935 it was moral to kill certain undesirable people to make room for the master race. So why could not that morality become valid again? In his book The Selfish Gene Dawkins claimed humans are robots. So again, no basis for holding humans morally responsible. But humans are not robots, have free will (which requires a supernatural source), and are morally responsible. Human bodies made up of natural phenomena (without a supernatural soul) would be controlled by the principles of science and therefore would have no ability to make free choices. See the book The Science of the Soul. Although people try to live by the Christian principle of love your neighbor, that will ultimately vanish over time if the philosophy of atheism takes over.

September 28, 2013 at 12:36 am | Reply
    • kenny

how do you not understand the golden rule... it is so simple... it is the basis for every rule... EVERY RULE... even towards our self... it is instinct... its is as old as the human race... children understand it... why can't you...

September 28, 2013 at 12:54 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

The golden rule of Dawkins is bound to a dead end. A sociopath killing someone else thinks he's doing something good, the golden rules wouldn't help much..

September 28, 2013 at 1:06 am |
      • kenny

AtheistsAreEvils – its sad that you can't or don't want to understand.... what do you think creates a sociopath? what do you think stops him? ... i don't think i can help you understand ... you clearly don't want to

September 28, 2013 at 1:09 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

if you want to take the Dawkins golden rule so serious then good luck with that. You're talking about it like it like it would be the answer for everything. The golden rule is not something that will produce some kind of magic and will make the world a bettter place to be. To many cult leaders like Dawkins, Koresh and many more that could be a dangerous potential for a mass murdering.

September 28, 2013 at 1:17 am |
      • kenny

if everyone understood the golden rule... the world would be at peace... sadly too many don't... even though it is sooooo simple... every time you hurt someone it spreads ... every time you help someone ... it spreads whether it comes back to you are not doesn't matter... it makes the world worse or better ... how do you not understand ... if we all understand... we would create heaven on earth beyond our wildest imaginations... one day it will come to pass... but only with more understanding...

September 28, 2013 at 1:24 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

It's too late for you Kenny, you've been brainwashed by Dawkins and his golden rule. No one can help you but yourself.

September 28, 2013 at 1:26 am |
      • Jim

Clearly you don't have children. They are self-absorbed and selfish creatures (on good days). Ever seen fights at daycare between 2-year olds over toys? That ain't your Golden Rule, but is consistent with the Christian framework.

Score? Dawkins 0, me 1.

September 28, 2013 at 7:25 am |
      • Matthew Grant

@ JIM "Score? Dawkins 0, me 1." ......Wow, I would not say that. I do have children and I am an atheist. I know that children are not the most moral creatures in the world but I do not believe it stems from original sin. Morality develops out of empathy and young children have not develop empathy and thus they fight over toys.

@ Everyone who states that I have "I have evil thoughts and without the bible I will do evil things" Paraphrasing of course. Well, let me tell you that way of thinking scares me beyond believe. First, evil and good are terms that are relative and not absolute. We do not live in a black and white world but rather it is just different shades of grey. I state this because to give the word any kind of meaning you have to give it a frame of reference. But anyways back to my point, We all have "evil thoughts" at time but I do not need God to tell me not to do something. I have empathy so I can put myself into the situation which helps me to not to do these "evil things" And if the only reason you do not do something "evil" is because some old book tells you so well that is just scaring.

September 28, 2013 at 10:12 am |
      • Maani

Kenny:

The golden rule, as we know it, states: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Tell me, how would this apply to a masochist? Since a masochist would have others do harm to him, then him doing harm to others would be following the golden rule.

The golden rule is not the be-all and end-all of everything. And your continued posts in this regard are getting boring.

September 28, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
    • Jeannine Olszewski

The "morality" of Germany in the thirties has repeated itself over and over again, with the massacre and slaughter of humans around the world, despite Christian morality. Christianity has been involved in oppression, slaughter, isolation of aboriginals, residential schools, sequestration of wealth and power, corruption, subordination and subjugation of women, intellectual elitism. Christianity and atheism are artifical human constructs, and in another century or two, perhaps humans will have developed a more sophisticated morality. To suggest that Christianity imparts any particular morality is pure folly. Nice moniker though.

September 28, 2013 at 2:00 am | Reply
      • Maani

Perhaps Christianity per se has failed to imbue humankind with a good moral compass. But I can assure you that if Christians actually lived what Jesus actually taught, then our example WOULD provide a pretty darn good moral compass for all.

September 28, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • Daniel

Prisons are filled with Christians. Is there something wrong with their Christian moral compass? Why are Atheists less likely to be in prison? By your reasoning of Atheists lacking a moral compass, they should be the only ones inhabiting prison. Atheists don't need a bible to guide them on how to be moral. They have figured it out for themselves.

