December 29th, 2014

Why giving shouldn't be a solitary activity

By Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn

Editor's note: Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn are the authors of A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity. This is the second in a series of three guest posts.

Secular people often make giving a solitary activity at the end of the year, one that feels like a sacrifice. That’s the wrong way to think about giving back. We learned a lot from churches and temples and the way they turn giving into an enjoyable, uplifting social activity. Our profile of a master pastor at a mega-church, Bill Hybels, reveals some of the magic he employs.  We all are social animals and when we do things with a group of people we like, the activity becomes more fun.

So form a book club and engage in a few volunteer or giving activities together—or link your book club to Book Clubs for Change, bookclubs4change.org. Choose a need in your community or an area of the world that you all care about. Then choose a topic and an organization you might work with. Or maybe consider an on-location trip to the area and meet some of the people you want to help?

Or join a chapter of Dining for Women, which is one of the secular organizations that borrows from the religious notion of fellowship and joyous giving for a cause.  DFW has guests bring a pot luck dish to a host's home and then they all donate the money they would spend at a restaurant to a chosen cause empowering women worldwide.   Some groups have a subcommittee screen a list of finalists and the group votes on a final selection. In A Path Appears, we list some other great organizations—there’s even one called Beer for Books—that make giving a social and fun occasion.

Post by:
Topics: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,288 Responses)
  1. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

HYPOCRITICAL LYING piece of crap! Yes you did! We were on the penn state thread! Fock off you lying filthy s cu mbag!

January 15, 2015 at 3:31 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Thank you for giving me a place to start the search for his posts, Chrissy.

January 15, 2015 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  2. Philip

The bible judges avid users of Rx Pharmakia Druggery products, nit me. I just started a thread about Druggery is all. And got falsely accused if being a drunkard by two old women I have never met!

January 15, 2015 at 3:35 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I am glad you have finally admitted that you never met me, Philip.

It has finally gotten through to you that because we talked on the phone twice, and texted before you were blocked, that you have, indeed, never met me.

Progress.

January 15, 2015 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  3. Philip

Customers are on me. Toodles

January 15, 2015 at 3:41 pm | Reply
  4. Philip

Ta ta for now. Worky

January 15, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

How nice. I am home, enjoying a lovely cup of coffee.

January 15, 2015 at 3:44 pm | Reply
  5. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

Yea...RUN FOREST, RUN! Lyin b@st@rd!

January 15, 2015 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  6. Philip

God's word judges those addicted to mind altering Rx prescription drugs. Not me.

January 15, 2015 at 3:46 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

What does the Bible say about liars?

Are you being decided by Satan right now?

Because your lies are catching up to you.

January 15, 2015 at 3:58 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Deceived by Satan, rather.

January 15, 2015 at 4:00 pm |
  7. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

Your welcome @ banasy! Seek and yee shall find!

January 15, 2015 at 3:49 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Oh, I intend to. Pretending this is ghastly. And completely repulsive.

January 15, 2015 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  8. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

And YET he had the audacity to blame ME for being molested by my grandfather at 3 yrs old. And said i should be punished!!!! Pond s c u m has a higher rating than him!!!

January 15, 2015 at 5:27 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

It is easy to blame if one lies constantly.
      Much more self-amusement that way, at another's expense.

January 15, 2015 at 5:29 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Although the final punishment was inflicted by that awful man's own hand.

January 15, 2015 at 5:34 pm | Reply
      • Philip

The final punishment is inflicted by God. Not some man wearing a robe. Be that bathroom robe or priestly garb. Or robes fat female judges wear. Moo robes, they are called.

January 15, 2015 at 6:38 pm |
      • banasy©

Oh, ok...the final earthly punishment, you silly old fool.

Hey! Remember when you said Colin Powell and GW Bush were pedophiles because you looked at their eyes and knew?

Lol. I do.

January 15, 2015 at 7:43 pm |
  9. Philip

I didn't know your abuser had been reported to the police, chrissy. My disdain is for victims and mothers who keep familial abuse a secret from police for their entire lives. They take our only evidence against their abusers to the grave.

