October 7th, 2014

Mexico's president talks reform and the immigration debate

Fareed speaks with Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto about the legalization marijuana in parts of the United States, structural reforms in Mexico and the immigration debate in the United States. Watch the video for the full interview.

You know, in the United States, when people think about Mexico, still it is immigration that dominates the way they think about it. What do you think when you hear the debate about immigration in Washington?

First of all, I think that the relationship between Mexico and the United States is a lot broader, and sometimes it would be surprising to know the many details of the relationship – the number of daily crossings, legal crossings, every day. About a million people every day, people coming and going from one country to the other, because of work and trade and the trade level that we have, which is so broad, which we will probably talk about.

But when you hear some of the anti-immigrant language, the rhetoric, do you think it's racist?

I think it's discriminatory, yes. And I think it's unfortunate for a country whose formation and historic origin relies so much on the migration flows of many parts of Europe, Asia, for instance. I think this is a country whose origin, to a great extent, is one of migration. And that's why it's unfortunate to hear this exclusionary and discriminatory tone regarding the migration flows into the United States.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show • Latin America

1. chri§§y

It IS unfortunate that we have soooooo many bigoted, racist people in this country STILL! Particularly, since this country was founded with immagrants from all over the world. It just shows how mentally stunted people are!

October 7, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Reply
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini @

I believe that racism, which is vigorously projected by persons of each and every race, including those called oppressed, is the most destructive force in today's USA.

October 7, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Reply
  3. Joey Isotta-Fraschini @

The objection to immigrants from Mexico is economic in origin, not social. Mexicans are willing to work for reasonable remuneration when many USA citizens will not.

October 7, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Reply
    • How...

Bull. Shit.

October 7, 2014 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  4. chri§§y

I agree with you @ Joey...right up until you said "reasonable remuneration which many USA citizens will not" and THEN i agree with @ HOW...lol. How many ppl in this country can live on 5 or 6 bucks an hour??? Seriously? I gotta say that again HOW just cuz it was RIGHT lol...Bull. Sh!t!!! Most citizens in this country just want a LIVABLE WAGE! And thats only fair....if every thing else is going up...housing, food, utilities EVERYTHING...than its only fair and reasonable that wages go up too! And Joey i love you to death but you havent a clue what the common Joe Citizen goes thru just to keep food on the table for their kids and a roof over their heads in todays economy! Try walkin in THEIR shoes for just one week! I challenge you to that and i guarantee you will be shocked!!!

October 7, 2014 at 9:18 pm | Reply
    • Bavarian

Stop having conversations with yourself. P sycho

October 8, 2014 at 4:09 am | Reply
  5. chri§§y

And @ HOW...however did you get that to post? Lmao. I tried and of course had to improvise.

October 7, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  6. rupert

Hmmmm

October 7, 2014 at 9:23 pm | Reply
    • Ajay

What is Hmmm? You have a mecican d ik in your mouth? Up your a zz?

October 8, 2014 at 3:51 am | Reply
      • Ajay

People. Do not believe the lies and rumors about Modi. He is a good man and awesome leader. I believe in him and he has my full support.

October 8, 2014 at 5:21 am |
      • rupert

Trust me on this. I butt f ukk Modi.

October 8, 2014 at 10:14 am |
  7. Blue Saffron

We are so lucky to have Mexico as our neighbor. It is China's misfortune to have India as a neighbor. Everything is relative.

October 7, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Reply
    • How...

China and India are both shit countries. Who cares.

October 7, 2014 at 10:29 pm | Reply
      • Ajay

Did some Mexican f ukk ya?

October 8, 2014 at 3:50 am |
      • Ajay

I believe that the way the media has portrayed Modi is soooooo unfair. He is a great leader. Please visit my website to sign in for Modi's support at
        Ajayformodi.com
        Thank you.

October 8, 2014 at 5:25 am |
      • How...

Talkin to yourself in the mirror again Ajay?

