November 25th, 2014

Zedillo: Why the war on drugs is failing

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

Fareed speaks with Ernesto Zedillo, an economist who served as president of Mexico and is now the director of the Yale Center for the Study of Globalization, and Ethan Nadelmann, the executive director of the Drug Policy Alliance, about the war on drugs.

So explain, Ernesto, why you think the drug war has failed.

Zedillo: Well, by any objective indicator – let's look at what has happened with consumption, let's see what has happened with production of drugs, let's see how many people that are in jail. I mean, when these wars started in the U.S., you had 300,000 people in U.S. jails. Now you have 2.3 million people. And a lot of those people are in jail because of minor offenses, drug-related minor offenses.

But if you see south of the border, what we'll have to talk about thousands of people who have died in my country, you will have to speak about all these resources that flow north to south, and not only serve to buy weapons and to kill people in Mexico, but believe me, drug policies in your country, in Europe, in Latin America – everywhere – are making our job so much harder and so much more painful.

Watch the video for the full discussion.

Post by:
Topics: Drugs

1. chri§§y

Lol ty @ bobcat...you do know that wasnt me right? I KNOW where you live unlike the jughead thats been stealing my name all day yesterday. And Happy Thanksgiving to you and the missus! Ttyl

November 27, 2014 at 10:10 am | Reply
    • bobcat2u

bobcat (in a hat)©

Happy Thanksgiving chrissy. Hope all is well.
      November 27, 2014 at 6:27 am | Reply
      chrissy

I cling on to hope. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving as well. Stay warm. Louisiana can get pretty cold too.
      November 27, 2014 at 6:29 am | Reply

November 27, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

I had to really LMAO at those two entries as,

(1) I wasn't even of bed at 6:27 AM (which btw would be 5:27 AM here)

(2) I haven't used my hat ident ity in eons.

(3) You (chrissy) do know where I live, unlike Jack.

Jack needs to focus harder on geographical realities of posters as well a fashion changes. So all in all I'll give the troll a grade of C- for his attempt. Needs improvement.

November 27, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Reply
      • Jodie Aberdeen

Don't use wifi. Some nut named Phil says the boogie men are watching. L m a o

November 27, 2014 at 2:00 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Yeah Jodie. Kind of puts me in mind when I was a child back in the 50's and watching Romper Room. The hostess would pull out her "Magic Mirror" and watch all of us. It had to be true, because she would look in her mirror and say, "I can see Robbie, and Dennis and Laurie and Jodie and oh, there's Philip and Chrissy and Banasy etc. And they also had a character named Mr. Do Bee. I wonder if that was supposed to be a subliminal message to us youngens about marijuana back then !?

November 27, 2014 at 2:32 pm |
      • Jodie Aberdeen

I guess if you believe in that kind of stuff it could be. I remember my mom saying grace when we were little and she said she got it from that show "God is great God is good let us thank him for our food. Amen.

November 27, 2014 at 2:53 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Our food time grace was "Good food, good meat, Good God, let's eat."

November 27, 2014 at 3:07 pm |
      • Jodie Aberdeen

L m a o! That's better! Happy Thanksgiving!

November 27, 2014 at 3:50 pm |
      • bobcat2u

Right back atcha Jodie.

November 27, 2014 at 3:58 pm |
  2. Obese Larry the cable guy

Dang. I already got muddy butt and it ain't even noon.

November 27, 2014 at 10:13 am | Reply
  3. Obese Larry the cable guy

Whoa. Hold off on them biscuits 'n gravy, Grandma. Got me a bottle of Priolsec and a turkey to trim later on. And you are out of toilet paper. he he

November 27, 2014 at 10:23 am | Reply
  4. Reprinted With Permission

A 10-year-old tribal girl was rhaped by at least 10 members of a hindu kangaroo court in a Birbhum village, India on Monday night as punishment for having an affair with a youth from another community. She is in critical condition after the assault and is clinging to life in spite of the raipists stopping her from reaching a hospital.

November 27, 2014 at 10:34 am | Reply
  5. Reprinted With Permission

On a worst case scenario basis if 140 million women have been raiped in India (CNN Projections) typically by a gang of 5 people, then that impllies that 700 million men or half India's population are raipists (unless some are raiping multiple times). THAT IS TWICE THE POPULATION OF USA

November 27, 2014 at 10:46 am | Reply
  6. Zedillo: What the freak?

Shipments of arms going "north to south" I said. U.S. weapons to.South American drug cartels driven North by Seal Team 6 and Companies. Inner US cities must have their drugs or the kinfolk get riled up and take to the streets.
    Drug 'em down, bois.

