June 28th, 2014

Where America Works: A closer look at Houston

Watch"Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

Houston was the first city to regain all of the jobs it lost in the 2008 recession. In fact, it actually created more than two jobs for every one that it lost.

That job creation has been a driving force behind the changing face of Houston, which in the words of current Mayor Annise Parker has been trying to fill those jobs by attracting “some of the best and the brightest from around the world.”

Today, one in five Houstonians was born in another country. To find out more about how Gulfton has been at the center of the changes in the city, watch the video clip and tune into a new segment starting this Sunday on GPS: Where America Works.

Post by:
Topics: Economy • United States

1. Mike from DENVER

We have DENVER Electronics and we are the BEST. Simply the BEST.

June 29, 2014 at 3:04 am | Reply
  2. chri§§y

Lol @ Mike thats very refreshing that you love your job so much. And a job in Electronics IS simply the best. I totally agree.

June 29, 2014 at 4:06 am | Reply
  3. bobcat2u

We spend the first twelve months of our children's lives teaching them to walk and talk, and the next Twenty-four years telling them to sit down and shut up!

June 29, 2014 at 11:45 am | Reply
    • dazzle

@bc, Happy Sunday and your statement is so true. On Houston, a friend of mine landed a government job there and loves living in the city. Enjoy reading about US cities that are starting to recover.

June 29, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

Hello dazzle and Happy Sunday to you as well. Houston is definitely one of the success stories of the phoenix being reborn from the ashes of the recession. As a matter of fact, Texas is being able to boast seven of the fifteen fastest growing cities. Rick Perry is not one of my favorite politicians, but he has obviously done something right in order to entice all the business to his state. Maybe the rest of the depressed states should look into it.

June 29, 2014 at 1:27 pm |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

I am so delighted to read Mayor Parker's phrase, "the best and the brightest from around the world," that if I freely expressed my elation, I would gush.
    That phrase will be read very negatively by some: it does not state that a job must be made for every good or bad worker, and it does not prevent a better qualified foreigner's being hired in preference to the employment of a citizen born in the USA.
    What Houston's mayor said is based on the intensely compet-
    itive dynamic of any flourishing economy.
    Hooray for Houton!

June 29, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Reply
  5. bobcat2u

Three cowboys are sitting around a campfire, out on a lonesome Texas prarie, each with the bravado for which cowboys are famous. A night of tall tales begins.

The first one says, "I must be the meanest, toughest cowboy there is. Why, just the other day a bull got loose in the corral and gored six men before I wrestled it to the ground by the horns with my bare hands."

The second cowboy can't stand to be bested. "Why that's nothing. I was walking down the trail yesterday and a fifteen-foot rattlesnake slid out from under a rock and made a move for me. I grabbed that snake with my bare hands, bit its head off and sucked the poison down in one gulp. And I'm still here today."

The third cowboy remained silent by the fire, while stirring the coals with his hands.

June 29, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Reply
  6. bobcat2u

There was this Texas cowboy and he had been riding his horse across the great plains on his way to California nonstop. Both him and his horse had gone days without sleep. As he rode in to one of the few towns on his trip he decided to stop in at the saloon and get a shot of wiskey to satisfy his thirst. As he got off his horse he realized that since his horse had not slept in a few days it might fall asleep now that they had finally stoped and it might take a few hours to wake his horse up.

He grabed this young indian who just happened to be walking by and told him of his predicament, he then asked the indian if he could run back and forth in front of his horse to keep it awake while he was tending his thirst in the bar. The indian agreed.

After a few drinks the cowboy forgot about the trip as he made friends and drank down round after round in the bar. As the hours past a cowboy entered the front door of the sallon and asked who owned the brown and white horse out front.

The cowboy who owned the horse said "I do so what about it?"

Well replied the cowboy you left your INGIN' RUNNIN'.....

June 29, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Reply
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ bobcat2u, hello.
    That engine-running story may take you all the way to the SCOTUS, but

June 29, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Sorry, error...
      @ bobcat, the rhree-cowboys story will be used every time I have to psych myself up to do something that requires toughness.

June 29, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Hello Joey, good to see you.
      Well, you know how politically correct I try to be all the time. They may want to lump my "INGIN" reference in with the argument over the use of REDSKINS for the Washington team.