September 28, 2013 at 7:50 am | Reply
      • Maani

As Bart Simpson would say: "Doh!" In a country in which 76% of the people call themselves "Christian," it is not exactly a surprise to find that Christians represent ~75% of the prison population. Doh. (LOL) However, your implied point is also faulty: simply because someone self-proclaims as "Christian" does not make them so. Thus, many "Christians" who are in prison are not "Christian" in any meaningful sense of the word.

September 28, 2013 at 8:23 pm |
    • ed dugan

I am an athiest and I don't need any religion to tell me how to live a moral life. You choose to belief a book of fairy tales about whales swallowing people, talking snakes, trumpets bringing walls down, be my guest. Athiests say nothing more than think for yourself instead of allowing some religiious huckster like billy graham to do your thining for you. He claims to speak directly to god and tell you what god says. If you believe that rubbish and it helps you define morality have at it. I have a conscience and that's what seperates right from wrong, not some junk from the bible.

September 28, 2013 at 8:55 am | Reply
    • naw

ok,, as elephant parents keep their young in line,, elephants don't have bibles.

In fact when adult elephants were killed for their tusks,, the young were free and destroyed villages. The solution? Bring the young to the adults. Results,, villages now spared.

Dawkins,100% silly poster who loves fantasy, zero.

September 28, 2013 at 9:32 am | Reply
  3. Christian

Atheists can't disprove God exists to Christians and Christians will never prove God exists to Atheists; it's futile. Atheists like facts. So here are some facts, Christianity is the biggest religion in the world. So there is either something to Christianity or all Christians are just ignorant, close-minded, and live in a dream world. It's also quite ironic that Atheists care so much about a God that doesn't exist. The really cool part is that the Bible, which Atheists completely discredit, has an answer for everything Atheists bring up to refute God's existence. Another irony and hypocrisy of Atheists is that while Christians are close-minded, Atheists won't give the time of day to believing in any sort of potential of existence of God. Meanwhile, Christians know there are mysteries that can't be explain, but have faith in what God's word says....because if you actually open your mind and look around, there is plenty of proof to prove existence of God. So who is more close-minded? I could go on all day, but my favorite "argument" is that the Bible was written by men. Yes, absolutely... men, infallible in all ways, physically wrote the Bible. However, it was the word of God, written by men filled with God's spirit that wrote those words. Need proof? The Bible has many books that overlap and tell different accounts of the same stories. How do Atheists explain the similarities in these stories when the authors of these books lived hundreds of years apart? The fact of the matter is, there is more to prove there is a God than to prove their isn't. Bottom line is that Atheists just refuse to believe otherwise. And God has the ultimate answer to those who don't believe.... there will come a day will EVERY knee shall bow and EVERY tongue will confess that He is Lord. Pretty profound words for a "fairy tale". The really sad and crazy thing is that there is nothing to lose in believing in God and everything to gain... a life of hope, a life of purpose, and best of all, eternal life when we leave this world.

September 28, 2013 at 12:43 am | Reply
    • kenny

do you understand the golden rule... it is the basis of all rules... it is as old as the human race... we live by it with every decision we make... every single one... even those that only effect ourselves... a child can understand it... why can't you

September 28, 2013 at 12:56 am | Reply
      • TiglathPileser

K Kenny, I've seen this silly comment from you too often not to comment. People do NOT live by the 'Golden Rule" as you call it, many live in direct opposition to it. But I agree, the the golden rule as stated in Matth 17:12 is a good start.

September 29, 2013 at 9:17 am |
    • Chaos

"Christianity is the biggest religion in the world. So there is either something to Christianity or all Christians are just ignorant, close-minded, and live in a dream world."

Mind beaming messages asking for favors to some invisible universal manager that keeps track of such things? Um, I guess its the second one.

September 28, 2013 at 1:59 am | Reply
      • Jen

Ok Sweetie. Best reply ever, OK?!! 🙂

September 28, 2013 at 2:35 am |
    • JW

We don't have to disprove anything. You make the claim. You must prove it. I can make the claim that there is a loving unicorn living at the heart of the sun who communicates his holy word to me (And me only) through telepathy. He has anointed me his representative here on earth and I shall be given a palace to live in and many, many playboy models for wives. You can't disprove that, can you?

Yes, there are millions of Christians, and they're all living in a dream world because it comforts them when they're afraid of the dark. There is NOTHING to Christianity at all. Millions of people that the song, "Barbie Girl" was awesome, too, and they were all wrong. Besides, if that's the case, Islam must be real too, right? There's millions of them. Jews? Hindus? MILLIONS OF EM. Must be something to that, too. You disagree? Ah, thought you might. You're an atheist when it comes to their god. Just not to your own (Funny, huh?).

The only reason we give a tinker's damn about your god is because you keep forcing it on us and using our tax dollars to fund your little dreamworld. Separation of CHURCH and STATE, understand? Not to mention how often your beliefs hold back scientific and social advancement.

