January 9th, 2015

Blasphemy and the law of fanatics

By Fareed Zakaria

When governments try to curry favor with fanatics, eventually the fanatics take the law into their own hands. In Pakistan, jihadis have killed dozens of people whom they accuse of blasphemy, including a brave politician,Salmaan Taseer, who dared to call the blasphemy law a “black law.”

We should fight the Paris terrorists. But we should also fight the source of the problem. It’s not enough for Muslim leaders to condemn people who kill those they consider as blasphemers if their own governments endorse the idea of punishing blasphemy at the very same time. The U.S. religious freedom commission and the U.N. Human Rights Committee have both declared that blasphemy laws violate universal human rights because they violate freedom of speech and expression. They are correct.

Read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,606 Responses)
  1. chri§§y

Aha! Now i see where the "fanatics" fits into the topic! YOUR thread indeed! Hallucinate much? And @ Joey i totally agree with your comment about "those that create violence!" Bet you never thought that would happen huh? Me either to tell ya the truth...i am just totally fed up with disrespectful jerks thinking they can just take whatever they want! And hopefully NYC will get better soon!

January 9, 2015 at 10:16 am | Reply
  2. palintwit

With any luck today will be the day that Sarah Palin slips on a mooseburger, then falls flat on her face into a large platter of her famous s'mores and then gets bitten by trigtard's dog.

January 9, 2015 at 10:19 am | Reply
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©

I do not agree with Sarah Palin on many issues, but she is often correct when most liberals just laugh at her because of their group's peer pressure to continue to laugh.

January 9, 2015 at 10:40 am | Reply
      • banasy©

I think McCain's choice of a running mate was the reason he wasn't elected. I do not think the liberals had much to do with that particular decision.

January 9, 2015 at 10:45 am |
      • palintwit

She may have gone further in politics if she had taken elocution lessons as several of McCain's advisers suggested but she stubbornly refused. Having a shrill voice capable of shattering fine crystal put many people off.

January 9, 2015 at 10:57 am |
  3. chri§§y

Good morning @ banasy...i see someone has returned to their usual behaviour huh? Lucky you. I got your back girl ok? 😉 Philip behave yourself today ok?

January 9, 2015 at 10:20 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Chrissy, he has been very rude today; I do not understand why, when I have tried to be perfectly respectful to him.

January 9, 2015 at 10:40 am | Reply
  4. chri§§y

Lol well thats a good thing @ Philip....wouldnt want that bolt of lightening to strike YOU while we were all here watching, AND keystroking on OUR new thread! And ya know what you can do with that "shoo atti tude" right? BEHAVE i told you!

January 9, 2015 at 10:25 am | Reply
  5. chri§§y

Lol @ philip, and if you cant sing Pitbull's "Give me everything" how about his song "Fireball?" You are still taking requests are you not? Lmao

January 9, 2015 at 10:32 am | Reply
    • Philip

I only emcee at night when hardly anyone is here, Chrissy.

January 9, 2015 at 11:21 am | Reply
  6. chri§§y

Yes @ banasy ive read that! And you know why the same as i do! One thing hes been up all night. And second...he probably was dwelling on those painful topics we were discussing last night. You and i both know he handles that stuff different then we do, which is why im going to TRY and be more tolerant than i might normally be. But im not so foolish that i will promise that ok? Lol and thats because you know my tolerance of drunkeness aint what it used to be...meaning i have NONE lmao!

January 9, 2015 at 10:48 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Old habits die hard, I suppose, Chrissy.

It's all good.

January 9, 2015 at 10:55 am | Reply
  7. chri§§y

And yes @ Joey it is most definitely me! My city may not be in the news as much but i assure you our issues are the same! A week ago yesterday my 17 yr old neighbor boy was shot and killed for riding his bike on the edge of our sidestreet. Several months ago a 2yr old little girl from this neighborhood was shot in the face and killed so that would be her fathers last vision before he also, was shot and killed. And as he says today, unfortunately for him, he lived! So yes i totally agree with your post! I AM SICK TO DEATH of these jerks that keep creating all this violence!

January 9, 2015 at 10:57 am | Reply
  8. Philip

When someone posts a statement or poses a question it's called "starting a thread", Chrissy. Problem is old ladies like to unravel other people's threads. And imps as well. And posters of ultra-long copy/pastes of words not even they read.