June 29, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Reply
  8. fernace

Yeah hurray for Tx good economy! Also good to see my old blog pals bobcat & JIF! We love Annise in H-Town & I love bobcats cowboy jokes! Have a great week, y'all!!

June 30, 2014 at 2:58 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ Fernace,
      Great to see you.
      JIF

June 30, 2014 at 4:32 am | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Wow, hello fernace. It has really been a long time. Hope all is well with you.

June 30, 2014 at 11:02 am | Reply
    • J.R.

Well look who's here. Haven't read a post from fernace in a very long time. I see they still let tramps in. On prison break are you? Why don't go back to your cage honey? Come back out in twenty years, when you're on parole.
      Have a nice evening.

June 30, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Reply
  9. palintwit

If I were Sarah Palin I would take a bath with my favorite electric appliances.

June 30, 2014 at 10:01 am | Reply
    • J.R.

Is that a fact, palintwit? You sound lonely to me. I think you may want to go to bed; with your three speed. Have fun sweetie.

June 30, 2014 at 6:47 pm | Reply
  10. bobcat2u

A juggler, driving to his next performance, is stopped by the police. "What are those machetes doing in your car?" asks the cop.

"I juggle them in my act."

"Oh, yeah? Says the doubtful cop. "Let's see you do it.” The juggler gets out and starts tossing and catching the knives. Another man driving by slows down to watch.

"Wow" says the passer-by. "I'm glad I quit drinking. Look at the test they're giving now!

June 30, 2014 at 11:00 am | Reply
  11. chri§§y

Awesome lol @ bobcat! Love your funnies! And so does my daughter who i finally brought back home!

June 30, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

@ chrissy

I am sooo happy for you that you've finally got your daughter back home. Tell her hello from a fellow Michigander.

June 30, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Reply
  12. chri§§y

Lol i did! She laughed.

June 30, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Reply
  13. J.R.

You mean there's two of you? Oh chrissy, that's like having to go to the John two times.

June 30, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Hmmm sounds like a severely mental moron to me!!!! Arent you up past your bedtime?

June 30, 2014 at 7:06 pm | Reply
  15. chri§§y

And FYI @ J. R. i have two daughters so i guess to your way of thinking theres 3 of me! This one happens to be terminal though and she wanted to come back to michigan so she could die at home! Happier now are ya? Moron!

June 30, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

@ chrissy

I am so sorry. I was not aware that she is terminal. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

June 30, 2014 at 10:09 pm | Reply
    • J.R.

@chrissy. This is truly bad news. I am so sorry to hear about your loved one. This kind of pain is beyond words.
      My heart goes out to her and the rest of the family.
      Good bye chrissy.

July 1, 2014 at 12:23 am | Reply
  16. Ferhat Balkan

I have a friend who bought me a cowboy hat from Houston. She likes to travel a lot, so she buys trinkets and gifts every time she goes. I tried the cowboy hat for a day (I promised her I would) driving, visiting friends etc. I have to admit, I looked a bit silly and more like a tourist. So no more promises.

June 30, 2014 at 9:37 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

That's funny Ferhat. Question : What part of the country were you parading your hat ? If it's in the northern areas, that would be the equivalent of people coming down here to the Gulf Coast and wearing wingtip shoes and socks with their shorts. And yes that is pretty common.

June 30, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Reply
  17. bobcat2u

Cowboy Joe was telling his fellow cowboys back on the ranch about his first visit to a big-city church.

"When I got there, they had me park my old truck in the corral," Joe began.

"You mean the parking lot," interrupted Charlie, a worldly fellow.

"I walked up the trail to the door," Joe continued.

"The sidewalk to the door," Charlie corrected him.

"Inside the door, I was met by this dude," Joe went on.

"That would be the usher," Charlie explained.

"Well, the usher led me down the chute," Joe said.

"You mean the aisle," Charlie said.

"Then, he led me to a stall and told me to sit there," Joe continued.

"Pew," Charlie retorted.

"Yeah," recalled Joe. "That's what that pretty lady said when I sat down beside her."

