May 24th, 2014

On GPS Sunday: Soros on nationalism, Fareed on the liberal arts, and the future of TV

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

On GPS this Sunday: The latest on the election in Ukraine and what it means for the East-West showdown there.

Next, is the far right rising in Europe? Billionaire George Soros tells us what to make of the rise of nationalism, and offers his take on the recent developments in Ukraine.

“Putin will try to destabilize Ukraine.  But the Ukrainians, the large majority of Ukrainians, are determined to be independent of Russia,” Soros says. “It won't be easy, because Putin has staked his regime on destabilizing Ukraine, because it's a threat to his regime in Russia. If you have freedom, a free media and so on, and a flourishing economy, that would make his regime unsustainable.”

Also, it’s graduation season! Fareed has some advice for the class of 2014 – and explains why a liberal arts education is still so relevant today.

Then, Fareed asks two top Indian politicians what we should expect from the controversial Narendra Modi, India’s next prime minister.

Finally, Fareed sits down with CEO of Time Warner, Jeff Bewkes, to learn about the future of television.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

This show will have dramatic contrast between the vision of Mr. Zacharia's brilliant commcement address and the realistic future of USA television, which will have to reflect the rapid decline of USA education.

May 24, 2014 at 10:29 am | Reply
  2. chri§§y

Lmao @ Joey! And he wants people to know just how "brilliant" he is too! Ive always enjoyed his articles but...having THREE threads announcing his speech is just too pompous to me.

May 24, 2014 at 11:29 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ chrissy:
      The content of Mr. Zacharia's address deserves quite a few fanfares, and not because the writing can be enjoyed by readers.
      The message is important. USA citizens need to be reminded of the necessity of the "liberal" arts in a good life.

May 24, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Reply
  3. Joseph McCarthy

Is the far right rising in Europe? Even if it is, it would still be an improvement over the current self-serving, Washington loving stooges that now run Europe! The EU sorely needs to be dissolved and how! Without this European subservience, it may not be quite so easy for the right-wing thugs in Washington to carry out their ignominious aggressive policy of conquest!

May 24, 2014 at 11:43 am | Reply
  4. rupert

Good grief joseph, are you a fan of sarah palin. What lingo!
    This clown has got to go.

May 24, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Reply
  5. stuart

I'll tell you what gets me, rupert, you have that bozo at 11:43 spewing out tea party mumble jumble.
    The nerve! The audacity!

May 24, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Reply
  6. Patrick

Rupert, stuart, thank you. You said it all.

May 24, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Reply
  7. bobcat2u

THE WORLD’s 20 SHORTEST BOOKS

20. “The Book of Virtues” by Bill Clinton
    19. “My Plan To Find The Real Killers” by OJ
    Simpson
    18. Human Rights Advances in China
    17. America’s Most Popular Lawyers
    16. Career Opportunities for Liberal Arts Majors
    15. Detroit – A Travel Guide
    14. Different Ways to Spell “Bob”
    13. Dr. Kevorkian’s Collection of Motivational Speeches
    3. “Things I Wouldn’t Do for Money” by Dennis Rodman
    2. The Amish Phone Directory

And the number one World’s Shortest Book:

1. The Engineer’s Guide to Fashion

May 24, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Hi @ bobcat2u. Engineers would do well to understand the relevance of Coco Chanel to society and technology.

May 24, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Reply
      • dazzle

@bobcat, cute. Thank you for your service to this country.
        @JIF do you think Coco would recognize her business today? Picked up one of her iconic lipsticks today. Was shocked to see her nail polishes were $27USD.

May 25, 2014 at 12:17 am |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Bonjour, @ dazzle!
        I don't know what Coco would think today. I don't wear lipstick.

May 25, 2014 at 7:49 am |
      • rupert

I'm glad u don't wear lipstick joey. Becuz that would just be weird. Nice to see dazzle posting. She really is a wonderful person. I have missed reading her posts.

May 25, 2014 at 9:37 am |
  8. chri§§y

If you havent looked around lately @ Joey...there arent many enjoying the "good life!"

