July 5th, 2014

Where America Works: How Sioux Falls is creating jobs

Watch"Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

The national unemployment rate, which is hovering around 6 percent, may be the lowest it’s been in more than 5 years, but about 10 million Americans are still without jobs. What’s more, only 63 percent of working age Americans have a job or are looking for one – the lowest level of workforce participation since 1978.

But there's a city that’s spurring economic development...and it has an unemployment rate that is about half the national average. To find out more about what has been behind the job boom for Sioux Falls, watch the video clip and tune into the second part of the Where America Works segment this Sunday on GPS.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

"He who carries his own light need never fear the darkness."
    –Martin Buber

July 6, 2014 at 6:51 am | Reply
  2. stuart

Will u be a ghost after u die? Take the ghost test:
    1. What is your gender?
    2. What is your DOB and place of birth?
    3. What time were u born?
    4. Are u religious?
    5. Are u married.
    6. Do u sleep light or heavy?
    7. What color are your eyes?
    8. How many siblings do u have?
    Submit to histamine@yahoo. Com

July 6, 2014 at 7:54 am | Reply
  3. dazzle

OMG! I am going to be a Master Guro Ghost.

July 6, 2014 at 8:04 am | Reply
    • dazzle

@My troll, now you are being too silly. Today is your day for trolling.

July 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini@

I do not understand. What is a vortex funnel ghost? That will be my classification.

July 6, 2014 at 8:06 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

No, My Troll, I understood the test results perfectly, and thank you, Mrs. Eileen J. Garrett: that's exactly what I wanted to be.

July 6, 2014 at 11:44 am | Reply
  5. chrissy

I will be a poltergeist. And in Flint Michigan too.
    so is this really true?

July 6, 2014 at 8:10 am | Reply
  6. Retired Military

I took that so called ghost test. After my time comes I will be an Ectoplasm ghost. I wonder what that will be like.

July 6, 2014 at 8:17 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ Retired Military:
      Ectoplasm, huh? That's like...vomit.

July 6, 2014 at 11:30 am | Reply
    • Retired Military

Too funny. More like the Grimm Reaper trolltoid

July 6, 2014 at 5:52 pm | Reply
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Well, that's how they do it, you know. Physical mediums, except Mrs. Piper. They swallow gauze and then, in darkness...one can form children, puppies, hands, and busts, all from ectoplasm, or moist gauze, probably with a high content of alcohol.

July 6, 2014 at 8:10 pm |
  7. Ferhat Balkan

I am going to be a funnel ghost. Whatever that is. It even told me the year. 2028.

July 6, 2014 at 8:20 am | Reply
  8. George Patton

Good grief! Orbs? Orbs? What is an orbs ghost? I will have that classification.

July 6, 2014 at 8:23 am | Reply
  9. banasy@

Darn. A shadow ghost. I wonder what that will be like.

July 6, 2014 at 8:25 am | Reply
  10. Allan Kinsman@

Hmmm. I will be an apparition ghost.

July 6, 2014 at 8:37 am | Reply
  11. chri§§y

Havin fun Roem?

July 6, 2014 at 9:57 am | Reply
  12. bobcat2u

And I will be the ghosts of George and Marion Kirby, friends of Cosmo Topper.

July 6, 2014 at 11:25 am | Reply
  13. bobcat2u

Stumpy Grinder and his wife Martha were from Portland, Maine. Every year they went to the Portland Fair and every year Stumpy said, "Ya know, Mahtha, I'd like ta get a ride in that theah aihplane." And every year, Martha would say "I know, Stumpy, but that aihplane ride costs ten dollahs .. and ten dollahs is ten dollahs."

So one year Stumpy says, "By Jeebers, Mahtha, I'm 71 yeahs old, and if I don't go this time I may nevah go." Martha replies, "Stumpy, that there aihplane ride is ten dollahs ... and ten dollahs is ten dollahs."

So the pilot overhears then and says, "Folks, I'll make you a deal. I'll take you both up for a ride. If you can stay quiet for the entire ride and not say ONE WORD, then I won't charge you. But just ONE WORD and it's ten dollars."

They agree and up they go... the pilot does all kinds of twists and turns, rolls and dives, but not a word is heard. He does it one more time, and there is still no word... so he lands.

He turns to Stumpy as they come to a stop and says, "By golly, I did everything I could think of to get you to holler out, but you didn't."

And Stumpy replies "Well, I was gonna say something when Mahtha fell out ... but ten dollahs is ten dollahs."

July 6, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Reply