June 30, 2014 at 10:16 pm | Reply
  18. bobcat2u

Two cowboys walk into a roadhouse to wash the trail dust from their throats. They stand at the bar, drinking their beers and talking quietly about cattle prices.

Suddenly a woman at the table behind them begins to cough weakly. After a minute or so it becomes apparent that she's in real distress, and the cowboys turn to look at her.

"Kin ya swaller?" asks one of the cowboys. The woman shakes her head in the negative.

"Kin ya breathe?" asks the other. The woman, beginning to turn a bit blue, shakes her head No again.

The first cowboy walks over to her, lifts up the back of her skirt, yanks down her panties, and slowly runs his tongue from the back of her thigh up to the small of her back. This shocks the woman into a violent spasm; the obstruction flies out of her mouth, and she begins to breathe again.

The cowboy walks back over to the bar and takes a drink of his beer. His partner says, "Ya know, I'd heard of that there Hind Lick Maneuver, but I never seen anybody do it."

June 30, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Reply
  19. bobcat2u

It was spring in the old west. The cowboys rode the still snow-choked trails looking for cattle that survived the winter. As one cowboy's horse went around the narrow trail, it came upon a rattlesnake warming itself in the spring sunshine.

The horse reared and the cowboy drew his six-gun to shoot the snake. "Hold on there, partner," said the snake, "don't shoot – I'm an enchanted rattlesnake, and if you don't shoot me, I'll give you any three wishes you want."

The cowboy decided to take a chance. He knew he was safely out of the snake's striking range. He said, "Okay, first, I'd like to have a face like Clark Gable, then, I'd like a build like Arnold Schwarzenegger, and finally, I'd like se xual equipment like this here horse I'm riding."

The rattlesnake said, "All right, when you get back to the bunk house you'll have all three wishes." The cowboy turned his horse around and galloped at full speed all the way to the bunk house. He dismounted on the run and went straight inside to the mirror.

Staring back at him in the mirror was the face of Clark Gable. He ripped the shirt off his back and revealed bulging, rippling muscles, just like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Really excited now, he tore down his jeans, looked at his crotch and shouted, "Oh my God, I was riding the mare!"

June 30, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  20. bobcat2u

A young cowboy from Wyoming goes off to college, but half way through the semester, he has foolishly squandered all his money. He calls home.

"Dad," he says, "You won't believe what modern education is developing! They actually have a program here in Laramie that will teach our dog, ol' Blue how to talk!"

"That's amazing," his Dad says. "How do I get Ol' Blue in that program?"

"Just send him down here with $1,000" the young cowboy says. "I'll get him in the course." So, his father sends the dog and $1,000. About two-thirds through the semester, the money again runs out. The boy calls home.

"So how's Ol' Blue doing, son," his father asks.

"Awesome, Dad, he's talking up a storm," he says, "but you just won't believe this they've had such good results they have started to teach the animals how to read!"

"Read!" says his father, "No kidding! How do we get Blue in that program?"

"Just send $2,500, I'll get him in the class." The money promptly arrives.

But the young cowboy has a problem. At the end of the year, his father will find out the dog can neither talk, nor read. So he shoots the dog. When he arrives home at the end of the year, his father is all excited.

"Where's Ol' Blue? I just can't wait to see him read something and talk!"

"Dad," the boy says, "I have some grim news. Yesterday morning, just before we left to drive home, Ol' Blue was in the living room, kicked back in the recliner, reading the Wall Street Journal, like he usually does. Then he turned to me and asked, 'So, is your daddy still messing' around with that little redhead who lives in town?'"

The father exclaimed, "I hope you shot that son of a bit ch before he talks to your Mother!"

"I sure did, Dad!"

"That's my boy!"

June 30, 2014 at 10:31 pm | Reply
  21. bobcat2u

Alright Fareed Zakaria / GPS / CNN, It's time to give me some fresh material to work with. I done used this one up !!!!!!

June 30, 2014 at 10:35 pm | Reply
  22. chri§§y

Lol and a very fine job you did too @ bobcat! Matter of fact they should hire you!

June 30, 2014 at 11:19 pm | Reply
  23. chri§§y

And @ bobcat...Melissa says to tell you that you are JUST what the doctor ordered. And now she knows why i adore you so much.

