May 10th, 2014

World's media under growing pressure

By Karin Deutsch Karlekar, Special to CNN

Editor’s note: Karin Deutsch Karlekar is project director at Freedom House for ‘Freedom of the Press,’ an annual country-by-country survey of press freedom issues. The views expressed are the writer’s own.

At first glance, the rapidly changing ways information is produced, distributed and consumed should be signs of a golden age for the world’s press. A broader range of professionals as well as citizen journalists and bloggers are writing, broadcasting and posting information in a larger variety of ways. Their news is traveling faster and reaching larger audiences. But the world’s media is facing significant new pressures and growing dangers in almost every region of the world.

Our research for Freedom of the Press 2014, finds that as media evolve and innovate, governments’ attempts to restrict and suppress independent information have become no less innovative and widespread.

By our measures, which evaluate the environment journalists operate within as well as access to news and information, global press freedom has fallen to its lowest level in over a decade. Only 14 percent of the world’s population lives in countries where we rate the press as “Free,” while the vast majority live in “Partly Free” (42 percent) or “Not Free” (44 percent) media environments.

Key factors for the decline include governments’ attempts – particularly in authoritarian states or polarized political situations – to control news content. Some authorities rely on extreme measures such as the murder of journalists or blanket censorship. But a growing number also use newer, more subtle techniques – from physically harassing journalists covering protest movements, to restricting foreign reporters, to tightening constraints on online news outlets and social media. In a number of countries, private owners of media outlets exercise undue control by altering editorial lines or dismissing key staff after acquiring previously independent organizations.

Over the last year, some of the most overt attempts to restrict press freedom occurred as journalists and photographers covering street unrest or protest movements were harassed. Numerous instances were reported in Turkey, during the extended Gezi Park protests, in Egypt during the protracted clashes between supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood and the forces arrayed against it, and in Ukraine.

Foreign journalists – who play a key role in more closed environments in the coverage of sensitive stories and in spreading news to a global audience – are not immune to pressure. Russia and China declined to renew or threatened to withhold visas for prominent reporters. Upping the ante, the new Egyptian government went a step further by detaining a number of Al Jazeera staff on charges of supporting terrorism; three are currently on trial.

New media, such as online social networks and microblogs, and digital means of transmission, such as the internet and mobile phones, have also come under renewed threat. While China and Vietnam continue their efforts to control online speech by arresting bloggers, other countries are imposing restrictions by introducing or extending existing laws to cover online content, or by censoring websites.

In the United States, the government has sought to limit reporting on national security issues. The United States’ and other governments’ reported targeting of ordinary citizens as well as political figures for surveillance also raises concerns about the ability of journalists to protect sources and maintain their digital privacy.

Media freedom is also facing threats from private actors employing more subtle techniques. Ownership changes at key media outlets – particularly when the new owners had close connections to governments or ruling parties – leads in some cases to altered, less critical editorial tones, and in others to the dismissals or resignations of journalists deemed to be too outspoken. In Turkey, dozens of journalists were allegedly forced from their jobs because of their coverage of politically sensitive issues, including high-profile dismissals.

Given the importance of freedom of expression and access to information to the strength and vitality of democracy and economic growth, we need to ensure that journalists under pressure receive support, and that such threats to their independence and ability to report freely are widely publicized. Keeping the new channels of communication as open and uncensored as possible is the key to ensuring that the increasingly sophisticated methods used to restrict the free flow of information are not ultimately successful.

Post by:
Topics: Media

« Previous entry
  1. ✠RZ✠

Maybe they should just try tell the unbiased truth. Or would that be the equivalent of asking the government to be transparent and honest? And speaking of the interconnecting web, did you know that the Falkland Islands apparently has the highest percentage penetration of internet users? Not bad for an island country that is known for sheep herding and fishing. It's amazing how many island countries have a high percentage of internet users. You'd almost think they were bankers or something.

