January 9th, 2015

Blasphemy and the law of fanatics

By Fareed Zakaria

When governments try to curry favor with fanatics, eventually the fanatics take the law into their own hands. In Pakistan, jihadis have killed dozens of people whom they accuse of blasphemy, including a brave politician,Salmaan Taseer, who dared to call the blasphemy law a “black law.”

We should fight the Paris terrorists. But we should also fight the source of the problem. It’s not enough for Muslim leaders to condemn people who kill those they consider as blasphemers if their own governments endorse the idea of punishing blasphemy at the very same time. The U.S. religious freedom commission and the U.N. Human Rights Committee have both declared that blasphemy laws violate universal human rights because they violate freedom of speech and expression. They are correct.

Read the Washington Post column

Post by:
Topics: Fareed's Take

soundoff (1,606 Responses)
  1. Philip

Strong arm robbery and the law of fanatics, lunatics, welfare recipients, and all-around generally lazy people.

January 12, 2015 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  2. Reality

Philip has the knowledge of a flea.

January 12, 2015 at 7:45 pm | Reply
    • Philip

You forgot to say and has poo poo on his fingers.

January 12, 2015 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  3. Blue Saffroń

When Blue Saffroń writes, people read.
    When Blue Saffroń talks, people listen.

I AM Blue Saffroń and I make the world turn around.

January 12, 2015 at 7:51 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

You are nothing but an ego on two (fat) legs, Adam. Shut the fuck up already. (Notice the spelling, asshole? Yeah, that's free speech, you douche.)

Fareed couldn't care less about your bloviating, self-aggrandizing opinions.

January 12, 2015 at 7:56 pm | Reply
      • Philip

Holy crap @banasy. Such language.

January 12, 2015 at 7:58 pm |
      • Hannah

Jealous that you can't debate Blue Saffron, eh? Yup you people don't have the smarts therefore you resort to abuses. Understandable.

January 12, 2015 at 8:01 pm |
      • banasy©

There's nothing to debate, sock puppet Hannah. He's nothing. And you are merely another one of his many ID's. Piss off.

January 12, 2015 at 8:06 pm |
      • Philip

Are you cycling right now?

January 12, 2015 at 8:07 pm |

@Philip,

That had better not been directed at me.

January 12, 2015 at 8:12 pm |
      • Cristobal

Yup Hannah they are all rnvious of Blue Saffron.

January 12, 2015 at 8:19 pm |

Cristobal: nope

January 12, 2015 at 8:27 pm |
    • Hannah

Some even consider you as a messiah.

January 12, 2015 at 7:59 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

I'm sure you think yourself one. You'd be incorrect.

January 12, 2015 at 8:06 pm |
    • Black Saffron

When like Black Saffron be sayin' stuff ya know what I mean and writin' stuff and peeps be readin' stuff to. Ya know what I sayin'.

I am Black Saffron and I make gooder BBQ.

January 12, 2015 at 8:01 pm | Reply
    • Cristobal

You are everyone's hero Blue.

January 12, 2015 at 8:18 pm | Reply
  4. Blue Saffroń

Quack Quack Quack
    Fareed walks like a duck.
    Fareed talks like a duck.
    Fareed must be a duck.
    Quack Quack Quack.
    FOIE GRAS ANYONE !
    Merci, Mon Ami.

JE SUIS BLUE SAFFROŃ
    WHEIN I EMERGE, PEOPLE FOLLOW.

January 12, 2015 at 8:04 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Fareed is Muslim, same as your "character."

How very ignorant to bash a fellow Muslim.

January 12, 2015 at 8:08 pm | Reply
      • Cristobal

Wow you can't even write a sentence w/o abuses and racist comments. Illiterate from India.

January 12, 2015 at 8:20 pm |
      • banasy©

There is nothing racist at all about what I said. Perhaps you should examine your own definition of the word "racist".

Both Fareed and "Blue Saffron" are Muslim; Islam is not a race.

You know very well I am not from India, therefore, "Illiterate from India." is, itself, a bigoted statement to make.

January 12, 2015 at 8:24 pm |
      • Cristobal

You are a raypist Seyx offender hindu from India. Same India that Fareed is from ... A plagiarist.

January 12, 2015 at 8:28 pm |

Moron.

January 12, 2015 at 8:56 pm |
  5. Blue Saffroń

Fareed Zakaria, read my lips. Your biased bigotted reporting has been met with disdain. Your logic is flawed. Your facts are wrong. Your journalism is unethical. You are the epitomy of Plagiarism.

