July 18th, 2014

Fareed Zakaria answers your questions

Watch"Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

Fareed Zakaria answers readers’ questions on the U.S. role in the world, whether Iraq would have been more stable if Saddam Hussein hadn’t been removed from power, the NSA’s spying on Germany and whether the borders in the Middle East are outdated.

Do you believe there’s a shift toward isolationism in the United States?

I think there’s a shift toward less involvement and engagement in the world. Some of this is unfortunate. It shows up, for example, in the suspicion towards trade, towards immigrants. But for the most part, I think Americans retain a healthy openness to the world and a healthy openness to America being engaged in the world.

When people shout about isolationism, it’s worth remembering that the United States – with the support of the American people – still maintains thousands of troops in foreign countries, in dozens of bases around the world. We have 60 treaty alliances. In many of them we’re committed to the defense of these countries – from Japan, to South Korea, to Germany. That doesn’t seem to me the story of a country that is isolationist and has withdrawn from the world.

But it’s true that from certain heights, especially after 9/11 – where the United States was, in my view, too engaged, and too engaged in the details and nation building operations in many, many parts of the world – we’re drawing back, and that draw back has some public support.

So, I’m not ready to wave the flag of isolationism, I don’t see it. But I do think in some areas there are some troubling signs. The part that worries me most is about trade and people, because the thing that has historically made the United States so strong has been its ability to open itself up to ideas, to people, and then to adapt and adjust and become stronger from that.

Watch the video for all his responses.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Tom

Fareed,
    What can be done to make the dream come true for the delightful young woman who appeared on your show today – December 13, 2015? What a wonderful addition that she would make to our country. Her intelligence, kindness and obvious ambition to really make a positive mark in the world was obvious and heartwarming.

December 13, 2015 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  2. david frazier

I have long believed and was taught that charity begins at home.being a chairitable person I try to help when ever I can, but it is very hard for me to support bringing in thousands of refugees and giving them money, housing , medical care, education food stamps and other benefits,When we have several million homeless vets and others already in this country that are citizens born in this country and can get no help but our elected officals would rather take care of refugees to try and build a bigger voter base vetrans waiting for months for medical care,people that faught for our country its soo sad

December 15, 2015 at 12:03 am | Reply
  3. PUTHIA

I am a fan of Fareed Zakariah, the one and only fare and fearless media personality.
    I wonder why all the forces of the civilised world fail to defeat ISIL.
    I never heard anybody talking about the most important and vital issue – who is arming ISIL!
    My plan for defeating this cancer is:
    Stop bombing Syria
    Stop provoking the militants
    Isolate the terrorist owned countries / territories
    Cut off the supply of weapons, arms and ammunitions, and sophisticated gadgets to these territories. Cut off channels of trade in and out, close the roads and other routes.
    Stop all imports and exports into and out of these territories
    Even if they have money, it is of no use if no weapons and gadgets are sold to them. I do not think they have the knowhow and materials to produce sophisticated weapons of their own. They cannot survive for long without outside supplies and support. With this strategy ISIL will wither away within one year

December 22, 2015 at 7:05 am | Reply
    • Captain Farhat SHAMIM

The state of Israel is 80% ocupied Palastinian land which United Nation state is illigal & must be returned to the orignal owners. Why is it that United States still support Israel. Will it ever change.

May 2, 2016 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  4. Peter Simmons

Hello Fareed,
    I am generally a fan of yours...I see your reporting as insightful, and truthful. However, today I watched "The Long Road to Hell", and was VERY DISAPPOINTED. You touched on the reasons re: WHY the US invaded Iraq, but there was a GLARING OMMISSION here. You failed to mention that the REAL REASON the US invaded Iraq was to GRAB THEIR OIL!!! Dick Cheney, at the behest of HALLIBURTON, convinced George Bush that there were "Weapons of Mass Destruction" there. Bush, a likeable but goofy, semi-literate, moron figured that Cheney must know what he was talking about, and followed Cheney's STRONG ADVICE to invade ASAP. And THAT'S why we're where we are today. Of course, it's not too hard to figure out why you failed to mention all this...the OIL companies are major suppliers of CNN's revenue stream, and we all know the old adage: DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU!

December 27, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  5. Dillawer K.

Fareed, I have long been your fan for your reporting on various issues in the US and around the world. Lately however I am beginning to see how you are congregating to the camps of the general media and sorry to say that is not a compliment. Your gradual move to be just like all others will destroy the strong and fair reporting foundation which you build GPS on and we respect. You more than anyone knows that the top three issues that are destroying Middle East now are ISIS, Sectarian violence and the Kurdish nation. You have covered ISIS and Sectarianism numerous times but you are avoiding the Kurdish nation. I always thought that you are above the average (directed) media, don't let me and many of your fans down. See if you can bring the subject of the Kurds out to light in the familiar fashion you and GPS is know for. eliminate doubters about the direction you are heading.

