December 23rd, 2014

Can man create a sun?

Tune into the latest GPS special, ‘Moonshots,’ on CNN this Sunday at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET.

The sun is 27 million degrees Fahrenheit and4.6 billion years old. So what if we could somehow bring this blazing ball of energy down to Earth to power our world?

Fareed hears from Ned Sauthoff, who is leading the U.S. contribution to the 35-nation ITER project that is hoping to pull off one of the most audacious feats of physics ever witnessed: creating a star.

Watch the video for more.

Post by:
Topics: GPS Show • Space

1. Philip

Wondering if liquor stores are closed nationwide except on Indian reservations.

December 25, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  2. Philip

Black or blue it's up to you!

December 25, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Reply
    • Philip

For my next trick I will pull Rupert's head out of a flushing toilet bowl with BOTH sleeves rolled-up so you know I'm not cheating.

December 25, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  3. Hillbilly Blue Saffron

Testi

December 25, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Reply
    • Black Saffron

boi

December 25, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  4. Philip

Lol. "Buy the GPS mug". I'll trade my Fareed bobble head toy for 3 GPS coffee mugs.

December 25, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Reply
  5. Philip

No. Man cannot create a sun. Perhaps a small model of one. And man cannot create an earth, and so far has only found one that we know of. "Know". Not suspect.

December 25, 2014 at 7:33 pm | Reply
  6. Philip

Can monkey create a light bulb? Same difference.

December 25, 2014 at 11:39 pm | Reply
  7. chri§§y

My questioning to God: how can someone so miserable as that waste of oxygen above be allowed to continue, while good, kind decent people are not? Please help me understand this. Because i just dont get why mean, miserable pieces of sh!t who contribute nothing positive to todays society continue breathing and decent people are taken too soon.

December 26, 2014 at 6:10 am | Reply
  8. chri§§y

Meant to say "that waste of oxygen above ME"

December 26, 2014 at 6:12 am | Reply
    • Philip

You had it right the first time, dummy.

December 26, 2014 at 7:50 am | Reply
  9. Philip

You are a mean spirited person, Chrissy. Bad to the bone. And you should leave God out of this for you do not know Him or you wouldn't be questioning him. You are a very old woman and have had decades to find the answers to your questions that are found in God's word. You failed miserably along those lines and so still question God as if you were His equal.

December 26, 2014 at 7:32 am | Reply
    • Philip

For example, decent people are not "taken" as you describe. They die and are sleeping in death just as Jesus described. We call it "RIP", resting in peace. You call it "taken". You are in disagreement with God's word, Chrissy. Not just in disagreement with me.

December 26, 2014 at 7:42 am | Reply
      • rupert

"decent people" well, that leaves u out Philip.

December 26, 2014 at 8:01 am |
      • Philip

You don't know me well enough to judge me, poopert. So back off.

December 26, 2014 at 8:37 am |
      • banasy©

Then what makes you think you know Chrissy well enough to judge?

December 26, 2014 at 9:01 am |
      • Philip

I was judging Chrissy's words based on what the bible teaches. Her idea that God "takes" people is erroneous, based on God's word, not based on what I think of her.
        I offered a peace accord on the N. Korea thread. Please accept it and lets move on. Thank you.

December 26, 2014 at 9:38 am |
      • banasy©

First of all, you were making a judgement not based on her words about God with this: : "You are a mean spirited person, Chrissy. Bad to the bone."

Secondly, are you talking about this olive branch that you tried to hand us, while on fire?

"Peace offering for Chu$$sty and Banazi: Yous will not address me nor refer to my person any longer and I will do the same on your accounts. If one of us does address or refer to the other party then said party agrees to leave GPS for one month. Deal?"

Your peace offering started out by calling me a Nazi. Again.

You are really beyond the pale, Philip. You don't get to try and broker deals that are petty and one-sided.

And you just broke your own deal by addressing Chrissy, so, buh bye.

December 26, 2014 at 9:56 am |

Oh, I missed this one:

I, Philip, agree to not address Chrissy or banasy for one full month, and not refer to their persons here. Yous, Chrissy and banasy, agree to the same. We also agree to not take personal general references made by either party. (for example, if I say "What hag ladies think", you will not assume I am referring to your person) If any party breaks this accord, said party agrees to not blog on GPS for one month.
        signed,
        Philip.
        Now you two old hags sign this accord and lets be rid of one another.

For this alone, fail.

December 26, 2014 at 4:46 pm |
    • Philip

sign the accord and it all ends

December 26, 2014 at 10:14 am | Reply
      • Philip

...you are a NAZI. That's my opinion of you, like it or not.

