October 1st, 2014

Colombia's president on the economy and talking to the FARC

Fareed speaks with Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos about his government's negotiations with the FARC. Watch the video for the full interview.

So how were you able to negotiate with people that your government has been battling and that have been afflicting huge terrorist attacks? I mean, politically, that must be difficult.

It is very difficult, very difficult to explain to the people why are you talking about peace and the work continues, because one of the conditions that I put in the initiation of the conversations was there's no ceasefire until we reach an agreement. Because they always take advantage of ceasefires and I don't want to be signaled, if they fail, if the conversations fail as another president who attempted to have peace and failed and left the FARC stronger and the state weaker. That is something that I will not allow. And therefore, it is difficult to explain, but it's the shortest way to achieve peace here.

What lesson do you draw from talking to terrorists? What would you say you've learned?

Well, first of all, that you have to have a very clear objective. You have to have some red lines and you have to have determination and persevere and plan very carefully where you want to go. And this is what we have done in the last two years. And we have advanced much further than any attempt before. And I’m quite optimistic, for the first time in 50 years of war, that we will reach peace.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show • Latin America

1. banasy©

On CNN's main page:

Lord.

October 1, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Reply
    • rupert

U are a Russian hottie with no writing skill.

October 1, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

I care not one jot about your opinion.

October 1, 2014 at 6:55 pm |
      • stuart

@rupert. Hahaha. She told u off. And she writes good to.a lot better than u.
        Idiot!

October 1, 2014 at 11:17 pm |
      • rupert

@stuart. I was only kidding. I know she writes well. It's just that I have always been partial to russian women. So I guess I long for her attention. The more she hate me, the more I like her. How weird is that? Women from russia and Michigan are the best.

October 1, 2014 at 11:27 pm |
      • stuart

Yea. Whatever. Good night

October 1, 2014 at 11:29 pm |
      • rupert

Good night stuart.
        Good night chrissy and banasy. I wuv u very much.

October 1, 2014 at 11:32 pm |
  2. chri§§y

@ banasy??? What was that about?

October 1, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Chrissy: I just found it quite amusing that CNN has a article on laundry tips on their main page. Apparently, I am the only one who finds that absurd.

October 1, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Reply
      • Ferhat Balkan

Next on CNN: Fox News and CNN merger. Stay tuned!

October 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm |
      • banasy©

Thank you for getting my point, Ferhat.

October 1, 2014 at 9:53 pm |
  3. Linda

Yea, what was that about. I read it three times but couldn't understand the idea.

October 1, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Reply
    • Linda

I got the gist.....are you stupid?

October 2, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  4. palintwit

Sarah Palin for president. 2016!

October 1, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Reply
    • palintwit

Fake palintwit @ 6:09 pm.

October 2, 2014 at 10:25 am | Reply
  5. chri§§y

Lmao @ banasy no you arent. I just read it. Pretty much all SOP already and common sense! With ONE exception....there is NO WAY in he!! im gonna boil dirty socks on my stove with lemmon wedges just to get out of using bleach! YUK! I cook FOOD in my pans lol.

October 1, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I laughed when I saw it...I certainly do not come to CNN for household hacks.

October 1, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Reply
  6. chri§§y

??? Whos opinion?

October 1, 2014 at 7:17 pm | Reply

Rupert's opinion.

October 1, 2014 at 7:26 pm | Reply
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

I saw @ banasy's first comment earlier today, when it stood alone.
        I couldn't figure out why she bothered with anything that...well, stupid.
        I see absurd things every day, I usually ignore them.
        An example is the Dallas nurses' sending the young man from Liberia home with antibiotics and Ebola. Another example is the lack of travel restrictions that allowed him to fly here in the first place.

October 1, 2014 at 8:03 pm |
      • banasy©

Perhaps the absurdity of CNN turning into Hints from Heloise is something you, as the rare Renaissance Man, chooses not to comment on, JIF. I chose to comment.

October 1, 2014 at 9:47 pm |
      • Philip

More absurd still is that the men first diagnosed as having what would later be called "AIDS" weren't quarantined. The Supreme Court's opinion was that it would violate their civil liberties.
        Approximately 1.7 million people die from AIDS each year. (source: use keywords/Google. Duh)

October 2, 2014 at 6:18 am |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ banasy: how I want to see a real Renaissance in the USA during my lifetime! However. I know that what I shall see is a real Declin.

October 2, 2014 at 6:51 am |
      • rupert

Banasy has left the building ladies and gentlemen.
        Banasy has left the building.