January 9, 2015 at 11:04 am | Reply
    • banasy©

I am sorry if you think my posting to a topic you brought up to be "trashing"; especially as it relates to God.

I disagree. It's a conversation. It "unravels" nothing; it adds to the thread, not lessens it.

January 9, 2015 at 11:12 am | Reply
      • Philip

...shaking my leg trying to get rid of this little ankle biter doggie without having to stomp on it and put it out of it's own misery.

January 9, 2015 at 11:17 am |
      • banasy©

Aren't you the charming one?

I'm not miserable; that sobriquet belongs to the person who has to lash out because he was corrected in my first post of the day.

But thanks for wishing me dead; I will certainly have to decline your lovely invitation.

January 9, 2015 at 11:30 am |
  9. Philip

The violence is created by Druggery.

January 9, 2015 at 11:06 am | Reply
  10. Philip

Americans are a fairly decent people if you get them off their drugs. Otherwise it gets ugly. Fat and ugly.

January 9, 2015 at 11:09 am | Reply
  11. chri§§y

Do NOT lecture me @ Philip! This is a public domaine and it is OURS, for the moment anyway! Just because you were the first to post does NOT make it yours! And you can stop with your stupid name calling! Its lame and only makes you look foolish! And if YOU are lucky you may also grow old too! NOW BEHAVE YOURSELF!

January 9, 2015 at 11:10 am | Reply
    • banasy©

As I intend to live to be very elderly, I should think my age right now would put me into the "middle aged" category, Chrissy.

January 9, 2015 at 11:15 am | Reply
  12. chri§§y

And since youve brought it up twice now....youre a "fairly decent american" for the most part, when YOU are NOT on your drug of choice! But you change into something entirely different when you partake of THAT drug! Ya probably should stop throwing them stones now, before your house shatters!

January 9, 2015 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • Philip

I don't know for sure what drugs you take and you sure as heck don't know about me. Stop acting as if you can read peoples minds. Sheesh.

January 9, 2015 at 11:19 am | Reply
      • banasy©

Why is it permissible for you to exhibit the same behavior?

January 9, 2015 at 12:19 pm |
  13. Philip

Am waiting for Bob to come along and tell some old lady jokes for me to ignore.

January 9, 2015 at 11:18 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Envy isn't pretty, Philip. It's one of the seven deadly sins, no?

January 9, 2015 at 11:35 am | Reply
  14. Bob

A haggard old lady rides in a fancy hotel's elevator. On the second floor, a beautiful woman steps on and arrogantly says to the old lady, "Georgio, $100 an ounce."

On the next floor, an equally beautiful women steps on and says, "Chanel, $150 an ounce."

The old lady's floor approaches and as the doors open, she bends over, farts and says, "Broccoli, 49 cents a pound."

January 9, 2015 at 11:22 am | Reply
  15. chri§§y

Understood @ banasy! Didnt mean to insult you i was trying to make a point to Mr holier than thou! I see now though that hes past the point of reason! Damn i detest drunkards! Its a sign of weakness far greater than one who is following Drs orders...simply because THEY choose to be drunk and stupid!!! And ALWAYS its accompanied with MEANESS!!!!!

January 9, 2015 at 11:23 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Oh, you didn't insult me in the least, Chrissy; I knew what you were referring to.

January 9, 2015 at 11:33 am | Reply
  16. Bob

Women are the only people I know who can go out broke and come home drunk.

January 9, 2015 at 11:23 am | Reply
  17. Bob

Q: What do women, tornadoes and hurricanes have in common?

A: They all get the house.

January 9, 2015 at 11:24 am | Reply
  18. chri§§y

Ok see now...my tolerance has gone! Thank you philip!!! 😦

January 9, 2015 at 11:24 am | Reply
    • Bob

Nothing wrong with copy/paste jokes here, Chrissy. It's been pre-approved.

January 9, 2015 at 11:26 am | Reply
  19. chri§§y

And you can have YOUR damn thread @ philip! Enjoy talking to yourself!!!

January 9, 2015 at 11:29 am | Reply
    • Philip

What. My Bob jokes aren't funny?

January 9, 2015 at 11:37 am | Reply
  20. Bob

Q: What's six inches long, two inches wide and thrills women?

