December 11th, 2014

Ex-DoJ official: Senate report examples 'very troubling' if true

Fareed speaks with former Justice Department official John Yoo about the Senate Intelligence Committee's report on CIA interrogation methods. Watch the full interview on GPS this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN.

Forced rectal feeding, agency officials threatening to rape the mothers of prisoners, people with broken limbs being forced to stand for hours and hours, deprived of sleep for up to one week. Doesn’t that strike you as torture?

Well, those are very troubling examples. They would not have been approved by the Justice Department – they weren't approved by the Justice Department at the time. But I have to question whether they’re true because I can’t take at face value the committee’s report because there were no Republicans involved.

You know, investigations in the intelligence committee are traditionally bipartisan and the worst thing, from a lawyer’s perspective, from my perspective, is the committee didn’t interview any witnesses. And so, you have these reports, but they never gave a chance to the very participants, the people being accused, to explain themselves. And so I would want to know more about what happened in any of these cases and to see what really happened.

But I agree with you if there were people who had to undergo what you just described, none of those were approved by the Justice Department, I don’t believe they were approved by headquarters at CIA, too.

Instead, what you had, I think, was a lot of chaos and miscommunication going on in the very first months after 9/11 when both people in the White House, the executive branch and Congress were demanding that the CIA become aggressive and get started on going after al Qaeda.

But I agree with you. If these things happened as they’re described in the report, as you describe them, those were not authorized by the Justice Department. They were not supposed to be done and those people who did those are at risk legally because they were acting outside their orders.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show

1. Hannah

Blue Saffron eats monkey sh it

December 12, 2014 at 10:55 pm | Reply
    • Philip the Town Drunkard

Blue Saffron is a flower. A flower of a man who thinks roses blossom if enough people sh/t gets dumped.

December 13, 2014 at 12:06 am | Reply
  2. Philip the Town Drunkard

Am drunk. Who wants some.

December 13, 2014 at 12:03 am | Reply
  3. CIA update

The CIA moved to Denver from Langley in order to spy on "al qaeda". I have a bridge to sell you.

December 13, 2014 at 1:09 am | Reply
  4. Fairy'd Zachareah

Zzzzzz

December 13, 2014 at 1:37 am | Reply
  5. Hannah

Blue Saffron eats piggy poopie

December 13, 2014 at 3:44 am | Reply
  6. Blue Saffron

Yesterday was neato in school. We got to have assembly all morning and went to first period in the afternoon.
    After school I saw a little paki boy. He was sick. After he left the restroom and nobody was looking I ate his poop and ate his vomit. So very good.

December 13, 2014 at 3:51 am | Reply
    • rupert

Now that is what @Philip would do.
      What say you banasy chrissy ferhat bobcat self?

December 13, 2014 at 6:09 am | Reply
  7. Blue Saffron

My IQ is 68 but that does not qualify me as an idiot. I just act like one.

December 13, 2014 at 4:46 am | Reply
  8. Blue Saffron

I use multiple names in blue. I do so because I like to be stu pid and obnoxious.
    Oops. Had to much fiber. Gotta go clean up again.

December 13, 2014 at 4:50 am | Reply
  9. Blue Saffron

I love India. I admire PM Modi. Great guy.

December 13, 2014 at 4:54 am | Reply
    • j. von hettlingen

ooops I posted in wrong spot. Here gies.

Too bad he had to be rectally rehydrated. But that maybe a good thing after all.

December 13, 2014 at 6:06 am | Reply
  10. Blue Saffron

I smear poop all over my face

December 13, 2014 at 5:08 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Totally Non Sequitur. My hero @Blue Saffron can never utter such s hit speak. Only a hindu from India can and does smear s hit on his face. We call him sadhu and pundit.

December 13, 2014 at 5:54 am | Reply
    • j. von hettlingen

December 13, 2014 at 6:05 am | Reply
  11. Blue Saffron☼

I am deeply moved and hugely honored by people who clone my name and avatar as a sign of respect to me. After all I have become a brand and household name globally.

I will continue to publish my comments that are substantive and debate issues in a meaningful and enlightening way.

That I promise you.
    Again, much thanks for bestowing on me the hero like acknowledgement.

December 13, 2014 at 5:39 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Your prophet like presence has empowered us intellectually handicapped people. Thanks

December 13, 2014 at 5:52 am | Reply
      • banasy©

I'd respect you more if you answered questions when asked instead of having all of you SP pretend to be me...

Prophet-like. Lmfao.

For very obvious reasons, I didn't, and wouldn't, author such pandering tripe.

December 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm |
  12. Blue Saffron☼

Taj Mahal (purely by connotation, not size) reminds one of the saying of our dear architect friend Mies Van Der Rohe that “Less is More” and its application to India geo-politically.

The Moghals may have left behind a legacy of regality in India but it was Mies that has given Indians a political concept that may give Indian Hindus a chance at survival albeit in a fragmented form.

Rectal feeding of Modi is an extension of Mies's "Less is More" concept. In a poverty stricken country like India where famine is rampant, such a strategy may solve the hunger problem. Yet enable us to drag Modi to face criminal charges at The Hague.

