October 9th, 2014

Let’s be honest, Islam has a problem right now

By Fareed Zakaria

There is a cancer of extremism within Islam today. A small minority of Muslims celebrates violence and intolerance and harbors deeply reactionary attitudes toward women and minorities. While some confront these extremists, not enough do so, and the protests are not loud enough. How many mass rallies have been held against the Islamic State (also known as ISIS) in the Arab world today?

The caveat, “Islam today,” is important. The central problem with Maher’s and Harris’s analyses are that they take a reality — extremism in Islam — and describe it in ways that suggest it is inherent in Islam. Bill Maher says Islam is “the only religion that acts like the Mafia, that will [expletive] kill you if you say the wrong thing, draw the wrong picture or write the wrong book.” He’s right about the viciousness but wrong to link it to “Islam” — instead of “some Muslims.”

Read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

1. Randy

@Haji I applaud your position so clearly articulated. Everything you stated rings a bell with me. I concur with you. Fair enough.

October 10, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Reply
  2. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

Mr. Zacharia is an excellent and highly successful journalist.
    Anyone who achieves as much as he has knows that he will receive terrible criticism, much of it motivated only by jealousy.

October 10, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Reply
  3. Randy

Fareed is a pawn. He is given a script and he follows his master's voice. He is a plagiarist. We all know that.

What baffles me that a young muslim teenage girl has won the Nobel Peace Prize first ever in the history of humanity and Fareed's silence is deafening. That tells all about Fareed.

Shame on him.

October 10, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Reply
    • Randy

Either Fareed is jealous or simply humiliated that his thesis has been proved wrong.

If he has any self respect he would resign.

October 10, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

@ Randy:
      "We all know that?"
      I don't think that what you said is true at all, so we don't "all" know it.

October 10, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Reply
      • Randy

Then you don't read enough to know what is going on in this world.
        Google "Fareed Zakaria Plagiarism" and you will get to know it all. Now don't say you "don't know it all." Coz now you will. Cheers!

October 10, 2014 at 6:31 pm |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

@ Randy,
        I reject your concept of logic.

October 10, 2014 at 6:39 pm |
      • Randy

Ok. Thank you. BTW do you know what logic is? You will find it in the produce section of the grocery store! It is on sale this weekend. Go buy some.

October 10, 2014 at 6:54 pm |
      • banasy©

You purchase your logic in the produce department, Randy?
        This explains much.

October 10, 2014 at 7:06 pm |
    • banasy©

He has also not commented on India's Kailash Satyarthi co-winning the Nobel. What is your takeaway from that?

This article is based on his Washington Post entry. He hasn't commented in this article because it was written prior to the Nobel recipients being announced.

I am continuously amused at the level of vitriol directed at Me. Zakaria when it would simply be easier to either not read this blog, or not watch his show.

October 10, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Me. Zakaria should read "Mr. Zakaria."

October 10, 2014 at 7:10 pm |
  4. Randy

Let's be honest, Fareed. YOU have a problem. You are a vicious prikk from India where they raype their mothers for lunch and bang the goats at night.

ISIS are cub scouts compared to where you come from. India. Namely Shiv Sena, BJP etc.

October 10, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

You do not think ISIS is not a threat across the Middle East? Oh, okay.

October 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm | Reply
      • Blue Saffron

No, I don't think ISIS is a threat. Like Ben Affleck said you can fit ISIS in a minor league ball field. Plus Political Scientist James Smith says per definition threat is existential. Therefore ISIS maybe bad guys but not a threat.

October 10, 2014 at 9:29 pm |
      • banasy©

Please notice I did not say a threat to the US. I stated explicitly the Middle East.

Ben Affleck is a fine actor, but he was defending Islam, not ISIS.

I would say that per James Smith's quote, ISIS poses approximately the same existential threat Modi and India does...

October 10, 2014 at 9:39 pm |
      • Blue Saffron

ISIS does not pose a threat to anybody per James Smith definition. Ben Affleck was exposing the hypocrisy vis a vis Islam and ISIS. I respect him for his boldness.

October 10, 2014 at 9:48 pm |
      • banasy©

Neither does Modi or India.

ISIS is total hypocrisy, I will agree, but Affleck was defending Islam against the absolute idiots who think Islam the religion equals the extremists who are ISIS.

October 10, 2014 at 9:55 pm |
      • banasy©

And, of course, my original question was to Randy.
        I'd be interested to see his answer.