The bible has an answer for everything we can bring up to refute god's existence? Does the bible have an answer as to why, when Jesus rose from the dead and everyone in the area rose out of their graves with him and had a big reunion with their families, no one in Rome recorded it... ever? Even if you could prove your god exists, I would STILL stand against him because of the odious things he does and says and preaches. Don't like the old testament god and what happens there? Guess you don't like the 10 commandments, either. They're in the O.T. You can't just pick and choose. Either it's all god's word and it's unchanging and it's forever or it's not.

If I look around I will see proof of god's existence? Where? In a sunrise or a baby's laugh? In a planet "designed for us" of which a large majority of it is uninhabitable? Please. You're seeing what you want to see and nothing else.

How do we explain the similarities in the stories of the bible? How do you explain the glaring differences? There are literally tons of places in the bible where the facts don't match up, and not on little things, on BIG IMPORTANT THINGS! How did the spirit of god get these things wrong? I'll tell you this, people are retelling Batman's origin story decades after he was first published. Is Batman real?

"there will come a day will EVERY knee shall bow and EVERY tongue will confess that He is Lord. Pretty profound words for a "fairy tale". The really sad and crazy thing is that there is nothing to lose in believing in God and everything to gain... a life of hope, a life of purpose, and best of all, eternal life when we leave this world."

That's where it always ends, doesn't it? After all the love and hope messages, Christians always tell you how you're going to bend the knee one day to a jealous, petty, celestial tyrant who demands you worship him. Nothing to lose and everything to gain by believing? So, your god rewards a hypocrite who blindly worships him rather than a critical thinking believer in evidence and fact? That says a lot about your god and you.

And who says we don't have a life of hope and purpose? And you call us the arrogant ones...

September 28, 2013 at 6:31 am | Reply
  4. housla007

Dawkins said Christianity has no moral compass by referring to the old testament. He avoided referring to
    Jesus. I would like him to share his thought on Jesus and whether the New Testament has moral compass.
    Christianity is about Jesus and to become like Him. If he doesn't understand that then he should not be in a
    position to judge.

September 28, 2013 at 12:45 am | Reply
    • kenny

the golden rule is instinct... it is as old as time... it is so simple... yet somehow you can't understand it... why... you choose not to... and you pay for it

September 28, 2013 at 12:58 am | Reply
    • JusticeForAll

Actually you may not understand the lesson of the Old testament. There cannot be love with no discipline. Passions unchecked can turn very evil. Look at Islam and the vicious acts in the name of God. The main reason for the great increase of this is because the west has been soft and is trying to combat it with cookies.

September 28, 2013 at 1:15 am | Reply
      • kenny

love is a human creation to drive people to do things that go beyond their normal behavior and thus break the golden rule. would you die for the ones you love? would they for you? would you kill.. would they... the golden rule is so simple... if everyone understood it we would create heaven on earth... do you agree? we follow it in every decision we make. the problem is we don't understand it... even though it is so simple.

September 28, 2013 at 1:29 am |
    • Macauguy

Uhh the only instance of "hell" is in the New Testament. Also, why discard the old Testament as you must understand it to understand the New Testament. Typical response from an American christian though, don't know your one books or how to think critically.

September 28, 2013 at 7:40 am | Reply
      • Maani

Might want to read your Bible a bit more closely. "Hell" is mentioned in Deuteronomy, 2 Samuel, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Amos, Jonah and Habbakuk.

September 28, 2013 at 8:27 pm |
  5. Nietzsche

God is dead!

September 28, 2013 at 1:02 am | Reply
    • God

Nietzsche is dead.

September 28, 2013 at 1:11 am | Reply
    • NorCalMojo

Gods die off, but religion carries on. Our collective psyche needs the security of certainty, even if it's a delusion.

September 28, 2013 at 1:13 am | Reply
      • Jen

OUCH! Touche...

September 28, 2013 at 2:36 am |
      • davvvyc

I've anchored in Jesus! I have the supreme confidence to live really live because of what the Son has Done (Finished Works). My job is believe in Jesus, that 2000 years His Life, Deth, burial, and Resurrection was enough!

September 28, 2013 at 6:37 am |
    • Jim

Sadly, on a definitional basis, God cannot die. Your statement is flawed at the outset.

September 28, 2013 at 7:26 am | Reply
    • Maani

I find it amazing how so many atheists like to use this quote to support their positions. Yet what Nietzsche was saying was quite the opposite of what atheists seem to think. Nietzsche was saying that WITHOUT God, humankind is directionless and doomed. Here is the FULL quote, in context, not simply the out-of-context line that atheists like to provide:

""Where has God gone?" he cried. "I shall tell you. We have killed him – you and I. We are his murderers. But how have we done this? How were we able to drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What did we do when we unchained the earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving now? Away from all suns? Are we not perpetually falling? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there any up or down left? Are we not straying as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is it not more and more night coming on all the time? Must not lanterns be lit in the morning? Do we not hear anything yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we not smell anything yet of God's decomposition? Gods too decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become gods simply to be worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whosoever shall be born after us – for the sake of this deed he shall be part of a higher history than all history hitherto."