December 26, 2014 at 10:18 am |

No, I am not.

You just get your cheap thrills reminding me of a painful chapter of my family history.

I am not the one who wishes death on elderly women. That's a pure Nazi construct if I ever saw one.

December 26, 2014 at 10:51 am |
  10. Philip

OK. I'll give you that one; let's say man CAN create a sun. Now, can GPS create something else for us to fight about?

December 26, 2014 at 7:34 am | Reply
  11. Philip

On CNN today: The hole in earth's ozone layer is healing. Which of course is BS.
    Back in the 70's government officials warned of the world running out of oil before the year 2000, and claimed our pollution had caused a hole to appear in the ozone layer. Years later, scientists discovered that "hole" had been there for eons...literally burned into the ozone layer by one big volcano in Antarctica. Without that hole, life on earth could never have happened. (not enough UV light would pass through the ozone layer and so plants would not be able to flourish and mankind would not be able to digest food properly. UV light is vital to digestion)
    Today, government officials and tree huggers claim mankind is causing the earth to warm. The earth has been warming for some 10 thousand years. The polar ice cap used to cover most of N. America but has been melting due to global warming for 10K years.
    Both the hole in our ozone layer and global warming are all natural, not caused by puny little men.

December 26, 2014 at 8:34 am | Reply
  12. Quote of the Week

"It was shocking. It was stunning." - Brent Erickson, after witnessing a Douglas County sheriff's patrol dog, a 3 year old Belgian Malinois, fatally maul an 11 year-old pet shih Tzu named Annie during a soccer game Sunday.
    Of course that deputy dog needs put down. As do all mean dogs and elderly women. 🙂

December 26, 2014 at 9:52 am | Reply
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

In Jif's opinion, Decent Dogs Don't Fight.
    Aggression is completely foreign to canine nature.
    So-called "dogfights" are harmful to children and other living things. They also damage many of the flowers.
    Paz.

December 26, 2014 at 10:13 am | Reply
    • Philip

We aren't talking about natural canaines, Joey. Genetically modified mutants that do not obey the laws of nature, such as dog does not bite man.

December 26, 2014 at 10:16 am | Reply
      • Philip

*canines

December 26, 2014 at 10:16 am |
    • Philip

Each day, about 1,000 U.S. citizens require emergency care treatment for dog bite injury. Tripping over a pet is a leading cause of injury to old folks. Imagine if terrorists injured that many of US each day. We would be in outrage. But because it's a dog instead of a man doing the injury, we let it go as "normal".

December 26, 2014 at 10:26 am | Reply
  14. Philip

Why do old ladies respond to little things men like me say, but keep their big mouths shut on the big things men like me say. (like my post concerning global warming and the hole in the ozone layer. Not a peep from the old hags. They swooped down on tiny little personal matters as vultures go for rotting meat.

December 26, 2014 at 10:22 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Probably because we've addressed this years ago?

Nobody likes the drunk uncle that keeps telling the same stories over and over.

Stop being that uncle.

December 26, 2014 at 10:56 am | Reply
      • Philip

Who is this "we" you speak of? You are not the spokesperson for all old hags. Just the most prominent one here.
        Now scram. Go play with your hubby and stop playing with me. Thanks.

December 26, 2014 at 11:06 am |
      • banasy©

You are quite the ignorant ass, aren't you?

This topic has been discussed before over the years.

Just because you are too addled to remember does not mean it hasn't been discussed.

December 26, 2014 at 11:24 am |
  15. chri§§y

Thank you @ rupert..he is the most indecent human roaming the earth!

December 26, 2014 at 10:51 am | Reply
  16. chri§§y

And people with that much evilness and hatred such as pullup (training pants for toddlers) should not be allowed to roam free. And even tho he CLAIMS to help others his words indicate the very opposite! He is a blight on society!

December 26, 2014 at 10:57 am | Reply
  17. chri§§y

Lol @ banasy...you forgot "that drunk uncle"! Every family has one so we know what youre speaking of.

December 26, 2014 at 11:00 am | Reply
  18. chri§§y

My bad @ banasy you DID say DRUNK uncle. Forgive me.

December 26, 2014 at 11:02 am | Reply
  19. palintwit

We wish you a Palin Christmas,
    We wish you a Palin Christmas,
    We wish you a Palin Christmas...
    Tea Baggers drop dead !