October 10, 2014 at 10:06 pm |
  5. Blue Saffron

"'Her courage has inspired women across the world. Some of the bravest, most revolutionary voices about empowerment are coming from women and girls like Malala who are calling the world's attention to social norms that prevent women from realizing their full potential. Kudos to Islamic Republic of Pakistan for producing a prodigy like Malala." MELINDA GATES

October 10, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Reply
  6. Blue Saffron

Congratulations to Islamic Republic of Pakistan for Malala winning the Nobel Peace Prize. She is the youngest ever recipient of a Nobel Prize Winner. Let that be an example for all the neighbors who are reeling in extremism and terrorism.

October 10, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Being the stellar young woman she is, I am sure she has forgiven the fellow Muslims who tried to murder her. Her bravery is an inspiration to all.

Congratulations to India's Kailash Satyarthi, for also winning the Nobel; his decades-long fight against child labor has finally been recognized.

Two very worthy recipients.
      The Nobel Committee has chosen admirably.

October 10, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Reply
      • Blue Saffron

Malala's attackers were funded by India and sought refuge in New Delhi.

Congrats again to Malala and to Islamic Republic of Pakistan for winning the Nobel Peace Price.

October 10, 2014 at 9:40 pm |
      • banasy©

Malala's attackers were Taliban, and were defending their extremist idea of Islam.

Bin Laden was Taliban who sought refuge in Pakistan.

This is pointless.

Congratulations again to the two recipients. They both are deserving.

October 10, 2014 at 9:48 pm |
      • Blue Saffron

You are so wrong. Malala's attackers were financed by hindus in India. They fled to India. Congrats to Malala for being the youngest perdon ever to win Nobel Prize. She is a moslem. Fareed take note. Eat crow.

October 10, 2014 at 9:53 pm |
      • banasy©

No, I'm not.

Taliban, a Muslim extremist group, attacked Malala, another Muslim.
        Bob Laden, Taliban extremist, was given refuge in Pakistan.

Taliban, Muslim extremists, were not financed by the Hindus of India.

Muslim extremists are financed by other Muslim extremists, such as we see playing out right now with ISIS.

October 10, 2014 at 10:01 pm |
      • Andy

Hindus in India funded the bad guys who shot Malala. They are hiding in New Delhi and protected bu Indian government. Congrats to Malala a moslem girl for winning the Nobel Oeace Prize. She is from Islamic Republic of Pakistan.

October 10, 2014 at 10:13 pm |
      • Mandy

Your BS is getting predictable. Switch it up.

October 10, 2014 at 10:31 pm |
      • Candy

Everyone knows that Pakistani Islamic Taliban attacked that girl...another Muslim. Shame!!

October 10, 2014 at 10:51 pm |
      • Randy

Yea. Congrats to her. She derved it about as much as Obama did.
        Let's just leave out the real people that are deserving and base the recipient of that award based on emotion.
        Just shows more bone heads in charge of important decisions in our society.

October 11, 2014 at 12:16 am |
  7. Randy

I will own up to it. I do not care for the people from India nor Africa. Cant stand pictures of those little ugly kids so skinny that they disgust me. Randy is only the 5th screen name I have used since I started posting here.
    I do not consider myself a racist. Some will. I really don't care.

October 10, 2014 at 9:59 pm | Reply
    • Grande

Who cares.

October 10, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Reply
  8. Randy

How many devices do I have and consequently how many different icons? You all will never know.
    Am I a so called "troll" No. I do not steal names nor do I act childish and resort to name calling.
    I have managed to fool many of you. And will continue to do so. You are easy prey.

October 10, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Reply

I know how it's done.

October 10, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Reply

See?

October 10, 2014 at 10:09 pm | Reply

It's pretty easy.

October 10, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Reply

Piece of cake.

October 10, 2014 at 10:11 pm | Reply

You don't fool everyone.

October 10, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Reply

You're not that clever.

October 10, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Reply
    • Randy

You're just jealous of FZ.

October 10, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Reply
    • Randy

How many devices am I using?

October 10, 2014 at 10:16 pm | Reply
    • Randy

How many icons do I have?

October 10, 2014 at 10:17 pm | Reply

How many do I want?

October 10, 2014 at 10:18 pm | Reply

Aren't they pretty?

October 10, 2014 at 10:19 pm | Reply
    • Randy

Nope, you're not original.

October 10, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Reply

You're a bore.

October 10, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Reply
    • Randy

And trying to fool people is childish.

October 10, 2014 at 10:22 pm | Reply

So your mission failed.