May 24, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ chrissy:
      A "good life" does not require a lot of money,
      When I look around, I see many rich people who have very little money. Frequently, they are artists.

May 24, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Reply
  9. rupert

That's right joey. Those artists are rich in the heart and mind.

May 25, 2014 at 9:32 am | Reply
  10. rupert

There's bobcat, Joseph, and chrissy. Three bloggers that add so much to these threads. Thank u three for coming here to post. You add substance. Not the same without you either.

May 25, 2014 at 9:40 am | Reply
  11. rupert

Whatever u do joey, please don't ever stop posting here.

May 25, 2014 at 9:42 am | Reply
  12. chri§§y

Lol @ Joey...i didnt mention money dear...but i am not surprised that you assummed that was what i meant. Most people often jump to that same conclusion immediately. I was referring to quality of life. And the MAIN thing i meant was health and healthcare. And all these terrible things happening in all these countries around the world. If it were me guiding a young person today....i would tell them to study the one thing that motivates you above all others. The thing that will drive you to reach beyond your expectations. The thing that makes you jump out of bed when you wake up instead of crawling! Material possessions mean very little if you have no passion for living!

May 25, 2014 at 9:43 am | Reply
  13. chri§§y

And for the record also @ Joey, i have no problem with Liberal Arts either. My original post was about the necessity of having THREE threads in su ccession, anouncing his speech. In this case less would be more.

May 25, 2014 at 12:38 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Sometimes, @ chrissy, I don't try for elegance.
      Honestly, I think that three or four Rolls-Royce limousines in one's garage are better than just one.
      More is more.

May 25, 2014 at 8:45 pm | Reply
      • Heidy

One of my favorite chrieldn's books. Used to get teary eyed whenever I read this. But the funniest memory I have of it was when, during a teacher training seminar, someone read it, and majority of the participants started grabbing tissue to dab their eyes and blow their noses. Then the reader's voice started breaking cause she was crying, too. It was funny, but also touching.Now I read it to my son. It's called propaganda.:P

July 6, 2014 at 11:01 am |
      • Isaac

Silently or aloud,I can't read this book without bkrneiag into fresh tears everytime. The author is a genius! This book so simple yet it can touch the hearts of both young and old. Also one of my favorite children's books.And yes, fatanghiro, propaganda is right. Ha, ha! I've read it many times to my son, too ;)

July 21, 2014 at 12:39 pm |
      • Miftahul

If I could put a positive spin on this I remvoed my captcha on my blog a month ago and I have not seen one spammy comment. I still moderate comments before I publish them, I just don't assume that my readers are robots.'

July 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm |
  14. ug

Soreass doesn't know anything but money and Pukin has an arrest warrant for Soreass by the way in case you libs didn't know it...

May 25, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  15. j. von hettlingen

George Soros is seven years younger than Henry Kissenger. Yet Henry was more articulate, when he was on Fareed's show two weeks ago. Amazing how the two have different views on Putin!

May 25, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  16. chri§§y

Lol @ Joey...looks like Fareed isnt the only pompous one dear! But hey if thats what makes you bound out of bed in the morning more power to you! I always thought the orchestra was your passion, but maybe i was wrong!

May 25, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  17. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ chrissy, yes, yes, great art, of course...but great money too.

May 26, 2014 at 6:54 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

With all these posts about choosing degrees. I wonder how many USA citizens have spent enough time in Europe to get to know any Europeans more closely than they knew a concierge.
      Most Europeans are very aware that if you gave every USA citizen an earned doctorate in medicine, you still would not have an educated people.

May 26, 2014 at 7:05 am | Reply
  18. chri§§y

MOST citizens in the USA are too busy worrying about how theyre going to provide dinner for their children to be very concerned about how Europeans live. And i seriously doubt they know any "concierge's"! Guess you can stop wondering now!

May 26, 2014 at 11:55 am | Reply
  19. chri§§y

Lol hey @ Joey...my fortune cookie tells me "money is like manure, its only good if you spread it around!"

May 26, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  20. Mariamante

I'm curious to see what Soros think of Modi. If Soros likes him, he's definitely corrupt.

June 13, 2014 at 9:38 am | Reply