It is not surprising that you are from India. Most students from India in American colleges are cheaters and plagiarists. You know that well. Care to write an article on that? Of course not you won't.

January 12, 2015 at 8:09 pm | Reply
  6. rupert

Look out banasy. He will start his stupid lists soon.

January 12, 2015 at 8:10 pm | Reply
    • Cristobal

And you are a raypist from India?

January 12, 2015 at 8:21 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Wow you can’t even write a sentence w/o abuses and racist comments. Illiterate from India.

January 12, 2015 at 8:26 pm |
      • Cristobal

Thise are facts. There us a raype in India every 2 seconds.

January 12, 2015 at 8:29 pm |
  7. Blue Saffroń

When Blue Saffroń says jump, people say how high.

When Blue Saffroń says bend down, people say how far down.

I Am Blue Saffroń and I invented Netpenmanship.

January 12, 2015 at 8:14 pm | Reply
  8. rupert

@Blue Saffron. NOBODY CARES ABOUT WHAT U HAVE TO SAY.

January 12, 2015 at 8:14 pm | Reply
    • Cristobal

Then why are u here? LMFAO

January 12, 2015 at 8:17 pm | Reply
  9. Cristobal

Agreed Blue Saffron. Just look at this guy emerge under many IDs. You da man, o messiah; o' prophet.

January 12, 2015 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  10. rupert

Oh what a coincidence:
    Blue Saffron
    Hannah
    Cristobal
    ...and all these muppets always agree.

January 12, 2015 at 8:22 pm | Reply
    • Cristobal

Shut up tiffin boy hindoo from India. Go raype someone. Leave analysis to us Ivy Leaguers.

January 12, 2015 at 8:26 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Wow you can’t even write a sentence w/o abuses and racist comments. Bigot.

January 12, 2015 at 8:28 pm |
      • Cristobal

India is the raype capital of the world per CNN.

January 12, 2015 at 8:30 pm |

Per you, you mean.

January 12, 2015 at 8:54 pm |
  11. Cristobal

Listen, ISIS \ Syria\ India are piece of the same puzzle and no discussion of one can take place without discussion of the other. Get that Fareed? Now go find your roots in India and see for yourself how your ancestors were subjugated and suffocated by India.

January 12, 2015 at 8:24 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Wow you can’t even write a sentence w/o abuses and racist comments. Bigot.

January 12, 2015 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  12. rupert

Just one stupid as.ss, blue muppets and a load of very ignorant lists.

January 12, 2015 at 8:25 pm | Reply
  13. Philip

"ISIS" are US-Backed Muslim Brotherhood militants, Syria has seen about 4 million displaced due to drought and lack of water (not "civil war"), and Indians are paying Carlye Group/ENRON 3-5 times more for electricity than originally agreed upon.

January 12, 2015 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  14. Cristobal

Yup,

JE SUIS BLUE SAFFRON

January 12, 2015 at 8:31 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

It is about time you admitted that; good boy.

January 12, 2015 at 8:59 pm | Reply
  15. Philip

Wondering what time of the month it is in suburban Chi town.

January 12, 2015 at 8:31 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I lost the capability to “cycle” 13 years ago when I had cancer.
      You know this. I pray you remember it.

If you ever say something so misogynistically condescending to me again….just don’t.

I realize you enjoy causing pain in others; that’s your schaedenfruede. I get that, but stop it, all right?

Stop crossing that line, please. My language on the first blog is nothing you haven’t said yourself, and coming from someone who calls me a cunt on a regular basis, is rather hilarious. Stop you stupid pearl-clutching display, all righty?

Be grateful it wasn’t directed at you.

It can be, if you keep crossing the line of impropriety concerning me, my husband, my children, my friends, and my past, both historical and medical.

Now cut the sly little references. I'm in a perfectly fine mood, and your childish jibes are as profoundly silly as the self-aggrandizing proclamations BS is constantly spewing.

January 12, 2015 at 8:47 pm | Reply
  16. Hannah

JE SUIS BLUE SAFFRON

January 12, 2015 at 8:32 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Translated: "I am Blue Saffron."

No kidding.

January 12, 2015 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  17. Philip

When was the last bad hair day anyway?

January 12, 2015 at 8:32 pm | Reply
  18. Cantor

JE SUIS BLUE SAFFRON

January 12, 2015 at 8:33 pm | Reply
  19. Philip

The USA is the raype capital of the world according to the DoJ. The Department of Justice outranks CNN.