October 10, 2014 at 10:24 pm | Reply

And now I'm bored.

October 10, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Reply
    • Randy

So, goodnight. Have fun under all your different little names and your different little icons pretending to be clever and oh, so witty.

October 10, 2014 at 10:27 pm | Reply
  9. Randy

I am employed in another major news network. It only gives me pleasure to smear anyone at CNN.
    Until next time.

October 10, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Reply
  10. Andy

The Taliban and other terrorist groups sponsored by India are secret agents, proxies, irregular forces of India.

The Taliban don't wear Indian military uniform of course, because that would give the game away, even to the fools who run NATO, the Pentagon, the MOD etc.

The evidence for India's secret terrorist war against the West can be viewed in the speeches of Secretary Kerry and Secretary Hagel in US Congress archives.

October 10, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Reply
  11. Randy

I am better than Fareed. Always have been.

October 10, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Reply
    • Mandy

Suuuuuuuuure you are.

October 10, 2014 at 10:29 pm | Reply
  12. Randy

Actually Randy. You have bored me since you came aboard. Always the same agenda. You are a grown baby with an axe to grind. Always the same sh!t . I have become very tired of you. Keep posting please. I shall look for you.

October 10, 2014 at 10:35 pm | Reply
    • Mandy

Yeah, the garbage is boring.

October 10, 2014 at 10:46 pm | Reply
  13. Andy

Here is for ya, Mr, Fareed. Revert back to me following your research.

AL QAEDA/TALIBAN AFFILIATED
    TERRORIST GROUPS IN INDIA WITH GLOBAL REACH: MULTINATIONALS

RASHTRIYA SWAYAM SEWAK SHANG (R.S.S.)
    VISHWA HINDU PARISHAD (World Hindu Council)
    HINDU MUNNANI
    ARYA SAMAJ
    SHIV SENA
    BHARATIYA JANATA PARISHAD (BJP)
    SANT SAMITI
    HINDU MAHASABHA
    BAAJRANG DAL

LEADERS: Narendra Modi/ L.K. Advani/ Ashok Singhal/ Bala Saheb Devaras/ Bal Thackeray(EXTERMINATED)/ A.B. Vajpayee/ Savarkar/ Baikunnth Lal Sharma “Prem”/ Balraj Madhok/ The Shankaracharya of Puri, Niranjan Dev Theerth/ Rama Gopalan/ Variyar – Vishwan Hindu Parishad/ Dharmalinga Nadar/ Cho Ramaswamy

October 10, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Reply
    • Randy

You offer nothing. That little worthless list can be easily googled. A 2nd grader could google it. Stop your plagiarism.
      Such a bore.

October 10, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Reply
    • Randy

Please, do keep posting. I am waiting.

October 10, 2014 at 10:55 pm | Reply
  14. Andy

Actually, Pakistan is a country that hides terrorists like OBL. I like Pakistan. That should tell you a little bit about my family and I.

October 10, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Reply
  15. Andy

In Rome, Trevi Fountain is a place where peace loving people from all over world gather to wish good luck to each other. On the other hand, in the wells around New Delhi , India massacred bodies of Muslims and rayped girls are dumped in. Folks, need I say more? Just reach your own conclusions. Have a wonderful weekend. G'nite to yawl.

October 10, 2014 at 10:57 pm | Reply
  16. Randy

How about posting about your favorite topic. Rayping in India, as if that is the only place in the entire world that this occurs.
    Why not tell us how you are so much more knowing and powerful than Fareed.
    Let's not forget, you can produce so many different pretty I-icons by your name.
    You are pathetic, obnoxious, and boring.

October 10, 2014 at 11:01 pm | Reply
  17. Randy

Gee, Andy must be a clone of Randy. Same boring sh!t.
    The sight of your posts makes me sick.

October 10, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Reply
  18. Randy

Paki lovers

October 11, 2014 at 12:21 am | Reply
  19. Thomas

LAHORE, PAKISTAN – The Pakistan Hand Knotted Carpet Exhibition is scheduled to take place here Oct. 11 to 13.

October 11, 2014 at 2:43 am | Reply
  20. Hannah

Kudos to Malala.

This must mean moslems are Peaceful and other cults such as Christians are terrorists.

So Fareed, "Let's be honest, You have a problem right now." Please do another blog correcting yourself.

October 11, 2014 at 5:08 am | Reply
  21. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

Fareed has a credibility issue. No one takes him seriously. He is a plagiarist. He is from India. They are all liars and cheaters. They come to America under affirmative action and pollute our universities.