May 10, 2014 at 9:56 am | Reply
    • john smith

America is the root of all terror. America has invaded sixty countries since world war 2.
      In 1953 America overthrow Iran's democratic government Mohammad Mosaddegh and installed a brutal dictator Shah. America helped Shah of Iran to establish secret police and killed thousands of Iranian people.
      During Iran-Iraq war evil America supported Suddam Hossain and killed millions of Iranian people. In 1989, America, is the only country ever, shot down Iran's civilian air plane, killing 290 people.
      In 2003,America invaded Iraq and killed 1,000,000+ innocent Iraqi people and 4,000,000+ Iraqi people were displaced.
      Now America is a failed state with huge debt. Its debt will be 22 trillion by 2015.

May 11, 2014 at 11:28 am | Reply
      • aurelius

Comrade Popov, alias John Smith. I have watched your comments on a number of blog, and your message is the same. You are a Russian loser who envies the West to death and were most likely turned down when you applied for a visa to emigrate to the US.

May 15, 2014 at 8:21 am |
    • j. von hettlingen

Karin has forgotten to mention Britain, which has had a long tradition of a free, inquisitive press. Yet unlike the US, it has no legal guarantee of press freedom. Yet in recent months The Guardian has been constantly harassed by the Government Communications Headquarters, the British NSA, because of the Snowden revelations.

May 11, 2014 at 11:32 am | Reply
    • TIAMUSA

Yes, that would be the equivalent of expecting a transparent and honest government. Turn that around and state what the government does. "What does our government do? The government raises taxes, misappropriates resources and lies to the citizens." Do the same for the media. You do not respond with what they are supposed to do, but what we observe them doing. Forget "PC."

Our media has convoluted and become perverse, which is necessary to support the similar larger thrust of government along these lines. The monopolized media serves the same owners that our politicians and judges serve. America is perverse and deviant, as evidenced by our politicians and the media. Sickening and wrong.

May 13, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Reply
      • ✠RZ✠

Only one correction to note TIAMUSA, and that being pertinent to addressing "America, Washington, and Special Interests". I consider America to include all Americans many or most of whom would now prefer to distance themselves from the likes of dysfunctional Washington and the corrupted interests that control it. We might all be guilty of something but can hardly be considered perverse or deviant in our slumber. It's time to wake up, speak up, and stand up.

May 13, 2014 at 8:04 pm |
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Journalists in the USA enjoy copious freedom.
    I fervently hope that matters of national security will be allowed to remain secret.

May 10, 2014 at 10:29 am | Reply
    • rupert

Yes. Freedom of the press is informative, entertaining, and powerful. Not so in South Korea, Mexico, and many other nations I can't mention. You know. Blocked.

May 10, 2014 at 11:55 am | Reply
    • ✠RZ✠

Well Joey, maybe I'm starting to lose it or maybe just having a John Lennon moment, but I'd like to hope some day that national security might not even be needed. Probably just on account of it being Mother's Day weekend ya know. My Mom was absolutely the best. Everything and every good quality you can imagine was there. But sadly a tremendous lot of pain too. Oh I could see it if I looked into her eyes. I could see it clear as day, and even now I still have to fight back tears of my own rage just thinking about it. God bless and lift up all good Mother's as an example of what life could be like.

May 10, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini

There goes my stupid imposter doing his best to make a fool out of me. As anyone with half a brain would know, there is not a word of truth in what he posted above!

May 12, 2014 at 1:11 am | Reply
    • USAPeasant

I'd disagree. Everything should be brought out to the light.

Take the Snowden Case for instance. Look how the crooked government try lying and obviously the sh!lls be oppressing journalists and whistle-blowers for years despite all evidence point to fact that yup, you are spying on us. Then they get caught and very shamefully blame the very people calling them on their bullcrap? See that's why no one trust the government. They deal with shadows and when the Light shines on them they get burnt up. Government needs to stop its bullcrap, the Era of Lies is over. Get with the times or get out of the government I say.

May 13, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  3. Allan Kinsman

One of my favorite quotes by Sir Isaac Newton. "To follow the truth". Our salvation as well as our future is reliant upon how well we will follow this simple principle. Those who make this choice bring the rest of us into the light. Then with the facts clear in our minds the hard choices remain to change what we previously believed.