January 8, 2016 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  6. Anupam Choubey

Islam is good and teaches brotherhood then why SO MUCH VOILANCE in Islam? Majority of violence in world attributed to Islam? Were and what in Quran propagate this avalanche of violence? How a law abiding Muslim become a Jihadi? There is Fundamentally wrong in it, whole history of Islam is replete with blood shade? What is your view and how you stop it?

Anupam

February 13, 2016 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  7. Al Monroe

Can countries become a Democracy without Capatalism (free-market system).

February 19, 2016 at 7:27 pm | Reply
  8. Jim Richards

One angle on the Donald Trump personality and manner that I have not heard anyone discuss so far is the mental health angle. As far as I can tell, he fits about 85-90% of the definition of Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Check it out: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/definition/con-20025568 and also http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-20025568 .

March 13, 2016 at 1:45 pm | Reply
  9. Enrique K

I viewed the Sunday Mar 13 GPS from overseas and would like to add that the guest who appeared with the 4 question list that psychologically profiled Trump supporters as being basically authoritarian and coming from authoritarian households was about the lamest thing I have seen come out of this program. I am not a Trump supporter but this was laughable, especially the part where Zakaria seemed to be agreeing with it.

March 13, 2016 at 8:06 pm | Reply
  10. gospel truth

Fareed how long will the American people have to put with the media spewing Human Right Abuse issues in Cuba. When America as we speak is subsidizing billions of dollars to the Israel.

March 21, 2016 at 11:25 am | Reply
  11. Buddhadev Roychoudhury

Could we have Farid's book choices covered in his GPS programs on CNN for last 3 months, please? Thanks.

March 26, 2016 at 1:26 pm | Reply
  12. Tim Scott

I would appreciate Fareed's thoughts on a very interesting take on the terrorists who committed the recent violent attacks in Brussels - found in the April 8, 2016 edition of Newsweek and written by Kurt Eichenwald. I respect Fareed's opinions on many issues and I would be interested to know if he agrees with Eichenwald's take on the "Pop-Jihad Killers" as he refers to them.

April 2, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Reply
  13. lasagnamaker

Fareed had a great analysis on April 3rd GPS regarding the lessons learned from Brussels terrorist attack. While I am in complete agreement with his analysis, I feel he stopped short of pointing out how wrong the focus of the politicians of the free world (especially US is. We are still looking for answers to this global phenomenon by scrutinizing the Islamic world. When will we learn to look at ourselves in the mirror and thinking that perhaps we need to rethink. Our way of life and values may not be the only right way. Let us take a deep breath before shoving our ideals down everyone's throat.

April 3, 2016 at 1:35 pm | Reply
    • Private Fiducial

Are joking? he is Islamic near terrorist without a weapon was used yet

April 18, 2016 at 5:06 pm | Reply
  14. Private Fiducial

Fareed clearly knows (or he is the most stupid journalist alive) that the only way he can hold a job at CNN is lying about anything possible to pandering CNN and administrations. He only touch a little bit of truth only when he (muslin or India) relations was somehow attached. I dislike FOX for openly to spit the venom, but I really hate more when Fareed do it with code and undercover, and so eager to kiss a Jewish Butto, just like his antsier kissed U.K button. Wake up CNN viewer, he is worst journalist, and there is no place for him on the national meida

April 18, 2016 at 5:03 pm | Reply
  15. Nancy Pickering

Dear Fareed,
    I am a huge fan – you are head and shoulders above everyone on TV. I appreciate your global perspective and your intelligence. I have this crazy notion that Donald Trump might be a Scientologist, only because he does not defend himself when attacked...he attacks back. This is one of the many tenets in L. Ron Hubbard's philosophy.. I dislike everything Donald Trump stands for. Can you ask one of CNN's investigative reporters to look into this? Perhaps Drew________ who investigated the Veterans Administration scandal. It's a longshot, but maybe we can stop Trump
    Thank you, Nancy Pickering!

May 9, 2016 at 11:35 pm | Reply
  16. Herb Dreyer

In Sunni Islam, as in most great religions, there is a prophecy concerning the Day of God. This prophetic statement concerns the return of the Spirit of God and the renewal of Islam. Do you think Sunnis know, generally, that this Spirit of God is known to be another name for Jesus Christ? Check with your religious scholars. Having this knowledge available to, say, peoples of the West, could be enlightening. Thank you for your important voice.

May 26, 2016 at 10:34 am | Reply