October 11, 2014 at 5:17 am | Reply
    • Hannah

Agreed. See also my post below. I have written to Secretary of Education to investigate.

October 11, 2014 at 5:32 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

I listen to Mr. Zacharia very seriously.
      My Troll wants to discredit him for some reason.

October 11, 2014 at 5:45 am | Reply
      • sebastian

Get a life. Fareed is a waste. Spend more time with your partner instead.

October 11, 2014 at 6:08 am |
  22. Serafin

This blog is soooo childish and full of misinformation.

We call moslems extremists and then award them Nobel Peace Prize. Either Fareed is nuts or Nobel Prize Committee is misled. I think Fareed seems to be a stooge in the hands of CNN implementing America's foreign policy.

October 11, 2014 at 5:23 am | Reply
    • Hannah

Most of students from India in our universities are cheating in exams and plagiarizing work. That is becoming a big problem. That is how they get through. They recycle term papers and cheat in exams also.

October 11, 2014 at 5:28 am | Reply
      • sebastian

No wonder Fareed was suspended from CNN for plagiarizing. Maybe he can do a blog on cheating by students from India in US Universities.

October 11, 2014 at 6:13 am |
      • Has bloodthirsty Taliban

Why sebastiard? He's already got one you defecate all over like a 7th grader.

October 11, 2014 at 9:42 pm |
  23. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

I think CNN needs to communicate with Nobel Peace Prize Committee and educate themselves. Perhaps they can also send prople like Fareed for some courses in journalistic ethics. Isn't Fareed from India? That is why he is so biased. Third world mentality.

October 11, 2014 at 5:43 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

@ My Troll,
      Do you mean that the Nobel Prize committee sends people to educational establishments to take courses?
      Does the committee pay the tuition?
      Room and board?

October 11, 2014 at 5:53 am | Reply
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

Perhaps you want CNN to send Zacharia to school?
        Princeton or Yale this time?
        Curtis?

October 11, 2014 at 5:58 am |
      • sebastian

He can attend the Ashram in India where they teach you terrorism and extremism.

October 11, 2014 at 6:10 am |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

Well, maybe I could go there too. I've worked in several fields already, and I'm bored again.
        I was seriously considering going into medicine, but terrorism might be just the thing.

October 11, 2014 at 6:21 am |
  24. sebastian

You go Girl!! A moslem girl awarded Nobel Peace Prize !!! And we were led to brlieve by CNN and Fareed that all moslems were bad guys.

I will never trust CNN again.

October 11, 2014 at 6:15 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

@ sebastian,
      Did you get that Boy Scout badge in avatars yet?

October 11, 2014 at 6:25 am | Reply
    • sebastian

I suk big fat elephant dikks. And yes. I do swallow. I gain 5 pounds after I gulp. So do my friends in blue. Right Hannah, Randy, Serafin, and many others?
      Stay tuned as we are very busy this morning in a zoo. Gulp. Gulp. Gulp.
      To be continued..

October 11, 2014 at 7:12 am | Reply
    • Hannah

Ouch! Who stuck a five inch up my A.S.S! It hurts now. Randy, was that you? Or was it sebastian?

October 11, 2014 at 7:16 am | Reply
  25. Over and over and over

Same sh¡T. Same stupid person in blue changing names and icons.
    Just die already.

October 11, 2014 at 6:48 am | Reply
  26. Over and over and over

Mr. Joey. I suppose you find this misfit interesting. I don't. Hopefully he will get Ebola and just go away.

October 11, 2014 at 6:51 am | Reply
    • Oh Calcutta

You hindoo raypist from India?

October 11, 2014 at 8:09 am | Reply
  27. Commish

Eat you heart out, Fareed.
    Are all of you from Imdia terrorists? Rhapists! Extremists?

What a racist blog!

October 11, 2014 at 8:07 am | Reply
  28. Chuck

Too bad. Fareed should waited another dsy before piblishing this bloggg and would have saved himself the humiliation. Now he looks like a clown.

October 11, 2014 at 8:15 am | Reply
    • Chuck

What a racist blog!

October 11, 2014 at 8:16 am | Reply
  29. Espanol

Vive Le Malala ! Bravo.
    A muslim girl wins Nobel Peace Prize.
    Very nice. Good people. Bien'.

October 11, 2014 at 8:23 am | Reply
  30. Espanol

Fareed you made us believe muslims were terrorists but Nobel Peace Prize was given to them. You are a frikkin liar.
    You from India?