A: Money.

January 9, 2015 at 11:36 am | Reply
  21. Public Announcement

Blue Saffron's current an al temperature is 98℉

January 9, 2015 at 11:37 am | Reply
    • Philip

Is that a thermometer reading or just by feeling?

January 9, 2015 at 11:42 am | Reply
  22. Philip

An elderly, disheveled man walks into a brothel. "I want Natalie," the old man says.

"Sir, Natalie is one of our most expensive ladies. She charges $1000 per hour. Perhaps someone else?"

"No, I must see Natalie."

He reaches into his pocket and shows her ten $100 bills. The madam leads him to Natalie's room. The man pays Natalie, stays for an hour and leaves.

The next night, he appears again, demanding Natalie. Again the old man pays the $1000, stays for an hour and leaves.

When he shows up the third consecutive night, no one can believe it. Again, he hands Natalie ten $100 bills.

At the end of the hour, Natalie questions the old man, "No one has ever used my services three nights in a row! Where are you from?"

The old man replies, "I am from Chicago."

"Really?" replies Natalie, "I have a sister who lives there."

"Yes, I know," says the old man. "She gave me $3,000 to give to you."

January 9, 2015 at 11:39 am | Reply
  23. Philip

A man comes home to find his wife packing her bags and asks her where she's going.

"To Las Vegas. I found out there are men who will pay me $400 to do what I do to you for free."

The man started packing his bags. "Where are you going?" she asked.

"I'm going to Las Vegas with you. I want to see how you'll live on $800 a year."

January 9, 2015 at 11:43 am | Reply
  24. chri§§y

Q~Why cant women parallel park?
    A~ Because for years men have been telling them that 2 inches was really 6 inches!
    Asta la vista foolio! Lol

January 9, 2015 at 11:44 am | Reply
  25. Philip

One day a man came-to laying in the middle of the floor in the hallway with his wife stepping over him with her bags packed. Are you leaving me, honey? he asked. "Leaving you? I'm just now returning home. I've been gone for 3 days!"

January 9, 2015 at 11:50 am | Reply
  26. Philip

Lol. Back to work for me. Ttyl, ladies. You too, Donna. LOL

January 9, 2015 at 11:51 am | Reply
    • banasy©

Aw. You don't think I'm a lady. I'm crushed.

Not really. Anyone who would leave a lady stranded at the airport because he knew his lies would out him wouldn't recognize a lady, anyhow.

Therefore, I'm not offended at the blind man's psychosomatic inability to see.

January 9, 2015 at 12:15 pm | Reply
  27. bobcat2u

@ Philip
    As I haven't posted a single word prior to this, why do you feel the need to bring my name into this conversation ? Are you really that desperate for negative attention ? If you have no desire to read my posts, then why do you keep trying to bring me into the fold ? If you don't want to hear from me, then leave my name out of your rants.

January 9, 2015 at 11:52 am | Reply
    • rupert

@philip. Haha. Bobsnot told u off. & in front of the two old hags too. U brainless colorado pork face.

January 9, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Reply
  28. chri§§y

Lol @ bobcat...you tell him shredder! Hes just jealous ya know, right?

January 9, 2015 at 11:59 am | Reply
    • bobcat2u

I know chrissy. He claims to abhor my comments ans c/p jokes, yet he insists on making "subtle" remarks in an attempt to contribute more. I guess it's so he can attack those too.

January 9, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

I posit it is to cry persecution when someone defends themselves.

It is pretty transparent, actually.

January 9, 2015 at 12:22 pm |
  29. Philip

Your s/n is not Bob so stop your sniveling. Sheesh. Go back to the first page and address some of my serious comments. Stop cherry picking. You are a man. Not a boy or an old hag.

January 9, 2015 at 12:03 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

Subtlety doesn't seem to be a strong point for you Philip. What is there to address ?

January 9, 2015 at 12:12 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

You get unnaturally ticked off when someone does address you, Philip; how manly is that?

January 9, 2015 at 12:18 pm | Reply
  30. bobcat2u

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

– Frank Sinatra

January 9, 2015 at 12:07 pm | Reply
    • bobcat2u

When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin. When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. Sooooo, let's all get drunk, and go to heaven...

– Brian O'Rourke