May 10, 2014 at 10:37 am | Reply
    • ✠RZ✠

“I believe that there is one story in the world, and only one. . . . Humans are caught—in their lives, in their thoughts, in their hungers and ambitions, in their avarice and cruelty, and in their kindness and generosity too—in a net of good and evil. . . . There is no other story. A man, after he has brushed off the dust and chips of his life, will have left only the hard, clean questions: Was it good or was it evil? Have I done well—or ill?”
      ― John Steinbeck, East of Eden

May 10, 2014 at 10:48 am | Reply
      • Allan Kinsman

I appreciate Mr. Steinbeck. I have always wanted to understand. He like others reporting the facts of their journey shape what they say by their view. He like some others want us to suceed as I do. I have been lucky to have lived long enough to have outgrown some of my illusions. I often in my own stumbling try and explain these alterations and hope for clarity. However it also srikes me how many people see the same thing yet think completely differently. I suppose a reason to pick up a pen. I find often when I finally set down a few things in understanding the act opens new avenues of thought. Therefore an absolute is missed and I learn someting by a crack in a new door opening.

May 10, 2014 at 11:20 am |
      • rupert

How true. And how dare, those that have done evil, get sympathy when they gasp for air in their last seconds of life, sent there by a court for their act of taking an innocent life.

May 10, 2014 at 11:45 am |
  4. stuart

Yea. One day, we're gonna "..live off the fat of the land."

May 10, 2014 at 11:35 am | Reply
    • Luis

I call myself a "Professional Nag". School syestms run.... ironically when I say that to the outside supports – speech, OT and now applying for a device – I get told "No advocate".Sometimes you just have to be that way. Talking to teachers and professionals, we're only 25% of the special ed parents – the rest expect someone else to do it. No wonder school's can't be bothered.Something I discovered – in Dec the gr 4 to 6's at little boys school are going to the Comm Ctre – including the Dev class. They can swim or skate. Mine takes swimming lessons and is going swimming. It is the day after my surgery so Mom is going to deal with changing in the lifeguard bathrooms. BUT, I wanted to make certain he had support in the pool – fish = dangerous. Yes, the EA's are going, yes, the male one will be in the pool with him. Unlike a reg class where he had 1:1 now he shares support, so I had concerns. What shocked me was her surprise that he was going...WT?? He's never missed a field trip yet. Supposedly most of her parents won't send them...WT??? I've only been to the one's to the pool, even the water park I didn't go and his EA took him.Why keep them back???

July 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm | Reply
    • Siphesihle

Well lets start off by saying that that first anewsr you got shows that amount of moronic ignorance out there in America today. They don't question the Fox News viewers intelligence because they are Fox News watchers but rather that the viewer doesn't follow in lock step with the point of view that they in person hold. This leads us into next question; it is not that the others are less pro-American as it may look, they are pushing an agenda/propaganda that they want you to judge instead. It make them upset when you reckon for yourself and don't drink the koolaid they are passing out. We live in a global the upper classes and there is no way out of that, they just want to be crowned kings worshiped as vital public instead of just doing their job honestly. Check every fact on every channel for your own excellent read, watch, question questions and by no means judge that anyone knows everything! Excellent luck to you in life my friend!

July 21, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Reply
    • Halil

Yeah I get it already, She's fatnsatic. and she certainly is but could you please post some of the races she's won or her trophy (& medal) collection. Can you show her some respect for all the training she's been doing instead of just ooogeling at her? thanks Man, DarrylHarrisburg, PA http://pjypgvwr.com [url=http://zpqgtctvb.com]zpqgtctvb[/url] [link=http://rfxkmbfvgiw.com]rfxkmbfvgiw[/link]

July 24, 2014 at 7:13 am | Reply
  5. rupert

Me too. I've lived long enough to have outgrown my illusions. Or rather dreams. But true, new cracks in the door can open up.

