October 20th, 2014

Revisiting my 'Roots'

Watch 'Roots', a CNN special, this Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

For the past couple of months, CNN correspondents and anchors, including me, have been doing deep reporting on a topic that's rather foreign to most of us. That topic is ourselves, our family histories, where we came from. In short, our roots. It was something that didn't come naturally to me at all, but in the end it was fascinating.

You know, I'm curious about the world and about how it works and about what's going on politically and economically and technologically around the world. I'm not that curious about where I specifically come from. I'm just one guy among the billions of people on earth, and I have never until this project, never, ever looked into it in any way one way or the other. I came to America and I naturalized and now I'm an Indian-American.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Blue Saffron

My origin is India, New Delhi, India actually and yes I am Hindu. My belief in Buddhism goes beyond belief. I feel it in my heart and in my soul. It is a beautiful non-violent religion. All living things are precious to us, except for bacteria-yuk!
    I bid you all farewell as I must go pray to Budda now

October 21, 2014 at 8:00 am | Reply
    • Philip

Without bacteria, life on earth would not exist. Without enough bacteria, people become weak and dependant on pharmacy products.
      Did you know that the entire earth is surrounded by a cloud of dust...20% of which is live bacteria that naturally fall to the earth? Yup. Is true.

October 21, 2014 at 11:14 am | Reply
      • Philip

Some say that "Chemtrails" are anti-bacterial spray that kills bacteria that naturally falls to the earth in order to make people less healthy and spending trillions on pharmacy products in order to artificially maintain health.
        Even women like the Chrissy and @banasy knows what happens to a woman when her yeast-to-bacteria level goes askew. Pee u. Stinks up the joint.

October 21, 2014 at 11:21 am |
      • Lester

Even a layman can see what happens when a chemical imbalance strikes the brain. Pee u. Stinks up the blog.

October 21, 2014 at 12:04 pm |
      • Grande

"Some say that chemtrails"... I've never seen this talked about by anyone who wasn't certifiably insane. What a load of garbage.

October 21, 2014 at 4:27 pm |
  2. Elena Chera

Are you a man first of all, all coming from different countries in other countries that has adopted us, you are a brilliant journalist and I think you're proud that you're Indian

October 21, 2014 at 12:51 pm | Reply
  3. chri§§y

WTH are you talking about NOW @ Philip! Dont include me in your BS tirade because you know absolutely NOTHING about me so dont act as if you do!

October 21, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Reply
    • Hannibal

I'm pretty sure the restraining orders against him would keep him from knowing what a vagina looks like, let alone how one smells.

October 21, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  4. chri§§y

Lmao @ Hannabil that post was hillarious thank you! That man for sure is deranged!

October 22, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  5. chri§§y

Oops meant Hannibal, my apology.

October 22, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Reply
  6. chri§§y

I soooo agree with that last post @ 2:38 pm!!! And yes ive often said that our "creator" must be very disappointed in our behavior!

October 24, 2014 at 10:58 pm | Reply
    • Thanks chrissy!

Thank you chrissy. God bless you, my friend.

October 25, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Reply
  7. amin1446

None of the religion teaches hatred but LOVE. All the Human being come from the same Creator " The Almighty ". How can He be biased, He loves all men on earth equally.
    "Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians - whoever believes in God and the Last Day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord. And there will be no fear for them, nor shall they grieve" ( Quraanic Verse 2:62, 5:69, and many other verses).

Allah never benefits from the 5 times prayers, every Muslim is called 5 times so that he is trained, he is trained to Surrender and Submit to the wishes of Allah by bowing down on earth, trained to punctuality by praying and following timings, trained to be united by standing in row for prayers without any differences in heart, trained to adhere by following the Imam ( Priest ) while in prayers.

Each one of us should love each other so that the earth is a peaceful place to leave.

October 25, 2014 at 8:37 am | Reply
    • nice thoughts amin1446

Good concepts amin1446. How about thinking about this concept? Most of these religions were created many centuries ago. Just like all life evolves, and all animals evolve, and all humans have evolved, don't you think it is high time that all religions, created centuries ago, begin to evolve????? A good example is the Catholic Church. They had some age old concepts about abortion and contraception. But, the new Pope, Francis, has shown amazing ability to "evolve", recently, by stating in front of media, that the old concepts of "outlawing" abortion and contraception, are subject to modification, and can be allowed to evolve into the "modern" era, where they are not considered so bad after all, given the fact that there are 7 billion humans on planet earth right now. Sooooo, how about you Muslims think about the same idea? How about you guys talk to your Imam's about changing some "very old" concepts, regarding the treatment of women and the concept of "Jihad", so that Islam can evolve into the 21st century????? Would that not be a better way to co-exist together, with humans of all races and religions, in harmony, than what we see happening right now????

October 25, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Reply
      • amin1446

Dear Brother,
        Divine law is any law that comes directly from the will of God, in contrast to man-made law. However it may be revealed or not, so it may change in human perception in time through new revelation. But the doors of revelations are closed till the day of Resurrection.
        To Err is Human, Darwin's Theory of Evolution proved wrong after the advances of Genetic Science. Man made laws, theorems, ideas can be wronged, but the Law of God cannot be changed or modified by man as it has to be perfect in nature. No Priest or Imams have the right to change or modify Divine Law. The translation of religious concepts needs to be understood in its own perspective, for this you need to understand the Concept of God.
        The literal translation of Jihad is quite simply "struggle", while it is translated to killing, terrorizing, deceiving, ect.. Each of us view the other side of the world by our own perceptions and then make decisions based on that perception.
        . “Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it.... Right is not measured by its men, but men are measured by their right.”

October 27, 2014 at 6:04 am |
  8. Paul Henry Tyson

Dear Mr. Zakaria,
    I was interested in your genetic test that showed some Jewish background. Vis a vis Jews in India you might find this recent article about the Jews of Calcutta, many it seems from Baghdad, interesting.

Paul Tyson has read the article, "The Rise and Fall of Calcutta Jews," on Forward.com and thought you might enjoy it.

Please click below to access the article:

You may access the Forward's homepage at: http://forward.com

May I also say welcome to the Tribe - it is a good excuse to have Hanukah with your children!

Best,

Paul Tyson

October 25, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  9. chri§§y

You are most welcome @ nice thoughts amin 1446! This world would be a much nicer place if people just tried to treat each other the way they would wish to be treated...with respect and kindness! No matter what nationality they are or which beliefs they may have! And it would be a very boring place if everyone were the same! I thoroughly enjoy the diversity of my community which is in large part arabic and african and really wouldnt want to live anywhere else. Not so fond of the cold weather here anymore but other than that its quite nice. 😉 bless you also!

October 26, 2014 at 12:30 am | Reply