December 23rd, 2014

Can man create a sun?

Tune into the latest GPS special, ‘Moonshots,’ on CNN this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET.

The sun is 27 million degrees Fahrenheit and4.6 billion years old. So what if we could somehow bring this blazing ball of energy down to Earth to power our world?

Fareed hears from Ned Sauthoff, who is leading the U.S. contribution to the 35-nation ITER project that is hoping to pull off one of the most audacious feats of physics ever witnessed: creating a star.

Watch the video for more.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show • Space

1. Robbing Williams

Fock you Donna. Bobcat admitted Xmas is a lie. Don't you have anything better to do than jump down my throat on Xmas eve, you old c unt.

December 24, 2014 at 8:17 pm | Reply
  2. Robbing Williams

Old women with big mouths are the scourge of the earth. As in Donna the banutzi.

December 24, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Reply
  3. How America's poyrn industry stole Xmas

Bunch of overweight seyx fiends is how.

December 24, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Reply
  4. How America's poyrn industry stole Xmas

Good night you party seekers.

December 24, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

Man may or may not create a sun.
    Fortunately, we know that the sun had nothing to do with the creation of man.
    It says so.

December 24, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Reply
    • Philip

Without the sun the creation of man would have been futile. I rest my case.

December 25, 2014 at 5:53 am | Reply
      • Philip

...in fact, without prions, bacteria, mold and mildew and cold and flu viruses the creation of mankind would have been futile. I rest my bones.

December 25, 2014 at 5:55 am |
      • Philip

In fact, without what we are told is "cancer", life on earth could not exist.
        You think about that, Joey. And get back to me. Thanks.

December 25, 2014 at 7:40 am |
      • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

"All you need is love."

December 25, 2014 at 7:43 am |
  6. chri§§y

Looks like a nuclear bomb went off in here, WOW! Well Merry Christmas to all anyway!

December 24, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Reply
  7. Ferhat Balkan

The new Tokamak fusion reactor... This is an example of the benefits outweighing the costs. Despite the fact that initial cost estimates were in the 5 billion Euros which ballooned to 15 billion more recently... I believe it to be the most ambitious and (if successful) the greatest achievement of mankind. The biggest hurdle to overcome will be to have a stable magnetic confinement plasma containment to maintain a self-sustained reaction. If successful, we'll have unlimited energy for thousands of years. There are no CO2 emissions and the fuel is abundant (mostly found in seawater). But the most exciting part is the potential for interstellar space travel. Spacecraft will no longer rely on solar power. Amazing stuff indeed. I can't wait!

December 24, 2014 at 10:54 pm | Reply
  8. Philip

Put a cork in it, Furhat. We already have enough proven natural gas reserves to fuel mankind for millions of years. Stop being impressed by grown men squandering money on hobbies that amount to nothing. Not to mention Tesla's free energy blue beam technology being withheld from humanity by the US gubment.

December 25, 2014 at 5:28 am | Reply
  9. Philip

To: banasy©
    From: Philip
    Dear Donna. I am so sorry for calling you the c word. I just get so upset with you sometimes. I promise never to do it again. Please forgive me.
    Sincerely, Philip Douglas.

December 25, 2014 at 5:30 am | Reply
  10. Philip

To: Chris's
    From: Philip
    I am sorry for being mean to you. I know you are a good and fine woman. Banasy too. I don't recall if I ever called you the c word but am sorry if I did. Please forgive me.
    Sincerely, Philip Douglas. SS # 524-06-1460 🙂

December 25, 2014 at 5:39 am | Reply
    • Philip

*To: Chrissy, rather. Dang auto"correct", and my old eyes.

December 25, 2014 at 5:41 am | Reply
  11. Philip

Am just sitting here in my chair by the fireplace...Remington model.1100 12 ga. mag on my lap. Have set a trap of milk and cookies. Hoping to bag me a fat burglar this season. Plus I have 2 elf tags.

December 25, 2014 at 5:46 am | Reply
  12. Philip

I recall as a little boy thinking there's no way in heck a bunch of freaking midgets can make enough presents for everyone.

December 25, 2014 at 5:49 am | Reply
  13. Philip

...am about ready to shoot that freaking Energizer Bunny if it pops up on my screen one more time.

December 25, 2014 at 5:51 am | Reply
  14. Philip

To: Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©
    From: Philip
    I really appreciate you being here. You have become somewhat of a linchpin around here...never getting caught-up in the emotional struggles of us lesser folk. Lol. 🙂 Really. You are a stalwart in my eyes. And I admire you greatly.
    Sincerely, Philip Eugene Douglas.
    Yes. I hate my middle name.

December 25, 2014 at 6:07 am | Reply
  15. Philip

Darn it. Am trying to think of the name of a fellow who used to blog here regularly on CNN. He passed away a year or two ago and his wife came here and said to us Thank You for being his friend and missing him as she. Am embarrassed I don't recall his name. He was a fine man and admirable in so many ways.
    Argh! I can't find him in my brain files. Help?