September 28, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Reply
  6. AtheistsAreEvils

Does anyone else noticed this, Richard Dawkins has the same sociopath evil eyes as Donald Rumsfeld does?

September 28, 2013 at 1:02 am | Reply
    • JusticeForAll

That is a very stupid comment.

September 28, 2013 at 1:12 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

No it's not, look at his picture on top of this page, the guy has eyes like a sociopath.

September 28, 2013 at 1:21 am |
    • naw

it wouldn't surprise me that you said that. After all,, christians created an anti-christ to get the religious to hate those who question religion's silliness.

September 28, 2013 at 8:05 am | Reply
    • Ian

Just because someone has similar eyes DOESN'T make them similar in personality. I guess thats down to your lack of reasoning capability which you show in all your troll posts

September 30, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Reply
  7. NorCalMojo

Dawkin's philosophies might work if the world were populated by 100+ IQ academic types. SInce it's not, he's pipe dreaming. With a lot of people, fear of God is the closest to morality you're going to get.

September 28, 2013 at 1:07 am | Reply
    • AtheistsAreEvils

A lot of sociopaths have an IQ of over 100, that doesn't make Dawkins or any of them a better person. As a matter of fact, it could be very dangerous to listen to them.

September 28, 2013 at 1:11 am | Reply
      • Clint

It has nothing to do with being a better or worse person. It has to do with being smart enough to see religion for the myth that it is, not just one, but all religions.

Doesn't mean anything else, has nothing to do with anyone being a good or bad person. But, alas, you appear to be an under 100........

September 28, 2013 at 3:06 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Atheists radical ideology makes you think that religious people are crazy. Reminds me of the whole saying " The whole world is f..ked up but i'm ok" That's exactly how you sound like.

September 28, 2013 at 3:22 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Sorry i meant "The old saying"

September 28, 2013 at 3:22 am |
      • naw

atheistsareevil,, I really hope you grow up one day.

September 28, 2013 at 8:06 am |
    • Kevin

Do some research on the 'Flynn effect' and have some hope that most people won't remain mostly ignorant.

September 28, 2013 at 3:15 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Do some research on professor John Lennox.

September 28, 2013 at 3:24 am |
      • Kevin

I've already watched Christopher Hitchens utterly demolish him in a debate. FYI, the Flynn effect is a study on how the average IQ raises a few points every few years because humans are increasingly inundated with more and more objects for visual analysis and more affluent as a whole.

That's kind of an entirely different topic altogether than anything having to do with religion.

September 28, 2013 at 3:29 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

So you're actually saying that your IQ level is higher than mine or anyone else here? Don't you think its being a little presumptuous.

September 28, 2013 at 3:39 am |
      • naw

well atheistsareevil,, thanks for proving to all of us how your critical thinking was destroyed by your witchcraft religion. More reason to treat religion as p-o-rrn and keep it away from kids till they reach 18.

Then again, the religious don't like that since the brainwashing doesn't stick as well if you don't begin early.

September 28, 2013 at 8:10 am |
  8. AtheistsAreEvils

Wake up atheists, the golden rule would not put a sociopath on the right track, when a sociopath kills he thinks he's actually doing something good. The golden rule of Dawkins is just a word to brainwash his sheep into believing that it is the solution, just like Hitler did with his plan called The Solution.

September 28, 2013 at 1:09 am | Reply
    • JusticeForAll

People brainwash themselves and do some pretty bad things in the name of God too. This trait is not exclusive to atheists.

September 28, 2013 at 1:11 am | Reply
    • kenny

you are so simple minded its sad... yet you can't understand something as simple as the golden rule... what creates a sociopath.... other people who hurt him... so what does he do to fulfill the golden rule... he hurts other people... look it up... its so simple a child can understand...why can't you...

September 28, 2013 at 1:15 am | Reply
    • AtheistsAreEvils

I have heard Dawkins asking his followers to raise up and stand their ground, he's a dangerous potential cult leader just like Koresh and others were.

September 28, 2013 at 1:19 am | Reply
      • naw

actually,, christianity is a cult of cults

September 28, 2013 at 8:15 am |
    • Ian

" when a sociopath kills he thinks he's actually doing something good" sounds like a religious person to me... 9//11 comes to mind

September 30, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  9. JusticeForAll

It is very understandable. It is impossible to prove religion. Also when you look around the world especially at religious Muslims you would be right to doubt the morality of religion.

September 28, 2013 at 1:10 am | Reply
  10. AtheistsAreEvils

Not all religion is the same.