January 12, 2015 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  20. Chri§§y

HE SUIS BLUE SAFFROŃ

January 12, 2015 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  21. Chri§§y

Hi rupert, banasy. Had a nice day? How did your unemployment check collecting go?

January 12, 2015 at 8:36 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

I'm not unemployed, so.....KMA.

January 12, 2015 at 8:51 pm | Reply
  22. Philip

Who no jihad on The Royal House of Saud ruling Saudi Arabia?

January 12, 2015 at 8:36 pm | Reply
    • Philip

...besides the fact that Saudi citizens are even more drugged than US citizens. Saudi youth smoke crystal meth more than American youth who smoke quite a bit of it each year. What other things prevent jihad in Saudi Arabia?

January 12, 2015 at 8:39 pm | Reply
  23. Chri§§y

Hi Philip. Are we on for gang rayping in New Delhi tonight.

January 12, 2015 at 8:37 pm | Reply
    • Philip

Sure. But you row the old F-150 this time.

January 12, 2015 at 8:39 pm | Reply
      • Philip

...Once we hit The Mosquito Coast I want to take a detour through The Congo and cross-in to Uganda and visit Mukazi. OK?

January 12, 2015 at 8:41 pm |
      • Philip

Oh! And I want to go to Swaziland near the South African border and see that giant human footprint archaeologists recently found. It's almost 3 freaking feet long!

January 12, 2015 at 8:49 pm |
      • banasy©

That's NOT Chrissy, Philip. It's the lister.

SMH.

January 12, 2015 at 8:50 pm |
      • Philip

I know, @banasy. Was just sitting here bored out of my gord or how u spell.

January 12, 2015 at 8:52 pm |
    • Philip

If we wait till late February or early March we could pick coffe beans to help finance our trip. And have enough money for new Delhi and peanuts for ravenous monkeys.

January 12, 2015 at 8:51 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Then have fun with Adam, because that's who you're talking to.

January 12, 2015 at 8:53 pm |
      • Philip

. pretty sure it's illegal to feed coffee beans to ravenous monkeys. So we would have to cash them in and buy peanuts I think.

January 12, 2015 at 8:53 pm |
      • Philip

*Adumb, I say. And I would rather have fun with you but we seem to not play well together. he he

January 12, 2015 at 8:55 pm |
  24. Chri§§y

Banasy, get your night vision for gang rayping tonight.

January 12, 2015 at 8:53 pm | Reply
    • banasy©

Why? I'm not doing that. Stop projecting, Adam.

January 12, 2015 at 8:56 pm | Reply
  25. Chri§§y

Gnite. Going to get groceries for grammy. She has alzheimers..

January 12, 2015 at 8:56 pm | Reply
  26. Philip

Have you been to inner city Chicago lately, banasy? I've never been there. Was only at O'Hare in 1996 and stayed at a seedy hotel just north of the airport for one night.

January 12, 2015 at 8:57 pm | Reply

Nope, not lately.

January 12, 2015 at 9:07 pm | Reply
      • Philip

When was the last time? And have u ever heard of my namesake Camp Douglas in Chicago during the "Civil War".

January 12, 2015 at 9:17 pm |
      • banasy©

Oh, it was before Cabrini Green was torn down....years.

There are pockets throughout Chicago that are bad. As there are everywhere. I don't know that all of them can be termed "inner city", but YMMV. I stay out of areas of the South Side, for instance, but there are other parts of the SS that are perfectly fine....

Camp Douglas? The infamous POW camp? Of course I've heard of it. Shameful conditions.

January 12, 2015 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Philip

Sheesh. I've even dreampt/fantasized about a small group of women having their way with me. What's the big deal? But there is something strange about me. I can't even "get it up" if more than one woman is in the room. And if a man is there, ain't nothing going to happen from my end.

January 12, 2015 at 9:00 pm | Reply
  28. Philip

My uncle Sydney came down with "alzheimers" which is really mad cow disease and exposure to fertilizers. He would be sitting there having a pleasant conversation one minute and be peeing in the corner of his living room the next and complaining we had folled him into the restroom. Lmao

January 12, 2015 at 9:03 pm | Reply
    • Philip

RIP Sydney B. Pugh. My second most favorite uncle ever. Sidney was born December 2nd, 1911. February 28th, 1994 Sidney Pugh passed away in Fruita, Colorado at the age of 82. He was a custom hay baler by trade. A hard working man who supported his faithful wife Verna and all of their children up until the day he died. And left a handsome inheritance I might add.

January 12, 2015 at 9:10 pm | Reply

Philip.

Both Alzheimer's and mad cow disease involve protein prions, but they are two very separate diseases.