November 27, 2014 at 11:04 am | Reply
  7. Obese Larry the cable guy

Well. My muddy butt has cleared up.

November 27, 2014 at 11:07 am | Reply
  8. Zedillo: Why the drug war?

Because Americans do drugs. And lots of them. And want Mexican pool boys and landscapers. And fruit pickers...sheepherders....cheap auto painters, etc.

November 27, 2014 at 11:11 am | Reply
  9. Zedillo: Why the drug war?

Test

November 27, 2014 at 11:12 am | Reply
  10. Reprinted With Permission

The number of foreign women visiting India has dropped by 75 per cent in the past three months following a spate of seyx attacks that have made global headlines, a new survey has found.

The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) says overall tourist arrivals are down 60 per cent year-on-year, with holidaymakers opting instead to visit other Asian countries.

November 27, 2014 at 11:16 am | Reply
  11. Zedillo: Why the drug war?

The number of American women on drugs has increased. America is the vacuum cleaner of world drug supply. Not just Mexican drugs. Whatever drugs they can gobble gobble down.

November 27, 2014 at 11:53 am | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

Hitting the sauce early ain'tcha?

November 27, 2014 at 11:56 am | Reply
      • Obese Larry the cable guy

Oh. We have a volunteer to come up on stage and help me reenact a hillbilly banging Ned Beatty in the movie "Deliverance". Come on up, Jodie. Guess who u get to be.

November 27, 2014 at 12:08 pm |
      • Jodie Aberdeen

I won't be playing either role cuz I done hang out with drunk people or watch others fu.k. Have fun perverto.

November 27, 2014 at 12:11 pm |
  12. Obese Larry the cable guy

Did I ever tell you the one about this feller telling jokes here? Bobcat2u is what he named himself. Or his mom did. I don't recall. Just jokes out of thin air having nothing to do with anything a tall. Dumber than muddy butt jokes, even. Lmao
    Man it is good not working for your sorry asses today.

November 27, 2014 at 11:58 am | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

At least we work unlike some drunk guy on welfare sitting at Starbucks with a small latte using the wifi all day like you do.

November 27, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Reply
      • Phil

Wi Fi is a tool that allows them to see you. Deep US mil Intel.

November 27, 2014 at 12:03 pm |
      • Jodie Aberdeen

L m f a o. Adjust your tin foil hat, mister.

November 27, 2014 at 12:07 pm |
      • Phil

Is true. Wi Fi is old US military technology that allowed US forces to see around walls.
        You are ignorant is all, Jodie. Probably stupid too if you are average. Bit for sure ignorant of wi fi.

November 27, 2014 at 12:14 pm |
      • Jodie Aberdeen

L m a I. No I'm not. But you are nuts. I'm gonna leave now cuz I don't want your tainted crazy to rub off on me. I don't use wifi anyway I said YOU DID. Can't read either huh? Dumb drunk homeless weirdo

November 27, 2014 at 12:20 pm |
  13. Phil's window tinting

Do not call. Eat Turkey. Sleep. Call me tomorrow.

November 27, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

"too busy writing weird stuff on a blog cuz I have no family. Will hit the food bank later for my can of hominy."

November 27, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  14. Phil

Actually, I was carved out of my dysfunctional family by the most famous man of all time. You would not know of him, though. Only what you've been told, Jodie.

November 27, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

I have eyes and I can read. Your posts are twelve levels of batsh!t crazy and you make no sense. You can pretend it's cuz of a bad childhood but you are nuts.

November 27, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Reply
  15. Jodie Aberdeen

Bye bye (or is it bi bi) crazy man. Unhappy Thanksgiving for you!

November 27, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Reply
    • Phil

Thanks giving my ass. Hagd.

November 27, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Reply
      • Jodie Aberdeen

Maybe the nearest mission will get ya something to eat if you're not too drunk.

November 27, 2014 at 12:23 pm |
  16. Phil

I had the greatest childhood ever! Wayyy better than Stewart the mouse. Wayyy better than Huck Finn. You are ignorant, Jodie. Probably a city girl.

November 27, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

Boogie man's gonna get you if you don't watch out, crazy man.

November 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Reply
      • Phil

Stfu Jodie. The NSA has already admitted to storing as data every keystroke made using a PC or cell phone for the past 6 years. Every phone call, email, website click, text message, etc. all stored as data. In an underground data storage facility in Utah that's bigger than The Pentagon building! Omg u r ignorant, Jodie. Living in a fools world.