September 28, 2013 at 1:19 am | Reply
    • kenny

they all seem to have similarities... what makes you think yours is right and they are wrong?

September 28, 2013 at 1:38 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

I never pretended that one religion is better or bad than any other. But i do say that atheism is just another kind of religion masked behind a form of belief. Godless but still a form of belief and a potential danger.

September 28, 2013 at 2:15 am |
  11. korgri

(stumbles in wearing pizza delivery livery, bearing two pies) Did someone order these two pizzas?

September 28, 2013 at 1:20 am | Reply
  12. AtheistsAreEvils

Richard Dawkins is a dangerous man who's trying to brainwash the mass into thinking that he holds the answer to all our problems.

September 28, 2013 at 1:25 am | Reply
    • kenny

no he doesn't... does religion... understanding solves all problems... do you understand everything... does religion... together we can try and understand... we may never... but to pretend we do ... doesn't solve problems... does it

September 28, 2013 at 1:33 am | Reply
    • TexasGuy

You need religion. He needs reason. It is as simple as that.

September 28, 2013 at 2:31 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

I don't force religion of atheism on anyone, but i'm just being precautious about anyone who is forcing any kind of idealism on me.

September 28, 2013 at 2:40 am |
      • Kevin

Your handle alone implies a prescriptive view on belief. Do you understand how that is entirely hypocritical?

September 28, 2013 at 3:01 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Do you understand that you just judged me because of the alias i'm using? Is that what Dawkins golden rule is teaching you? "Never judge a book by its cover" philosophy should be something you might consider instead of that golden rule.

September 28, 2013 at 3:19 am |
      • Kevin

Your handle is telling me that I'm 'evils'. So what you're saying is that you can judge my position but I have to back off yours because hey, it's just a nickname.

I'm done with you.

September 28, 2013 at 3:30 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Wait, i'm not done with you yet.lol

September 28, 2013 at 3:40 am |
      • naw

I don't think athestsareevil is playing with a full deck.. Take it easy on the poster.

September 28, 2013 at 9:37 am |
    • Clint

Oh the irony of a religious person accusing someone ELSE of brainwashing.......

September 28, 2013 at 3:08 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Did i tried to brainwash you?

September 28, 2013 at 3:32 am |
    • edmundburkeson

I wouldn't call him dangerous here. This is a very weak argument.

September 28, 2013 at 3:19 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

When someone who want to take over the world with an ideology then it is a dangerous person.

September 28, 2013 at 3:33 am |
    • edmundburkeson

Atheists have nothing to offer. They can only attack and try to destroy everything other than atheism. The fact is: they must accept what is. They have no basis for justice, morality, health or any other thing that would remedy the undesirable aspects of this world. Life is tragedy without remedy.

September 28, 2013 at 3:25 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Edmund said: They can only attack and try to destroy everything other than atheism. "speaking of atheism"

That's what makes Dawkins and atheism dangerous. Does Communism,Stalin,Popol,Hitler and many others ring a bell to you?

September 28, 2013 at 3:36 am |
      • Ian

oh dear, the deluded found a keyboard.. a quick bit of advice for you... "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." unfortunately its a bit late but useful for the future

September 30, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
  13. AtheistsAreEvils

No it doesn't but atheism is and could be even worst, without morality, atheism is bound to be worst if not more.

September 28, 2013 at 1:37 am | Reply
    • kenny

you still don't understand... morality is not based in religion... it is instinct... it is the golden rule... i'm nice to you and you will want be nice to me but you still have a choice ... i hurt you and you will want to hurt me.. but you still have choice ..... all religious laws are based on that.. ALL OF THEM... you can't control choice with anything.. even religion... but we all know what is right deep down... we simply choose not to... because we don't understand...

September 28, 2013 at 1:42 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

The problem is you don't understand that if you want to build a house you will a plan "blueprint", if you want to build an electronic circuit you will need a plan "circuit diagram". same thing goes for religion, God is a reference point "plan" to go thru life as a good person. Of course there will always be deviant people, just like there are in atheism, and some other cults and religions. Even science needs a reference point "hypothesis" to start with a theory. Atheism has no reference point at all. Dawkins believe that what makes non sense for someone don't necessary mean it's bad for someone else. Now we're having the acceptance of two people with same $ex getting married and considered normal, the next thing will be pedophilia and then bestiality and who knows whats next.. Don't say it won't happen because, remember what Dawkins is teaching "what looks or considered bad for one person doesn't mean that it is bad for someone else". That is why i still say that Dawkins is a danger to our society and the future generations. I agree that we need to change but Dawkins is neither the one or the person we are looking for or need for these changes to make this world a better place to live in.

September 28, 2013 at 1:57 am |
    • kenny

i think i know why you choose religion... it offers forgiveness for those you have wronged... since you are too cowardly to ask them for forgiveness yourself... like most people... you would feel better if you made amends... trust me...