June 30, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Well thank you and Melissa. That really means a lot to me. Or like they would say down here, " Aw shucks ma'am, ah was just trahin to make ya'll feel bettah. Thankee just the same.

June 30, 2014 at 11:33 pm | Reply
  24. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ chrissy:
    I just reread these posts carefully enough to learn about your daughter's illness. I am terribly sorry.
    Joey

July 1, 2014 at 8:19 am | Reply
  25. chri§§y

Aw shucks you guys lol. It is greatly appreciated thank you. I think a few of you may have talked to her before on here tho. She came on a while ago when i had my heart attack.

July 1, 2014 at 10:04 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ chrissy,
      I remember well that one of your daughters relieved us with reports when you were ill.

July 1, 2014 at 11:53 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Chrissy,
      You know my feelings already. I am here for you. I understand.

I am as close as a few keystrokes.

Much love being sent to you and Melissa.

July 2, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Reply
  26. chri§§y

And yes @ Joey i really did drive to New York and start the trip back the next day! And you aint kidding...it was alot of driving! I dont know how truck drivers do it! Sorry i just read that question to me from you on a previous thread. It wouldve been a beautiful trip were it not for all the pylons on the freeway making it one lane! THAT part is quite nervewsacking!

July 1, 2014 at 11:41 am | Reply
  27. chri§§y

Oops meant "nervewracking" sorry.

July 1, 2014 at 11:46 am | Reply
  28. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

We're having another beautiful day in NYC. I walked a lot after my gym workout.
    So far, on the first day of July, there have been no unpleasantly warm daya.
    This must be Global Cooling.
    That's good, because my friend Sheryl needs an excuse to acquire some new fur coats.

July 1, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Sheryl said that she might have a long coat made from polar bears...something for evening wear.
      "That's for rugs, honey," I told her.

July 1, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Reply
  29. dazzle

@chrissy, I am so sorry. You are all in our prayers. Miracles do happen. Good Morning to all.

July 1, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  30. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

I am very disappointed that the Supreme Court decided against a woman's right to birth control in the decision announced yesterday.
    It is cheaper to provide the pill to all women than to support their children with taxes.

July 1, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

@JIF
      The republicans call this a victory for religious freedom, but how does that translate to the freedoms of the everyday person ? In many discussions I've had, some feel this a right vs. left issue, ie all those on the right, including women, are pleased with this decision, while all those on the left, especially women, are against it. In my many years, I've found political leanings were pretty evenly divided when it comes to their devoutness and adherence to any given religious views, such as birth control and what not.
      That being said, I find it very hard to believe that all women on the left or right are pleased with this decision, just as I find it hard to believe that all women on the left or right feel this is a slam against their freedoms. But as always, it's JMHO

July 1, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Reply
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ bobcat2u,
        As usual, your comment is very considerate of differet viewpoints on an issue that quickly becomes flaming in conversation.
        I sometimes fail to maintain my basic timidity when discussing rights of using one's body with freedom.
        I would defend any person's right to practice any religion freely, including inducing snakebites or slaughtering chickens to amuse demons. Of course, I applaud Episcopalians for the quality of their service music and their theology, and I loved the Roman mass when it was always in Latin.
        I don't think that religious freedom encompasses imposition of one person's values on other persons.
        When I was young, birth control was not so hotsy-totsy, and everyone knew that if an abortion were to be performed, it would be tricky to obtain and relatively costly. Youngsters were more careful back then.

July 1, 2014 at 6:27 pm |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

During the 1950s, birth control control did not contribute the same stimulus to the economy that it does today.
        Quite often it was as cheap as the sentence, "OK, stop right there."

July 1, 2014 at 6:39 pm |
      • bobcat2u

@ Joey
        I had to reread your post about slaughtering chickens. I thought at first it read "choking" chickens, which made me laugh. Then I got my mind out of the gutter and read it again.
        But anyway, I guess the objection I have is why they take an issue that is, and and very much should be, a personal choice for a woman, and make it partisan. As far as I have seen, most women don't want to be dictated to when it comes to their bodies, no matter what their affiliation. I mean, I don't want to be dictated to and I really can't believe others do either. In fact I've found that those who like to dictate to, don't like being dictated to.

July 1, 2014 at 8:30 pm |