October 8, 2014 at 9:55 am |

I just got butt phucked

October 8, 2014 at 10:13 am |
  8. one4u2cee

Does anyone else find it offensive that the president of Mexico has the gall to call our immigration policies discriminatory when in fact any immigrants entering Mexico from the Central American countries like Guatemala,Nicaragua,El Salvador,and Honduras are arrested,jailed,and immediately deported.He spoke of how the U.S. is a nation that was built on immigration,but failed to address the fact that most of the Mexican immigrants coming here are doing so illegally. He then said many are coming to the U.S. ,but not that many are returning.Well of course not! Why would they,when they can stay here and make more money in one week than they would in several month in Mexico,plus get benefits. Then he is asked what his opinion is on the legalization of marijuana and he goes on about how he believes it will make things worse with increased violence,abuse,and that it will have a negative social impact. Well of course it will for Mexico,because It`s one of their biggest exports and profit centers.He knows the financial loss to the Cartels will trickle down or up in his case,forcing them to figure out alternative income sources.Finally,he`s questioned about his Education,Media,and Economic reforms and he speaks as though these changes are going to provide jobs to the people of Mexico.Why does he think most of them are coming illegally to the U.S.? It`s two fold,one is out of fear of the increased violence by the Drug Cartels and second is because the people of Mexico are starving and can`t support their families! Why did CNN even do this interview?Fareed Zakaria didn`t ask any of the tough questions like what is he doing to clean up the corruption in his Government and country?......What is he doing to stop the Drug Cartels that are slaughtering innocent people and sending drugs to the U.S.? What is he doing to improve jobs for his people,so they don`t have to illegally come to the U.S. to survive?None of these questions were asked and all it did was allow this man to boast about how successful his Administration has been in the 20 months he`s been in office and to criticize the U.S. because we are causing his people who travel here illegally to be stopped.

October 8, 2014 at 12:08 am | Reply
    • Ajay

@one4u2cee..I agree. But I still like chicken enchiladas with yellow cheese.

October 8, 2014 at 6:03 am | Reply
      • rupert

I like Modi's d ik with cilantro

October 8, 2014 at 10:12 am |
  9. one4u2cee

This guy can`t even get the Drug Cartels under control and improve the economy of Mexico and Fareed is asking him if he thinks our immigration policies are racist and discriminatory. WOW! like we care what he thinks! Mexico is living in the dark ages and they need to get their own government in order before they start giving opinions about immigration policies. Maybe if they weren`t sending drugs and violence across the border,the U.S might be willing to allow their people across to work and become legal citizens!

October 8, 2014 at 12:17 am | Reply
  10. BillC

I love the way the interviewer asks a leading question about "anti-immigrant rhetoric" being racist. It is the typical strawman argument posed by the Far Left. What most people are opposed to is ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, not simply immigration. So, when you say you want people to follow the laws and enter the country legally (for security, health & financial reasons) it immediately is twisted by the Left (and this CNN interviewer falls into that category) as anti-immigrant and therefore racist. It's a very dishonest argument and is purposely designed to change the argument away from a logical one to pure emotion.

October 8, 2014 at 12:22 am | Reply
  11. Ajay

Meanwhile in India rayping continues unabated at a rate of a gang raype every two seconds. An epidemic. Worse than Ebola.

October 8, 2014 at 3:36 am | Reply
    • Ajay

Ny fantasy is to get rayped by Modi and get pregnant. I want to have his baby

October 8, 2014 at 6:08 am | Reply
      • rupert

Yeah, Modi plays it both ways. I butt f ukked him. He is pregnant.

October 8, 2014 at 10:15 am |
  12. Ajay

I support Modi. Best leader ever.

October 8, 2014 at 5:18 am | Reply
  13. Ajay

OMG! I accidentally ate a pack of ex-lax. I mistook it for herseys chocolate. Calling in sick today. Gonna poop all day long.

October 8, 2014 at 5:34 am | Reply
  14. chri§§y

@ajay. Have lots of T/P on stock. Eat soup. Now STFU already.

October 8, 2014 at 5:37 am | Reply
  15. Mel

@ajay. I use Philips milk of magnasia. Works better.

October 8, 2014 at 5:39 am | Reply
  16. Ajay

Mexico is a country of migration. Think I will migrate there and sip on margaritas all day long

October 8, 2014 at 5:44 am | Reply
  17. Ajay

I saw a frog ray.ping another frog once. It turned me on
    Now I have a fetish for long silky smooth frog legs.
    I take them to bed while I touch myself

October 8, 2014 at 5:48 am | Reply
    • rupert

LONDON: A British auction house has put on sale three explosive letters revealing Mahatma Gandhi's deep concerns over the behaviour of his eldest son Harilal. Mullock's Auctioneers are hoping to fetch over £100,000 for the letters written in June 1935.