– sung to the tune of Foggy Mountain Breakdown by Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs –

December 26, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Reply
  20. bobcat2u

Well now. It's the day after Christmas and picking up the conversation pretty much where we left off on the day "before" Christmas. Let me start off by untwisting my words that were twisted into something I didn't say. I did not say it was a lie. That's not my judgement to make. A persons right to celebrate the birth of Christ is just that, a right. The argument over exactly when he was born is a non issue in my opinion. The fact that he was born in the first place is what matters. He is worshipped for what he taught and what he represents. Just because the date of birth may not be accurate, the fact that he is, is what matters.

December 26, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Reply

I agree.

If twisting words is the only way one can "win" a debate, it was lost before it even started.

As you said in the beginning: there's no debate.

December 26, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

I know banasy. I leave here for a day and return to see my words used to further ones agenda. I'm glad you understood what I said.

December 26, 2014 at 1:34 pm |
  21. Philip

Funny how I'm the topic daily among the old hag gossip crowd. You old fat hags can kiss my ass. You are BOTH very ignorant of scripture, world events, reality, drugs, Muslim Brotherhood, the damages done by fat hag ladies who were rayped but keep it a secret all their lives, etc etc etc. And think that gay priests caught butt rayping little boys are child molesters rather than what they really are: statutory rapists.
    Am done with you stupid old hags. F off and die.
    Do not bother addressing me in the future. You will get not one more word out of me. Butt ugly fat hags.

December 26, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

@ Philip
      My final response to you as well. My only response to you was the fact there was nothing to debate, as what you said was common knowledge. You chose to use those few words and say I called Christmas a lie. I didn't. It's not mine or anyones place to tell another how to worship. And my knowledge of the bible is sufficient. I've studied with many different sects, which give me the tolerance to respect what others believe and the way they may think.
      That's it. I hope you have a wonderful future, how ever long that may last.

December 26, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

All the knowledge in the world doesn't prevent you from being an ignorant ass, Philip.

Where has all of this knowledge led you? Bitter and alone.

Hiding behind the Scriptures to justify your hate is as cowardly a move as your tedious attempts to insult people you do not know.

See, here's the thing: disagreeing with your mindset doesn't mean a damn thing, intelligence-wise; it merely means some of us do not conform to your narrow world-view

December 26, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

...and in addition, your vast "knowledge" does not seem to have brought you one iota of happiness or contentment; so what is the point?

Oh, I must say that Jesus would totally be down with "F off and die." Flipping hypocrite.

December 26, 2014 at 2:00 pm |
  22. bobcat2u

The twelve days after Christmas

The first day after Christmas
    My true love and I had a fight
    And so I chopped the pear tree down
    And burnt it, just for spite

Then with a single cartridge
    I shot that blasted partridge

My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.

The second day after Christmas
    I pulled on the old rubber gloves
    And very gently wrung the necks
    Of both the turtle doves

My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.

On the third day after Christmas
    My mother caught the croup
    I had to use the three French hens
    To make some chicken soup

The four calling birds were a big mistake For their language was obscene
    The five golden rings were completely fake and turned my fingers green.

The sixth day after Christmas
    The six laying geese wouldn't lay
    So I sent the whole darn gaggle to the
    A.S.P.C.A.

My true love, my true love, my true love gave to me.

On the seventh day, what a mess I found The seven swans-a-swimming all had drowned.

The eighth day after Christmas
    Before they could suspect
    I bundled up the
    Eight maids-a-milking
    Nine ladies dancing
    Ten lords-a-leaping
    Eleven pipers piping
    Twelve drummers drumming
    And sent them back collect

I wrote my true love
    "We are through, love!"
    And I said in so many words
    "Furthermore your Christmas gifts were for the Birds!"

Four calling birds,
    Three French hens,
    Two turtle doves
    And a partridge in a pear tree!"

December 26, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Over the years, I have read various articles about the worth and the upkeep of these "gifts", and the number was staggering...

Not to mention the whole human trafficking aspect of it all...

December 26, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Reply
      • bobcat2u

And banasy, it is because of these problems you have mentioned that we have proceeded to make the following amendments :

Effective immediately, the following economizing measures are being implemented in the "Twelve Days of Christmas" subsidiary:

1) The partridge will be retained, but the pear tree, which never produced the cash crop forecasted, will be replaced by a plastic hanging plant, providing considerable savings in maintenance

2) Two turtle doves represent a redundancy that is simply not cost effective. In addition, their romance during working hours could not be condoned. The positions are, therefore, eliminated

3) The three French hens will remain intact. After all, everyone loves the French

4) The four calling birds will be replaced by an automated voice mail system, with a call waiting option. An analysis is underway to determine who the birds have been calling, how often and how long they talked.

