September 27th, 2014

Rouhani on the case of Jason Rezaian

Fareed speaks with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani about the case of Washington Post correspondent Jason Rezaian. Watch the full interview this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN.

Mr. President, I have one last question, and it's one I've asked you before.  But please indulge me. Jason Rezaian, the correspondent for The Washington Post, and his wife, have both been arrested. Nobody knows what the charges are.  Nobody knows why. Your own foreign minister has said that Jason is a good reporter. People have attested to you personally that he is a decent person.

I know you say it's with the judiciary and you can't comment. My question is, I'm trying to get at this a different way. Can you give us hope that this case will be dealt with fairly, with leniency and speedily – that this will be resolved quickly and that Jason will be able to come back to the United States?

Listen. Leniency and everything that you just went over, these are topics to be thought about or spoken of after the final judgment is rendered. And an individual who is brought up on any charges or detained or questioned, all of the different steps must be in accordance to the constitutions and the laws of the country.

If that individual has not committed any crimes, it will be determined that he or she or they are innocent and they will be freed.  And it will be announced openly.

So we must not prematurely express opinions about a case file that hasn't reached the court yet.  Sometimes the minister for judicial affairs sometimes does inquire a member of my cabinet, sometimes does inquire as to the conditions of those who are detained from time to time.

Will you make an inquiry from your office about their condition? It would, I think it would carry some weight.

Generally speaking, for everyone, what I said goes for everyone, not targeted towards a certain case file or a certain individual.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Zandie

So just what kind of crime does an American reporter and his wife commit in Iran? Did they kiss in public or maybe they did not bow to the supreme Iranian leader.

September 28, 2014 at 7:56 am | Reply
    • Media Propaganda

Democrats and Republicans are promoting the same ISIS Hype across MSNBC, CNN, and FOX!

We need an alternative to Fear, War, and Surveillance in 2016.

Ignore the Democrats, Republicans, and Mainstream Media.

September 28, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Reply
    • elle909

It is totally wrong for FZ to suggest for Iran to join the US in the war against ISIS .That would cause a definite brake between the US and all other golf countries that are presently in the coalition.
      Why would FZ bring this up? one would think he knows better.Seems there is more to it then what meet's the eye. FZ coming up with the suggestion on his own?Can there be another reason?may be on behalf of the administration?trying to get the idea out in to the public domain,so when the subject comes up again ,Americans would have been all ready exposed to the idea,coming from FZ'S it has credibility.Its a long shot ,but it want be beyond FZ to cooperate on something like this with the administration.

September 29, 2014 at 2:16 am | Reply
    • j. von hettlingen

No doubt the hardliners in Iran are responsible for Jason Rezaian's plight. They want to embarrass Rouhani ahead of his trip to the US to appear at the UN General Assembly, knowing he would have to answer unwelcome questions from American journalists. The hardliners have a hard time to accept Rouhani's reaching out to the West and have tried to sabotage his efforts to reach a nuclear deal with the West.

September 29, 2014 at 8:25 am | Reply
  2. George patton

We all know that Iran will never change. What a joke of a country.

September 28, 2014 at 7:59 am | Reply
  3. Joseph McCarthy

That's true George. And this naive couple thought they could live in that sewer of a country. They are jailed for spying. How dare they insert dancing on the internet. But this kind of false imprisonment is nothing unusual in Iran. They even jail their own Iranian reporters for nothing. And yes, some have been beaten.
    But hey, with a government like this, who needs the Shah. This is so much better.

September 28, 2014 at 8:18 am | Reply
  4. «RZ»

Good post George, Joseph. I'll tell you what gets my goat. Here you have innocent people, and I'm talking about Iranian victims as well, who are jailed for absolutely nothing. Yet, you read these troll posts defending Iran. Such vomit! Iran is just showing their true colors. What a sick government there.

September 28, 2014 at 8:23 am | Reply
  5. chri§§y

RZ, you nailed it! Thank you.

September 28, 2014 at 8:25 am | Reply
  6. stuart

Just look at that smirk. Dirty, stinking, Iranian towel head!