December 13, 2014 at 5:45 am | Reply
    • El Conquistador

I have always been a fan of Mies Van Der Rohe. Great architect.

December 13, 2014 at 6:23 am | Reply
  13. chri§§y

@Blue Saffron you are our messiah. Bless us with your revelations. Dazzle us with your brilliance.

December 13, 2014 at 5:48 am | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Remember me Bobby? I am your furry little cat. You breaky me heart.

December 13, 2014 at 6:14 am | Reply
  14. Bo Burnside

@chrissy and @banasy your comments reflect the sentiments of millions. I have today requested Pope Francis to anoint @Blue Saffron as a saint. What an apt acknowledgement of his healing powers. Saint Blue Saffron we bow unto you. We seek enlightenment from you.

December 13, 2014 at 5:59 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Um, you realize that Blue has to be dead first?

December 13, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  15. bobcat2u

Last night a wolverine sniffed my a zz and chewed up my bollz. Now I am now like Modi of India. Boll less and rectal fed.

December 13, 2014 at 6:12 am | Reply
    • Cristobal

Hope he wasn't of hindoo denomination and raipe you.

December 13, 2014 at 6:20 am | Reply
  16. Cristobal

@Saint Blue Saffron good to see you again ladt night. Canubis and caviar a great lifestyle of a Saint! LOL.

To me you are still a buddy.

December 13, 2014 at 6:19 am | Reply
  17. El Conquistador

Tortue is just not simply bad politics it is immoral and illegal and inhumane.

There is an exception to this, however. It is OK when you rectal rehydrate Modi of India.

December 13, 2014 at 6:27 am | Reply
  18. Blue Saffron

Mmm. Just had breakfast. I was rectal forced fed. Pancakes in heavy syrup never tasted so good.

December 13, 2014 at 6:33 am | Reply
  19. Blue Saffron

I have 14 polyps in my bowels.

December 13, 2014 at 6:36 am | Reply
  20. Blue Saffron

Hannah just put on her strap on. I'm on my knees. I am about to feel something really big go inside of me-rectally speaking.

December 13, 2014 at 6:43 am | Reply
  21. Blue Saffron

Wo! Not so deep please.

December 13, 2014 at 6:47 am | Reply
  22. Loosuk

India is a country far superior to Pakistan. We all know that Pakistan is a very corrupt terrorist country. Kashmir belongs to India. Most Muslims in that region prefer it that way.
    I am a proud Indian American and a Hindu.

December 13, 2014 at 7:30 am | Reply
  23. Fairy'd Zachareah

Just a reminder: One in five American children go hungry each day. (For those of you looking down your snooty noses at people starving in India)
    You fat asses should be proud.

December 13, 2014 at 9:12 am | Reply
    • Fairy'd Zachareah

Think about it. The average American adult is obese, yet one in five children go hungry each day. Congressmen and CEOs giving themselves huge raises as so many children are going hungry.
      It's called 'greed', folks. Greedy folks, rather. Oh. And gluttony.

December 13, 2014 at 9:19 am | Reply
  24. chri§§y

Raipes are a celebration of hinduism in India. It is the very fabric of Indian hindu culture.
    It has been going on for 5000 years.

This cancer is now spreading into neighboring countries. It is also being exported to western nations where hindus migrate to.

Singapore recently arrested and deported thousands of hindus for raipes and terror.

I was raiped by Mr. Narendra Modi the Prime Minister of India when I worked for him. He drugged me and ripped my clothes. When I woke up my downstairs was painful and bloody. I reported to police in Gujarat, India but they refused to register case unless I paid them bribe.

December 13, 2014 at 9:13 am | Reply
  25. chri§§y

It is bad enough that girls are being gang raiped all over India. On top of that these hindus hang them on a mango tree. Then they are burnt up post death. How can one even begin to justify this with a conscience? This is so egregious.

The National Commission for Women (NCW) on Thursday took suo moto cognizance in gang-raipe and murder of two minors in Uttar Pradesh in India. They were raiped by their fathers, Sanjeev Gupta and Ganesha Hindukaria both brahmins of hindu caste.

December 13, 2014 at 9:18 am | Reply
  26. chri§§y

What is a hinddoou?
    Proof that skunks p huk monkeys.

December 13, 2014 at 9:20 am | Reply
  27. chri§§y

I fully support rectal feeding of ALL hindus to alleviate poverty and famine pending further medical research. I brlieve this is good public policy.

December 13, 2014 at 9:22 am | Reply
  28. DoJ

Americans raype over 250,000 men, women and children each year. The actual number of raypes is probably more than 500,000 per year since the majority of raype victims never report the crime. They keep it a secret from the police for their entire lives so that their abuser can go on abusing without fear of the police getting called, which changes their station in life from victim to volunteer.

December 13, 2014 at 9:25 am | Reply
  29. POW WOW

Well said @chrissy. I am so sad to hear that that animal raiped you as he did hundreds of other girls. I would advise that you file a case against him in a court in Bombay and pray you find a hindoo judge who is not a raipist.

December 13, 2014 at 9:26 am | Reply
  30. Ramu Gupta

Yes, we maybe rhapists but we hindus are good rhapists. So ease rectal feed us with some steaks.

December 13, 2014 at 9:29 am | Reply