September 28, 2013 at 1:52 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

You have no clue of who i am. Even if i tell you, you would say i'm lying, so i will only say "don't judge me without knowing me" if it's what atheism is teaching you what you are accusing me of, then your golden rule has a bad start.

September 28, 2013 at 2:01 am |
    • Ian

i don't think i've seen more rubbish posted than the drivel you have taken the time to type out.

September 30, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  14. Yoda

“Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.” – Seneca the Younger

September 28, 2013 at 2:24 am | Reply
    • AtheistsAreEvils

This is exactly why i say that Hawkins is not to be trusted, anyone claiming that their ideas are better than others is something we should all be careful of. History has taught us that every time someone who had a view of a perfect world always end up in disaster.

September 28, 2013 at 2:34 am | Reply
      • Kevin

I'm glad all the hateful bigots with low IQs and a tenuous grasp on the English language that post their insight are on your side of the argument.

September 28, 2013 at 2:53 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Kevin in case you don't know, the world is not only filled up of americans. No need to play the spelling bee hero.

September 28, 2013 at 3:00 am |
      • Kevin

You shouldn't always say what you know, but you should always know what you say.

September 28, 2013 at 3:05 am |
      • Clint

"anyone claiming that their ideas are better than others is something we should all be careful of."

Ahhh, you mean like all you crazy religious folks?......(yours is the only one and true path ya know?...)

September 28, 2013 at 3:10 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Clint who told you that i was a religious person, your atheism? Is that the golden rule of Dawkins that you're going by for insulting me? You should reconsider that golden rule because you're on the wrong track to become a good person.

September 28, 2013 at 3:14 am |
      • Kevin

Well if you aren't religious then I guess YouAreEvils.

September 28, 2013 at 3:22 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

You judged me again lol.

September 28, 2013 at 3:26 am |
    • edmundburkeson

And in the end, you suppose, the atheists get to choose who is who.

September 28, 2013 at 3:06 am | Reply

What?

September 28, 2013 at 3:26 am |
  15. edmundburkeson

I'm still waiting to hear why religion is not a moral compass. Islam certainly is a bad moral compass, but a moral compass nonetheless. I think what Dawkins would say if he had any inclination to do research is that what is missing in Islam is the prohibition against lawlessness and vengeance. Vengeance is mine saith the Lord. This no where to be found in the Koran. It offers God as merciful but gives no example of what a God of mercy would do. Atheism offers absolutely nothing at all. As he weakly scans history he flippantly excuses any influence whatsoever that God and God's people had on human morality – this is just silly. The influence of the Divine simply cannot be removed from the "what is" of human history.

September 28, 2013 at 2:45 am | Reply

Excellent point.

September 28, 2013 at 2:47 am | Reply
    • Ian

islam prays to the same god as the christians... read the whole bible and find recipes for God demanded child abuse (Abraham to knife his child to prove to god he loves him more), god demanded genocide of the Canaanites, homphobia, mysogyny etc etc. if you still believe the bible is a recipe for a moral compass then i worry for you.. You cannot ignore the bad bits in the bible and try and claim the high ground, it makes you look a fool

September 30, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Reply
  16. Kevin

Professor Dawkins is smarter than anyone who's posted a comment on this article... myself included.

Reflect on that.

September 28, 2013 at 2:49 am | Reply
    • AtheistsAreEvils

That's your point of view.

September 28, 2013 at 2:54 am | Reply
    • Jim

Smarter? Based on what?

In this instance, he makes contradictory statements that are impossible to prove (is why he doesn't provide any supporting references) about a field in which he lacks the rudimentary foundational training.

In fact, he isn't even an above average evolutionary biologist, which is his field of study. I think he got scared when he was asked about how the Law of Irreducible Complexity applied to some of his numerous, ever-changing theories of evolutionary biology.

Smarter? Na... Not even close.

September 28, 2013 at 7:19 am | Reply
      • Ian

you'll need to post a citation for that comment about dawkins being scared otherwise you'll just be seen to be pulling a stupid opinion out of your hat (which is the case)

September 30, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
  17. PJ

Still waiting for an atheist to explain when and how the original solitary particle appeared to commence the Big Bang.

September 28, 2013 at 2:51 am | Reply
    • Kevin

First, do me a solid and tell me what that would prove.

September 28, 2013 at 2:53 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Kevin, scientists had being wrong before and they will be wrong again sooner or later. Science is not static.

September 28, 2013 at 2:56 am |
      • Kevin

What does that have to do with anything? I can think of a few priests who have been wrong. Are you ready to toss your religion out the window due to that fact?

September 28, 2013 at 2:59 am |
      • PJ

Kevin, Help me...Inquiring minds who are not as astute as you would like to know. How did that particle which started the Big Bang appear in the first place?

