January 4th, 2014

On GPS Sunday: What will 2014 bring? Plus, Bono and Elon Musk on creativity

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

On GPS this Sunday: Fareed convenes a panel of top commentators to look at what 2014 might have in store: Zanny Minton Beddoes, economics editor of The Economist, Ian Bremmer, founder and president of the Eurasia Group, Wall Street Journal columnist Bret Stephens and New America Foundation President Anne-Marie Slaughter offer their take on what to look for.

Plus, where do creative people find inspiration? Fareed speaks with two of the most creative people in their fields – Bono, the leader singer of U2, and Elon Musk who heads two of the most innovative, disruptive companies in the world, namely electric car maker Tesla and SpaceX.

Also on the show, Fareed looks at why 2014 will be a pivotal year for China, and whether globalization might be “over.” And for those who might not have had a chance to place an order before the holiday: GPS has its new travel mug available online at:

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Danro

Waiting eagerly for the next album from U2!!!!

January 4, 2014 at 8:00 pm | Reply
  2. ✠RZ✠

Predictions: The first quarter will be tell tale for the rest of the year. Interest rates have no where to go but up. No miracle solution to any economy problems. Individual and small business entrepreneurialism and innovation will slowly become economic revolution. Suicide bombing to start in America.

January 4, 2014 at 10:55 pm | Reply
    • Sisyphus142

Your final sentence is disturbing! Must you post such an irresponsible statement? I know, free speech. Sometimes bloggers go too far!!! Have a nice day.

January 5, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Reply
  3. Kereeditse

I applaud Bono's art and cultural work for global transformation. Yet I cringed at the quick reference to other cultures like Africa in his response to where creative people get their inspiration. I work outside the U.S teaching Cultural Studies in diverse cultural spaces and expressions from the literary canon to yardie performance. I want to emphasize that people in the world need not have Shakespeare and Eurocentric so-called 'high culture' to find their inspiration and articulate their vision – there is so much muse in their own lives, their environments, their traditions, their rhythms;and let's not forget the origin of the largely unacknowledged appropriation of non-western culture which in itself is an inspiration for so many iconic Western artists. Unless leaders for cultural change (especially the media and popular culture) change their own mindset and language about the embedded high-low cultural divide and the prestige of western culture in relation to the creative imagination of other cultures in the world, there will be no honest and sustainable social and global transformation in our world. Peace...

January 5, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Reply
  4. Rochele HC Hirsch

I loved both interviews re: creativity. Bono's insights about "the song writing you" - and the creative urge "coming from the void" tells me that he opens a gateway to his deepest expression and his connection with the "unseen" - like Mozart. He fills his own void with music. Elon Musk's "working hard" description for his creativity, grounded in science and technology, for the purpose of "positive impact on civilization" also was useful and inspiring to hear. I expect Musk is driven to "fix what needs to be fixed" - likely because he experienced dysfunction with "authority" early in life. Thanks, Fareed, for producing these two pieces.

January 5, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Reply
  5. daskey

Why can't I find the Elon Musk interview on creativity? I wanted to show it to my Physics classes. It was an instant classic. Bono was fine, but Musk is perfect for my class. To be honest with you, this website is a bit frustrating. You say yo have the Musk interview, but it is nowhere to be found.

January 5, 2014 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  6. Thomas

Like @daskey, I have also been searching for the Elon Musk interview portion of this segment. He hit the nail on the head when he stated that creativity is all about TRYING. Most people have brilliant ideas but refuse to manifest them out of fear. He sends a GREAT and simple message there and I would love to share it with others!

January 6, 2014 at 10:39 am | Reply
  7. JEICH

Whenever I think of creativity, I think of Robert A Heinlein's 5 rules of writing. We often describe innovation and creativity as something magical. That Inspiration is fairy dust that is sprinkled on us from a visiting fairy that blesses only a few newborn babies. On the contrary, 'talent' and 'creative' are useless words we throw at people to explain their work ethic, I think. It's not the ideas that really matter. Everyone daydreams about one day doing something great. It's about working at that thing, today, right now, in your chair, this very moment. And not stopping until you're finished. Willpower and work ethic are what ought to be admired of these guys. Everyone dreams big, but practically no one follows the 5 simple steps of actually acting on it. I know me especially. lol

January 6, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Reply