May 10, 2014 at 11:38 am | Reply
  6. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

When I contemplate the moment of my death, I do not anticipate asking myself whether I was evil or good. I shall ask myself whether I did everything that I wanted to do, and had everything I wanted to have.
    I do not think that I could express that in a novel that would sell as well as Steinbeck's, but maybe I could. Certainly, my views would never sell as well as the Holy Bible.

May 10, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Reply
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Nietzsche wrote extremely well about good and evil. If that subject interests you, check out his work.

May 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • George Patton-2

Now that's a very good idea, Joey. Besides, I always enjoy reading in German as it is one of my favorite languages. Russian is my first favorite, however. I want to reiterate that I,m the true George Patton here and not that illiterate troll who usurps peoples' names here for his own self-amusement.

May 10, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Reply
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ George Patton-2:
        I recall your experiences in Germany, and you always spell Bayer correctly.

May 10, 2014 at 4:22 pm |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ George,
        Tell us about the flying saucers again, and then explain how Germany made those helmets.

May 10, 2014 at 4:27 pm |
      • dazzle

Joey, je doute que le general est Philip Mai's s'il peut nous divertir avev des histories de Bayer, les nazis, et plus encore. Je suis po

May 10, 2014 at 8:22 pm |
      • George Patton-2

Excuse me folks, but does anyone know of a home remedy for toe fungus? One of my toes is giving off such a bad oder that it could kill a gnat.

May 11, 2014 at 12:56 am |
      • Philip

Knock knock...just passing through this joyous day. And your mom? (Shrug) Just dropping you all this Mother's Day card. Stay clear of too much chocolate candy. Sugar makes you wild. I think we're wild enough... heh heh..

May 11, 2014 at 4:05 am |
      • Glory

GP2: amputation of your head.

May 11, 2014 at 1:53 pm |
  8. chrissy

Lol @ Joey youre really going there?

May 10, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Salut, @ chrissy! Why, yes, I go many dangerous places. You see, Herr Patton-2 knows many esoteric teachings and facts: I always try to glen from his texts any information that I might find useful.
      He is also superb at characterization. Did you know that, at times, I even think that he might be creating your copy...of course, that's impossible, isn't it.

May 10, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Reply
  9. chrissy

Lol @ Joey he IS the derpasstroll. Same as Joseph McCarthy and the same one who's been hijacking all our names. And maybe you are him as well. Guess ill ask banasy that question.

May 10, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ chrissy, the omnipresent troll doesn't do a convincing Joey at this stage of his career, but about two years ago one troll nailed my view of the world. That troll's act was completely together, and he scared me. However, I think that he died.

May 11, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Reply
  10. George Patton-2

Good grief chrissy,you must be a fan of Sarah Palin. What Tea Party lingo! This clown has got to go.
    It's as simple as that!

May 11, 2014 at 8:01 am | Reply
  11. Joseph McCarthy

I'll tell you what gets my goat George,chrissy and RZ get together,text one another and simultaneously post all this anti-American mumble jumble. They think they're funny. These two clowns have got to go.
    It's as simple as that!

May 11, 2014 at 8:05 am | Reply
  12. Patrick

George, Joseph, thank you for sharing that. Boy, you two are right on the money on that one. I hope those two clowns stop all this anti-American mumble jumble. It's getting old and it really makes me angry!
    Both want to invade Russia too. This would be monumental error. But then again, these two are a couple of Tea Partiers. What can we expect from these two jokers?

May 11, 2014 at 8:13 am | Reply
    • Umut

I play sweeper for my high shcool team. We usually just scream out where the other defenders need to be at the time or to tell them to push up or pull back because the sweeper can see more than most of the other players. They are also the last line of defense so they should not push up or fall back to far or they will get beat. Watch some professional soccer (which is hard for this scenario since pro teams usually play flat 4) or watch other high shcool/college teams play.

July 5, 2014 at 11:33 pm | Reply
    • Traci

Wham bam thank you, ma'am, my qutosiens are answered!

July 21, 2014 at 11:59 am | Reply
    • Hamoda

Poeale Isotta con cerchiBonjourj ai du mal e0 oneibtr un feu qui dure plus de trois e0 quatre heures.D of9 peut provenir cette difficulte9? J emploie du bois sec, freane. Tubage inox. Allumage aise9. J observe des points d entre9e d air, au niveau des charnie8res de portes, e0 l emplacement des cercles.Merci.