November 27, 2014 at 12:27 pm |
      • Jodie Aberdeen

L m a o. No kidding Donnie Drunko. That's well known and you don't have any super duper secret information to give us so don't look behind you! Ooooga booooga boogie man!
        OMG ur nuts! L m a o

November 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm |
  17. Reprinted With Permission

Mahatma Gandhi::

"How dare these Indian trolls on this forum, agents of RAW (India's spy agency), spread hatred among hindus that raipe culture is prevalent in North India only. How wrong they are. Gang raipes are happening everywhere in india. It is the culture of India. I am from North India and categorically state that these are lies.If this rumor mongering does not stop, we will be out in the streets in India and there will be CIVIL WAR IN INDIA. WE WLL NOT STAND FOR THIS BACKSTABBING FROM OUR FELLOW INDIANS !!! "

November 27, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Reply
  18. Reprinted With Permission

"My name is Shankar and I am ashamed to be an Indian. My mama sent me a tiffin box . When I opened it there was a p@nis floating in the chicken curry. It was her neighbor's who raiped her. She cut it off."

November 27, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Reply
  19. Zedillo: Why the drug war?

Why? Lmao. Because Americans do a lot of drugs is why. And have to import about 20% of them that are only available at pharmacies by prescription. The druggies don't have health insurance or would just go to the pharmacy for synthetic meth and heroin.

November 27, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

Ya know booze is a drug too right? L m a o you're a stooopid drunk.

November 27, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Reply
      • Phil

Easy way for you to write it all off. Make assumptions and accusations you have no way of proving. Convenient. Blahzay, really. Boring. Of no value whatsoever .

November 27, 2014 at 12:47 pm |
      • Jodie Aberdeen

L m a o you make no sense and then try to excuse your drunkeness as ok somehow. I don't have to prove sh!t I just have to read your posts to know you're crocked.

November 27, 2014 at 12:54 pm |
  20. Deleted withoit reason

Hi. My name is Shankmore. A nickname my gay priest gave me.

November 27, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  21. Reprinted With Permission

"My name is Shankar and I am ashamed to be an Indian. My mama calls me Shanku the Skunku because of body odor issues. You can call me Beef Shanks. My partner calls me Hank."

November 27, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  22. Jodie Aberdeen

Wow this is a fun blog!

November 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  23. Reprinted With Permission

On behalf of all jobless Hindus, I apologize for the caustic comments being made. You see for most of us this is the only form of entertainment we have. As you'll probably have also figured out our IQ level is very low due broken down school system in India and DNA

November 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  24. Reprinted With Permission

"My name is Shankar and I am ashamed to be an Indian. My mama sent me a tiffin box . When I opened it there was a note from her. She asked me to go raipe some girls in India tonight. I told her NO. I will now follow Islam's teaching and respect girls. My name is Shanku and I am considering converting to Islam. "

November 27, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Reply
    • Republished with 3 remaiminh lawsuits

"My name is Shunmore. They named me that not too many years after nicknaming me Shankmore as a boy. Downstairs with the openly gay priest. Nice man, otherwise. Ask anyone. Will forgive you for 35 Hail Mary's even.

November 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Reply

What does REMAIMING mean? You keep maiming? L m a o

November 27, 2014 at 1:03 pm |
  25. Zedillo: Why the drug war?

Because Americans do sh/tloads of drugs is why you idiots.

November 27, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

Because you drink a sh!tload of booze and pretend you're better.

November 27, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Reply
  26. Zedillo: Why the drug war?

Why do Americans do so many drugs that it causes other nations to produce drugs for them?.Americans are productive yet cannot produce enough drugs for them selves to consume. Ya'll need foreigners to make even mote drugs than you make for yourselves to eat?
    Get a clue. America is the problem. Israel too.

November 27, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  27. Zedillo: Why the drug war?

Stfu Jodie and try to stay on topic of drug war. Not topic of Philip.you old hag.

November 27, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

I'm under 30. How old are you homeless crazy man?

November 27, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Reply
  28. Yodie Amberdung

Typos. Ever hear of them, Jodie?

November 27, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Reply
  29. Yodie Amberdung

Ooooh you Americans do lots of drugs.

November 27, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

Ooooh you Americans do lots of early morning drinking.

November 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Reply
  30. Obese Larry the cable guy

Dang it. I only et half a handful of Prilosec GT turbo pills and I already got muddy butt back.again.

November 27, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Reply
    • Jodie Aberdeen

That's acid reflux from your cheap whiskey dummy.

November 27, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Reply