October 2, 2014 at 8:28 am |
      • banasy©

I already know a real Declin, JIF. Of course, I'm using the Irish meaning, not the French.

October 2, 2014 at 9:32 am |
      • banasy©

Not in the USA, Philip. That figure is for world-wide, yes?

I think this was asked before, but do you have a link to the SCOTUS case you are talking about?

October 2, 2014 at 9:39 am |
      • Monica Lewinskistein

47K die of "AIDS" each year @banasy. You should know this by now: US are 4% of world population. My point is that we quarantine Ebola virus victims without the Supreme Court stepping in. But with the exponentially far greater threat of "Aids" that now kills almost 3 million per year, the SC stepped in and did not allow US to quarantine America's first AIDS victims.
        Now, about 2% of the het population are carriers of "AIDS".
        If you need citations, use keywords and Google to find them for yourself. Or be lazy and wait for Rupert to serve you Vodka.
        Howz that hubby of yours? Still stuck to the boob tube?🙂

October 2, 2014 at 4:19 pm |
      • banasy©

No link, then? I've looked, using your keywords, and have found nothing validating your claim. This is why I'm asking you specifically for the link.

My husband is fine, and isn't "stuck to the boob tube." He watches televised sports at times, being the athletic man he is; he, however, remains the finest man I've ever met. Thanks for asking.

October 2, 2014 at 5:47 pm |

New icon. Weird.

October 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Well, it doesn't pay to be a doubting Thomas, as @ Philip was absolutely correct: I found the case.
        It was Stevens v. West Virginia (1981).

October 2, 2014 at 7:22 pm |
      • banasy©

Can you post the bloody link, JIF? I can't find it by using Stevens v. West Virginia, either, and I can also do without the editorial comments about whether or not I'm doubting something by merely posting the request for the link.

October 2, 2014 at 7:43 pm |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@ banasy,
        April Fool.
        Joey🙂

October 2, 2014 at 9:01 pm |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

You know that there was no case like that.

October 2, 2014 at 9:06 pm |

JIF,
        You got me! 😛
        Why, I oughta...nothing. You got me!

October 3, 2014 at 10:26 am |
  7. chri§§y

Lnl @ Ferhat, i really hope youre joking!

October 1, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Reply
    • Ferhat Balkan

🙂 Joking of course. I don't know about your thoughts on CNN chri§§y, but I have to say that CNN is fast becoming "action news" rather than real news. Basically turning into a news network that tells people what they want to hear. Take for instance the never ending coverage of "Ebola in the US". It's quite amazing really.. I turn on the TV in the morning and first thing I see on CNN is dr. Sanjay Gupta talking about Ebola and explaining profusely over and over about how unlikely it is that it'll spread. Then I come back from work in the evening and turn on CNN and guess what I see? Breaking News with Anderson Cooper talking about... You guessed it! Ebola. I'm willing to bet that in about a week's time, I'll see the same headline. I feel sorry for all these doctors who have to repeat themselves 1,000,000 times "It's not airborne". Now I turn on the CNN channel again and guess what? It's dr Sanjay Gupta!

October 1, 2014 at 10:24 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Ferhat, they employ tabloid journalism anymore. I dislike sensationalism in my news; the have lowered their standards considerably since the heyday of Ted Turner being at the helm.
        A pity.

October 1, 2014 at 10:42 pm |
  8. chri§§y

Oh yea ive noticed @ Ferhat. And i really dislike Fox news for those very reasons. Also have you noticed you can no longer comment on the political ticker? Soon will be the same here...thanks to that idiot resident troll on here!

October 1, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Reply
  9. chri§§y

Good nite @ rupert...dream of the angels! Oh and btw neither of us are russian.

October 1, 2014 at 11:49 pm | Reply
  10. chri§§y

Gond nite also to you @ stuart and dream of the angels as well.

October 1, 2014 at 11:56 pm | Reply
  11. rupert

@chrissy. I know u are not russian. But banasy has Russian blood. She said so last year. I read a lot of posts.
    GN nice Michigan lady. I hope u all have an easy winter

October 2, 2014 at 12:26 am | Reply
  12. stuart

Night chrissy.

October 2, 2014 at 12:28 am | Reply
  13. chri§§y

Lol @ rupert...now THAT was funny! Theres no such thing as an easy winter in Michigan but thank you for hoping so.

October 2, 2014 at 5:58 am | Reply
  14. chri§§y

Obsessing still @ Philip? And even more absurd is you insurting that obsession of yours into every conversation. Especially those that are in no way, related to your obsession!!!