"You should know that your problem has become much more difficult for me even than our national freedom," Gandhi says in one of the letters in reference to Harilal's daughter Manu, who had come to stay with her grandfather at Sabarmati Ashram. "Manu is telling me number of dangerous things about you. She says that you had rayped her before eight years and she was so much hurt that medical treatment was also to be taken."

October 8, 2014 at 9:49 am | Reply

Poser!

October 8, 2014 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Elvis

@Ajay. You are disgusting!

October 8, 2014 at 5:58 am | Reply
  19. rupert

Meantime in India. Every 2.5 seconds a woman is rayped

October 8, 2014 at 6:20 am | Reply
  20. rupert

It is worser than ebola virus

October 8, 2014 at 6:22 am | Reply
  21. Ajay

Folks, my name has been hijacked. Ya'll and we all know who did it. It is now WAR.
    Stay tuned.

October 8, 2014 at 9:05 am | Reply
  22. rupert

That's terrible! So sorry to hear it, pretty boy.

October 8, 2014 at 9:09 am | Reply
    • chri§§y

Easy cowboy. Your mouth needs a soap wash. BTW take some v iagara next time. You have ED problems.

October 8, 2014 at 9:42 am | Reply
  23. chri§§y

Not me @ 5:37 but i couldnt have said it any better.

October 8, 2014 at 9:12 am | Reply
  24. chri§§y

All of ya, lay off me. I am m enstruating these days. Therefore I am awfully moody. And h orny.

October 8, 2014 at 9:22 am | Reply
  25. chri§§y

You all know where I stand on human rights.
    Modi is a pariah whose legitimacy as India's leader would be questionable. He is a murderer with genocidal tendencies. A hitler of sorts.
    A t hug of the lowest cadre. An usurper of women's rights and dignity. A stalker. A pedophile. He is a disgrace to South Asia.

October 8, 2014 at 9:40 am | Reply
    • rupert

Really? Modi is a great guy. We both belong to LGBT club.

October 8, 2014 at 9:47 am | Reply
  26. chri§§y

And speaking of WAR...rs anyone else just a little bit offended on our lack of compassion for the people of Syria and this fight against ISIS? Personally I was mad as he!!t o read on the homepage of this site WHAT officials had to say about ISIS overtaking that city in Syria! Especially after watching their movements on the news last nite! WTH?? I thought the object was to TAKE OUT ISIS no matter where they were! I had heard previously in a speech by the POTUS "we will find you and take you out, you cannot hide"! WTH? They arent hiding, theyre in plain sight...but because they arent in Iraq its ok???? Thats bull sh!t!!!!

October 8, 2014 at 9:43 am | Reply
    • rupert

Shut up. How dare you discuss my s exual inadequacies in public.

October 8, 2014 at 9:45 am | Reply
      • Ajay

@rupert. You shut up! Modi is good.

October 8, 2014 at 9:49 am |
      • rupert

Of course Modi is wonderful. We butt phuck each other frequently.

October 8, 2014 at 9:58 am |
      • rupert

But then, I only wish Modi was as tight as Ajay.

October 8, 2014 at 10:02 am |
      • rupert

But my a zz is tighter than anyone.

October 8, 2014 at 10:11 am |
  27. rupert

To all you pretty boys out there. I am looking to get laid tonight. I give a great head also.

October 8, 2014 at 9:44 am | Reply
  28. Ajay

@rupert. Count me in. I am interested.

October 8, 2014 at 9:47 am | Reply
    • rupert

You are a rayping hindu from India. I no like 'em. They have BO. I like bubba's from Africa.

October 8, 2014 at 9:51 am | Reply
  29. chri§§y

Im not advocating war but if youre in it than youre in it to WIN IT! And those people have suffered enougg and in large part it IS the fault of the US! We funded, trained and provided weapons to members of AlQueada and ISIS in Syria so now its our responsibility to take them b@st@rds out ESPECIALLY in Syria!!!!!!

October 8, 2014 at 9:51 am | Reply
  30. rupert

Meantime in India. A woman is rayped every 2.5 seconds.

October 8, 2014 at 9:52 am | Reply
    • rupert

See I learned my statistics well. Thank you @Ajay. In India girls are metal rodded also during gang raypes. FYI

October 8, 2014 at 10:00 am | Reply