America's lowly minimum wage
June 25th, 2014

America's lowly minimum wage

Last week, the IMF urged the U.S. to raise the wage floor, saying it is low by both historical and international standards. The federal minimum wage in America was about 38 percent of the median wage in 2011, one of lowest percentages among the rich countries of the world.

For Fareed's take on how to tackle poverty, watch our latest What in the World.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. HeyHey

The entire population of Canada is 34 million people. The logic trail here is the bare minimum required.

June 25, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Reply
  2. The Entire GOP Platform In A Single Paragraph

The GOP Prayer/Mantra/Solution: Dear God...With your loving kindness, help us to turn all the Old, Sick, Poor, Non-white, Non-christian, Female, and Gay people into slaves. Then, with your guidance and compassion, we will whip them until they are Young, Healthy, Rich, White, Christian, Male, and Straight. Or until they are dead. God...Grant us the knowledge to then turn them into Soylent Green to feed the military during the next "unfunded/off-the-books" war. God...Give us the strength during our speeches to repeatedly yell........TAX CUTS FOR THE RICH!!!..........and........GET RID OF SS AND MEDICARE!!!
    In your name we prey (purposely misspelled, or is it?)........Amen

June 25, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Reply
    • kendrick1

A worker is employed by a company whose only product is Widgets. He and the employer agreed upon a wage for which the employee agreed to work.

A year or so after the worker started, gasoline, energy. and food prices climbed rapidly. The worker found that these increased had minimized the purchasing power of his income, especially with the new child.

He and his fellow employees decided that they should have a wage increase because their wages aren't covering their spending.

The employer had nothing to do with the increase in prices of gasoline, energy, food, and especially a newborn. Yet, the employees are asking the employer to pay for those increases and the new child. How does one justify that the employer should be obligated to pay for those increases and the addition?

Will the employees –with an increase in wages - have a higher production output? If they do increase the output, they had not been giving the employer all for which he was paying, previously!

July 26, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini@

When I was about eleven years old, my father, a school superintendent, awarded me the verbal contract (nepotism) to mow the football field (unglamorous work).
    The hourly wage he assigned to me was shockingly low, and I told him that it was. It was not up in the dollars.
    My father explained to me how little intelligence and education were required to mow grass, and how many other boys he could get to do the job if I didn't want it.
    I later earned some nice checks because of what I learned about the value of work when I was mowing the football field.

June 25, 2014 at 10:42 pm | Reply
  4. chri§§y

That was an awesome story @ Joey!

June 26, 2014 at 3:27 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini@

Did you really drive to New York and start the trip back the next day?
      That's a lot of driving.

June 26, 2014 at 10:53 am | Reply
  5. Denny Rivera

Low minimum wage, yet people still work for it. You see, I don't think in this country people were meant to stay in those minimum wage jobs...they are stepping stones. junior jobs. anyone who stays in it and tries to make a living deserves to make that low a wage.

June 29, 2014 at 8:25 am | Reply
  6. Shaun

I'm sorry but the economy evolves it doesn't stay the same throughout history. just look at the past in the 50's an average house cost anywhere between 12 & 15 thousand dollars. Now in todays world an average house cost between $139,000 to $150,000 depending on location. So like I had mention the economy evolves, cost of living raises then so should minimum wage. it is that simple, lets stop obscuring it saying that it wont work out because its not fair to most big multi-billion dollar companies. I'm sorry but we the people of America is what made America not these businesses.

July 28, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Reply