December 23rd, 2014

Mistakes made over 'The Interview' response

Watch "Fareed Zakaria GPS," Sundays at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET on CNN

By Fareed Zakaria

Why does a terrorist threat from North Korea produce appeasement and indifference whereas threats from Islamic terrorists produce courage, and defiance, and resilience? I suspect that it's because we are fully aware of the barbarism of Jihadi terrorists.

But we tend to think of North Korea in somewhat comical terms – the odd dictators with their strange haircuts, the weird synchronized mass-adulation in stadiums, the retro-propaganda and rhetoric.

In fact, North Korea is one of the world's most repressive and brutal dictatorships. Estimates are that it allowed one to two million of its own people to starve in a famine in the 1990s. The United Nations says that North Korea abducted thousands of people from neighboring countries following the Korean War and currently imprisons about 100,000 people in brutal labor camps. That statistic comes from a U.N. panel commissioned to investigate the human rights situation in North Korea. Its report, released in February, paints a picture of a regime that really has no parallel in the scale of its cruelty and oppression.

The challenge that movie studios and theaters face is real because they have to balance the issue of freedom of expression with safety and commerce.

But they have made a mistake.

Watch the video for the full Take or read the WaPo column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

Next entry »
  1. chri§§y

@ philip...its just another excuse for the pentagon to get more funding! And the american people are NOT so gullible about that tactic anymore!

December 25, 2014 at 11:21 pm | Reply
    • Philip

No, it's not. It's the commander in chief not wanting to send US troops to battle Muslim Brotherhood backed by American leaders. You dummies think "ISIS" just found all of those shiny new Hum Vees abandoned in a warehouse somewhere is how gullible you are.

December 25, 2014 at 11:42 pm | Reply
      • Philip

...and the Pentagon spends 3/4ths of their budget on themselves...military enti tlrments. Funds for waging invasions and occupations of foreign lands is "borrowed" from our Social Security national treasury. So much for your stupid theory, Chrissy.

December 25, 2014 at 11:48 pm |
  2. Philip

Good night blogdumb. Blogdom, proper. Zzzzzzz

December 25, 2014 at 11:44 pm | Reply
  3. Blue Saffron☼

Forceful conversions of Christians in India by people of hindu denomination has to be condemned.

Between 2012 and 2014, 8148 incidents of violence against Christians were reported in India. In 2013, 3424 such incidents were reported. In 2014 there was a further flare up of tensions in Orissa. This was followed by an attack on a 150 year old church in Madhya Pradesh and mire attacks in Karnataka. Recall that hundreds of nuns have been raiped in India.

Pope has taken notice.

December 26, 2014 at 2:12 am | Reply
    • Blue Saffron☼

Deportation of Indians is an option. Putting them in camps merits attention. While stop issuing visas in India certainly plausible. Point to be taken is that action needs to taken to send a strong message to Modi that his usual genocidal and minority bashing will not be tolerated and that drones are being programmed.

December 26, 2014 at 2:16 am | Reply
      • Black Betsy

All of the above is way to go.

December 26, 2014 at 2:37 am |
  4. Hannah

@Blue Saffron unless that tea maker Modi is dragged to the Int'l Criminal Court and tried this is just not going to stop in India. Drones cannot stop this. Nuclear bombs may.

December 26, 2014 at 2:19 am | Reply
    • Philip

The United States stopped being a member of the World Court/ICC shortly before illegally bombing down Iraq. And so Americans have no say as to who or who is not dragged before the World Court.
      Most dummies think the USA is still a member of the international community. Why they are called Dummies. And another reason why the world hates US.

December 26, 2014 at 7:23 am | Reply
  5. Hannah

@LOL @Bats are back in the cave in Veranasi. Productive night out metal rodding.

December 26, 2014 at 2:21 am | Reply
  6. Black Betsy

Oh how hard they try to disguise their tiffin box origin. Curry all the way,

Jhinga Bells, folks.

December 26, 2014 at 2:36 am | Reply
  7. chri§§y

Ya know what i dont give 2 sh!ts about any of your dumbazz conspiracy theories! And WHY are YOU still addressing me? Arent you close enough to the planets edge to fall off already? I mean its dumbazzes like you that thing the earth is still flat right? Be gone with your miserable self please!

December 26, 2014 at 6:21 am | Reply
    • Philip

Not conspiracy theories. Statistics. The Pentagon spends 3/4ths of national defense spending on themselves. The remaining 25% is STATISTICALLY not enough to wage war with and so our national treasury Social Security goes to the Pgon.

December 26, 2014 at 7:16 am | Reply
    • Philip

Huh? Centuries before Christopher Columbus set sail The Bible described the earth as being a sphere. Get a clue, Chrissy.

December 26, 2014 at 7:19 am | Reply
  8. Cameron

I love lemon squares... The shape of the earth.

December 26, 2014 at 7:00 am | Reply
  9. chri§§y

And at your 10:19 pm post...i was NOT addressing YOUR dumb hateful retarded azz! Unless you are now claiming to be rupert? But WHEN you start calling me names, damn tootin ill have something to your ignorant azz you miserable, useless POS!

December 26, 2014 at 7:08 am | Reply
    • Philip

Public domain, Chru$$ty. Ever hear of it. I suggest we simply ignore each other from now on. The next one of us who addresses the other or refers to the other will voluntarily leave GPS. Deal?

December 26, 2014 at 8:41 am | Reply
  10. chri§§y

Something to *say* to your ignorant azz!

December 26, 2014 at 7:12 am | Reply
  11. Peter

My turducken was fabulous.
    Followed by chocolate layer with vanilla ic.