5) The five golden rings have been put on hold by the Board of Directors. Maintaining a portfolio based on one com mo dity could have negative implications for inst itutional investors. Diversification into other precious metals, as well as a mix of T-Bills and high technology stocks, appear to be in order

6) The six geese-a-laying const itutes a luxury which can no longer be afforded. It has long been felt that the production rate of one egg per goose per day was an example of the general decline in productivity. Three geese will be let go, and an upgrading in the selection procedure by personnel will as sure management that, from now on, every goose it gets will be a good one

7) The seven swans-a-swimming is obviously a number chosen in better times. The function is primarily decorative. Mechanical swans are on order. The current swans will be retrained to learn some new strokes, thereby enhancing their outplacement

8) As you know, the eight maids-a-milking concept has been under heavy scrutiny by the EEOC. A male/female balance in the workforce is being sought. The more militant maids consider this a dead-end job with no upward mobility. Automation of the process may permit the maids to try a-mending, a-mentoring or a-mulching

9) Nine ladies dancing has always been an odd number. This function will be phased out as these individuals grow older and can no longer do the steps

10) Ten Lords-a-leaping is overkill. The high cost of Lords, plus the expense of international air travel, prompted the Com pensation Com mittee to suggest replacing this group with ten out-of-work congressmen. While leaping ability may be somewhat sacrificed, the savings are significant as we expect an oversupply of unemployed congressmen this year

11) Eleven pipers piping and twelve drummers drumming is a simple case of the band getting too big. A substi tution with a string quartet, a cutback on new music, and no uniforms, will produce savings which will drop right to the bottom line

Overall we can expect a substantial reduction in as sorted people, fowl, animals and related expenses. Though incomplete, studies indicate that stretching deliveries over twelve days is inefficient. If we can drop ship in one day, service levels will be improved.

Regarding the lawsuit filed by the attorney's association seeking expansion to include the legal profession ("thirteen lawyers-a-suing"), a decision is pending.

Deeper cuts may be necessary in the future to remain competi tive. Should that happen, the Board will request management to scrutinize the Snow White Division to see if seven dwarfs is the right number.

December 26, 2014 at 2:24 pm |
      • banasy©

Glad I could be you comedic wingman, darlin'.

Lmao

December 26, 2014 at 2:37 pm |
      • bobcat2u

banasy, that was the perfect set up. Thank you. To be honest, I didn't see it coming either. But it did remind me of a joke.

December 26, 2014 at 3:01 pm |

It was magnificent, BC.
        Just perfect.

December 26, 2014 at 3:19 pm |
      • Bobscat

Mind if I smell your ass, banasy?

December 26, 2014 at 4:21 pm |
      • banasy©

Yes, Philip, because if you came near enough to me, you'd be in prison, where you belong.

Perhaps the hospital wing of it, drinking through a straw because your jaw would be wired shut.

December 26, 2014 at 4:41 pm |
  23. Philip

Man cannot create a sun nor cause global warming nor can man cause global climate change. All man can do is make models of things observed in nature, and pump enough billions of cubic feet of pollution into the air to make weather , not climate, change for the worse.
    Man cannot even govern himself as the history of nations proves without a doubt.

December 26, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Reply
  24. Philip

Did you hear the one about Santa coming out of the closet and becoming a priest? Yeah. Butt salve became the number one item on elf wish lists.

December 26, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Reply
  25. Philip

Tree Huggers tell you that YOU caused the entire earth's climate to change. Industrialists will tell you that global climate warming is a myth. BOTH are liars promoting their own selfish agendas.
    The TRUTH is, our pollution is shade over water which causes water lo take longer to evaporate. Evaporating water is what drives the earths weather. And so water takes longer to evaporate and form rain clouds. Rain that used to fall in one place now falls elsewhere causing droughts is some places and severe flooding in others. Pollution has changed the WEATHER, not the climate.
    Just as democrat and republican leaders each give you a story and you choose one or the other are Tree Huggers and Industrialists. Why you believe one side or the other without thinking for yourself is beyond me.

December 26, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Reply
  26. Zach

No way. Maybe small duplicate.

December 26, 2014 at 4:45 pm | Reply
  27. Zach

Interesting comments. But I found the article much more relevant.

December 26, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Reply
  28. Philip

UPDATED HAG LIST
    1. banasy
    2 rupert
    3. bobcat
    4. chrissy
    To change without notice

December 26, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  29. rupert

NOT FAIR! NOT FAIR!
    @ philip. Where is Blue Saffron. What makes him so special.
    Please revise and take me off Philip. I promise to behave.

December 26, 2014 at 6:59 pm | Reply