July 25, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Reply
  13. chrissy

Ah the three schmucks...oops i mean stooges, strike again! I can alwjys bet if i see one of you the rest of your festival of idiot parade will arrive! So Roem is YOUR mother proud of you today? Ya derpasstroll!

May 11, 2014 at 9:06 am | Reply
  14. chrissy

And as much as i admire @ RZ i do NOT text him! Hell i have no idea if he even lives in the US even!

May 11, 2014 at 9:19 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

RZR. I am pretty sure that I know where @ RZ lives, within a reasonably small radius.
      I always admire RZ's thinking, even when we disagree.

May 12, 2014 at 9:18 am | Reply
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

That was a messy typo. The post should not gave started with "RZR."

May 12, 2014 at 9:22 am |
      • ✠RZ✠

We all make typos, just maybe not as sharp looking as yours Joey. And I like to think I live wherever I find myself. Maybe somewhere in America today, maybe somewhere in Europe tomorrow.

May 12, 2014 at 8:18 pm |
  15. chrissy

Invade Russia???? You are so mentally deranged i dont think they've even come up with a name for your illness yet!

May 11, 2014 at 9:24 am | Reply
  16. chrissy

Pretty sure it was the same one he just got mentally sicker and has jacked so many ppl. Now he gets em confused.

May 12, 2014 at 12:37 am | Reply
  17. USAPeasant

Any Peasant worth their salt knows of the conflict of Government vs Journalists. It's as old as history (for what is history?) For me personally, I take the Journalists over the crony sh!lls anyday. But meh, that's not to say the Government ain't without its challenges too, governing any stretch of land in this fallen world is by no means an easy task. Really good old concept of Free Press is the proper way to go.

The Governments of the World shouldn't fear the Free Press, they should fear their own Game of Lies, cause sooner or later you'll get caught. And quite frankly, most the Peasantfolk all ready know when the government, corporations, or the media is spinning bullcrap, its not exactly a challenge to figure out in the Internet Age.

Veritatis Ardente Umbra! Truth Burns Shadow!

May 13, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  18. Rick McDaniel

The world's media has become entirely politically PARTISAN.......and as such, no one believes anything they publish anymore. CNN is one of the WORST offenders of that partisanship. They are so under the control of the Democratic Party, no one can actually believe anything they publish, about government, whether it is the U.S. or any other country.

May 13, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Reply
    • Andrey

I disagree: it is the Democratic party that is under CNN control!

May 14, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Reply
      • Tommy

For a moment, I was about to get MORE white hairs And then I read the full coagevre RMLAO!Still, that's teh kind of Hype one would expect Quesada to deliver, so, yes, you got me too, LOL

July 6, 2014 at 2:04 pm |
      • Nermin

You know, from the inception of tilevesed news, we have received a liberal bias in the reporting of news (from the major networks) that continues to this day. Some of them have even gone so far as to attempt to influence the outcome of a presidential election. The combined audience they reach is about 10 15 million viewers per night.So why do public complain that FOX NEWS is rightwing, and conservative? 3 major networks that have been bastions of liberalism for over 50 years, and reach an audience that dwarfs FOX's on its best day, and NOW we're hearing about bias on the news? And that the worst practioner of this is FOX NEWS??C'mon! Be for real!

July 21, 2014 at 1:27 pm |
      • Ravi

The specialist I would most like to work with is an Obstetrician. I have two ceihdrln of my own and learned quickly that each birthing experience is unique and very different. I think it would be amazing to go to work every day, and never know what will happen. I also love babies! After I had my youngest child the doctor advised me not to have any more ceihdrln so I feel like getting to go to work every day and see babies being born would be magical, but I would also get to go home and sleep peacefully! I am not sure how else to explain my wanting to work with an Obstetrician, but to say I have always thought it would be fascinating. Another specialist I would like to work with is Psychiatrist. I have a family history of mental illness and also addiction and have found all of my psychology classes intriguing. I am captivated by what goes into making each person who they are, and listening to every person’s story. I want to help people that are having struggles with their everyday lives find some kind of peace and happiness.I know we are supposed to pick one or two specialties we wouldn’t want to focus on, but I do not want to work under any surgical specialty. Blood does not make me squeamish but cutting into the body does not intrigue me. Cutting into another person’s skin is not on my list of top jobs I would like to do. I have great respect for neurosurgeons and cardiovascular surgeons, but it not something I want to help with.