December 26, 2014 at 8:20 am | Reply
  12. Philip

Peace offering for Chu$$sty and Banazi: Yous will not address me nor refer to my person any longer and I will do the same on your accounts. If one of us does address or refer to the other party then said party agrees to leave GPS for one month. Deal?

December 26, 2014 at 8:42 am | Reply
    • Philip

Do we have an accord? I nominate Joey as administrator deciding which party broke the accord. Agreed?

December 26, 2014 at 9:08 am | Reply
      • rupert

NO DEAL.

December 26, 2014 at 9:53 am |
  13. rupert

What's wrong Philip? Having a bad hair day?
    no deal. I will a address u and the paki trolls as I feel.
    Got it? Ok then.
    I have read your many posts. U are coockoo.

December 26, 2014 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Philip

Take issue with one thing I posted and let's debate, Rupert. That, or stfu.

December 26, 2014 at 9:54 am | Reply
      • rupert

Coockoo
        coockoo

December 26, 2014 at 9:59 am |
  14. Blue Saffron☼

Globally people are disgruntled and long standing issues keep on festering. World organizations such as UN have failed. Super powers have been put to ridicule and become the butt of jokes. Diseases are rampant and locksmiths are making more money than doctors. Murderers and genocidalists are being elected as leaders. My wishes and prayers go out to all.

December 26, 2014 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Philip

Globally, people are disgruntled at Americans who are only 4% of the world's population but consume over 30% of world produce, and cause upwards of 41% of the earth's pollution. (pollution caused by goods made in China and sold in America are counted as pollution caused by Americans, not Chinese)
      The world is disgruntled at Americans for being able to afford to become obese while being the deepest in debt nation in history. The world is disgruntled at Americans building a huge army and invading and occupying over 130 countries.
      The world IS disgruntled. At US and Israel, the two nations standing in the way of peace. (according to Reuters worldwide surveys)

December 26, 2014 at 10:04 am | Reply
  15. rupert

U are so coockoo that even blue saffron troll and the rest of his Muppets think u are coockoo.

December 26, 2014 at 9:52 am | Reply
  16. rupert

Coockoo.
    Coockoo.

December 26, 2014 at 9:52 am | Reply
  17. rupert

My name is Rupert and I am ashamed to be an Indian. My mama sent me a tiffin box . When I opened it there was a note from her. She asked me to go raype some girls in India tonight. I told her NO. I will now follow Islam's teaching and respect girls. My name is rupee and I am considering converting to Islam.

I will have my wiener whacked.

December 26, 2014 at 9:55 am | Reply
  18. rupert

Chrissy and I went raiping in Madras last night.

December 26, 2014 at 9:57 am | Reply
  19. rupert

I see Blue Saffron has arrived. Go play with Philip.
    Have fun boys.
    buh bye.

December 26, 2014 at 9:58 am | Reply
  20. The Accord

I, Philip, agree to not address Chrissy or banasy for one full month, and not refer to their persons here. Yous, Chrissy and banasy, agree to the same. We also agree to not take personal general references made by either party. (for example, if I say "What hag ladies think", you will not assume I am referring to your person) If any party breaks this accord, said party agrees to not blog on GPS for one month.
    signed,
    Philip.
    Now you two old hags sign this accord and lets be rid of one another.

December 26, 2014 at 9:59 am | Reply
  21. rupert

@Philip come f ukk me with your sweaty h airy bollz.

December 26, 2014 at 9:59 am | Reply
    • rupert

Yuk!

December 26, 2014 at 10:14 am | Reply
  22. rupert

Oh I forgot Philip you have no bollz like Chrissy.

December 26, 2014 at 10:02 am | Reply
    • Philip

You would not say that to my face, Rupert. You are a coward hiding behind a screen name.

December 26, 2014 at 10:06 am | Reply
      • rupert

Coockoo coockoo.
        Sorry Philip. Gotta go with the trillionn this one.

U H.A.V.E. NO B.A.L.L.S NOR A GOOD SIZE WORKING WE WE

December 26, 2014 at 10:09 am |
  23. rupert

THE ACCORD

I rupert agree that whenever I post "coockoo. Coockoo," Philip will know I am referring to him since he posts really dumb stuff.

Philip will be addressed by me whenever I say so and there's nothing he can do about it.

Also, Blue Saffron and all his little Muppets can just KMA as well as Philip.

December 26, 2014 at 10:05 am | Reply
    • Philip

There IS something I could do about it, Rupert. I could hire an IT tech, track you down, and choke you with my bare hands. For $49,95.

December 26, 2014 at 10:09 am | Reply
      • rupert

Coockoo coockoo

PHILIP HAS NO B.A.L.L.S

December 26, 2014 at 10:12 am |
    • rupert

Coockoo coockoo

PHILIP HAS NO B.A.L.L.S.

December 26, 2014 at 10:12 am | Reply
  24. rupert

Aww there go the little blue Muppets.

December 26, 2014 at 10:07 am | Reply
  25. rupert

@Philip
    coockoo
    coockoo
    Philip HAS NO B.A.L.L.S
    PHILIP HAS NO B.A.L.L.S

December 26, 2014 at 10:10 am | Reply
  26. rupert

Coockoo
    coockoo
    coockoo

PHILIP ENJOYS MY B.A.L.L.S.
    BECAUSE
    HE HAS NO B.A.L.L.S.

December 26, 2014 at 10:14 am | Reply
  27. rupert

Coockoo
    coockoo

December 26, 2014 at 10:15 am | Reply
  28. Blue Saffron☼

I bow my head to those who fight for freedom.

December 26, 2014 at 10:20 am | Reply
  29. rupert

No. U bow your head to give me head.
    just like Philip does.

December 26, 2014 at 10:24 am | Reply
  30. rupert

Now start bowing mother fukker

December 26, 2014 at 10:25 am | Reply