January 15, 2015 at 6:35 pm | Reply

She told you.
      Several times.
      You verbally abused her, anyhow.
      You either lack such reading comprehension that you need to revisit first grade, or in your self-righteous outrage and hurry to make her another example of one of your tangential "points", you ignored it to further re-open wounds with your constant condescension and ingrained nastiness.

January 15, 2015 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  10. Philip

YOU ugly old nasty gossip queens are LIARS about me. I NEVER said my abusers were Catholic priests you lying old bitties. And what dies it matter what Christian abused me. It were freaking Christian leaders. Got it? Further proof that ALL. religions are being led by idiots like the Pope or Jessie Jackyasome.

January 15, 2015 at 6:43 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Yes, you did. And when I find it, I will not only post it, but the link to it.

You will, once again, try and slither your way out of it, but oh, you did.

You may not remember what you say, but we do.

January 15, 2015 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  11. Philip

That's it. I'm going to sue you two old hags for character defamation. I'm sick of the two if you old hags constantly lying about me.

January 15, 2015 at 6:46 pm | Reply
    • Philip

*Character ASSASSINATION, rather. AND conspiracy to assassinate my character. Like a pack of coyotes.

January 15, 2015 at 6:52 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

In order to sue for character assassination, one must posses character in the first place.

I invite you to try.
      You will get laughed out of an attorney's office.

Once he does his due diligence and sees everything you have posted to malign is, he would probably volunteer to take our case to sue you, if I were the whiny, childish type such as you.

January 15, 2015 at 7:40 pm | Reply
  12. Philip

Poof! I'm out of this old hag and flea infested news blog. Jerks.

January 15, 2015 at 6:47 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Yeah, I've heard that before; as convincing as your "apologies" are, and as sincere.

January 15, 2015 at 7:48 pm | Reply
  13. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

Funny thing about the internet DUMBO....what you say here stays here!!!! Check the archives...oh say like...Jan 2011. You told raven about it. I just read it. And THATS the only Clue youre gonna GET. Research it for yourself why doncha!

January 15, 2015 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  14. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

Lol @ banasy! Its kinda hard to assassinate someone whos already DEAD from the neck up aint it? Lmao

January 15, 2015 at 7:50 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Oh, his stupidity is just astounding. I cannot fathom how he manages to breathe; good thing it's involuntary.

After all of the fabrications he has posted about us, and he is going to sue us?
      What is the going compensation for being a crybaby, anyway?

January 15, 2015 at 7:58 pm | Reply
  15. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

"@ raven, im still seeing my therapist two times a week trying to recover from MY horrendous ordeal"

January 15, 2015 at 7:54 pm | Reply
  16. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

THAT is a portion of YOUR conversation with raven. I will be kinder to you than youve been to me...and not post the rest.

January 15, 2015 at 8:01 pm | Reply
  17. banasy©

Ah....trips down memory lane...

phil
    @abc...I have indeed posted under different s/n's, most notably Ahkmed the terror guy. This is not to fool anyone, just to illustrate my point(s) You may recall that I did publicly apologize, not for what Ahkmed said, but for my posing. And I promised never to do it again. And as if abc is really you. Why attack me personally? Attack what I post, if you can.

January 2, 2011 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |

Another promise kept.

January 15, 2015 at 8:31 pm | Reply
  18. Wikileaks

Introducing Afrileaks A new service launching today hopes to safely connect whistleblowers with investigative journalists, encouraging a ‘new culture of accountability and justice’ across the continent.

January 15, 2015 at 8:31 pm | Reply
  19. Wikileaks

Oh such petty squabbles Americans engage in while the world watches. And laughs.

January 15, 2015 at 8:32 pm | Reply
  20. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

My bad...it was Oct 2011.