September 28, 2013 at 3:04 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

PJ, i doubt Kevin will give you a direct answer. When atheists are cornered, they always go in different ways but the main subject.

September 28, 2013 at 3:09 am |
      • Kevin

How am I supposed to know? If you're so skeptical, then shouldn't you also apply that logic to religion?

Your arguments are a 2 way street, man. You cannot have it both ways.

I'd say the scientists out there have done a whole lot more work actually researching the universe and giving you a damned accurate picture that goes billion upon billions of years back than your 'faithful' who seem quite satisfied to just shrug and agree on the whole thing starting 10 thousands years after man domesticated the dog.

September 28, 2013 at 3:10 am |
      • Kevin

So yeah, PJ, you plan on addressing my question to you? Or do you find that logic unassailable. Because I've found that most of these conversations end when you get that mirror image of your faulty position.

September 28, 2013 at 3:17 am |
      • Jim

Would prove your assertion that no God exists.

That you respond to such an obvious request with a question concedes the point. Now go back to your cave, monkey.

September 28, 2013 at 7:20 am |
      • PJ

Kevin,

I am answering you back now because it is late here and I was sleeping. My response to you is that your belief as an atheist states that the universe came into existence through spontaneous generation, which has been found by science to be unfounded. In generic terms, nothing can be created from nothing. However this is my consensus of those who put science up on a pedestal. If one were to argue that "God spoke" or "God breathed" or "God created" and then applied the tenets of the Big Bang, then it would make sense. Because only an omniscient deity who formed the laws of nature could also break the laws of nature at His whim. The laws of motion, thermodynamics, physics etc, do not apply to the early stages of the Big Bang. That is scientific consensus. So it does make scientific sense to me that a deity who I refer to as God can make the universe in 6 days or in 13.8 billion years, can also "make the sun stand still" in figurative terms, or make the Red Sea part, or resurrect the dead. He also determines free will, but also determines when one will die, even though in my mind I find that superficially to be incredibly cruel. I could go on an on discussing scientific theory and the somewhat abysmal state this planet is in with regard to mankind. But science has shown me that there is a God, one God and that He is sovereign.

September 28, 2013 at 8:04 am |
      • Kevin

You are a complete lunatic.

September 28, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
    • Kevin

Actually, let me just play your argument back to you.

"Still waiting for a theist to explain who created god"

Then tell me why your answer of no one satisfies you but if I were to tell you that solitary particle was here for eternity you would be equally dissatisfied.

September 28, 2013 at 2:56 am | Reply
    • Clint

Careful, you might fall off the edge of the earth......

September 28, 2013 at 3:12 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Are you coming with me Clint?

September 28, 2013 at 3:27 am |
    • Yoda

Even if a Deity did it, all you are doing is shifting the question to who created the Deity in the first place.

September 28, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  18. SchmittyJ

The issue of the problem of the limits of science is that it is NOT a scientific issue. People without faith simply don't possess the mechanism for understanding faith, the same that people with faith can't NOT make the "leap of faith" once empiric, scientific observation has found its limit.

September 28, 2013 at 3:08 am | Reply
    • AtheistsAreEvils

Atheists denies the fact that they too are having faith. Atheists have faith in their science and that is the truth.

September 28, 2013 at 3:11 am | Reply
    • Kevin

Every living human has faith in cause and effect. Everyone has faith that gravity will work 100% of the time. That makes your point invalid and pointless.

September 28, 2013 at 3:12 am | Reply
    • Clint

I have faith in many things, just not your mythology. Religion does not have exclusive rights to the use of the word "faith" or it's meaning.

It's truly sad watching you religious types grasp at nothing to try to make an argument. Facts always win in the end.

September 28, 2013 at 3:15 am | Reply
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Which facts are you talking about? Popol? Stalin? Communism? Atheism?

September 28, 2013 at 3:29 am |
    • Clint

Oh, and for the record, I'm not an atheist or a religious nut. I'm just a non-religious human being in a world full of very strange people with strange and completely unproven beliefs.

September 28, 2013 at 3:17 am | Reply
      • Kevin

That pretty much makes you an atheist. Don't worry, it's not a pejorative term.

September 28, 2013 at 3:24 am |
      • AtheistsAreEvils

Clint, by taking an atheist side, you take an atheist position.

September 28, 2013 at 3:30 am |
      • naw

Hi Clint,, you are a Realist.. That is exactly what a Realist position is,

September 28, 2013 at 8:14 am |
  19. AtheistsAreEvils

Atheists come back i want a good argument with you, i'm not done yet lol

September 28, 2013 at 3:46 am | Reply
    • naw

I suggest you grow up first and actually debate as an adult with 'reasoning'..