October 2, 2014 at 7:12 am | Reply
  15. palintwit

Sarah Palin and her Tea Weenies are certainly responsible for getting the American clown shoe industry back on a solid footing. ( No pun intended )

October 2, 2014 at 10:27 am | Reply
  16. bobcat2u

Well this seems to be a forum on off the wall observations today. That being said, is it just me, or does Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, look like he could be a slightly older version of Fareed ?

October 2, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Reply

They do look related.

October 2, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Reply
  17. rupert

Slightly older version of Fareed. I agree.

October 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  18. palintwit

Sarah Palin would be an asset to south America. Trade would flourish and relationships between the United States and the rest of our neighbors would improve vastly.
    She would also open relations with Cuba as Nixon did with Beijing.
    Bless her. Great American woman.

October 2, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Reply

Not even subtle.

October 2, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Reply
    • palintwit

Fake palintwit @ 12:55 pm.

October 2, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Reply
    • trigtwit palin... America's favorite tard baby

*poot*

October 2, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Reply
  19. chri§§y

Poor Fareed huh? Lol. I cant imagine that feels complimentary.

October 2, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Reply
  20. chri§§y

And @ palintwit...she could see US of A from her house huh? Lmao

October 2, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Reply
  21. rupert

Do you people not work! Is this how you spend your lunch hour from work?
    Good grief people. No wonder this country is becoming less productive.
    Sheesh

October 2, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Reply
  22. chri§§y

Nope @ rupert...but it is how i spend my retirement! Whats your story? Youre here 24/7!

October 2, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

365/66 depending on the year.

October 2, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Reply

Lol. True.

October 2, 2014 at 3:00 pm |
  23. chri§§y

Lmao @ bobcat...and they say retirement is sposed to be fun huh? Lol

October 2, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Reply
  24. Monica Lewinskistein

How to get you yo vote for Hillary?

October 2, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Reply
    • Monica Lewinskistein

Monica should go on the campaign trail for Hillary. To attract even more doormat housewives who couldn't care less about things like morality and spreading of STDs.

October 2, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

You don't vote anyway; what does it matter to you how someone else votes? You would prefer a dictatorship from some despotic religious wacko who wants a theocracy?

October 2, 2014 at 5:54 pm |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

I vote against the proposition to establish a theocracy, but I vote to repeal that Supreme Court decision (early 1980s) upholding the civil rights of GRID patients.

October 2, 2014 at 6:44 pm |
      • Linda

Patients that suffer from seizures?!? W T F???

October 2, 2014 at 7:57 pm |
      • banasy©

I'll assume that JIF is joking...

October 3, 2014 at 11:23 am |
  25. Ferhat Balkan

You know.. I find it amazing that it is so difficult to find an article on any major news sites like CNN on the topic of income inequality. In my opinion, income inequality is one of the biggest problems in the US. All I see are articles about ISIS, Ebola, or a story about a serial killer etc. Ok, I understand all those problems are important. BUT let's face it, what plagues the average American the most every day is earning a decent living. When I do find an article about this topic, it's usually completely wrong or misleading.
    I'm talking about the "American Dream" (The Golden Age) what happened to it? Back in the 1960s, the average American was living the dream, because income equality was at an acceptable level. Average pay increased based on productivity. If you look at the charts of pay vs productivity over the years, you'll notice that productivity steadily increased and continues to increase. Yet, the average family median income reaches a certain plateau in the early 80s (Reagan years)and pretty much stays the same over time with little change since then. Why is that? What changed? Well, in the late 1970s the supreme court made the decision that corporations are human beings and have freedom of speech which basically translated to corporations spending money in politics. Since that time, there has been no regulation of corporations and money has started flowing into the pockets of our politicians who made decisions based on those "contributions". We are no longer living in what use to be c a p i ta l i s m. We live in what is most accurately described as "c o r p o r a t i s m".

October 2, 2014 at 11:06 pm | Reply
    • Ferhat Balkan

I was going to follow up with some figures, but for some reason, the CNN filters are preventing me from posting them. Anyways, just felt like ranting today🙂

October 2, 2014 at 11:16 pm | Reply
  26. Gerald O'Hare

The Colombian government not only needs to make peace with FARC but make it a part of the Bogota regime and solve Colombia's economic problems.

October 3, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  27. Monica Lewinskistein

Well. Since Colombians selling drugs to Americans moved to Mexico a couple of years ago, "FARC" is all they got.

October 2, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Reply