January 15, 2015 at 8:33 pm | Reply
  21. banasy©

Oh, another trip down that lane: another spin on the vicious dog story, the one he said happened within the last few years: note the word decades ago.

phil
    Another amusing story about firetrucks...One day a few decades ago, my youngest brother ran into the house yelling "Hey Philip, there's a pit-bull attacking a little girl outside !" So I slipped on my boots and ran outside wearing nothing but my boxer shorts. I kicked the dog as hard as I could to get it off the girl. The dog turned on me, and latched on to my left knee. (i still have the scars) Long story short, within a matter of minutes there were 3 squad cars, an Emergency vehicle, and a firetruck! on the scene. (the dog catchers arrived at last) Now, why was a firetuck called out on a man vs. dog situation? In case sparks flew from the dog's mouth and started a fire? You rarely see with your own eyes a firetruck actually fighting a fire.(other than on TV) You do see them parked in front of apartments and homes where there are no fires, where the 911 call was for a drug-overdose most commonly. Why is that?

January 2, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |

January 15, 2015 at 8:36 pm | Reply
    • Wikileaks

He's been attacked by dogs AND coyotes you stupid idiot. On many occasions. You got your wires crossed up is all. Senility, its called. Happens to hags quicker than to humble women.

January 15, 2015 at 8:40 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Oh, sure. I'm just posting evidence that the story changes over the years; is that neighbor girl still named Cindy, or has that changed, as well, phil?

January 15, 2015 at 9:02 pm |
      • banasy©

"He"? Talking about yourself in the third person is hardly the Mark of anyone humble. Perhaps senility has crept up on you, phil.

January 15, 2015 at 9:07 pm |
  22. Wikileaks

The NSA/CIA are not just operating on US citizens. Boko Haram in Nigeria, for example, is a covert CIA operation keeping Nigerians who complain about Nigeria’s oil profits flowing westward down. Shutting them up as it were. Africa is being stolen from. Afrileaks will prove to you just exactly who the thieves are. And then you can decide which side you are on. The side of Right or on the side of wrongdoing.

January 15, 2015 at 8:37 pm | Reply
  23. Wikileaks

No wait! Africa doesn't matter to US. Let's all talk about Philip shall we.

January 15, 2015 at 8:42 pm | Reply
  24. Party in my Panties

A trip down the memory lane involving one old dried up hag, a half-decent looking woman and a Mexican pool boy. The Memoirs of Donna Banas. On Snapfish account she deleted and now will go to the grave keeping it secret. Among other things.

January 15, 2015 at 8:47 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Philip, the pool boy, IIRC, was called Cabana Boy.

I have never had a Snapfish account.
      I have no need for a photo file-sharing account; years ago you said it was Photobucket that deleted; (which I never had, either....)

Can you possibly make up your mind as to which accounts I never had that I supposedly deleted? Thanks ever so much.

January 15, 2015 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  25. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

You are as transparent as those windows before you tint them! You need to quit huffin that crap dude! You LIED...LIE got caught....just MAN UP and admit it sheesh!

January 15, 2015 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  26. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

Lololol and i keep thinkin how he keeps trashin Bill Clinton over and over and lookie here....same damn thing!!! So ok...now ACOURSE im thinkin...he trashes ppl who take medication...i wonder...hmmm see where im goin with this?? Now how bout them food stamps? And hmmm oh yea...are you faking disability too??? OMG! You ARE arent you??? ACOURSE you are! FRAUD! FRAUD! FRAUD!

January 15, 2015 at 9:12 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Accourse. A tip of the hat to raven. Lu miss her presence here.

Well, Chrissy, those who complain the loudest about someone else's behavior are usually the biggest offenders.

And the tap dancing continues.

January 15, 2015 at 9:22 pm | Reply
  27. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

Im gonna toss this out here to the great deciever. Its a truce, of sorts. Admit you lied. Stop BASHING us at every turn. And this can all stay here! The choice is yours. If you decide not too...well be prepared...because I, for one, am not going to take one more second of your verbal abuse!

January 15, 2015 at 9:30 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Yes, this is a nice thought; I should like that, too, Chrissy.

January 15, 2015 at 10:08 pm | Reply
  28. chri§§y¥¥¥¥

I have to admit, i would think alot more highly of him if he accepts it.

January 15, 2015 at 10:17 pm | Reply
  29. pret chomeur

Il en va de même pour le TAEG, ou taux annuel effectif global, qui
    oscille entre 5 et 15% de la valeur totale du prêt.

March 29, 2015 at 6:09 am | Reply