I know you'll argue, but they are two different diseases.

January 12, 2015 at 9:11 pm | Reply
      • Philip

Agree to disagree rule is now in effect. he he. My uncle Sid was really something of a man though. 🙂

January 12, 2015 at 9:14 pm |
      • Philip

...and am very impressed that you are familiar with prions. Most of US have never heard of them.

January 12, 2015 at 9:15 pm |
      • banasy©

I spoke of prions YEARS ago on TJI when there was a story about Mad Cow disease (which affects only cows, btw; Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is the human equivalent.)

January 12, 2015 at 9:22 pm |
      • Philip

No. Mad cow disease afflicts all animals that have spines. It's called "chronic wasting disorder" among big game in Colorado like deer and elk. And is so pervasive these days, we Colorado Elk ranchers have been prohibited by the FDA from selling Elk meat to other US states and foreign countries. You are wrong about mad cow, Donna. And do not wish to argue with you tonight. Might we just sort of relax and enjoy company?

January 12, 2015 at 9:37 pm |
      • banasy©

Incorrect. Mad Cow disease affects cows only. It's formal disease name is Bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Bovine meaning....cow.

The variant of the human form is called Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

January 12, 2015 at 9:57 pm |

The prion link between MC and Alzheimer's:

I'm not wrong, Philip.
        We can have a nice conversation if you'd like; but I am not wrong.

January 12, 2015 at 10:01 pm |
      • banasy©

Chronic Wasting Disease affects deer and elk in much the same way, but it isn't Mad Cow Disease.

"No relationship is known between CWD and any other TSE of animals or people."

January 12, 2015 at 10:09 pm |
  29. Cow in a Bottle ©

Just took a flight from Newark, NJ to Chicago. This guy sitting next to me was smelling like rotten onions. I asked him where he was from. He muttered Bangalore, India. I apologized politely to him and told him that I was nauseous due to his BO. That I will call flight attendant to move to another seat. I did so but none were available. Halfway through the flight he opens up a tupperware. It had some kind of fish curry. The smell coupled with his BO did me in. B'fore I could get up I started throwing up all over including into his curry. I was sick. The doctor on the flight helped me move to the toilet. Thank you. I was later told that guy from India kept on eating his curry and licking his fingers in sheer joyful ecstasy. More power to him. I have landed at O'Hare and am still sick from the odor.

January 12, 2015 at 9:05 pm | Reply
    • Philip

I had that very same experience riding a Greyhound Bus from Lost Wages, NV to Phoenix. I was sandwiched in-between two great big flabby armed colic-green eatin biatches. Omg is was torture. Not so much the BO. But they would NOT stop talking.

January 12, 2015 at 9:12 pm | Reply
      • Philip

Oh! my mammy did this and Oh! my mammy did that. Over and over and over again. The wisdom of two overly-obese flabby armed women I had to endure. When I got off the bus all I could do was praise God.

January 12, 2015 at 9:26 pm |
    • Philip

You see, me ex-wife Laura whom I love and adore had decided she wanted to get back with me. And so her and my daughter Leah drove to Las Vegas where I was, where I had quit my job and was waiting for them to arrive to go to Colorado with me and start a new life. We got into a heated argument on the way and so I stopped and got out of the car for some fresh air. She drove-off and left me in the middle of the Nevada desert! My freaking wallet was in the glove compartment! lmao I had to walk 15 miles to a small town and catch a bus back to Phoenix. Thru the freaking desert with buzzards flying over me!Her mother my mother-in-law wired me $300 bucks and said "Yeah. Laura can be like that". Lol

January 12, 2015 at 9:33 pm | Reply
      • Philip

We were on a side road enjoying the vistas of Lake Mead and beyond. Making a small vacation out of our journey to Colorful Colorado. I gambled. And instead of walking back or forth on the side road we were on (I had no idea where I was because Laura had been driving and I had just awoke to her having ran the car almost out of gas) I trapsed across the desert catty corner based on visions of Nevada maps I had in my head. And was fortunate it was only 15 miles with no water or I would have died before finding a pay phone. We did not have cell phones back then.

January 12, 2015 at 9:51 pm |
  30. Philip

"Nope". That's totally mid-western girl right there.

January 12, 2015 at 9:18 pm | Reply
    • Philip

...this was an invitation to you @banasy. To have a lite convo with me for once. Or twice, actually.

January 12, 2015 at 9:39 pm | Reply
      • banasy©

Sure. What do you want to chat about?

January 12, 2015 at 10:13 pm |