September 28, 2013 at 8:13 am | Reply
    • Ian

You are a sad little troll who is not that smart so a discussion with you is a waste of time

September 30, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  20. AtheistsAreEvils

Oh well this is the silence before the big bang lol

September 28, 2013 at 3:50 am | Reply
  21. Todd

Not seeing any answers to the world's problems by adhering to these views. He notes many half truths. There is an Old and New Testament, the new offering hope to humanity. What does this guy offer? Nothing but an empty glass.

September 28, 2013 at 5:01 am | Reply
    • Religionfuxyouup

Ahteistsareevils.....whoa.....common sense and depth. You should have hopped on board that train. Oh, well. Luckily, he does not live near me nor have any impact in my life beyond this one-time message: Boy, you done got messed up and think you're a good person. We see you in another light. Sorry. You are what you are and your kind have to be carefully monitored.

September 28, 2013 at 5:44 am | Reply
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

@Todd – I would agree that Dawkins' tone at times is caustic, unpleasant. Although I agree with the harms he has noted, I don't agree with a militant approach he and a few others have chosen.

Having said that, you stated, "There is an Old and New Testament, the new offering hope to humanity." But I would offer that the chance for an unproven eternal life creates a disconnectedness to our current lives and conditions, as religious people walk through somewhat of a trance in view of the threats and challenges facing us. Although religion does bring some morality (and immorality), this disconnectedness it brings to accepting and fixing the here-and-now is very damaging.

September 28, 2013 at 7:22 am | Reply
  22. Jim

Dawkins likes to set himself up as the "voice of reason," but I find man of his views anything but and (despite his claims) he does shrilly shout. For his "logical" views, he scoffs at the idea that a divine being (a greater power) could have guided evolution, but in the next breath he suggests that possibly advanced aliens (a greater power) "seeded" the earth with matter that spurred evolution.

September 28, 2013 at 7:32 am | Reply
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

Ok, but do you have any evidence to show that a divine being is guiding evolution? Have you noticed that religion continues to retreat from science – evolution was denied by many believers, but now it is accepted by many believers as a means to explain the truths in front of us, truths that can not continue to be masked by religious explanations.

September 28, 2013 at 8:13 am | Reply
  23. naw

thankfully secular society tamed religions in the USA.. Hadn't they, it'd be like the middle east here - except with christians.

Morality was developed by individual, atheist included. The bible is just primitive man's manipulations. It is distorted, conflicting and full of comic book riddles.

September 28, 2013 at 8:02 am | Reply
  24. Jim

The veneration of society for scientist make people allow them to rule on matters they don't know about like moral, let those scientist rule on biology and stuff BUT NOT ABOUT MORAL which they don't know nothing about.

September 28, 2013 at 8:04 am | Reply
    • naw

morality and generally doing good comes from people, atheists included. Religion clearly has no corner on that. In fact religion keeps scr–ewing it up

September 28, 2013 at 8:11 am | Reply
  25. K

"Now of course we don’t do that anymore, but the reason we don’t do it is that we pick out those verses of the bible that we like, and reject those verses we don’t like. What criteria do we use to pick out the good ones and reject the bad ones? Non-biblical criteria, non-religious criteria. The same criteria as guide any modern person in their moral compass that has nothing to do with religion."

That's a funny way of saying adapting...

I personally don't agree with him, but it's his opinion.

September 28, 2013 at 8:28 am | Reply
  26. Randyb12

Dawkins and the New Testament agree...Romans 2:14-15 says that the laws of right and wrong are written in men's hearts...that is why the Gentiles do by nature what is right. Religion has developed in every society in history and helps keep the less intellectual and capable individuals in check by the elite. It does serve a purpose.

September 28, 2013 at 8:34 am | Reply
    • Youtube - Neil DeGrasse Tyson - The Perimeter of Ignorance

Yes, but then there are the parts where people do what is not "written in men's hearts" but what is written in their holy books (the immoralities).

September 28, 2013 at 9:05 am | Reply
  27. Liz the First

You can be a firm believer in the existence of a higher power and be totally against religion and what it's doing in today's world. man invented religion and uses it, in most cases, to exert power through brainwashing and guilt. all religion should do is make the individual a better person and the group more caring for others. these days, it's used to give people permission to feel superior to others and discriminate. i do believe most atheists are not so opposed to God as they are to how God is portrayed by most religions. i don't like that 'God,' either.

September 28, 2013 at 9:00 am | Reply
  28. Robert

I listened to this guy on NPR the other day. A real arrogant puke.

September 28, 2013 at 9:16 am | Reply
    • Ian

He will only sound arrogant to you because he was probably trashing your small minded world view. When someone is thoroughly trounced by good argument then they get personal.

September 30, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Reply
  29. Disillusioned

I would not let someone's aversion to religion shut off a very significant aspect of human life , which is spirituality. We are meant to be a species that lives more thoroughly than a mere grubbing for existence. How many athiests read horoscopes or practice new age beliefs or meditation or something else?

September 28, 2013 at 9:26 am | Reply