September 28, 2014 at 8:28 am | Reply
  7. chri§§y

Active imagintation today Roem! All posts above are his work! DO NOT STEAL MY NAME AGAIN YA SCHMUCK!.

September 28, 2014 at 8:53 am | Reply
  8. chri§§y

And I don't care much for Iran either.

September 28, 2014 at 9:12 am | Reply
  9. Jeff Roem

STFU chrissy. Nobody wants to hear your stupid comments either you dumb blonde. Don't ever address me again. Ever. Moron!

September 28, 2014 at 9:36 am | Reply
    • Linda

You sound fun.

September 28, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Reply
  10. Akhos

What an awful country! Per capita, they have more of their citizens locked up than any other country; their para-military police are known to kill suspects who are in the act of surrendering; they execute persons whose convictions rest on very shaky grounds – occassionally some are deemed innocent after spending years behind bars; and they will not hesitate to slaughter an entire family in the effort to eliminate a suspected "enemy". Oh, sorry, that's the US!!

September 28, 2014 at 10:24 am | Reply
  11. Zandie

Poor Akhos. Drinking so early in the morning. No wonder he makes no sense.

September 28, 2014 at 11:27 am | Reply
    • Mandarine

What he said is true. Put your bong down.

September 28, 2014 at 11:48 am | Reply
  12. George patton

The problem with America is that they are too weak. Much more bombing needed. The closer to the sewer Iran, the better.

September 28, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Reply
  13. Joseph McCarthy

Good post George,thank you. Iran is attempting to come off as a legitimate country. But how! They arrest their own citizens, and foreigners. They supported the 1979 kidnapping of 52 innocent Americans. They arm and fund international terrorist groups, they have a Washington U.S. reporter in jail for no reason. They want the big bomb to use on Israel. We cannot allow those fools to have a big bomb.
    They can keep begging. The answer is still NO!

September 28, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Not me @ 9:12 either! And no gutter mouth Roem i will NOT shut up as long as you keep steeling my name to post YOUR crap! Just post under King of Crap and be done with i!

September 28, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Reply
  15. chri§§y

And you can bet i WILL KEEP addressing you until you stop! Got it idiot!

September 28, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  16. KF

Remember how Iran in the beginning of the so called Revolution, had people attacked by a group like ISIS on the streets, in Iranian homes beating up & raping women, lashing Men, , heading poor young political students & hanging male & female right on the streets?
    They sure were Animals tearing up the culture as ISIS is now taking territories as they do in M.E. now. They sure were trained professionally to take over even when Khomani Interned Iran.

September 28, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Reply
  17. chri§§y

Lol @ Linda, you might not think hes so much fun when he tells you to S T F U and then posts a load of crap using your name. And it just gets worse and worse. Watch and see.

September 28, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Reply
    • Linda

Meh. He seems like a child.

September 28, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  18. rupert

@chrissy. You sound fun, cutie patootie. Just ignore that jeff guy. He sounds mean.

September 28, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Reply
    • Zandie

I have not seen your posts here ...Linda.
      Chrissy has split personalities, but she is a sweet soul. We are all aware of her problems. Please pay her no mind when she gets in her paranoid and ranting moods. That's normal for someone with her problematic personality..indulge her. The sweet lady has rheumatism too.

September 28, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Reply
      • Zandie

@ Linda. Oh. And BTW, there is no Jeff Roem. She uses a second device to act the part and talks to herself. She needs attention.
        She will have a fit because I am using my cell and not my PC now, thus the blue color.
        Gotta go. Good luck with chrissy, Linda.

September 28, 2014 at 2:10 pm |
      • Linda

I only posted for the first time today...Zandie. Why is your icon the same as George patton, Joseph MCarthy, «RZ», stuart, a different chri§§y, and rupert's? You look like you've been indulging in SOMETHING. Do you suffer from Dissociative Personality Disorder?

September 28, 2014 at 2:20 pm |
      • Linda

@Zandie, you sound as if you could use some intensive therapy yourself. She mentions Roem, not Jeff Roem. That's awfully specific of you. Why would you do that?