July 25, 2014 at 8:19 pm |
    • Mal

Agree. Major news networks have all become peddlers of various ideologies. At this point a normal person will only go to network A to see if it can expose the BS from network B, and vice versa.

And once media has become a full-fledged combatant in today's information wars, it shouldn't be a surprise that it's getting pushed around. US wants to shut down RT, Russia wants to shut down any news from the US, China is building the great (fire)Wall, etc.

May 20, 2014 at 12:15 am | Reply
    • Nabilawahida

Thank you, I've recently been sehriacng for information about this subject for a long time and yours is the best I have came upon till now. But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the source?|What i don't realize is actually how you are now not really a lot more smartly-favored than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

July 7, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Reply
    • Kate

Hi Toby,This global news map has ineedd driven a lot of online conversations last week. It is a good reality check that shows how much is left to do with environmental issues.If not on your reading list already, I highly recommend you to have a look at this , which explores human responses to environmental issues and the issues behind the state of news coverage of climate change. A MUST read.Enjoy, and, as always, thanks for the interesting thoughts and posts,Perrine

July 21, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Reply
    • Vanessa

(I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the crrceot place as I was unable to post it from the Dashboard.)The type of physician I would like to work with is a gerontologist. A gerontologist specializes in caring for the elderly. I have a fondness for our older population. They built out society and lived in a time that many of us can learn from. I would take great pride in caring for them as they age. In my opinion, working with a doctor that shares my passion and excitement would be the ideal work environment.The type of physician I would not be as excited to work with would be a proctologist. To be completely honest, I just don't think I have what it takes to be in that environment. It's important to be professional in any medical environment. I believe my sense of humor would not allow me to be as professional as I would need to be. I would also prefer not to work with ophthalmologist. Several years ago I spent a week with my grandfather at a specialist to have cataracts removed. I found it very difficult to watch the videos of my grandfather's up coming procedures. It wasn't difficult caring for my grandfather after surgery, but I must admit the pre-op was an experience that I would not want to assist in on a daily bases.

July 25, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Reply
  19. bribarian

Having problems telling lies CNN? ;P

May 13, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Reply
  20. Chuck

Simple, return to tried and true journalism, and remain "Neutral" on politics, tell the news
    don't Create it! And don't pick one political side over another, this country is pretty much
    Concervatives and Liberals, taking one side over the other seems unfair

May 14, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Reply
  21. Andrey

Today "free-ish" press is a tool used by oligarchy to manipulate public opinion and to put pressure on politicians and governments. These days the majority of so called "democratic" governments are nothing but puppets to whoever owns mass media. It is not about money and profit anymore, it's all about power! Free mass media, independent of state and government: each politician knows his/her carrier can be destroyed momentarily if he "misbehaves" and does not do what he is told! It is such a joke! Show me the state/government that would be independent of mass media and work for people and not the special interest groups that own press!
    So stop talking about "free press"! It is about time to start talking about free state and government for people, instead of government for mass media magnates!

May 14, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  22. Bob Kebic

(As I posted before) The closest thing to the truth you could hear on major media is the weather report – and the weathermen are usually right only 50% of the time!

May 14, 2014 at 9:04 pm | Reply
  23. Azike clifford

Its so ovious that we cannot find a solution to our problem.

May 16, 2014 at 6:32 am | Reply
  24. natia kekenadze

it's awsome

May 19, 2014 at 7:42 am | Reply
  25. Chuck

The Media is totally in the pocket of Billionaires and the Democratic Party
    Nothing but one sided news, made up stories and confusion.
    Bring back REAL Journalism