May 15th, 2014

What I'm reading: Nixon's 'Wizard plan'

By Fareed Zakaria

"Now Nixon’s preoccupation, even obsession, after being forced from office was to become a respected figure. It wasn’t for him to live out the rest of his life in disgrace. He was determined to become someone people listened to—a senior statesman, a sage," writes Elizabeth Drew in The Atlantic. "And the best way to be considered a sage, Nixon understood, was to establish one’s credentials as an expert in foreign policy, a man known to world leaders. Domestic policy didn’t cut it the same way: Lectures and articles on education or the environment didn’t attract the Brahmins and the business leaders Nixon wanted to attract, didn’t occupy nearly as much space on the stage. No splashy trips."

"In accordance with the Wizard plan, the former president first would write another memoir (because statesmen wrote memoirs), both to make money and to give his own version of events."

“The only thing that can genuinely dilute the power of the new Gas OPEC is the opening up of gas supplies in countries all around the world: in Poland, Ukraine, Bulgaria, France, Israel and any other country sitting on top of significant gas deposits,” writes Ezra Levant in the National Post. “The more shale gas that comes online, the less influence that GECF can have on gas prices — and the less they are able to manipulate the world’s gas supply. The freedom that comes with gas independence is just waiting for so many countries to grasp. It’s a future that can happen. But if the anti-fracking lobby succeeds in scaring more countries away from shale, the future of natural gas is going to look like the past. Only, with Russia’s new gas cartel in the mix, rigging supply and prices, it will soon begin to look even worse.”

“The murky brown smoke that hangs over Beijing and other industrial cities has long presented a health challenge to China,” writes Edmund Newton in the Scientific American. “Unwilling to shut the factories and coal-burning plants that cause pollution, authorities instead are seeking novel solutions. Proposals have included seeding clouds to make rain to wash particulates out of the sky and equipping bicycles with pedal-powered generators that pump fresh air into riders’ helmets. The latest idea comes from Dutch artist Daan Roosegaarde, who hopes to create bubbles of clean air in various pockets around the Beijing.”

“Though Piketty is right that returns to capital have increased in the last few decades, he is too dismissive of the wide-ranging debate among economists concerning the causes,” argues Ken Rogoff for Project Syndicate. “For example, if the main driver is the massive influx of Asian labor into globalized trade markets, the growth model put forth by the Nobel laureate economist Robert Solow suggests that eventually capital stocks will adjust and the wage rate will rise. Retirements from an aging labor force will eventually drive up wages as well. If, on the other hand, labor’s share of income is falling because of the inexorable rise of automation, downward pressures on that share will continue, as I discussed in the context of artificial intelligence a few years ago.”

“Fortunately, there are much better ways to address rich-country inequality while still fostering long-term growth in demand for products from developing countries.”

1. chrissy

What a confusing article! What does fracking, pollution and wage rates have to do with NIXON???

May 15, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  2. krissy...from Arkansas

Nixon was a good man.

May 15, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Reply
  3. chrissy

Nixon was corrupt thats why he had to resign!! Or didnt you catch that part?

May 15, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Reply
    • krissy from Arkansas

Nixon found himself in a bad situation due to his staff. He grew up in a very modest home and worked himself up. I just wonder what the general population and you, miss high and mighty would do in his situation.

May 15, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Reply
  4. The ENTIRE GOP PLATFORM in a single paragraph

The GOP Prayer/Mantra/Solution: Dear God...With your loving kindness, help us to turn all the Old, Sick, Poor, Non-white, Non-christian, Female, and Gay people into slaves. Then, with your guidance and compassion, we will whip them until they are Young, Healthy, Rich, White, Christian, Male, and Straight. Or until they are dead. God...Grant us the knowledge to then turn them into Soylent Green to feed the military during the next "unfunded/off-the-books" war. God...Give us the strength during our speeches to repeatedly yell........TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH!!!..........and........GET RID OF SS AND MEDICARE!!!
    In your name we prey (purposely misspelled, or is it?)........Amen

May 15, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Reply
  5. krissy from Arkansas

Chrissy, Nixon grew up in a very modest upbringing. He was not privileged and had to work for what he got. His staff got him in trouble and in a most compromising position which he didn't ask for. Next time, before you and the rest of the general population come down hard on Mr. Nixon, think about what YOU would do in his steps, miss high and mighty!

May 15, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Reply
  6. chrissy

Oh can it Roem ya derpasstroll! Your imagination is drying up isnt it?

May 15, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Reply
  7. krissy...from Arkansas

Miss high and mighty, there is no Jeff Roem. There was a Nixon. Shame on you for being so harsh on him. Of all the goal. And from a Christian lady too. Shameful!

May 15, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Reply
  8. banasy from Phoenix AZ

Shame on you chrissy. You are sooooo bad!!!

May 15, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Reply
  9. dazzle from Boise Idaho

You can it chrissy. The nerve of this yankee!

May 15, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Reply
  10. RZ from the Bronx

Now chrissy, I don't know who you are or what you are, but I suggest you watch what you say otherwise become the village idiot around here, sister!

May 15, 2014 at 2:21 pm | Reply
  11. Scottish Mama

Lol. Chrissy ran to the hills.

May 15, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Reply
  12. pinkie

Guys, guys, it's ok. Chrissy is a smug, condescending, mean, overbearing little jerk like her side kick, banasy. Neither one of those two name stealing trolls are worth the time of day, as well as RZ.
    In fact, RZ does my errands.

May 15, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  13. pinkie

I just texted RZ. After work, he is to get my groceries, then clean my house, do the windows, then make me supper. He is my errand boy.
    Good job RZ. I just might tip you, little one.

May 15, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Reply
  14. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

Forever alone.

May 15, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Reply
  15. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

Forever needy.

May 15, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Reply
  16. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

I grew up in Boise. True story.

May 15, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Reply
  17. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

I'm projecting my loneliness on to other people again. I suck. Literally.

May 15, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Reply
  18. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

I am of course everyone on here except the original Chrissy. I get off an the warring voices in my head. Pity me. I do.

May 15, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Reply
  19. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

Maybe I'll post some of my diary online again. Have I posted about my encounter with the HAWT doctor?

May 15, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  20. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

I made the perfect pepperoni pizza on the barbecue.p

May 15, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  21. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

Hello, yes. Send me a pepperoni pizza right away.

May 15, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  22. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

I'm jealous of RZ. He makes sense. Can't have someone else smarter than me posting so I'll attack.

May 15, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  23. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

Oh I haven't jacked Joey Isotta-Fraschini yet. The day is pretty young and I DO post nearly 24/7. I'll get him.

May 15, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Reply
  24. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

I suffer from Gynecomastia. Well, actually I like it a LOT.

May 15, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  25. Jeff Roem from DC by way of Oregon and Idaho

Is it bad that I have a tramp stamp that says "Entrance only?"

May 15, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  26. Victor

Someone in blue needs to see a shrink.
    Sicko psychopath.

May 15, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  27. Victor

Of course I'm Victor. Did I fool anyone? They say I'm untreatable unless I commit to a long term stay.

May 15, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Reply
  28. FBI Writing Analyst

The Jeff character in blue has a lot of interior anger and should be under doctor's care. Such aggression!

May 15, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Reply
    • FBI Writing Analyst

I said anal. Subliminal coming to the surface again.

May 15, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  29. Victor

And I'm not going to do that unless I can troll in the hospital defeating the purpose.

May 15, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  30. Victor

I like pretending to call the kettle black. Off to TJI for some more delusional fun.

May 15, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Reply