September 28, 2014 at 2:23 pm |
      • rupert

Linda: u are just no good. Stay in the Northeast. Stay out of Seattle, WA.

September 28, 2014 at 6:09 pm |

September 28, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Reply
  20. rupert

She loves me!
    She loves me!

September 28, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Reply
  21. chri§§y

Lmao @ Zandie you havent a clue about me so stop pretending you do! Youre just another one of jeff roems made up fanasy family!

September 28, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Reply
    • Linda

I know of a a Roem that used to live in NYC but practiced in NJ. I wonder if they're related?

September 28, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Reply
  22. chri§§y

Lol @ rupert! Be serious.

September 28, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Reply
  23. rupert

Jeff Roem does not exist
    Jeff Roem does not exist
    Jeff Roem does not exist

September 28, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Reply
  24. when the mullahs take charge

Iran is a classic case study, for all the people of planet earth, of why it is not necessarily a good thing, when the religious cadres of this world, take over the government of a State. Ever since 1978, after the Shah of Iran was deposed, and Ayahtollah Khomeini took charge of Iran, the world has watched, and waited, for the most amazing advancement and re-emergence of the Persian civilization to unfold. It never happened. Why? Simple truth: because these religious types are just religious types. That's why. They have no understanding of the modern world, the complexities of modern economics, the need for a society to embrace technology, the need for a modern society to embrace some basic freedoms. They are stuck in the eleventh century, with Sharia Law, and wave a book, their Koran, that emerged from some events in the 6th century. They are truly the past. No wonder they cannot forge towards a bright future for their populace. Rouhani is just the mouthpiece of the archaic mullahs hiding behind him. He has learned to equivocate, to say no when he means yes, to say maybe when he wants to dodge a direct question, to dance to the tune of his bosses (the mullahs) without heaping too much hatred of the people upon his head. Basically, he is dancing between the raindrops, and not getting wet. The entire world can easily see through his facade. Iran will remain a joke until they get rid of their mullahs from the 6th century. The scary part for Iranians: that may never happen.

September 28, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Reply
    • separation of Church and State

The Western World figured out a concept called: "Separation of Church and State" long ago, and for exactly the reasons you have enumerated. Thank you! Time for the Islamic World to take note, and do something about it. Whether it be the mullahs of Iran, or the single-minded, Koran focused, Taliban of Afghanistan, or the lost goats in the desert called ISIS, that also wave their Koran at the clouds, all proclaiming Allah O Akbar, while they murder infidels, all these buggers need to take a breather, think about things for a few weeks/months, re-evaluate their approach to life, consider whether 6th century thinking is progress, and learn from Asia to make science, technology, hard work and non-violence, their new mantra. Until they can evolve into that new heaven of freedom, they will remain at odds with the rest of us, and continue to have bombs raining down upon them. The problem: they have no clue!

September 28, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Reply
  25. banasy©

Great post. I fully agree. Seperate religion from government and this is sure to help keep out the fanatics.

September 28, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Not I. I very rarely use the word "fanatics". There is one who uses it regularly, however; I suspect this is the person who stole my name.

September 28, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

In addition, I know the function of the reply button, so it doesn't appear to be the beginning of a new thread with an OP.
        I also know the correct spelling of 'separate'.

September 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm |
  26. Mun-hee

I have been living in Iran, for almost a year now. I can tell you my opinion about not only people but also iran as a whole has totally changed. I feel much safer here thani thought I would. We have such a corrupt media...argh! And such stupid politicians don't let me get started with...

September 28, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Reply
  27. banasy©

Test

September 28, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Curious. It will not let me post "I wonder what happened to S a e e d
      A b e d i n i."

September 28, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Reply
  28. rupert

Test. Test.
    Hi banasy.

September 28, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Reply
  29. chri§§y

FYI @ Linda "roem" is 99% of the characters blogging. Guess his way of making himself he isnt insane by talking and answering hisself! Nutjob that he is!

September 28, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Reply
  30. chri§§y

"think" he isnt insane i meant

September 28, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Reply