December 25, 2014 at 6:11 am | Reply
    • @Philip

That gentleman's screen name was Lee In Tulsa.

December 25, 2014 at 8:11 am | Reply
      • Philip

Yes, it was. Thank you. Resting in peace is Lee in Tulsa.

December 25, 2014 at 9:36 am |
  16. Philip

To: Mary
    From: Philip
    I am sorry you travelled all the way to Colorado from New York to lay your eyes on me but I didn't even spare you a cup of coffee for your efforts in my regard. I wish I would have gone to the airport that day, and picked you up. And shown me to you along with the marvels my homeland has to offer.
    Am sorry, Mary. And truly hope life is good for you. And I miss you a lot.
    Love, Philip Douglas. 😦

December 25, 2014 at 6:17 am | Reply
  17. Philip

To: Observer
    From: Philip
    Who are you?

December 25, 2014 at 6:20 am | Reply
  18. Philip

To: ThomasD, wherever you are.
    From: Philip
    I hope you caught some fish, finally. Lol. Miss you ThomasD. And that mulled wine banasy and Chrissy drank with us in that make-believe hot tub.

December 25, 2014 at 6:23 am | Reply
    • Philip

...how long ago was that? Like, 3 years ago?

December 25, 2014 at 6:48 am | Reply
  19. Philip

Ummm. It's 8am on the East Coast. Are you ALL still sleeping?

December 25, 2014 at 6:59 am | Reply
  20. Philip

Am dressing up as a homeless bum. To go downtown with $100 in my pocket. In search of someone in desperate need. Or to just go have a good time with our homeless folk at Dorchester park.
    I will keep yous posted concerning this venture of mine. I do this quite often, you know.

December 25, 2014 at 7:03 am | Reply
    • Philip

...I am a single man and so can get away with it. You married men should stay home with your families today. Or maybe take your kids for a ride and have them help you give something to the needy in your town.

December 25, 2014 at 7:07 am | Reply
  21. Philip

Oh how could I ever forget.

To rupert:

How could I ever forget you my dearest friend? It has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you. Yes, we kid around, but deep inside we have a true friendship.

If you are ever around Colorado please look me up. I'll be sure to pick you up at the airport.

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without rupert.

Sincerely,

Philip Eugene Douglass

December 25, 2014 at 7:13 am | Reply
    • Philip

Stfu, poopert. You are a newbie around here and so do not count yet.

December 25, 2014 at 7:15 am | Reply
    • Philip

...and there's only one S in my last name, you moron.

December 25, 2014 at 7:17 am | Reply
    • Philip

..."ever around Colorado"? How old are you, rupert? 12?

December 25, 2014 at 7:35 am | Reply
  22. Philip

To: Dear Raven
    From: Philip
    I miss you being here. You are such a wonderful woman to me.
    Love, Philip

December 25, 2014 at 7:19 am | Reply
  23. Philip

To: rupert
    From: Philip
    OK. Who are you and where are you from. And, what do you do for a living. Go.

December 25, 2014 at 7:23 am | Reply
  24. Adriana Grande

Hello to all music fans out there. Thanks to you my latest hit topped two million in CD sales. Please keep watching my videos in Youtube and listening to my music.

Hi grandma. Love you Nanna.

December 25, 2014 at 7:51 am | Reply
  25. Philip

Sheesh. Am downtown and so far have only seen one homeless person. And he was a well equipped professional homeless man needing no help.
    Am going down by the river near the soup kitchen now.

December 25, 2014 at 8:31 am | Reply
  26. Blue Saffron

Why don't you take a jump in the lake while you're at it. I hear it's below freezing this time of year.

December 25, 2014 at 8:39 am | Reply
    • Philip

Happy Holidays to you too Blue Sukkon. And kiss my grits.

December 25, 2014 at 9:33 am | Reply
  27. Blue Saffron

That one homeless man is probably a better dresser than you.

December 25, 2014 at 8:41 am | Reply
    • Philip

Well duh. I'm dressed up as as a homeless man you turd.

December 25, 2014 at 9:31 am | Reply
  28. Philip

Nothing but professional homeless men down by the river, and so am at the homeless shelter on the women's side. Armed with $50 bucks worth of toys and 10 $5 dollar bills. 🙂

December 25, 2014 at 9:28 am | Reply
  29. Philip

Ha! I found a homeless woman crying all alone. She is crying for her unborn baby. I comforted her and told her how much her baby means to God. And that Colorado Springs takes care of our women folk better than any, and gave her some cash to orove it. he he She kind of looks like Mukazi. 🙂

December 25, 2014 at 9:44 am | Reply
  30. Ghost Of Christmas Past

You have been very bad for many years. You are in the road to recovery. But you still have a way to go, Philip Scrooge.

December 25, 2014 at 10:09 am | Reply